Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

John Gabriel posted:

That was the year that Alonzo [Mourning] got [$105 million]. I know that [O’Neal’s] representation wanted in excess of that. There was a legitimate point of time, still early in Shaquille’s career, where he hadn’t really won anything yet. No one was doubting his talent, but it was reasonable to argue what was fair market value. We were a young franchise and we had some things going [for us] like no state tax.

Shaq posted:

They didn’t match quick enough. Forget matching. You’ve got to make the offer at the beginning. Everyone knows I wanted to stay. My house is 80,000 freaking square feet. You think I wanted to just leave that thing? Eighty thousand. It ain’t like I was planning to go.

Yeah, good call on that one. Let's lowball a 24-year old Shaq!

Shaq posted:

The [Magic] had [an offer of] 80 [million] and then they put up billboards [that] said, “No man’s worth $100 million.” Jerry West said, “I’ll give you whatever you want.” And then, the crazy thing is, I was going to come back [to Orlando] and get the 80. That’s when Juwan Howard got [$101 million] and Mourning got 105. So we called John [Gabriel] up and John wasn’t talking right, and Jerry West said, “Hey, right now we can give you 98, but we can probably get you some things on the side.” He called me later — about three in the morning — and said, “We’re going to get you 120.” I said, “I’ll meet you over there.”

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.
Matthew Dellavedova nearly posted a historic season of greater than .4 3P% and less than .3 2P%, but just missed it by ending up at .407 3P% and .307 2P%. He's still the only qualified player in history to have a 3P% that high and a 2P% that low. Perhaps the most amazing part is he had a higher shooting percentage on threes than on shots taken within three feet of the basket. :stare:

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I'm ready to get insanely salty about James Harden.

Same. I am going to shed so many pissy tears when the mavs lose the series to Harden and Josh Smith. :barf:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
If Milwaukee had Knight, Parker, and Sanders they could probably beat Chicago in 5 games. Ohhh well.

I think Memphis v Portland is the closest series in the west. It looks like Afflalo might play, so at least they'll have someone at sg. Offense vs defense series are hard to predict.

Hand Knit posted:

Anything that rests this series of the Raptors having to defend guards or the perimeter in general doesn't leave me feeling super optimistic.

Exactly. Toronto is probably a better team than Washington by an alright margin, but they match up so poorly that it can't be ignored. Wall will kill them over and over and over unless Amir Johnson is there to clean things up. It looks like he's going to play at least.

Beal is going to play too, which tilts the balance toward Washington, in my mind.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 16, 2015

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Paul Pierce is going to travel city to city defeating the Raptors in the playoffs every year until his retirement.

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.
I feel like Toronto has enough bench pieces to find a lineup that matches up well.

The fact that Washington barely shoots threes should make it a bit easier to load up on Wall.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jack's Flow posted:

Yeah, good call on that one. Let's lowball a 24-year old Shaq!

As is usually the case Shaq seems completely full of poo poo throughout that whole thing so I'd take everything he says with a massive grain of salt.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Salt? I'm still salty about that bullshit series against the Maverick 10 years ago. gently caress the Dallas. gently caress Cuban crying to league about screes and gently caress their lovely rear end player who is allowed to steal the ball while being out of bounds.

gently caress

you

Dallas

remember
Nov 23, 2006
So Joey Crawford tried flopping
http://streamable.com/g35n

Also it looks like Brooks might actually be gone, or at least be put on a really short leash for next season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--thunder-to-evaluate-scott-brook-s-future-as-coach-052154505.html

Faxanadu
Apr 18, 2003

EvanTH posted:

Paul Pierce is going to travel city to city defeating the Raptors in the playoffs every year until his retirement.

The only thing that can stop a Raptor is another dinosaur. Get em, PP.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I believe in the Young Bucks. They're too sweet.

Also if you don't put at least one upset in your playoff predictions you're doing it wrong.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Jack's Flow posted:

The [Magic] had [an offer of] 80 [million] and then they put up billboards [that] said, “No man’s worth $100 million.” Jerry West said, “I’ll give you whatever you want.” And then, the crazy thing is, I was going to come back [to Orlando] and get the 80. That’s when Juwan Howard got [$101 million] and Mourning got 105. So we called John [Gabriel] up and John wasn’t talking right, and Jerry West said, “Hey, right now we can give you 98, but we can probably get you some things on the side.” He called me later — about three in the morning — and said, “We’re going to get you 120.” I said, “I’ll meet you over there.”

drat, if you can't top Juwan Howard money for Shaq then you did something wrong as a GM.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
I'm nervous about the Raptors finding a good matchup. JV and Ross looked good last night and they need to be on point in the post season.
I also may have discovered the origins of Klay Thompson

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Eratik posted:

I feel like Toronto has enough bench pieces to find a lineup that matches up well.

