Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

Special moves that get bigger and better when you use them are my jam, and so2 had some great examples. In fact, that is pretty much what distinguishes tales games I like from those I don't (sorry, vesperia).

i thought they did in vesperia? fireball started shooting more balls the more you use it for example?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Serious Frolicking posted:

Special moves that get bigger and better when you use them are my jam, and so2 had some great examples. In fact, that is pretty much what distinguishes tales games I like from those I don't (sorry, vesperia).

Well, in SO2 PSP they're useless for 100% of the game instead of just the postgame.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

RadicalR posted:

So as everyone know the best RPG is Suikoden 2, and it's really quite sad that we got such a buggy localization of it.

I have linked this fellow before, but it appears that he has released another patch that fixes some more game-crashing bugs.

http://suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12441

Seriously, Suikoden 2 was all kinds of hosed up. Also, he also does little write ups for the nerds that likes a peak behind the curtain of the game.

Suikoden 2 is definitely messed up, but for me that's actually part of its charm. I think I'd be happy just to have an improved localization of the text even with the litany of bugs still intact. Especially the useful ones.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Nah, Suikoden 2 is a great game but it's a lot better without the bugs. I don't think any game has nailed the same sense of progression as building up the castle, even within the same series.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

Claude is the better main character not because he's a dude or he's the fighter or more futuristic or whatever, but because starting on disc 2, Rena gets to sit through an extra couple hours of unskippable dialogue that boils down to, "In the end, we don't have a clue! :downs:"
Don't forget the part early one where Rena gets captured and Claude gets to do things about that while Rena gets to sit around waiting for Crawd has advanced forward to do things.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Doesn't she run around the joint and eventually find a secret passage?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I haven't played it in ages but I don't remember her accomplishing anything of note.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think she discovers that all the exits are blocked and gets captured again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she escapes straight to the dude's satanic altar

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

GulagDolls posted:

they had personality, once. tri-ace's 3-d modeling team erased that. there is virtually no difference between fedal camus and fayt leingod

I don't know, they make me save money by making me not want to buy the game, I can't fault them for that

TARDISman posted:

So I think I'm finally going to play Star Ocean 2. Should I have Claude or Rena as the main character or does it not matter that much?

Rena. It makes the game feel more natural. I tried playing with Claude as the main character once and that was enough. Then I decided he should be relegated to number two instead of hogging the main character slot and started fresh with the girl.

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008
Besides that, only Rena can recruit all the swordsmen characters who all end up broken just by being able to equip the best stuff In the game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

boblemoche posted:

Besides that, only Rena can recruit all the swordsmen characters who all end up broken just by being able to equip the best stuff In the game.

Literally the only difference in character availability is Dias vs Leon and Dias is loving awful. And Rena herself isn't even good at being a healbot, which is her only job.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Apr 19, 2015

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax
When I played SO2 ages ago, I think I may have stumbled upon a glitch early on in the game where you can have nobody in your active party. However I think it just fixes itself when you go into a battle.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Relin posted:

I played Star Ocean 4 and I don't remember, did it take place inside an MMO as well? Or did they retcon.

No it did not, at least as far as I've been able to discover.

http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/212/212052/index-3.html

quote:

7:33:48 PM

http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/212/212052/index-3.html

This is provided to me by the user Gwendal who i and many other Xenosaga/Xenogears fans owe a great deal to.-

"As far as I can tell, the short answer to your question is that I can't really say for sure, since it seems pretty vague to me. Then again, my knowledge about the Star Ocean series is extremely limited, so maybe I'm missing something. I know you said you didn't need a full translation, but I think the best thing to do would just be to give you one and let you draw your own conclusions. It's not that much text anyway. :)

Interviewer: About the shocking conclusion to the last game (Star Ocean 3), do you plan to follow that in some way in this game?

Mr. Yamagishi: We're making Star Ocean 4 as a story of beginnings, and it takes place before the First Age. [Probably not the correct term used in the games]
And the Star Ocean series was originally structured to be more or less complete as a trilogy. As for the way 3 ended, I think it'd be okay to consider it something thrown at the users by Tri-Ace. In my opinion, there's many ways to interpret it. Whether the world was destroyed in 3, whether you could say the world of Star Ocean ceased to exist, or if this was a false world created as a parallel dimension, which one is the real world, these are all things that are still unknown in terms of the Star Ocean world. So I'd be grateful if people wouldn't necessarily interpret that conclusion to mean the end of everything.

