Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
So... I just got Etrian Mystery Dungeon. Does the Hexer skill that increases the hit rate of curses also work on Evil Eye or the Suicide Word line of spells? Normally I think I would probably just take it at face value, but experience has taught me that Etrian Odyssey skills are horribly buggy a significant portion of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Clarste posted:

So... I just got Etrian Mystery Dungeon. Does the Hexer skill that increases the hit rate of curses also work on Evil Eye or the Suicide Word line of spells? Normally I think I would probably just take it at face value, but experience has taught me that Etrian Odyssey skills are horribly buggy a significant portion of the time.

I think it does since the Evil Eye and Suicide Word curses act like debuffs and aren't guaranteed to work when casting them.

The only class that known to be bugged is the Sovereign. Namely in that they'll end up dodging their own buffs 75% of the time, but their Arms skills break the game's difficulty if you abuse a glitch with them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

I think it does since the Evil Eye and Suicide Word curses act like debuffs and aren't guaranteed to work when casting them.

The only class that known to be bugged is the Sovereign. Namely in that they'll end up dodging their own buffs 75% of the time, but their Arms skills break the game's difficulty if you abuse a glitch with them.

What's the glitch? Is it the Elemental thing?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, the strength stacking bug with the elemental arms is what I'm talking about.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ImpAtom posted:

What's the glitch? Is it the Elemental thing?

Spoilered for people who don't like breaking their games.

Yes it is. The Elemental Arms abilities add some Strength when cast, and remove it when the effect ends. The problem is that you can cast it multiple times, stacking Strength higher and higher, but when it ends it will only remove one iteration's worth, leaving your Strength permanently jacked up to crazy levels.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Is it just me, or is Provoke ridiculous in EMT? I've gotten through the 5th labyrinth without using any kind of healing whatsoever (other than the rare Medica in super-emergencies, more than restocked by finding stuff on the floor) because literally everything hits the Protector, and usually for 1 damage. Even bosses just kind of sit there wailing on her while the rest of my party tinks away at them.

I mean, I've had some close calls despite this, but that's mostly from people getting stuck in doorways. Honestly, being thrown into the middle of huge pack of enemies feels safer than exiting a doorway, and those red amber panels never seem to be there when I need them.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

...so. Is there any way to prevent your characters from getting hypnotized and then throwing away your items? That's twice in a row they threw away my 4000 en nether dust, and the second time I also threw away all my Ariadne Threads in the middle of the dungeon. This is tremendously unfun. Is it even a real status ailment?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Clarste posted:

Is it just me, or is Provoke ridiculous in EMT? I've gotten through the 5th labyrinth without using any kind of healing whatsoever (other than the rare Medica in super-emergencies, more than restocked by finding stuff on the floor) because literally everything hits the Protector, and usually for 1 damage. Even bosses just kind of sit there wailing on her while the rest of my party tinks away at them.

I mean, I've had some close calls despite this, but that's mostly from people getting stuck in doorways. Honestly, being thrown into the middle of huge pack of enemies feels safer than exiting a doorway, and those red amber panels never seem to be there when I need them.

It's pretty much one of the most powerful abilities in the game since it works on everything except random target attacks. There's a reason why the Protector is the fastest to go hungry.

Clarste posted:

...so. Is there any way to prevent your characters from getting hypnotized and then throwing away your items? That's twice in a row they threw away my 4000 en nether dust, and the second time I also threw away all my Ariadne Threads in the middle of the dungeon. This is tremendously unfun. Is it even a real status ailment?

Other than keeping your distance and taking out the Maya Owls before you get hit with it, not really. Unless you have a Sovereign with Prevent Order. It doesn't count as a status effect to the AI, because they won't do a thing to help you if you get mesmerized.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Did they really have to use FOE music for not one but two separate dungeon themes? :sigh:

Dr. Fetus posted:

Other than keeping your distance and taking out the Maya Owls before you get hit with it, not really. Unless you have a Sovereign with Prevent Order. It doesn't count as a status effect to the AI, because they won't do a thing to help you if you get mesmerized.
Errr, what? My Medic heals hypnosis every time I get hit with it. :confused:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Did they really have to use FOE music for not one but two separate dungeon themes? :sigh:

Errr, what? My Medic heals hypnosis every time I get hit with it. :confused:

Huh. My Gunner or Protector doesn't seem to want to heal it for some reason.

