Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

should have made it bigger, so you can't climb over it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Seal Team Lagertha.

Also the Franks love them some war engines.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

this dude is one lovely emperor

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
It's a total meat-grinder

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
:lol:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

why would you keep holding on to his hair, you know he's going to try some nonsense!

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Oh Siegfried you card. :haw:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Ragnar still looking pretty bad

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Woman special forces team? At least the rollerball of death was awesome until the French became stupid again and forgot they have crossbows.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Floki is going to literally explode. I mean actually burst open and all his bits go everywhere

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

This episode has had the creepiest music I've ever heard

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Ragnar's fate is written by the gods...

But that preview was very ominous :ohdear:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I'll be very sad if they kill off Ragnar.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
1200 year old spoilers are hitting here but it's still going to be tense to watch. Well done on how they're setting this up.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Why is a show on the history channel so good?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The only thing funnier than Siegfried's stunt was him cracking up about it after.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

The Duggler posted:

All that Pawn Stars money had to go somewhere.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I mean I know this show is entirely off the rails in terms of historicity but Ragnar getting baptized is extremely stupid, ugh

Edit: like, nevermind the official Christianizations of Scandinavia was ballpark ~1000 AD which is a full two centuries after this show is set (and the peasantry converted much more gradually than the nobility for whom it was mostly a political choice). Ragnar I hope you pull some sort of clever trickery out of your sleeve to justfiy this because it's a really bad move politically and it's not like Viking age kings were at all secure in their position.

Honestly I feel like the whole Norse v. Christian choice they're setting up is really trite and out of place for the period the show is supposed to be set.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 17, 2015

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

I mean I know this show is entirely off the rails in terms of historicity but Ragnar getting baptized is extremely stupid, ugh

Edit: like, nevermind the official Christianizations of Scandinavia was ballpark ~1000 AD which is a full two centuries after this show is set (and the peasantry converted much more gradually than the nobility for whom it was mostly a political choice). Ragnar I hope you pull some sort of clever trickery out of your sleeve to justfiy this because it's a really bad move politically and it's not like Viking age kings were at all secure in their position.

Honestly I feel like the whole Norse v. Christian choice they're setting up is really trite and out of place for the period the show is supposed to be set.

If he doesn't get baptized, the Franks don't bring him inside the walls of Paris when he "dies" so he can't then open the gates to let his army in. They wouldn't bring him inside because without baptism he can't have a Christian "burial," which is pretty much the catalyst for the taking of the city.

But the only thing is, now everyone saw him being baptized, so like you said, that's probably not good job security for Ragnar in the confines of the script.

And I find it totally believable to have this religious push-pull going on. Christians back then were pretty zealous even by today's standards, what with the carrying around the supposed body parts of supposed dead saints, and the church had a lot of power in the courts of the Christian kings, who were only kings by the grace of the pope, IIRC. Then you have these equally zealous pagans trying to ransack your towns and loving them some monasteries because the church hoarded wealth and it seems they eventually figured that out. As a Christian leader, all you had to do was invoke God's name and point at the bloodthirsty pagans to get them to fight, even if you had to do this numerous times to still their fear of the vikings. So I can see a viking king's subjects being a little taken aback to find their king being baptized.

I do agree with you though, it seems like their hate of Christians is a little much in this show for what little they really know about Christians, almost as if it's shoehorned in there to create conflict. The Christians at least have a historical, religious reason to fight pagans because it's more or less their duty to defend their city and not treat with pagans, but for the vikings, they have little reason to hate Christians...they are just there to pillage at this point in history, not expressly to kill Christians. Except for Floki. Dude hates him some Christians

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I think it's less that they hate Christians, more that they see Ragnar as turning his back on their ways.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

The Duggler posted:

It is far more honest than the majority of poo poo that is 'history' on the history channel.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Blue Star posted:

I'm no expert but I recall reading somewhere that Valhalla was for warriors who died in battle, but normal people who died of old age or disease went to Helheim, which is much more like the Greco-Roman Hades, where it's kinda gloomy. Also I think Freya got half of all warriors that died in battle, and Odin got the other half. Odin's half went to Valhalla and Freya's half went to some fields or something.

Valhalla seems to be a uniquely Norse concept. I don't think the pagan Anglo-Saxons had a concept of it, or the older pre-Roman Germanic people.

The best description of Hel I've ever come across is to think of it as a blend Catholic Purgatory and Hell. Farmers, children, old men, the sick, etc. got the sort of Purgatory place in Hel's realm, which wasn't great but it wasn't awful or anything. Then there's the place in Helheim for murderers, thieves, those that die without honor etc. That's more like Christian Hell, a place you definitely didn't want to end up, but you might be able to visit Baldur, so that could be cool. So like most things Norse, it's complicated.

Oh and you're right about the split. I'd pick Odin if I had a choice, Valhalla sounds like a pretty awesome place to wait out the end of the word.

