Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Scrapez posted:

If the ball hits the top of the backboard it's in play but you can't rebound your own airball. That's a travel. Has to hit backboard or rim before you touch it again. That's why dudes throw it off the backboard to themselves for a dunk.

Otherwise they would just ally pop it to themselves.

The NBA is the only level of basketball in the world where it is a violation. High school / NCAA / Junior College / Foreign Leagues / Rec Leagues / Pick up Games all allow it.

They can't alley-oop it to them selves because it's not a shot attempt. If it's a legit shot attempt you absolutely can rebound your own airball.

I guess you could argue that the NBA is the highest form of basketball so you should follow those rules, but in that vein if you are gonna call that in a pick up game you might as well call 3 in the key, 8 second back court, and other violations. You should also paint a giant NBA 3 point line on the court too.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Really it's pickup so as long as everyone can agree to a certain set of rules I guess it doesn't matter. Like good luck convincing a bunch of guys who've been playing you can't get your own airball for years that it's ok because while it's illegal in the NBA it's legal in every lower level of basketball

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

RCarr posted:

The NBA is the only level of basketball in the world where it is a violation. High school / NCAA / Junior College / Foreign Leagues / Rec Leagues / Pick up Games all allow it.

They can't alley-oop it to them selves because it's not a shot attempt. If it's a legit shot attempt you absolutely can rebound your own airball.

I guess you could argue that the NBA is the highest form of basketball so you should follow those rules, but in that vein if you are gonna call that in a pick up game you might as well call 3 in the key, 8 second back court, and other violations. You should also paint a giant NBA 3 point line on the court too.

Can't believe I didn't know that. That's crazy. Honestly, I think it's a dumb rule. Should always be a travel in my mind.

I mean especially in pick up games where you always have "that guy." You know, the one that drives to the hoop, elevates with nowhere to go, drops the ball and says the defender touched it and then gathers it back and scores.

That rule just seems like it'd be so easy to abuse.

GrahamBLY
Aug 3, 2006
Better Luck Yesterday
Dropping the ball in the air on a busted drive and picking it back up is the most annoying and juvenile thing, and you can't even punish guys for it because they are going to scream at anything resembling a reach or a swipe, god forbid you catch hand. Except otherwise they just get a freebie short range every time because you can't not jump when someone else does. All the way to 11.

To the 3 steps are ok guy, come on man. You should be expecting a hit on that third step unless you're playing with guys who can't count or don't care. You can layup from the 3pt line if you can take 3 steps.

I think these are classified as "half court problems" though, which is thankfully not my game.
Also PSA, it's warm weather wash your gym clothes- don't be mildew man!

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

RCarr posted:

About a week ago I was playing a pick up game and a dude got called for travelling. He denied it, and with a straight face said "I only took 3 steps after I pickup up my dribble." 100% serious. This dude had spent his whole life thinking that you had to take 4 steps without dribbling to be called for a travel.

This reminds me of a play at the college rec center where a dude picked up his dribble at the 3-point line so I was ready to contest a runner at the elbow. Nope, he went around me and all the way to the basket for a lay-up. Said it was a "euro-step" when he was called for traveling.

Also even though I know it's not traveling to rebound your own airball, I don't think I've ever been in a gym where it wasn't called. Even in pick-up games though, I've always played where you can get your own miss if it hits something, even if it's the backboard.

I do sometimes do a five count on fat guys loafing in the lane as a gentleman's courtesy. Most figure it out, especially when I go over/through them to swat away an entry pass.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gWxHFMog9w

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

im definitely the my bad guy

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

becoming the old guy... :negative:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm my bad guy and player coach. They got the perfect person to represent foul guy, right down to the carry shimmy-shake dribble and the squinty eyed respect the call face.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
I'm Mr accessories. I like to look good when I ball, including the full tights.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Where's Mr. Surprisingly Athletic For a Fat Dude, though?

Seems like there's always been that husky kid that would be really good if he weren't overweight but is still good.

Or Mr. I'm 6'8"but have never played basketball in my life, dude.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Scrapez posted:

Where's Mr. Surprisingly Athletic For a Fat Dude, though?

Seems like there's always been that husky kid that would be really good if he weren't overweight but is still good.

Or Mr. I'm 6'8"but have never played basketball in my life, dude.

those both fall under looks can be deceiving

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Tall dude that only takes 3's is spot on and makes me so angry. I don't care if you consider yourself a shooting guard or whatever nonsense you want to say. You are 6'5, get in the loving paint.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I like to play in the post but since I grew up in Houston I wasted my youth doing nothing but dream shakes instead of learning any nifty footwork (ironic because that was Hakeem's thing) or how to properly shoot a baby hook and am kind of babystepping my way through it as I develop my old man game

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm firmly 30 now and have dealt with tons of leg issues this year. Knee soreness and calf strains are the worst. Also, i'm usually limping around the day after. Not good.