EDIT: Oh whoops, I accidentally had those skills turned off. Yeah, don't do that, you want to leave status restoring moves on. Status effects should be healed as soon as possible.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I tried to cure it with the lunch from the inn that cures ailments, but it didn't do anything.

Edit: My Protector is usually the one getting hypnotized, so I guess that was the problem.

Edit Edit: And apparently my rage quit after that incident counted as abandoning my team and all their items and stuff are gone. I... think I'm done with this game. That's not hard, it's just annoying, in a way I don't appreciate.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 16, 2015

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Dr. Fetus posted:

What are your skill builds? Your party should put up a decent fight against him. That said, I wouldn't try to use poison against him. He has a 5% resistance to ailments, which means a boosted poison will only have a measly 14% chance of landing. (Unboosted Poison has a 12% of landing)

OK, here we go:

Protector (28)
DEF up 7
Shields 7
En Garde 2
Provoke 1
Flee 1
Defender 4
F Guard 3
B Guard 3
Stalker 1
Mine 1

Landskank (28)
HP up 1
TP up 3
ATK up 3
DEF up 3
Axes 5
Swords 7
2-hit 3
Cleaver 2
Tornado 2
Allslash 1

Survivalist (not hunter) (29)
HP up 1
AGI up 5
Bows 7
Ambush 3
Trickery 3
Quicken 1
Trueshot 1
Multihit 3
Disable 5
Chop 2

Alchemist (29)
TP up 8
Fire up 2
Toxins 6
Fire 3
Poison 8
Venom 3
Warp 1

Medic (29)
TP up 4
Healer 7
Patch up 3
Cure 4
Cure II 3
Cure III 1
Salve 3
Salve II 1
Refresh 1 (I'm not even sure what this works against)
Immunize 4

I know I shouldn't have wasted points on mine/chop/etc for my fightin' party, but I figured that out a little too late...oh well. I'm gonna rush Cernunos one more time and see what happens.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

spider wisdom posted:

Skill builds

Okay, you've got both Defender and Immunize up to fairly decent levels, so I would prioritize using those first in the fight. They'll reduce Cernunnos' damage by a lot. (And despite the description, Immunize does work against physical damage) I only suggest leveling up Defender to 5 since the damage reduction is 32% at that level, and it only increases to a measly 36% at level 10.

For your Protector, Flee and Provoke aren't really that good. I would only put one point into each of the class stat boosts and mastery skills until later, when you can spare the skill points to max them out.

For your Landsknecht, focus only on Allslash. Cleaver doesn't really do much, and what Tornado can do is pretty much covered by Allslash.

Your Survivalist doesn't need that many points in AGI Up. They're already a fast class, one will suffice. You want Multihit and Apollon maxed out on them. Disable isn't really that good, since at level 10 it only has a 40% chance to inflict leg binds. Oh, and make sure to get 1st Turn on them, but put only one point into it. A bug makes it have a 100% success rate at level 1, when it's supposed to be 70%. Which means that all putting levels into that skill does is lower the TP cost.

Don't invest any more points in TP Up on your Alchemist until later. You want those points in damage skills so they can kill everything faster. Also don't invest anymore points into Poison or Venom because they stop being useful after the 2nd Stratum. (Toxins doesn't even do anything despite the description.)

