Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

More or less every Shaw Bros movie directed by Chang Cheh, almost to an absurd degree.

My favorite is Dirty Ho with gordon liu that film is so funny and out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a good place to purchase these on DVD/Blu Ray besides Amazon?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I wish they'd put a proper Pedicab Driver release out.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I binged through the One Armed Boxer and Flying Guillotine, is there anymore films to those ones?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Abu Dave posted:

I binged through the One Armed Boxer and Flying Guillotine, is there anymore films to those ones?

You could watch all one hundred Wong Fei Hung movies.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I wish they'd put a proper Pedicab Driver release out.

Couldn't agree more, probably one of the best martial arts flicks out there that nobody's heard of. The fight between Sammo Hung and Chia-liang Liu is among the best I've ever seen!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Abu Dave posted:

Watch the One Armed Swordsman films next.

Then if you can't get enough of cripples watch Return of the Five Deadly Venoms A.K.A. Crippled Avengers.

And if you're really desperate for some more cripple action watch The Crippled Masters.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Boinks posted:

Watch the One Armed Swordsman films next.

Then if you can't get enough of cripples watch Return of the Five Deadly Venoms A.K.A. Crippled Avengers.

And if you're really desperate for some more cripple action watch The Crippled Masters.

Except watch Crippled Avengers first because it's the best film ever made.

Not the best martial arts film, the best film.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Should I watch Five Deadly Venoms first?

I don't know why I love these films so much.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Abu Dave posted:

Should I watch Five Deadly Venoms first?

I don't know why I love these films so much.

It's not actually a sequel -- they just gave it that title to cash in on the popularity of 5 Deadly Venoms. So don't worry about which one you watch first.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Except watch Crippled Avengers first because it's the best film ever made.

Not the best martial arts film, the best film.

Seconded.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

But you should definitely watch Five Deadly Venoms sometime if you haven't seen it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I was trying to go through the list in the OP so that's on there; I skipped a few (One Armed Swordsman, Angry River) and am up to Lady Snowblood and 36 Chamber. I'm not too sure about either though as I tend to like these movies more riduclous and they both seem a little more serious :shrug:.

Will probably watch 5 Deadly Venoms in a bit then.

What's the absolutely most ridiculous martial arts movie around? I think I saw a image of a penis monster or something earlier in this thread?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Abu Dave posted:

Yeah I was trying to go through the list in the OP so that's on there; I skipped a few (One Armed Swordsman, Angry River) and am up to Lady Snowblood and 36 Chamber. I'm not too sure about either though as I tend to like these movies more riduclous and they both seem a little more serious :shrug:.

What's the absolutely most ridiculous martial arts movie around? I think I saw a image of a penis monster or something earlier in this thread?

Riki-Oh:The Story of Ricky has to be a contender. Also, Fantasy Mission Force (although calling it a Kung Fu movie is a bit of a stretch, it does have Jimmy Wang Yu and Jackie Chan in it, and the story of why Jackie is in it is interesting), as is Return of the Bastard Swordsman. Here's a description:

quote:

It’s pretty common for people in kung fu movies to have superpowers—they fly, punch trees in half, whatever. There is a man in Return of the Bastard Swordsman who has mastered the power of the silkworm, and he uses that power to produce silk from his hands at will. Don’t laugh—he can spear enemies through the torso with solid shafts of silk, or hurl a massive cocoon at them.

Set against this formidable super-pugilist is an evil cult master with the ability to make an opponent’s heart explode, causing him to vomit blood. For some reason he accomplishes this by repeatedly puffing up his chest like a toad. Only by playing big taiko drums can one hope to counter his attack.

This film, released by Shaw Brothers in the mid-eighties, is a prime example of what filmmakers can do using only practical effects, with just a smattering of ILM-style visuals, particularly during a major fight scene midway through the story. Breakneck old school personal combat combines with wirework, flying boulders, whirling silken cocoons as big as an Oldsmobile, and general magic martial arts craziness to make a viewing experience that is delightful, compelling, and visually one of a kind.

Although this is a sequel to the Shaw Brothers film Bastard Swordsman, it isn’t necessary to have seem the first film to thoroughly enjoy this one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Fantasy Mission Force is about as crazy as it gets.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am going to track down all three of those, but it looks like Fantasy Mission Force is impossible to find other than a english dub on YOUTUBE damnit >:(

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Abu Dave posted:

Watch this early Yuen Woo-Ping trilogy:

The Miracle Fighters
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084557/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXPm3kt9gMQ

Shaolin Drunkard
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086303/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYqbf_XexnA

Taoism Drunkard
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085628
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DatkVK-q2N8

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Taoism Drunkard, or "Drunken Wu Tang" as I knew it, was a college staple for my friends. Such a delight (with some good fights, unsurprisingly).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Abu Dave posted:

I am going to track down all three of those, but it looks like Fantasy Mission Force is impossible to find other than a english dub on YOUTUBE damnit >:(

Try to find Pink Force Commando if you really want your brain fried.

Also this is the best Miracle Fighters poster...

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Abu Dave posted:

Lady Snowblood and 36th Chamber of Shaolin are pretty serious but they also kick rear end.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll watch those eventually; i watched the Five Deadly Venoms and that movie was hella rad.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Very good choice.

I realize I'm whoring this basically everywhere but I'm doing a 4/20 stream tonight at 8 central and Five Element Ninjas and Shogun Assassin are on the slate, everyone come watch

https://synchtu.be/r/buttstream

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Try to find Pink Force Commando if you really want your brain fried.

Also this is the best Miracle Fighters poster...