The fact that Washington barely shoots threes should make it a bit easier to load up on Wall.

Wsh/Tor Mem/Por and Lac/Sas are the series that will require the most adjustments and lineup tweaks, I think

Washington's three point shooters are Wall, Beal, Pierce, Garret Temple, Rasual Butler, and Drew Gooden. They play gooden as a stretch power forward and sometimes pierce, we'll see pierce more as that in the playoffs. They are one of only two teams in the league that generate open midrange jumpers. Depending on Toronto's prerogative they could keep getting those. It should be interesting either way.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 16, 2015

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Did someone say that Tyler "Psych T" Hansbrough has been starting at the 4 while Amir has been out?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Um guys the Raptors have killed the Wizards this year

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

wangvicous posted:

Also it looks like Brooks might actually be gone, or at least be put on a really short leash for next season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--thunder-to-evaluate-scott-brook-s-future-as-coach-052154505.html

Great news for Thunder fans. If your coach basically has 3 MVP-caliber players and Serge Ibaka and he still can't do gently caress all then there's maybe a problem.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

hitze posted:

Um guys the Raptors have killed the Wizards this year

I thought they killed them once and then won a couple of close games, and the wins were earlier in the year before whatever the hell happened in the second half of the season happened (to both teams, I guess).

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Hand Knit posted:

I thought they killed them once and then won a couple of close games, and the wins were earlier in the year before whatever the hell happened in the second half of the season happened (to both teams, I guess).

yessir
3-0 v Wiz
Fri, Nov 7, 2014 103-84 http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201411070TOR.html
Sat, Jan 31, 2015 OT 120-116 http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201501310WAS.html
Wed, Feb 11, 2015 95-93 http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201502110TOR.html

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Paul George says that he didn't leave the game just because his leg was sore, he felt a pop :(

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

EvanTH posted:

Great news for Thunder fans. If your coach basically has 3 MVP-caliber players and Serge Ibaka and he still can't do gently caress all then there's maybe a problem.

Well then they should have fired him when he couldn't win with that roster. They shouldn't fire him now because he missed the playoffs by one game in probably the toughest 1-8 conference in years with all of his players missing a ton of time to injuries included his 2 MVP caliber players.

The Thunder pulled off some deal anything see what the gently caress sticks type moves this mid-season and he made most of stick and integrated the new players pretty well.

That Yahoo Sports article talks about the Thunder looking at replacing Brooks with Kevin Ollie or Billie Donovan; and it also says multiple NBA teams would immediately look to hire Brooks if he were available. That honestly seems like a joke. There's no way those guys are better NBA coaches than him, and the moves just kind of reek of desperation.

The Thunder management probably closed their own championship window when they dealt James Harden. It will be interesting to see what increasingly desperate things they do to try and remedy the roster issues that management itself has created before Kevin Durant bolts for somewhere else, but in reality I cannot see this team winning the west again, let alone even getting close to a title. So many other teams have gotten much better since they developed their core team.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Scott Brooks loving sucks

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Yes, this is going to hurt.

Illinois Smith posted:

I believe in the Young Bucks. They're too sweet.

Also if you don't put at least one upset in your playoff predictions you're doing it wrong.

Yeah, but the "upset" will be san antonio beating the clippers in 7.

If you don't think the Bucks COULD beat the Bulls, albeit in 7 games is what I think it would take, you are probably a bulls homer.

Scott Brooks loving sucks

I'm just wondering if someone in that front office REALLY believes in him, and is too prideful to say "I WAS WRONG ON THAT ONE". There will be a sports documentary on the career of Durant and Westbrook and the reasons they never won a championship. It will focus on Brooks, the harden trade, injuries.

extendedsolo fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 16, 2015

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think it's a real shame that either the Spurs or Clippers will go out in the first round but that should be a good-rear end series.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Libertine posted:

The Thunder management probably closed their own championship window when they dealt James Harden. It will be interesting to see what increasingly desperate things they do to try and remedy the roster issues that management itself has created before Kevin Durant bolts for somewhere else, but in reality I cannot see this team winning the west again, let alone even getting close to a title. So many other teams have gotten much better since they developed their core team.

This seems like an overreaction to a (still pretty good) year completely sunk by injuries.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

The Thunder should've fired Brooks a year or longer ago, I think they may be screwed one way or the other now.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Libertine posted:

Well then they should have fired him when he couldn't win with that roster. They shouldn't fire him now because he missed the playoffs by one game in probably the toughest 1-8 conference in years with all of his players missing a ton of time to injuries included his 2 MVP caliber players.

