Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Mods, change my username to 3a768eea-cbda-4926-a82d-831cb89092aa. TIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I am also fine with a numeric incremental naming policy, as long as I am 1. Maybe I will settle for 2 or 3.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Manslaughter posted:

Perhaps the user can adopt a new simple name when using the software. We could call it, ah, uh, a user name.

This would be okay-ish in a system where the contact was actually using the software. But if I get your business card from a sales visit and I'm back at my desk entering your info into the system so I can record the visit and fill out a report, send you a thank you letter, and a price quote, it gets a bit more complicated.

I mean unless we want people to put their usernames on their business cards. Or I can just call you up a couple days after the meeting. "Hey thanks for taking the time to meet with me last week. I'm working on your pricing but in order to enter you into our system I need to get your nick name".

HardDisk posted:

Mods, change my username to 3a768eea-cbda-4926-a82d-831cb89092aa. TIA

Hi!
My name is 3a768eea-cbda-4926-a82d-831cb89092aa.
Hi!
My name is 3a768eea-cbda-4926-a82d-831cb89092aa
er wika wika
3a768eea-cbda-4926-a82d-831cb89092aa.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Subjunctive posted:

I refuse to create joinder with your schema.

It's "I do not consent to joinder...". Geez I bet you even pay your traffic 'citations' when they're issued by those 'law' enforcement officers who don't even have three forms of ID :rolleyes:

xzzy posted:

We can form a committee to run the HNS, a hierarchal distributed database to convert GUID's to human readable "common names."

Only three surnames are currently supported though.. .smith, .williams and .johnson. In a few years once the infrastructure is set up we'll have an auction to create new top level surnames.

But what about future people born on Mars? Or the moon? We'll have to go up another level and start with .earth. poo poo, that's taken. OK, we'll just start with .moon and .mars and fill in the rest when this gets some traction. I'll start the wiki.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Munkeymon posted:

It's "I do not consent to joinder...". Geez I bet you even pay your traffic 'citations' when they're issued by those 'law' enforcement officers who don't even have three forms of ID :rolleyes:

But what about future people born on Mars? Or the moon? We'll have to go up another level and start with .earth. poo poo, that's taken. OK, we'll just start with .moon and .mars and fill in the rest when this gets some traction. I'll start the wiki.

Make sure they all fall under .sol

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Manslaughter posted:

I am also fine with a numeric incremental naming policy, as long as I am 1. Maybe I will settle for 2 or 3.

Number 1 is clearly Adam. :colbert:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Munkeymon posted:

I think taser dude was "create", but I'm not going to listen on the work bus to find out.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A7U5eJN3hLI

Good luck putting all his colons into your software, too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Related naming horror: at one point Netscape Communicator added automatic sorting of Cc and To lines by name (I forget what comparator function is used). After release of that update, the Japan (I think) sales team lost their poo poo because in Japan the ordering in those lists has to do with rank and deference and such. Whoops.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Subjunctive posted:

I think taser dude was "create", but I'm not going to listen on the work bus to find out.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A7U5eJN3hLI

Good luck putting all his colons into your software, too.

I'm just remembering a video where they're dragging one of them out of his car while he's screaming I DO NOT CONSENT over and over and the cop just says "you don't have to" or some such :boom:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Subjunctive posted:

Related naming horror: at one point Netscape Communicator added automatic sorting of Cc and To lines by name (I forget what comparator function is used). After release of that update, the Japan (I think) sales team lost their poo poo because in Japan the ordering in those lists has to do with rank and deference and such. Whoops.

Uh, easy solution, first name on the list is now CEO.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
How does the Culture program around the naming issue?

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Even going ASCII only has problems. Before the letter Ĺ/ĺ was introduced in Danish, it was a single digraph, Aa/aa. Ĺ was only introduced in 1948, and the double a is still a perfectly legal alternative. It's also much more common in names than Ĺ is.

Since Ĺ is the last letter of the alphabet, the given name Aase or the city Aabenraa are sorted after William and Viborg. Of course there are exceptions and the name Aaron (although it's not very common) should come before Adam. Good luck explaining the difference to a computer.

you could spell it A(U+034F COMBINING GRAPHEME JOINER)aron.

I believe similar issues exist in French with oe (ś) (and Oe in Danish happens to be a different spelling of Ř), and in German with ü/ue and ß/Ss.

NFX fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 15, 2015

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

My name contains an ASCII \0, what now C/C++ coders?!

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Soricidus posted:

You are in the minority, then. Most people do in fact want their names to be mangled in some way. Fred Bloggs wants his letters to be addressed to "Dr Frederick S Bloggs" and begin "Dear Fred". But Abdul Rahman bin Yahya will be rather dismayed if you write "Dear Abdul"!