Your Medic wants Immunize maxed out. It provides a 60% damage buff at level 10 (Which due to how this game handles defense buffs, is much more than it sounds. Basically, stuff like attacks dealing 200 damage gets reduced to doing like around 8 with a level 10 Immunize) Don't invest anything in Refresh. If you're curious, this is how the skill works. Each level lets it cure one more status ailment, and the success rate goes up. Yes, it's not actually guaranteed to cure your team from the status, which is really dumb. Now this sounds incredibly dumb, but invest in Attack Up on your Medic once you got Immunize and all the healing skills you want. What attack up does at level 10 is triple your Medic's attack power, which turns them into fantastic front line fighters. Oh, and you'll want to max out Caduceus as well.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Just got to post-game in EMD. It's refreshing to have to worry about way more Monster Houses, Summon Traps, and enemies that can curse or destroy enchantment levels on your weapons. It feels more like classic Shiren gameplay now. :getin:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Speaking of, Shiren kept imbued weapon effects when combining them like rustproof or lower hunger. Is that not in EMD? It seems like it only raises damage bonus, the socketed addons just disappear afaict and I can't find any mention of secondary effects.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Startyde posted:

Speaking of, Shiren kept imbued weapon effects when combining them like rustproof or lower hunger. Is that not in EMD? It seems like it only raises damage bonus, the socketed addons just disappear afaict and I can't find any mention of secondary effects.
I think when melding first gets unlocked at the town shop, they mention that melding completely discards the forge effects of the second item. The first one keeps everything it has though.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Dr. Fetus posted:

helpful words

Whoa, this is some helpful info. Thanks! Once I hit 30 on my alchemist, should I rest and pump up something besides poison?

e: boom, Cernunos down. Onward to the 3rd stratum and resting the alchemist. :unsmith:

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 17, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

spider wisdom posted:

Whoa, this is some helpful info. Thanks! Once I hit 30 on my alchemist, should I rest and pump up something besides poison?

You probably should, because that is a lot of skill points that could go into something else. The next Stratum has a fairly decent enemies to grind on. They're called Tree Frogs, and they're really easy to kill. Once it gets past turn 2, and they have less than 2 allies on the screen, they'll have a 70% chance of summoning another Tree Frog. You can repeat this process up to 30 times, after which you just stop gaining exp from the battle. A bit tedious, but you can do it like once or so to make your Alchemist catch up on levels a bit. (Resting lowers their level by 10.) To make grinding go even faster, put less people in the party so the Alchemist can get more exp.

What I would recommend doing is maxing out Flame because that will help with one of the upcoming bosses (Not the next one, it has no weaknesses and no resistances), and maybe Thor for random encounters. You may want Freeze for the 4th Stratum boss. Not too many enemies resist Volt compared to Fire and Ice. That said, I wouldn't max out Fire/Ice/Volt Up unless you really have the skill points to spare. They provide a 30% damage boost to their respective element at the max level, but with the way the game calculates things, the damage boost is really insignificant, even at level 10.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
How is the story of EOU? I tried playing it awhile back but then stuff came up, so I put it down for awhile.

I'm thinking after EMD I'll give it another shot, I remember that it had a "classic" mode that involved making your own team, and then the new mode where they actually gave characters personality and story. Should I play through the story just once to at least experience it, or am I not missing much by just diving into classic?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Story Mode is bland but Highlander and Gunner are real strong and you can't get all the card badges on a Classic playthrough because Gladsheim is locked to story mode only.

EO2U fixed this, thankfully.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Play story mode unless you decide you hate the characters like some people do. Classic mode doesn't have the extra dungeon and bosses.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
Are the skills pretty much the same in EOU as they are in the original where you want to rush immunize and defender?

I think I may have been building my Highlander and gunner wrong, because they where pretty pitiful, and I remember getting stuck on a bee boss somewhere.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

crazkylo posted:

Are the skills pretty much the same in EOU as they are in the original where you want to rush immunize and defender?

I think I may have been building my Highlander and gunner wrong, because they where pretty pitiful, and I remember getting stuck on a bee boss somewhere.

Nope, the classes have all been rebalanced. For example, Survivalists are more along the lines of their EO2 versions where they sucked. They aren't as good as they were in EO1. Also, Immunize sucks now. It only works on elemental damage. I forget if Defender is still in the game.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

crazkylo posted:

Highlander's strongest things are his delay+charge+cross combo and Gunner's setup is the double actionaction boost+charge shot thing.