Jeremy_X fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 17, 2015

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Wow, I had no idea that the historical record of viking culture and everyday living is so sparse and composed largely of less than reliable sources. Makes me think our understanding of how the vikings really were is closer to this:

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

Siegfried troll 10/10 perfect execution. He's loving it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

jazz babies posted:

Siegfried troll 10/10 perfect execution. He's loving it.

I sort of figured that was coming, but I laughed all the same because it was just so awesome.

Plus I figure no he gets to go to Valhalla for sure. He didn't exactly die in battle, but he got one good attack in before they took his head,and I'm sure it made Odin laugh.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

life is killing me posted:

If he doesn't get baptized, the Franks don't bring him inside the walls of Paris when he "dies" so he can't then open the gates to let his army in. They wouldn't bring him inside because without baptism he can't have a Christian "burial," which is pretty much the catalyst for the taking of the city.

But the only thing is, now everyone saw him being baptized, so like you said, that's probably not good job security for Ragnar in the confines of the script.

And I find it totally believable to have this religious push-pull going on. Christians back then were pretty zealous even by today's standards, what with the carrying around the supposed body parts of supposed dead saints, and the church had a lot of power in the courts of the Christian kings, who were only kings by the grace of the pope, IIRC. Then you have these equally zealous pagans trying to ransack your towns and loving them some monasteries because the church hoarded wealth and it seems they eventually figured that out. As a Christian leader, all you had to do was invoke God's name and point at the bloodthirsty pagans to get them to fight, even if you had to do this numerous times to still their fear of the vikings. So I can see a viking king's subjects being a little taken aback to find their king being baptized.

I do agree with you though, it seems like their hate of Christians is a little much in this show for what little they really know about Christians, almost as if it's shoehorned in there to create conflict. The Christians at least have a historical, religious reason to fight pagans because it's more or less their duty to defend their city and not treat with pagans, but for the vikings, they have little reason to hate Christians...they are just there to pillage at this point in history, not expressly to kill Christians. Except for Floki. Dude hates him some Christians

Besides, we all know that Ragnar dies later in Northumbria anyway, assuming they're not going to completely ignore the sagas.

Also that hair holder was dumb as hell for not having a loose grip, c'mon son!

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
I laughed out loud right along with Siegfried, sorry no-hands guy.

Envy Insanity
Oct 2, 2003

Have gone to commit suicide. Intend to return from grave Friday. Feed cat.
Michael Cera is acting the poo poo out of that role as the princess.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

theDOWmustflow posted:

Wow, I had no idea that the historical record of viking culture and everyday living is so sparse and composed largely of less than reliable sources. Makes me think our understanding of how the vikings really were is closer to this:

Any media prior to like 1900 is pretty much that. In addition to the mass anachronistic elements armour, clothing, building decorations, etc, are frequently toned way down to appeal to modern sensibilities. In Vikings, for example, almost none of the Vikings arms and armour are decorated. While most warriors couldn't afford the gilt and engraved poo poo, pretty much everyone decorated their warswag. Almost everything we've found from that era has the remains of paint on it. And it was all garish as gently caress.
Or let's take the image of the knight in shining armor. In reality knights didn't have shining armor, because shining armor isn't protected from the elements and your life investment in personal protection is gonna rust to poo poo. Most of it was blackened. And you almost never see any knights in media with helm crests, or if you do it's something *cool* like a dragon worked into the helm itself, designed to appeal to our sensibilities of course. Not what a person of that era thought looked cool to stick on their head. Certainly not the common paper mache goofiness slapped on top or this badass party hat:

Also compare Sandor Cleganes "hound helm":

With what an actual person thought looked badass:

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 17, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wafflecopper posted:

The only thing funnier than Siegfried's stunt was him cracking up about it after.

Legit had to rewind and guffaw at it a handful of times, it's genius level stuff.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rocksicles posted:

Legit had to rewind and guffaw at it a handful of times, it's genius level stuff.

Is there a gif/youtube? I was grilling at the time and I missed that bit.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phy posted:

Is there a gif/youtube? I was grilling at the time and I missed that bit.

I'm still laughing at it now. He asked them to hold his gorgeous Viking Earl hair out of the way. Then laughed his Viking rear end off afterwards.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 17, 2015

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Cool episode, although it seemed a little disjointed at places when they were switching back and forth to an either internally-injured or bloody-flux Ragnar. I'm not totally sure if he's just all mangled inside, or he's actually caught something as well (from all that fever-dream stuff). Not that it matters.

Boy howdy has Paris got some Indiana-Jones level defensive gadgets. :lol: That rolling spike machine was pretty loving graphic! I mean there were guys just stuck on there that got rolled over AGAIN.

