Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Zogo posted:

With a PER of 30.8 this year Anthony Davis has the second highest ever for someone in his first three seasons.

http://www.basketball-reference.com...t=&order_by=per

Here's something cool I seen said on reddit and checked out myself to see they weren't lying, PER was built to prove AD is the GOAT :eyepop:
19 year olds by PER:
20 year olds by PER:
21 year olds by PER:

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He's "quoting" Mark Jackson.

Hah he got me it was so untrue I was annoyed me for a second. Stockton owns 4 of the top 20 all time guard TS% seasons which seems wrong because I personally don't remember him missing any shots ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
thabeet is cool because every team that signed him to try and make him a project got a cool headline that read "Can TEAM NAME Turn Thabeet Around?"

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

hmm, seems legit, the math checks out. GO Grizz

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
How do other people feel about Westbrook being considered the scoring champ even though Curry and Harden both scored more points than him, Harden by a huge amount? It just seems stupid to me to base it on who has the highest PPG.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Artic Puma posted:

How do other people feel about Westbrook being considered the scoring champ even though Curry and Harden both scored more points than him, Harden by a huge amount? It just seems stupid to me to base it on who has the highest PPG.

Nobody will care if Curry or Harden wins a ring this year.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

thabeet is cool because every team that signed him to try and make him a project got a cool headline that read "Can TEAM NAME Turn Thabeet Around?"

Followed quickly by. "TEAM NAME drops Thabeet." *wubwubwub*

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Back to John Stockton chat. He's one of two guards in NBA history to have a True Shooting % of .600 or better ten times. The other is Steve Nash. No other guard has done it more than five times, although James Harden and Stephen Curry will probably change that soon enough.

He also had a season where he finished fourth in the entire NBA in FG%. As a loving point guard.

In that same season he averaged 15 PTS/14 AST/3 STL per game and played all 82 games, and for reasons lost to history did not make the All Star Game.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 17, 2015

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

roundmidnight posted:

Is Thabeet is the biggest top 3 bust of the last decade? Hell, the last twenty years? Because man, what a horrendous career he's had.

Darko has to be up there just because he was drafted ahead of Melo, Bosh and Wade, but then again, Thabeet was drafted one pick ahead of James Edward Harden and five ahead of Wardell Stephen Curry.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Tae posted:

Nobody will care if Curry or Harden wins a ring this year.

Nobody will care just in general.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

EvanTH posted:

Hah he got me it was so untrue I was annoyed me for a second. Stockton owns 4 of the top 20 all time guard TS% seasons which seems wrong because I personally don't remember him missing any shots ever

Tbh I don't remember him taking any shots ever. I do remember a lot of him passing to Malone and Hornacek and getting out of the way.

He's undoubtedly a good player, but I've always thought he's kinda overrated around here. He was extremely durable and played a long time at a high level, but the only thing I ever really thought was exceptional about him was his durability/longevity. He never seemed to control games the way dudes like Isiah, CP3, Magic, or Steve Nash were able to. His court vision/passing was up around those dudes for sure, but I don't think he was near the scorer. Honestly if you're just looking at peak Mark Price may have been better. Although that admittedly heavily discounts the fact that Stockton's "peak" was like 15 years or something.

Artic Puma posted:

I don't think most people care since the scoring champ has always been PPG.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Apr 17, 2015

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

surrender posted:

Darko has to be up there just because he was drafted ahead of Melo, Bosh and Wade, but then again, Thabeet was drafted one pick ahead of James Edward Harden and five ahead of Wardell Stephen Curry.

Remember how Minnesota had two consecutive first round picks and spent both of them on point guards who were not Steph Curry? That was a cool thing that happened, imo.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

He also had a season where he finished fourth in the entire NBA in FG%. As a loving point guard.

In that same season he averaged 15 PTS/14 AST/3 STL per game and played all 82 games, and for reasons lost to history did not make the All Star Game.

I was curious about this and looked at that year. Looks like only 3 guards made it in the west-one was Magic (no explanation needed), one was Alvin Robertson who put up 20/7assists/6rebounds with 3 steals (and a huge defensive reputation) and the other was Fat Lever who put up 19/8/8 with 2.7 steals. Would be hard to pick him over either of them, especially since dudes weren't looking at stuff like true shooting then, or didn't consider pace (as I think that would've been in the Doug Moe Nuggets era which would've explained the 19/8/8)

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
go blazers and i hope harden loses and cries into his imaginary oatmeal he's always stirring

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So, are they gonna make one of these for the East, or

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
You are forgetting the most important part about John Stockton: he give a nice elbow into the kidneys of anyone he was screening or was screening him. That poo poo wears on you over a game.

I always felt his AST numbers were inflated though because he was passing to Malone. And Utah had/has notoriously generous scorekeepers.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
He always had five more assists when in altitude

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Grozz Nuy posted:

Remember how Minnesota had two consecutive first round picks and spent both of them on point guards who were not Steph Curry? That was a cool thing that happened, imo.