Later on (postgame) you can set up some ridiculous attacks with grimoires with double actionaction boost.

Reco fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 17, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Defender is, and both of them can be useful but are nowhere near as broken as they were in the original.

As for building the two story characters, Highlander is best with Delayed Charge > Cross Charge, and for Gunner you get Action Boost and go to town with pretty much anything. Recharge is surprisingly nice for letting you spam abilities.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Personally, I found Bloody Offense Spear Assist to be the Highlander's best attack skill. Or, whatever that elemental spear attack was called.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Spear Assist is surprisingly powerful and is a better choice against things heavily resistant to Stab damage, but in general the Delayed/Limitless/Cross combo is their highest damage output.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Spear Assist is actually some of the best damage a Highlander can do if paired with an Alchemist with an Action Boost stone.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I liked being able to use Ronin and Hexer right from the start in Untold. I also like what they did with Protectors and Medics. They're no longer broken but Bravery's Gift and Delayed Heal are so good :allears:

I made fun of Simon for starting in the front row with a Landsknecht grimoire stone and a sword, but even with the rebalancing front line Medics are still fun especially with Bravery's Gift protecting them. Caduceus goes off before my Ronin's Swallow Strike and hits for a big fraction of the former's damage, too. I also made my Alchemist front line with Pain Formula and Firelight and it hits a bit harder, too, but without the speed and stun. Not the best team, but it's fun to me.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 17, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

Yeah, Delayed Heal is kind of ridiculous. A 5 medic run of EOU (NO I'M NOT DOING IT) would be amusing just for having two in the back trade off Delayed Heals every turn and the party being hilariously high health all the time :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

theshim posted:

A 5 medic run of EOU (NO I'M NOT DOING IT)

Do it. :colbert:

theshim
May 1, 2012

NO :argh:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It wouldn't be as feasible as it would be in EO1. Medics in EOU aren't real damage dealers, and enemies actually resist Stuns in EOU, so Caduceus isn't that good. It really doesn't help that Attack up only provides a 25% damage boost as opposed to the 200% damage boost it gave in EO1. You would have to turtle through all the important fights, which really sounds like a boring way to play an EO game. It would probably be feasible on Picnic and Standard, but at that point you're playing on easy mode which kind of ruins the purpose of a challenge run.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Yeah, the major reason EO4 is so friendly for SCCs is that subclassing and balanced classes mean you can branch out a little bit to plug some of the holes in your capabilities. EOU has the Grimoire system...which only works if you have other classes to get the Grimoires from in the first place. I mean, you'll get some from enemies, but...not enough.

So, no. Not doing it.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
If I can clear the game on Expert with 1 1/2 damage dealers, you can totally beat it with 5 medics. :colbert:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

How painful would a 5 survivalist run be?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Survivalists in EOU are... well, really really bad, so. Well, ok, maybe that's not fair, but they're certainly nowhere near as powerful as their EO1 incarnation.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, you'd need to dump a bunch of Grimoires on them to make them decent.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, you'd need to dump a bunch of Grimoires on them to make them decent.

Speaking of which, did EOU2 improve the grimoire system, because I basically ended up just not bothering with it mostly. Subclassing was so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Saigyouji posted:

Survivalists in EOU are... well, really really bad, so. Well, ok, maybe that's not fair, but they're certainly nowhere near as powerful as their EO1 incarnation.

They're the best Medics in the game at least! :v:

:negative:

Junpei Hyde posted:

Speaking of which, did EOU2 improve the grimoire system, because I basically ended up just not bothering with it mostly. Subclassing was so much better.

Apparently it did in some respects, but it's still kind of RNG based? I dunno, I haven't played the game so I can't really tell. Someone in the last thread who played the game said that he was getting Grimoires all the time, so it seems like you might be able to use up a bunch of junk Grimoires to get what you want more easily with Grimoire Recycling.

• Locked thread