The second question is just about gameplay stuff and shouldn't be relevant. Hope this helps in some way!"

I liked The Last Hope, I don't care what anyone says.

This is a huge surprise though. I've been busy playing Fallout New Vegas and paying no mind to the Internet. Then I start looking at this thread and suddenly, out of the blue, there is an SO5 coming. I distinctly recall having a discussion with some people here just a few months ago about how the franchise was totally dead.

I had planned to get a PS4 anyway but this is a mild incentive to ensure I do so. I'm sure it will be fun if nothing else. As long as the plot isn't as half-assed as 3's, I doubt I'll hate it.

Infinity Gaia posted:

They went the double down route, to the point where she LITERALLY betrays the party for really stupid reasons for a while.

News at 11: People with horrible PTSD might act irrationally.

Shion wasn't likable in 3 but that's kinda the point. Her life has fallen apart.
Also humanity is going extinct.
Also she's being purposefully manipulated so that she will fall apart mentally and emotionally.
Also you can punch her in the face for being stupid. That whole mini-boss shows a great self-awareness that I approve of.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Apr 19, 2015

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
They wrote themselves into a corner with SO3 and their way of dealing with it was basically saying "maybe it was an alternate universe, or something, don't think about it too much." Brilliant.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

They could retcon it so that the SO3 sim was run by the Order of the Harvest Moon to turn Fayt into a killing machine ready to face a doomsday device if given a slightest hope that he might survive.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

I think she discovers that all the exits are blocked and gets captured again.
Oh right she "escapes" but accomplishes nothing by it, yeah. That's almost worse than not escaping at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I distinctly recall having a discussion with some people here just a few months ago about how the franchise was totally dead.

It was. Considering that they're effectively saying "We're incredibly sorry for Star Ocean 4 and everything we can say about this is promising it won't be like it," this is pretty explicitly an unexpected revival in an attempt to win back fans. We'll see if it actually pulls it off but even S-E/Tri-Ace are pretty open about the fact that SO4 seriously damaged the franchise.

In general it'll be interesting to see if it succeeds if just because it'll probably determine if S-E decides to invest in more console JRPGs not named Final Fantasy anytime soon. They shouldn't have FF-level sales expectations for it but it's hard to tell with S-E just how dumb their actual expectations for it are.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 19, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zereth posted:

Oh right she "escapes" but accomplishes nothing by it, yeah. That's almost worse than not escaping at all.

On the contrary, since in her path Claude is still at level 1 when meeting the boss, Rena gets to punch her captor to death, while Claude just feebly keels over dead.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I played an hour of SO3 and it's really weird. Your friend/love interest goes to get changed and this starts to play while they joke about her clothes. The music just changes back to normal the moment you enter another room.

Was that meant to be a really emotional scene or did they forget what track they used during the scene?:psyduck:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It was. Considering that they're effectively saying "We're incredibly sorry for Star Ocean 4 and everything we can say about this is promising it won't be like it," this is pretty explicitly an unexpected revival in an attempt to win back fans. We'll see if it actually pulls it off but even S-E/Tri-Ace are pretty open about the fact that SO4 seriously damaged the franchise.

In general it'll be interesting to see if it succeeds if just because it'll probably determine if S-E decides to invest in more console JRPGs not named Final Fantasy anytime soon. They shouldn't have FF-level sales expectations for it but it's hard to tell with S-E just how dumb their actual expectations for it are.

Not to get into "real fans" mentality but if everything I've read is any indication, most people who considered themselves Star Ocean fans going into 3 abandoned the franchise after the infamous twist.

I've heard more people say they quit the series because of Till than the End of Time than The Last Hope, probably because 3 scared them off before they got to 4.

Of course there's no denying 3 sold really well. It's just Like Fallout 3 which I recently played for the first time. Sold millions of copies, extremely popular, but try to find someone online who actually likes it. Well, when it comes to forums such as this anyway.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 19, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

NikkolasKing posted:

try to find someone online who actually likes it. Well, when it comes to forums such as this anyway.

Hahaha. (Seriously, you're not missing out except for a bunch of boring internet arguments. But you definitely didn't see them).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

. Sold millions of copies, extremely popular, but try to find someone online who actually likes it. Well, when it comes to forums such as this anyway.