So always write "Abdul Rahman bin Yahya". That's the point: don't mangle because you'll do it wrong, that's a guarantee. What I find strange is that people keep defending this, yet every use for mangling names tends to be something that is completely broken in an internationalization context.

Not mangling may not be perfect, at least it's not adding complexity just to ensure the problem actively gets worse.

quote:

Strip out everything that's not a-z, hyphen, apostrophe, or period. I don't think it's too unreasonable either. People with weird rear end names are probably used to it and are already aware of the issues from anything else they've dealt with?

You're in the right thread, that's all I can really say.

quote:

I have a name picked out for a future daughter that has a diaeresis, and I'm resigned to the fact that more places will get it wrong than get it right.

My kids are both ASCII and preconceptions-Americans-have-about-names compliant. Easier to fix the hardware than the software.

quote:

std::string?

Hiowf fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 15, 2015

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Skuto posted:

So always write "Abdul Rahman bin Yahya". That's the point: don't mangle because you'll do it wrong, that's a guarantee. What I find strange is that people keep defending this, yet every use for mangling names tends to be something that is completely broken in an internationalization context.
It's almost like businesses who only have customers in one country don't give a poo poo about internationalization and want software that supports what they already do.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Plorkyeran posted:

It's almost like businesses who only have customers in one country don't give a poo poo about internationalization and want software that supports what they already do.

Yeah, nobody ever moves to one country from another one.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.
I didn't realize that GTAV was only sold in the USA.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Not so much a coding horror but some bright spark apparently decided to do some "tidying" on a production db and tried to rearrange columns in a live table using a gui in a db tool.

Predictably this massively hosed up the table and said tool is now banned.

The mystery is, if you don't know what you are doing why would you do this and if you know what you're doing why the gently caress are you drag and dropping changes in a gui?

Edit: And from what I remember you always need to do a drop and rebuild to change column order so it would have hosed up either way.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 15, 2015

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, nobody ever moves to one country from another one.

They may not be correct to not give a poo poo, but that doesn't magically make them give a poo poo.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, on the topic of bad games. My Windows user name has a space in it, so my %USERPROFILE% is "C:\Users\First Last".

In C:\Users\ there's a file called "First" (no extension). Its contents?

C:\Users\First posted:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\Uplay.exe Last\UninstalString2.txt

I don't even know how you'd have to redirect an output to mess up like that, but if anyone can, it's Ubisoft.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Not so much a coding horror but some bright spark apparently decided to do some "tidying" on a production db and tried to rearrange columns in a live table using a gui in a db tool.

Predictably this massively hosed up the table and said tool is now banned.

The mystery is, if you don't know what you are doing why would you do this and if you know what you're doing why the gently caress are you drag and dropping changes in a gui?

Edit: And from what I remember you always need to do a drop and rebuild to change column order so it would have hosed up either way.

The only reason I can imagine needing to rearrange columns in a table is so that "select * from table" returns the columns in the desired order, which is a coding horror in and of itself. A simple "select col5, col1, col10 from table" would have accomplished the same thing.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

GrumpyDoctor posted:

There's got to be some purely technical solution to this centuries-old rat's nest of fuzzy definitions, cultural assumptions, and special cases. We're software developers, we can figure anything out!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

Hi, I'm Hughlander.UnitedStates.NorthAmerica.Earth.Sol.Orion.MilkyWay.LocalGroup.Virgo.Laniakea.ObservableUniverse and you are?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Which observable universe?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Volguus posted:

The only reason I can imagine needing to rearrange columns in a table is so that "select * from table" returns the columns in the desired order, which is a coding horror in and of itself. A simple "select col5, col1, col10 from table" would have accomplished the same thing.

I will admit that I thought about this once when I was feeling autistic but after 30 seconds of checking what was involved (copy to temp table>drop>recreate>copy from temp to live) I abandoned it as not worth it and likely to go horribly wrong.

Drag and drop for DB schema changes though I mean come on. The grognards talking about command line only were right!

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Some people may have witnessed me professing that Powershell is actually an okay language.

I would like to walk that position back. It rivals PHP in its badness.

Here's some fun code that you might write in Powershell:

code:
function Load-Stuff
{
  $results = {"status1"=(load-thing1), "status2"=(load-thing2)}
  return $results
}

function Test-OtherThing
{
  Load-Stuff
  $result = $false
  if ($false) # a function was here, but I replaced it with its return value for brevity
  {
    $result = $true
  }
  return $result
}
Given this code, what might you expect this to output?

code:
if (Test-OtherThing)
{
  "Powershell sucks"
}
else
{
  "Powershell is sort of ok I guess"
}
Perhaps there's a little bit of a spoiler in there.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

Wait, that means that if I attach a debugger to an existing process, the thread names won't be there? What the gently caress?