The Thunder pulled off some deal anything see what the gently caress sticks type moves this mid-season and he made most of stick and integrated the new players pretty well.

That Yahoo Sports article talks about the Thunder looking at replacing Brooks with Kevin Ollie or Billie Donovan; and it also says multiple NBA teams would immediately look to hire Brooks if he were available. That honestly seems like a joke. There's no way those guys are better NBA coaches than him, and the moves just kind of reek of desperation.

You're treating it like it's only a reaction to this year, when it's more like a reaction to all his failings as a coach + this year giving them an excuse to fire him, without upsetting the players, who seem to really like him

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

This seems like an overreaction to a (still pretty good) year completely sunk by injuries.

Yeah come on, if they'd had everyone healthy they'd have absolutely had a shot at a title this year. Obviously they didn't come out of the Harden trade very well, but they had the best record in the west the year after trading him and the 2nd best last year. Their window of contention wasn't slammed shut at all. If Ibaka doesn't get hurt they very easily could have won a title last year; they gave the Spurs a ton of issues with him in the lineup.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

You're treating it like it's only a reaction to this year, when it's more like a reaction to all his failings as a coach + this year giving them an excuse to fire him, without upsetting the players, who seem to really like him

They could have fired him at any point in the last few years and most people wouldn't have blinked an eye. He seems like a great development guy but not a good in-game strategy guy. When the stories come out a day after missing the playoffs you have to think it's directly related to a reaction to this year only.

I still think the entirety of the blame is on Presti and co. If Brooks is the wrong coach then they should absolutely fire him and shouldn't give a poo poo what the players think about it if it helps the team win games to have someone else who is better at the things Brooks is deficient in. But if the guys they have lined up to replace Brooks are two college coaches with no NBA coaching experience whatsoever then I don't see how that plays out well given the expectations the team has.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If they can get back to healthy the Thunder top-7 is absolutely able to contend seriously for a championship and it's crazy to say their window is closed unless you think Durant's injury is going to cook him.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Here's my easiest example of what I think of Scott Brooks:

Brooks, with the Warriors roster, would probably play David Lee 30+ minutes a game and never think about having a super deep rotation or develop guys like Draymond Green except in garbage time. Having Iggy be the 2nd unit's ballhandler would never remotely cross his mind, and will play veterans over the best actual players in crunchtime situations.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
If you want to be cool you use these two pages

http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/?PT=team&OD=defensive
http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/?PT=team&OD=offensive

To really figure out playoff matchups like me and Johannes Becker. Caveats about synergy charting apply

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

When I think of Scott Brooks I think of all those great inbound plays he draws up in crunch time. Like the one where they give it to Durant 40 feet from the basket. Or the one where they give it to Westbrook 40 feet from the basket.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
This seems like it's something that's been building for awhile, but it's a lot harder to justify firing a guy when you're getting a Top 2 seed every year, especially if the players like him. It wasn't about this year, missing the playoffs just happens to make it look a little more palatable.

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty

Parlett316 posted:

Salt? I'm still salty about that bullshit series against the Maverick 10 years ago. gently caress the Dallas. gently caress Cuban crying to league about screes and gently caress their lovely rear end player who is allowed to steal the ball while being out of bounds.

gently caress

you

Dallas

Mavs up 40, while Josh Howard taunts and laughs on the sideline and Jason Terry pretends to be an airplane.

Winning this series is not enough.
I want Dallas crushed and driven before us.
I want to hear the lamentations of their Cuban.

I want them beaten into a rebuilding.

Too much?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I want the Rockets to crush the Mavs so bad they fold and Parsons retires out of shame. Not too much to ask

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Doltos posted:

I lived on a lake when I was sixteen and me and my friends would rowboat to each others houses and thought it was literally the coolest thing anyone has every done in the world ever.

Are you Joey and did you grow up on Dawson's Creek?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Intruder posted:

I want the Rockets to crush the Mavs so bad they fold and Parsons retires out of shame. Not too much to ask

I want Chandler Parsons to drop 50 and grab his nuts at Daryl Moreyas the Mavs win game 7 and James Harden admits he's ruined basketball during the post game press conference and pulls a Budd Dwyer.

E: rockets used the cap space freed up by Harden's death to give the max to Draymond Green

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Intruder posted:

I want Chandler Parsons to drop 50 and grab his nuts at Daryl Moreyas the Mavs win game 7 and James Harden admits he's ruined basketball during the post game press conference and pulls a Budd Dwyer.

E: rockets used the cap space freed up by Harden's death to give the max to Draymond Green

I like both of these scenarios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Mark Cuban should fall into a shark tank

• Locked thread