There are tons of people on this forum who like FO3. The Fallout:NV thread was full of arguments over if it was better or worse than FO3.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Meh, I never paid too much attention since I only played the games this month but I did happen upon people here and there talking about them years back and it was pretty much nothing but "3 sucks, NV is way better in every way but especially writing."

I liked 3 well enough and I certainly don't get the hate, but I would say I've enjoyed NV more.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ImpAtom posted:

There are tons of people on this forum who like FO3. The Fallout:NV thread was full of arguments over if it was better or worse than FO3.

Haha, for a second there I read that as NV and SO3 being compared. What a bizarre argument that would've been.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
"Fallout 3 is good but New Vegas is great," while a very common, understandable, and (in my opinion) correct sentiment, isn't conducive to the melodrama and elitism that characterize arguments that geeks have on the Internet. See: the final fantasy thread title.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
if only obsidian had been allowed to make so4 :(

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Speaking of games that sold pretty great but I hear nothing of poo poo about online, what are the Fable games like? I got a 369 now and I'm thinking of checking out its RPG catalog. I've been told its very different from any other WRPG I've played. No companions like a BW game, no exploration like in Fallout 3, etc..

For JRPGs I might also look into Tales of Vesperia since everyone loves it and it be a good introduction to that franchise which I've been looking to try for a long, long time now.

I really don't know if I want to start with Vesperia, Symphonia or Abyss. (I have a PS3 and PS2 for those two already)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vesperia probably. Symphonia is a little dated and a lot of people dislike Abyss's intro since the lead is (intentionally) a huge dick at the start of the game up until about the 15 hour mark.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

NikkolasKing posted:

Speaking of games that sold pretty great but I hear nothing of poo poo about online, what are the Fable games like? I got a 369 now and I'm thinking of checking out its RPG catalog. I've been told its very different from any other WRPG I've played. No companions like a BW game, no exploration like in Fallout 3, etc..

They're full of over-promised gameplay mehcanics that were never completed. But you've got a console, so you can play the good one, Fable 2. If you don't like that, you won't like any of them.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
The stupidest decision they made with Star Ocean 4, other than you know, making it so terrible, was having it be an Xbox exclusive for an entire year before releasing the update on PS3, thus killing any hype or momentum for it whatsoever before most RPG fans even got the chance to play it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
True, as ps3 owners had plenty of time to find out how amazingly terrible it was. If it was a simultaneous release I'm sure more suckers would have bought it before the word got out.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
What's a good obscure-ish RPG from the 16-bit era? I've already played Metal Max Returns, the Gaia games, and an okay amount of random fan-translated stuff.

I bought SO4 knowing full well what it was, partially cause it was $10 and mostly cause I'm bad at avoiding bad things.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

NikkolasKing posted:

Speaking of games that sold pretty great but I hear nothing of poo poo about online, what are the Fable games like?

Full of awful dialog and boring combat. In Fable 2, you could literally go through most combat encounters in the first half of the game by mashing Y to fire your gun over and over without even moving. The gun auto aims, and the enemies are so slow you could just hammer the button and kill everything before it got to you.

All the immersive world stuff boils down to things like all NPCs having sliders showing whether they're happy or mad at you, scared or amused, etc. Then most of their dialog is like "I FIND YOU SCARY." None of it matters and it can be manipulated by just standing in front of crowds and farting at them or whatever until you've got the numbers you want. It's a series that wants you to think there's a big expansive world to dig into, but it's all really shallow and really obviously so.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

What's a good obscure-ish RPG from the 16-bit era? I've already played Metal Max Returns, the Gaia games, and an okay amount of random fan-translated stuff.

I bought SO4 knowing full well what it was, partially cause it was $10 and mostly cause I'm bad at avoiding bad things.

Live-a-live

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Million Ghosts posted:

Does EVO count as obscure-ish?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Both of those are super good games, maybe I'll play Live-a-live again and not start with the stupid ninja section.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

What's Metal Max Returns? I am looking at some screen like now and I like what I see, looks like something out desert punk.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Really open-ended for an old jrpg, sometimes annoyingly so. The setting is very cool and the sprite art for all the different tanks is well done. I like it a lot but I'd never play it without a guide open, there's just way too much missable and obscure poo poo. If you can handle it being old and janky, for sure give it a go.

There's also Metal Saga on PS2 which has basically all of the same strengths/weaknesses, with added dog party members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Million Ghosts posted:

Rudra no Hihou, AKA Treasure of the Rudra(s).