I can't remember who both of those PG's were (I assume one of them was Rubio, which wasn't a bad pick), but to imply that a huge mistake was made back then by not picking Curry without the benefit of hindsight is disingenuous. Curry had huge bust potential, and wasn't even looked at as a particularly high ceiling guy. It was completely reasonable to think he'd amount to nothing and had built his reputation up by being the son of a decent former NBA player and had inflated numbers due to going to a small school. He wasn't particularly tall, not super athletic, rail thin (still is), couldn't defend, and wasn't known as a great ball handler or distributor. His one skill was shooting, and there's a long list of those guys every year in the draft. 9 times out of 10 that type of guy is out of the league in a couple years at most.

Lewis Skolnick
Nov 4, 2011
All you poo poo cunts that bitch about Harden can gently caress right off. Bunch of fucken deadshits. Rockets are boss, all of them. Even Dwight. Get hosed.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Artic Puma posted:

I agree with you. Your team plays 82 games no matter what, scoring many points in not very many games doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things. As demonstrated by the fact that the scoring champ is on a team that didn't score more points than their opponents often enough to get to the playoffs. I don't really get why they decided to do PPG in the first place, did players back in the day get less DNPs or something, making it less significant of a difference?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lewis Skolnick posted:

All you poo poo cunts that bitch about Harden can gently caress right off. Bunch of fucken deadshits. Rockets are boss, all of them. Even Dwight. Get hosed.

It begins

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lewis Skolnick posted:

Hi, welcome to the SAS NBA thread. How are you this fine morning? :)

Oh, how am I doing? Just wonderful, thanks for asking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jDNqesc3VY

:toot:

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Lewis Skolnick posted:

Signed,

Slim Thugga

remember
Nov 23, 2006

alansmithee posted:

Tbh I don't remember him taking any shots ever. I do remember a lot of him passing to Malone and Hornacek and getting out of the way.

He's undoubtedly a good player, but I've always thought he's kinda overrated around here. He was extremely durable and played a long time at a high level, but the only thing I ever really thought was exceptional about him was his durability/longevity. He never seemed to control games the way dudes like Isiah, CP3, Magic, or Steve Nash were able to. His court vision/passing was up around those dudes for sure, but I don't think he was near the scorer. Honestly if you're just looking at peak Mark Price may have been better. Although that admittedly heavily discounts the fact that Stockton's "peak" was like 15 years or something.

I don't think most people care since the scoring champ has always been PPG.

Teams knew a Malone/Stockton pick and roll was coming and couldn't stop it. He leads the league all time in assists and has more separation from 2 then Kareem has for all time points and 2nd place.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Stealth Tiger posted:

I agree with you. Your team plays 82 games no matter what, scoring many points in not very many games doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things. As demonstrated by the fact that the scoring champ is on a team that didn't score more points than their opponents often enough to get to the playoffs. I don't really get why they decided to do PPG in the first place, did players back in the day get less DNPs or something, making it less significant of a difference?

82 games is what a lazy player plays.

Walt Bellamy had the desire and heart of a champion to play 88 games. That's called not being a quitter and hanging it up after 82.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

wangvicous posted:

Teams knew a Malone/Stockton pick and roll was coming and couldn't stop it. He leads the league all time in assists and has more separation from 2 then Kareem has for all time points and 2nd place.

I think the dude on the receiving end deserves most of the credit for that. And I already mentioned he was extraordinarily durable and consistent.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The B_36 posted:

I can't remember who both of those PG's were (I assume one of them was Rubio, which wasn't a bad pick)

The other one was Johnny Flynn :negative:

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

EvanTH posted:

Ehh yeah you got a point. I was stretchin' it for effect, I don't really think the whole failing to beat a solid Heat team in the finals is anywhere close to the biggest knock against Brooks. I'm thinkin' about it and my two real bad-coachiness indicators on him is bad inbounds plays and a reliance on ISO. You don't win NBA playoffs by running ISO, it's a low-efficiency play and a lack of off-ball motion or penetration is going to practically guarantee a DReb on the misses and a decent coach understands that nowadays. Spurs is lowest in the league with 410 ISO possessions total this year. Harden took 583 by himself, Melo 231 in only 40 games. Cavs started getting better once Blatt's motion appeared.

If getting your team to the finals makes you a good coach then Byron Scott is twice as good as Scott Brooks. :colbert:

what would you say if I told you that I think all those people who aren't Thabeet are better than Perkins, who was getting 19.2mpg while OKC had a perfectly serviceable Ibaka, Adams and McGary

Where are you getting those iso numbers from? I wanna look at the raptors ones and get depressed.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
That's true and also not true. Iso is a meritocracy. Really good players can convert isos efficiently. That's not to say that a Spurs style offense doesn't make things easier for everyone, but they also require a high baseline of skill from every player on the floor.

Numbers:

http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/?PT=team&OD=defensive
http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/?PT=team&OD=offensive

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Lewis Skolnick posted:

Sweet!

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Lewis Skolnick posted:

Things like this are how I know the playoffs have truly begun.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Here is a pretty cool article on Westbrooks season: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/russ-and-diamonds-westbrook-isnt-the-mvp-and-thats-perfectly-ok/

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Things like this are how I know the playoffs have truly begun.