Still, I've fully bought into my old man game. I enjoy putting a good screen on people and trash talking while playing hard nosed defense. I'm also only 5'6 and Asian, so I feel compelled to make people respect that I'm not some pushover on the court.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

I'm the tall guy who doesn't want to post up... but at least it's because I'm cutting and screening instead of shooting 3's, right guys?

Right?

Guys?

Okay fine I'll go stand on the god drat block.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If you're cutting and screening, you are probably also rebounding. I'm fine with that. I just can't stand when the tallest guy on the court is allergic to the paint. There's no reason I should be out-rebounding a dude who is literally 6-8 inches taller than me.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

RCarr posted:

Tall dude that only takes 3's is spot on and makes me so angry. I don't care if you consider yourself a shooting guard or whatever nonsense you want to say. You are 6'5, get in the loving paint.

Counter-point: I know my own game and if a guy is just going to foul me, posting up is a horrible idea that clogs up the lane and actually makes it harder for me to get a rebound or you to drive.

I don't have a problem posting up, but when I get waved off setting a screen or coming out from the high post to try to get the ball moving around, I get super annoyed.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If you are anywhere near 6'5 you should do nothing but practice post moves. You will be literally unstoppable in a pick up game. If you have somehow neglected your best attribute for your whole life, then at least crash the boards after you stagnate the offense by sitting on the 3 point line for the whole possession.

I'm 5'10 and get the majority of my points in the paint (post moves/cuts/rebounds+putbacks). If I can do it, you have no excuse. Yes, you will get the poo poo fouled out of you non-stop. That's true of anyone trying to score in the paint.

My comments are directed towards the big dudes who do not cut, do not set screens, and do not rebound. If you have a nice jumper, and you actually crash the boards, then I have no problem with you. Although you are still really stupid for not taking advantage of being the tallest guy on the court. Just learn how to establish position, and then all you need is a drop step and/or baby hook to be unstoppable.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 21, 2015

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

being unstoppable isn't as much fun as you might think. I'm 6'3 and v solid in the post, but its just not as much fun as playing elsewhere on the floor. Depending on 5'9 puerto rican dudes who fancy themselves to be peak Derrick Rose for an entry pass is a futile endeavor. I basically play like Shabazz Muhammad at this point, a little perimeter action to accompany a midrange post-up, and offensive glass game. I'm not that good at driving (good ball control handles though), but i can always get a shot up and its v fun to do a bunch of different things on offense

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

straight up brolic posted:

and its v fun to do a bunch of different things on offense

I agree. I mean in most of the pickup games I played in, I could get around my defender almost every time with my quickness/fakes but honestly it isn't that fun doing the same thing every time down the court. jab step, go around defender and make a layup or dump it off to someone else for a layup.

I would always mix it up, pass the ball (even to the dude that no one would pass to). Keep the game close and then go to the easy points moves at the end in "winning time" lol. Of course, sometimes it wouldn't work and my team would lose but yeah...it's a pickup game, who gives a poo poo. Unless you're talking about a league or something where you're actually playing seriously for something.

Nothing worse than that team that just takes advantage of their one mismatch over and over and over for an easy win. Now queue the "winning is everything" replies. :)

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 21, 2015

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah if no one on your team can throw an entry pass, it's a futile endeavor. I can feel you on that. I guess I'm odd in that I love playing in the post. Although I probably wouldn't enjoy it so much if I spent my whole life doing it or being told to do it. I guess I'm just envious of you big men, but I would love to drop step layup 11 times in a row to win a game and completely demoralize whoever was guarding me. (If they don't double team, it's their own drat fault)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The worst is setting up good positioning in the block and having a teammate just drift to the elbow and hang out, especially if it's someone who isn't that good so his defender can cheat off of him a bit

When I'm not setting up in the post, that's usually the #1 reason why

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I was a broken-down 6'2 32 year old with an old man rec league game and I was playing one on one against a 6'6 (at least) 23 year old kid who could jump much higher than me and could dribble incredibly well for a guy his size. What does he do? He shoots nothing but threes while we're playing. I figured it out early and just played him really closely and he never really got the hint. I beat him and afterwards I asked him why guys his size always want to shoot threes. People just want to be what they aren't, for some reason.

Develop a game down low. Once you have that, add to it. I can guard a guy who thinks he can shoot but I can't guard 6 feet 6 inches. If it's not fun playing down there then make it fun. You're making your teammates roll their loving eyes at you. If they won't throw an entry pass then cut to the basket more. Do something else. If they just won't pass you the ball then either you're an rear end in a top hat because you were shooting a bunch of jumpers you shouldn't be taking or you're playing with the wrong guys

BIZORT fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 21, 2015

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Glad someone agrees with me. It makes me mad at an almost subconscious level.