I would assume you get a numeric thread ID.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
developers developers developers developers

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
also here's what i was talking about with the touch events http://the-witness.net/news/2012/10/wm_touch-is-totally-bananas/

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I regularly rank my to/cc lines by relevance of the message to the addressee. Is the horror the feature or the reaction to it?

(I don't really see value in auto-sorting as a feature in the first place)

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Windows messages are bad, who knew? It's all a giant pile of hacks dating back to win 3.x.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
This is amazing.

code:
function ReturnFalse { return $false }

function Test1
{
  return $false
}
if (Test1) { "never prints" }

function Test2
{
  ReturnFalse
}
if (Test2) { "never prints" }

function Test3
{
  ReturnFalse
  return $false
}

if (Test3) { "powershell sucks" }

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

VikingofRock posted:

if (name[i] == \0)
name[i] = \n

:colbert:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 15, 2015

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Dylan16807 posted:

This is amazing.

code:
function ReturnFalse { return $false }

function Test1
{
  return $false
}
if (Test1) { "never prints" }

function Test2
{
  ReturnFalse
}
if (Test2) { "never prints" }

function Test3
{
  ReturnFalse
  return $false
}

if (Test3) { "powershell sucks" }

It's not necessarily intuitive, but it's well-defined behavior.
http://stacktoheap.com/blog/2013/06/15/things-that-trip-newbies-in-powershell-pipeline-output/

You can pipe the output of ReturnFalse into out-null so that it doesn't put the extra $false into the pipeline.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Ithaqua posted:

It's not necessarily intuitive, but it's well-defined behavior.
http://stacktoheap.com/blog/2013/06/15/things-that-trip-newbies-in-powershell-pipeline-output/

You can pipe the output of ReturnFalse into out-null so that it doesn't put the extra $false into the pipeline.

A lot of the things PHP does are "well-defined behavior" too, that doesn't make them any less of a horror.

This is unjustifiable behavior. Anyone who has ever written code in any language but Powershell is going to be surprised by this.

And if you're lucky you'll be surprised by it when writing some one-off script. If you're me, today, you'll find out about it because your deployment system written entirely in PS (which is, itself, a horror) decided to take a code path that no one expected, taking down several production servers.

I wasn't the one that wrote the offending code, but if four devs staring at the code (two of whom write PS daily) can't figure out what's happening for hours then I don't know if you can really blame the person who did.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

if (name[i] == \0)
name[i] == \n

:colbert:

My name contains a bell and two device control 1 characters.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Manslaughter posted:

I wish mine did. :smith:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Manslaughter posted:

Two turn tables and a microphone.

where = _.at("its")

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Just remember that if you had a single "full name" field, users would get confused and be idiots that just put their first name, or so somebody said on HN once. The right schema is really the one that gets the most conversions.

One time some software I worked on thought two people were the same because two different Outlook address books had the same cellphone number for them: it was "same".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Skuto posted:

Not mangling may not be perfect, at least it's not adding complexity just to ensure the problem actively gets worse.

You're in the right thread, that's all I can really say.

No your solution isn't going to work 100% either. It's over simplifying a very complex problem. It's amusing to me that everyone arguing for this solution wants to be super friendly for all international cultures and situations, by removing all of the localization standards from the equation. :ironicat:

The best solution to this problem is probably the suggested "Enter your full legal name: _________" then "What would you like to be called? (E.g.: When we email you.) Name: ____________" Then you get their full legal name for identification or legal purposes, and then a proper name to identify them with.

But you're still going to need to apply some constraints here. Max length is the first thing that comes to mind, unless you want Janice “Lokelani” Keihanaikukauakahihuliheekahaunaele or any of those other people on the long names list to blow up anything you want to display it on. Is forcing her to truncate it herself worse than it being cut off everywhere? There's probably no right answer to that. I can see people getting upset that you made them shorten it, and upset that your letter head's address field cuts it off.

Aside from that anything else you want to interface with in the States is probably going to want First Name Last Name formats. Yeah it would be nice if they didn't, and hopefully that changes, but until then this is what you have to deal with. Marketing selects a company that sends out your mailers and they want the data submitted as First name and Last name, or Sales wants a report of all of the contacts in MI that ordered over 50k last year, ordered by last name. At some point you have to say "No I can't meet this requirement." or "poo poo I need to parse my names." One of those situations you can probably get away with, but one of them will be a bit difficult to explain.

I'm not saying our solution is perfect either. But we sat down, thought about our customer base, thought about how contact names are used company wide, decided what our anticipated needs would be, and then decided on our constraints. The initial script to clean up the junk was less than 1% of the contacts in the system. All new contacts entered must conform the to constraints, which are fairly reasonable given our customer base. Overall I think it turned out pretty well.

Anyway, the whole thing is a horror. No answer is going to work 100% of the time, so I don't think it's unreasonable to try and target a reasonable set of constraints with a high success ratio.