It's him against the world. You don't go gently into that dark night.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Dejan Bimble posted:

That's true and also not true. Iso is a meritocracy. Really good players can convert isos efficiently. That's not to say that a Spurs style offense doesn't make things easier for everyone, but they also require a high baseline of skill from every player on the floor.

Numbers:

Hrm. Yeah it's actually not as grim as I thought. Well, I mean, the eye test is confirmed by the stats where Toronto is doing shitload of iso's (behind only the Cavs, Pels, and Lakers(lol)). They have the fifth highest points per iso position though at .88, behind the the Rockets at .89, the Warriors at .90, the Cavs at .92, and the Clippers at .94. On the worst end of the spectrum, Philidelphia and Utah are getting .72 PPP per iso.

This is suggesting that Toronto's actually pretty good at iso's. I still think we depend on them too much but the team is getting decent returns out of them versus the rest of the NBA's use of them.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

OH WORD SON posted:

go blazers and i hope harden loses and cries into his imaginary oatmeal he's always stirring

I almost want Portland to lose in 4 so Aldridge can go get his surgery and October can come faster. Plus I won't have to shed a tear each time I see that playoff banner with Matthews face on it around town.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Lewis Skolnick posted:

don't steal anne frank fanfic's gimmick

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Oral history of Airplane! (which is awesome) but I liked this quote a lot
http://www.avclub.com/article/surely-you-cant-be-serious-oral-history-airplane-218043

quote:

J. Zucker: When we offered the role [of Murdock] to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, I think we offered him $30,000, and then the agent asked for $35,000 because that’s how much this rug cost that Kareem wanted to buy. It was an oriental rug—an art piece, not one to walk on, I don’t think—so our initial reaction was, “That’s got to be the best line we’ve ever heard from an agent.” It was like, “Boy, this guy’s really creative!” But then a couple of weeks later, there’s an article in Time with a picture of Kareem standing in front of the oriental rug that he’d bought for $35,000 after we’d paid him.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Memphis's offense has been so bad since the all star break. It makes me want to pick Portland, despite all the warning signs. It's such an even offense vs defense match up. I worry that Memphis will be much better at taking Aldridge out of the game than other teams. I also worry that their offense becomes much easier to cover without Wes Matthews.

I wonder how Portland will cover Gasol/Randolph post ups.

I think the Grizzlies win a very tight series.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

zelah posted:

I almost want Portland to lose in 4 so Aldridge can go get his surgery and October can come faster. Plus I won't have to shed a tear each time I see that playoff banner with Matthews face on it around town.

Blazers are slight underdogs. Get this hopeless poo poo outta here.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Lockback posted:

Oral history of Airplane! (which is awesome) but I liked this quote a lot
http://www.avclub.com/article/surely-you-cant-be-serious-oral-history-airplane-218043

That owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

attackmole posted:

Where are you getting those iso numbers from? I wanna look at the raptors ones and get depressed.

http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/isolation/?dir=1&sort=Poss&PT=team
Linked down there too, can click on the gear and set it to players instead of teams. Raptors ran the 4th most in the league, Lou Williams (270) and DeRozan (211) are taking those.
|V|V

Dejan Bimble posted:

Numbers:

Hah, I partially agree and partially don't and I'm looking and I don't know that I got enough numbers to comfortably make the case either way. You still want it in the toolbox, keepin' em honest like the midrange jumper, but over-relying on it doesn't bode well for the post-season success of a team.

I think the Cavs are an interesting right now, leading the league in ISO possessions because you got LeBron(0.93ppp on 458poss), and Kyrie (1.09 on 243) out there at the same time. Now, unless I'm doing some misunderstanding, a team's ORtng is essentially points per 100 possessions, so all those PPP are quickly convertible, and all three of those players ISO PPP efficiency actually drag down the Cav's overall offensive efficiency of 111.1.

There are some arguments for or against this that I can't make because they'd involve numbers I do not have:
--Cavs ORtng includes high-value transition possessions, it'd be more honest to compare those ISO plays only against their other half-court sets. Comparing ISO possessions against a stat that includes the ISO possessions themselves is also not the ideal way to look at it.
--I do not have the numbers saying that ISO results in fewer ORebounds, it's only an assumption but it makes enough sense that I'd have to see something proving otherwise before I start thinking it's untrue.
--I'd like to see splits of Cavs possession types over the year, they were more or less scoring more points as the year went on, but I got no way to show what it was from. What it looked like was the integration of Blatt's motion offense, but I'd want numbers showing a change of possession-type frequency over that period before I can say for sure it wasn't just the new personnel or anything.
--I'd like to see LeBron's ISO efficiency splits as he's playing with different teams with different offenses
--I assume ISO efficiency for everyone goes way down in the playoffs (sorry attackmole) when they're up against better individual defenders who've prepared specifically for them but again I do not have numbers to show this for certain.
--Since the starting point was that Scott Brooks is a Bad Coach, I would like a larger sample size and playoff numbers for Kevin Durant

• Locked thread