Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
re: old stuff
There's a song from Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys called "Machine Gun" that gets a bit doomy I always thought. It was recorded live January 1st 1970 so I'm not saying it precedes doom since Black Sabbath was already firing up. I've never had a good reason to post about it but I've always wondered if this song struck others the same way it strikes me. Regardless, Band of Gypsys is in my opinion the most under appreciated Hendrix ablum. It's a different rhythm section from the Jimi Hendrix Experience recordings and the music is much more robust, soulful, groovy and heavy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRE3kjL3Yjg

Also if you've ever wondered where YOB got the name, it's from this Warner Brothers cartoon called "Rocket - Bye Baby". It's about a new dad who ends up with a Martian baby instead of his own.
https://vimeo.com/69612467

edit: here's a pic

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
https://youtu.be/nU5uDozoSSM

these guys had huge 200w - 300w tube amps that were the loudest band around back then.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
beatles - i want you(she's so heavy) was the first

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Elrobot posted:

beatles - i want you(she's so heavy) was the first

nah

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
My brother recently visited the Hendrix museum in Seattle and snapped a pic of Noel Redding's (bass for Jimi Hendrix Experience) rig. He ran a Sunn 2000S, which was one of the heaviest duty bass amps out there until Ampeg put out the SVT a couple years later.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
i'm really kicking myself for not checking out Minsk sooner cause their new album is really good, is the rest of their work as solid?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm not really digging the new Minsk album but you need to check out The Ritual Fires of Abandonment.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
New High on Fire June 23rd!!! Luminiferous is the title. Can't wait!

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Dyna Soar posted:

melvins were the first

pretty much the 'simpsons did it' of all bands ever

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

Polegrinder posted:

Ohhhhhhh shiiiiiiii :psyboom:

Oh hell yes, produced again by Ballou

Xenochrist fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 15, 2015

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
http://lambgoat.com/features/238/Weedeater-Claw-of-the-Sloth-song-premiere

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Polegrinder posted:

Yesssss

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun

Matt Pike posted:

“We’re doing our part to expose The Elite and the fingers they have in religion, media, governments and financial world downfall and their relationship to all of our extraterrestrial connections in the race to control this world,” comments vocalist / guitarist Matt Pike. “Wake up, it’s happening. All while we stare at a socially engineered lie we think of as normalcy. Unless we wake from the dream, there will come true doom.”
:psyduck: Not sure if he's joking or super high, or both.

Also Black Pyramid have just released two new songs, and they're pretty good!

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

:psyduck: Not sure if he's joking or super high, or both.

Buddy of mine told me that during a show some years back Matt Pike started a song (Nemesis I think?) by shouting "this song is about your enemy and mine: George Bush"

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
He's a huge fan of that dude who thinks reptilians control the world and that's why a lot of Sleep/High on Fire lyrics have dragons/snakes and poo poo, apparently. I still am not sure whether he takes it seriously.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
"I believe the signs of the reptile masters"

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4cxaVEqZsE

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 15, 2015

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

San Diego dudes are lucky people.

Dead Meadow are playing with Elder, Stoned Jesus, and Electric Citizen on 5/10. West coast is the best coast indeed.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

chunkles posted:

He's a huge fan of that dude who thinks reptilians control the world and that's why a lot of Sleep/High on Fire lyrics have dragons/snakes and poo poo, apparently. I still am not sure whether he takes it seriously.

Matt Picke :cthulhu:

Crimbo Hardstyle
Apr 23, 2006

HISS
Anyone else planning to see Sleep this sunday in Denver?

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Old stuff chat:

If you haven't heard Flower Travellin' Band, you should https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7grVlq46_4 . Really cool psychedelic proto-doom stuff.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What is your guys favorite "Take drugs and put on this album and go on a spiritual journey" album?

Besides Dopesmoker, of course.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If you listen to Earth 2 on headphones in a darkened room you don't need drugs to go on a spiritual journey.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
king crimson - red

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
dopesmoker

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
dopesmoker this and dopesmoker that

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I was able to catch Inter Arma last night. I've never been a huge fan but they killed. They opened with "The Cavern" and I have no idea if they played it in it's entirety but it was long as gently caress, quite the experience. Meghan Mulhearn who plays violin with US Christmas etc. sat in with them so that was cool.

As for trippy albums I'll throw out Ufommamut's Eve, it's a great journey.