I loved seal-team Lagertha! And Earl Sigfried was hilarious. At least he got in one last shot before he died, but it was his laugh that sold it. Even the weird traveler guy laughing made me giggle as well.

It's also unclear if weird traveler guy told Ragnar about the sickness in the city before his meet-up with the French. I don't really want to see Ragnar die, but he's gone so far off the rails, that he's not even a great leader anymore. Despite that, his boasts and confidence just get bigger and bigger. Even if this is just some ploy to get inside the city, he still went and lost 1000 men beforehand, and obviously isn't going to be able to participate very well in any fighting in the near future.

Bjorn's actor keeps shocking me every week with just how HUGE he is, because he has this baby-face and in close-ups he looks normal size. Then he stands near Lagertha and he's a full on beast Viking! I still picture him as the child actor from season 1, being a total pain in the rear end to Athelstan :classiclol:

I didn't really get the point of the Christian guy in Kategatt. Whatsherface definitely played to her audience with that test, but the offscreen killing was just like thrown in there. It was just an awkward side-story. Plus, he was such a total dumbass being so uncompromising. She even said that they would accept his Jesus god as A GOD. His NOPE, NOT GOOD ENOUGH, speech was basically just different words for "Kill me now 'cuz I'm an rear end in a top hat". Why would he even go there and act like that? It's just suicide by Viking, but I guess it doesn't count in the eyes of the lord, if you're spreading the "word" in the meantime.

It was also kind of weird for Ragnar to go meet about a dozen guys completely alone (even though he had his reasons). That's putting a hell of a lot of faith in the other guys being "civilized", but I guess they're used to the way the English behave by now.

Like someone else said, I think Floki was a bout 10 seconds from his head just popping off his body and flames coming out, right there at the end of the episode. Hahahah

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Schizotek posted:

Any media prior to like 1900 is pretty much that. In addition to the mass anachronistic elements armour, clothing, building decorations, etc, are frequently toned way down to appeal to modern sensibilities. In Vikings, for example, almost none of the Vikings arms and armour are decorated. While most warriors couldn't afford the gilt and engraved poo poo, pretty much everyone decorated their warswag. Almost everything we've found from that era has the remains of paint on it. And it was all garish as gently caress.
Or let's take the image of the knight in shining armor. In reality knights didn't have shining armor, because shining armor isn't protected from the elements and your life investment in personal protection is gonna rust to poo poo. Most of it was blackened. And you almost never see any knights in media with helm crests, or if you do it's something *cool* like a dragon worked into the helm itself, designed to appeal to our sensibilities of course. Not what a person of that era thought looked cool to stick on their head. Certainly not the common paper mache goofiness slapped on top or this badass party hat:

Also compare Sandor Cleganes "hound helm":

With what an actual person thought looked badass:

This is just an awesome post. That hat is hilarious! Thank you for that.

It never fails to make me laugh whenever I'm reminded that half the graffiti in Rome really was a bunch of dick drawings and people calling each other fags. :classiclol:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

DoggPickle posted:

I didn't really get the point of the Christian guy in Kategatt. Whatsherface definitely played to her audience with that test, but the offscreen killing was just like thrown in there. It was just an awkward side-story. Plus, he was such a total dumbass being so uncompromising. She even said that they would accept his Jesus god as A GOD. His NOPE, NOT GOOD ENOUGH, speech was basically just different words for "Kill me now 'cuz I'm an rear end in a top hat". Why would

I don't entirely disagree with you, and even the first season did this sometimes with odd vignettes of Norse life without any real relevance to the plot. That said, it was interspersed with Ragnar, who is Auslag's husband, converting to Christianity.

So in one moment we see her saying "Kill that Christian" and then in the next we see Ragnar becoming one.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rollo was baptised too remember... way back when.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Rocksicles posted:

Rollo was baptised too remember... way back when.

He was, but everyone else knew it was coming, and only Floki hated the idea. Everyone else knew it was a farce.

Ragnar tried to do it secretly.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

He probably has a plan that he doesn't trust to anyone since he is the only person who ever gets poo poo done.

What do kings do?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Of course he has a plan. He's like like Indiana Jones, can only be defeated by snakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Regarding the Christian in Kattegatt, he shares the same name (Ansgar) as a real missionairy who travelled to Birka during the 9th century. The real Ansgar though didn't seem to face much hostility. He tried his best to spread the word and started a congregation in 830, but with modest results. Returned for a second time in 850, where he found the position of Christianity in Birka even more diminished than he left it two decades prior. On this second visit he put in great effort to recreate a small congregation before leaving for his home in Bremen.

Several decades later, in 935, his successor, archbshop Unni, visited Birka, finding no traces of Ansgars missionairy activity.

Although Ansgar himself was relatively safe from harm, i can't speak for members of his small congregation after he left.

Anyway, not saying the show's Ansgar is the same person, but i don't think the name is a coincidence.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 17, 2015

• Locked thread