If you're a big man who doesn't have a hook shot you have failed as a basketball player.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 21, 2015

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

One week a 17 year old kid who had to be 6'4 or 6'5 came out, dude could jump out of the building. I saw him snag a rebound at the top of the square. He had no post moves at all and constantly set up at the elbow instead of the low block, so he would receive a pass, try and fail to back into the lane since he didn't know how to get low or use leverage, then take a mid range shot that would clank off the rim. He also took his fair share of threes, don't think he made one

If you let him get behind you though anyone could just lob it up in the general vicinity of the rim and he would go up and put it in

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I'm over 30 and only 6' tall with no hops. My best post move is a fade away jumper off the glass. Where the hell do I start?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Baby hook, the ultimate old man move

Alternately, the shot where you receive the ball at the elbow, hold it about a foot in front of you, don't jump at all and drill a line drive shot from about shoulder level that makes you wonder how the gently caress that goes in

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

havelock posted:

I'm over 30 and only 6' tall with no hops. My best post move is a fade away jumper off the glass. Where the hell do I start?

Pump fake, layup. No one fakes in pickup ball.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
Post fade, baby hook, up and under, drop step. Rinse repeat as you eat their lunch. I'm only 6'1''. I can post, handle, and cut. Doing it all is what you want, especially if you're playing rec with like 8 guys and have to be a jack of all trades.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Baby hook all day every day. Come at me dawg

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

IMO you haven't lived until you've mercilessly euroed past an old guy who has no chance of doing anything about it

One day I will be the one having his lunch eaten though

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
I don't think the issue is as much with being tall, but with keeping doing things you clearly can't.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I played with a dude who was 72 years old one day. Seventy loving two. It was a mixture of respect and sadness. I respected the hell out of him because he was clearly hustling his rear end off. Mostly keeping up with a mix of dudes between the ages of 25-50. He never really impacted the game, but he wasn't getting beaten constantly.

Sadness because aparantly at 70+ your arms/shoulders don't allow you to shoot properly. Every shot attempt he had to put the ball in one hand and throw it overhand like a baseball.

I don't think he made a shot, but it was a pretty cool thing to see. Props to that guy. I really don't want to get old :(

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

RCarr posted:

I played with a dude who was 72 years old one day. Seventy loving two. It was a mixture of respect and sadness. I respected the hell out of him because he was clearly hustling his rear end off. Mostly keeping up with a mix of dudes between the ages of 25-50. He never really impacted the game, but he wasn't getting beaten constantly.

Sadness because aparantly at 70+ your arms/shoulders don't allow you to shoot properly. Every shot attempt he had to put the ball in one hand and throw it overhand like a baseball.

I don't think he made a shot, but it was a pretty cool thing to see. Props to that guy. I really don't want to get old :(

Getting that old is a hell of alot better than never getting that old.

GrahamBLY
Aug 3, 2006
Better Luck Yesterday
My assistant coach is 72? yrs old, he's a former D1 and international player, he's about 6'4'' now but he's a little stooped. He played in my recent fundraiser, maybe 6 or 7 minutes total. He totally just loves the game of basketball and wants to be as involved as he possibly can be: coaching, reffing, or hanging out by pickup games to heckle people.

His triple threat is this crazy circular motion that probably used to give people fits, he's got an amazing post game and is just always in the right place at the right time, I know he's running his old rear end off but he really does make it all look pretty effortless. He can hook or layup but not really shoot, too much mileage on his arms probably. He can definitely hang with anyone, but only 2 minutes at a time. Bonus points for wearing kobes with a brandless $1 headband and the shortest shorts you've ever seen. Likes: comfortable shoes, catching the ball on a block, and outlet passes. Hates: 3 pointers, travelling ("It happens every posession!"), and the NBA.

I'm almost half his age and I'm pretty used to being the old shitter at the Y, and he can still make me look bad sometimes. He never says anything, he just does his old man shuffle back on D with a big smile on his face. Old basketball dudes are the best!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: wrong thread

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

havelock posted:

three point shot

e: I'm that rear end in a top hat that shoots all of the time but really shouldn't. Although when we play in the morning we had a team of 5 and my buddy yelled at me to shoot everytime I got the ball. So it WASN'T MY FAULT.

I'd go a cool 1-5 for 3/4ths of the game then do a random 8/10 or some poo poo. Basketball is weird and I haven't played it in awhile and now I want to.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Regnevelc posted:

three point shot

e: I'm that rear end in a top hat that shoots all of the time but really shouldn't. Although when we play in the morning we had a team of 5 and my buddy yelled at me to shoot everytime I got the ball. So it WASN'T MY FAULT.

I'd go a cool 1-5 for 3/4ths of the game then do a random 8/10 or some poo poo. Basketball is weird and I haven't played it in awhile and now I want to.

I'm already a super solid mid range and out shooter, and I can make an entry pass and cut.

Last night was a bit rough though. Caught a kicked ball to the nose, got my own finger nail hit into my eye brow, and partially rolled my ankle. Nothing serious at all, just one of those nights. I still hit a bunch and had fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

In addition to being the my bad and player coach guys, I'm also the guy who goes into heat check mode way too easily if I drain a few in a row

• Locked thread