Edit: VVVV that second song on A.T.O.M., so meaty.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 16, 2015

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
In a similar vein to Dopesmoker and Eve, I nominate Kamni's A.T.O.M.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMgiU5Bc18o

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Not necessarily Stoner/Doom/Sludge, but Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space is up there for me.

On topic for this thread, I'm a big fan of ...

The last Dead Meadow record
Comets on Fire (either Avatar or Blue Cathedral)
Monster Magnet's Tab EP (but I'll take Superjudge in a heartbeat)
Black Mountain's In the Future
Master of Reality

Not sure if you're wanting to differentiate between "seriously trippy records" and "stuff that sounds superb while supremely baked" because most everything is acceptable for the latter yeah?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I usually go for early Pink Floyd (Ummagumma, Obscured by Clouds), but I do like to put on some Acid Bath too for that feeling. Mainly When the Kite String Pops, but Paegan Terrorism Tactics works too. The sluggishness and tempo changes of their songs (Dr. Seuss is Dead, The Blue) work perfect for me. Also the trippy spoken word (in Paegan), the slower vibe songs sprinkled in, and the lyrics of Dax Riggs is a perfect combination. I wish I could find a modern day Acid Bath.

hatelull posted:

Not necessarily Stoner/Doom/Sludge, but Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space is up there for me.

On topic for this thread, I'm a big fan of ...

The last Dead Meadow record
Comets on Fire (either Avatar or Blue Cathedral)
Monster Magnet's Tab EP (but I'll take Superjudge in a heartbeat)
Black Mountain's In the Future
Master of Reality

Not sure if you're wanting to differentiate between "seriously trippy records" and "stuff that sounds superb while supremely baked" because most everything is acceptable for the latter yeah?

I'm a big fan Black Mountain's In the Future, and I wish they would finally release a new album.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 16, 2015

nonazis
Oct 13, 2014

The ants. They're everywhere, man. Big fuckers.
This isn't quite doom/sludge/stoner, but Bear Languages Rememory album is the best of all time for sitting back, closing your eyes, and loving flying.

https://m.soundcloud.com/bear-language

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Kvlt! posted:

What is your guys favorite "Take drugs and put on this album and go on a spiritual journey" album?

Dolorian's Voidwards and any of the early Skullflower albums, but especially Form Destroyer. Also Electric Ladyland, since people were talking Hendrix.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

nate fisher posted:

I'm a big fan Black Mountain's In the Future, and I wish they would finally release a new album.
Steve Mcbean's new band Obliterations first record Poison Everything is out and rules though

Spinal Pap
Jun 24, 2007

uh-

Kvlt! posted:

Advaitic Songs by Om.

Anything by Om really. But Advaitic Songs is my favourite.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm that guy that doesn't do drugs and listens to the most stereotypically "stoner" music out there.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm that guy that doesn't do drugs and listens to the most stereotypically "stoner" music out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
So Indian just posted on their Facebook page that they're going to be playing the Inter Arma/Yautja show in Chicago, but the venue website says nothing about them being on the bill. They also don't appear to be listed on the Psycho California lineup anymore, but I could just be looking right past their logo or something. I'm very confused.

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Mammatus s/t and The Coast Explodes
Monster Magnet 25...Tab
anything by Endless Boogie
Colour Haze
Edgar's Hair

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

nerve posted:

dopesmoker

And my favourite Bong LP, Stoner Rock

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
In other news, Roadburn was, as always, amazing. I was a bit less optimistic about the lineup this time but it just meant there were more surprises than ever, and the running order seemed to be set up really well with not too many clashes, which are always heartbreaking. In fact I ended up on my feet and seeing more music than usual with barely any time to sit down and drink/smoke/let my poor feet rest up. I was sad to miss a few bands here but oh well.

I'm missing a few here, especially a few of the Cul de Sac bands, but this was my weekend in a nutshell:

The highlights for me: Eagle Twin (on the small stage :asoiaf:), Thou, Ken Mode, Monolord, Kandodo, Anthroprophh, The Heads, Wardruna, Goblin's Dawn of the Dead, Undersmile, Bongripper and Bast. I don't know, there was just so much loving good music. And Temples next month, oh god

e: and here are some cool photos someone took

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Apr 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

nate fisher posted:

I follow them on Facebook and they are apparently in the studio, so maybe next year?