There needs to be a blu-ray version of the Miracle Fighters, and a proper translation. It is one of my favorite movies of all time.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

If you want super powered kung fu, look no further than the Shaw Brothers' Chinese Fairy Wu Xia'ish adaptation of Superman: "Descendant of the Sun" (1983)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW9ylycrfBU

G-III fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 21, 2015

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

G-III posted:

If you want super powered kung fu, look no further than the Shaw Brothers' Chinese Fairy Wu Xia'ish adaptation of Superman: "Descendant of the Sun" (1983)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW9ylycrfBU
Holy gently caress this is just... is an acid flashback in film form.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
There was a 40 or 50 minute documentary released in 90/91/92 (can't quite remember) called The Best of the Martial Arts Films. I've never been able to track this thing down anywhere. Does anyone know if it ever got a DVD release maybe?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Oh poo poo, I just found out Bey Logan is producing Crouching Tiger 2. :stare: This might actually not suck.

e: nevermind, apparently his filmmaking skills are nowhere near his film history skills. :stare: Jesus that is a bad filmography.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 21, 2015

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Oh poo poo, I just found out Bey Logan is producing Crouching Tiger 2. :stare: This might actually not suck.

e: nevermind, apparently his filmmaking skills are nowhere near his film history skills. :stare: Jesus that is a bad filmography.

He should release commentary tracks for 99 cents online. I'd buy every one even if I didn't have the movie to watch along with it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
His greatest feat was making Donnie Yen seem kind of likable on the Iron Monkey commentary track.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo @ Return of the Five Deadly Venoms. :stare:

Are there other notable Venom movies? I really like this gang

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Abu Dave posted:

The best Venom Mob films are:

5 Venoms/Return of 5 Venoms (Crippled Avengers)
Kid With The Golden Arm
Masked Avengers
Killer Army
Magnificent Ruffians
Shaolin Daredevils
Five Element Ninjas
Flag Of Iron
10 Tigers of Kwangtung

I have not seen them all, though. Masked Avengers in particular is real mean and dark and probably the goriest other than Five Element Ninjas. Flag of Iron has got some magnificent stuff in it, Kid With The Golden Arm is probably most like Crippled Avengers (far and away the best of the Venoms films).

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Going to watch all of those, thanks.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Abu Dave posted:

Anything director Cheh Chang does should be similar. These movies are pretty drat fruity, but it's all the same crew and all the same plot line.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
To go back to "crazy martial arts movies" I want to recommend anything that has Chinese martial arts combined with sorcery. For starters, Sammo Hung's Spooky Encounters might be the easiest to find. If you can find it though, The Seventh Curse is the best of the best in my mind!

As for Fantasy Mission Force, I have it on a cheap 3-pack with 36 Crazy Fists and Young Master. Haven't watched the DVD itself (seen all the films on their own long ago) but for $4 I couldn't go wrong. I don't see it on Amazon now, but I'm sure it can't be that hard to find.

While Fantasy Mission Force is completely bonkers, I've always been partial to Jackie's Spiritual Kung Fu. In said movie, Jackie learns kung fu from 5 miniature ghosts wearing red wigs and tutus, this is after he pees on them mind you. Aside from the craziness there are some wicked fight scenes here capped off with Jackie and a pair of tonfa taking on almost two dozen staff-wielding monks. So, yeah, check these both out.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Starscream posted:

To go back to "crazy martial arts movies" I want to recommend anything that has Chinese martial arts combined with sorcery. For starters, Sammo Hung's Spooky Encounters might be the easiest to find. If you can find it though, The Seventh Curse is the best of the best in my mind!

As for Fantasy Mission Force, I have it on a cheap 3-pack with 36 Crazy Fists and Young Master. Haven't watched the DVD itself (seen all the films on their own long ago) but for $4 I couldn't go wrong. I don't see it on Amazon now, but I'm sure it can't be that hard to find.

While Fantasy Mission Force is completely bonkers, I've always been partial to Jackie's Spiritual Kung Fu. In said movie, Jackie learns kung fu from 5 miniature ghosts wearing red wigs and tutus, this is after he pees on them mind you. Aside from the craziness there are some wicked fight scenes here capped off with Jackie and a pair of tonfa taking on almost two dozen staff-wielding monks. So, yeah, check these both out.

To go with The Seventh Curse try to find the other two Wisely movies: Bury Me High and the Legend of Wisely. Amazing films.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Starscream posted:

I found the pack on Amazon but they seem to be english dubbed only :/.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fantasy Mission Force sure was something :stare:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
BTW, if you've never seen Pedicab Driver, it's on youtube, with subtitles in Cantonese, right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOSOWnhQtiQ

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Slaapaav posted:

Carano is not a pro actor and the whole movie is built around that fact to try and turn it into a strength. i loving hate hollywood and how they usually portray women like a pile of emotions ready to explode when something in their love life goes wrong. They have her portray someone that talks like someone would talk or act in real life and not like someone would in a movie, she doesnt always show the emotions of her character so the viewer can see it 100% of the time, real people can hide their emotions from others while still having those emotions inside of them.

they use natural sound and show the movement and the impact from the strikes in the same shot, it has tons of cuts but they dont hide anything they just give you a better angle to see every move ALSO NO SHAKY CAM. Its like what a fight looks and sounds like in a dojo where there is nobody around shouting or making any noise like you see in the ufc where there are thousands of screaming fans in the audience. they take this reality and then up the brutality level and flashyness by a lot so you get fight scenes that are increadibly effective on the viewer
Got round to watching Haywire earlier and I definitely agree with some of this. The fight scenes were great but the film felt like a missed opportunity. The plot never really engaged me and none of the big names really justified their inclusion. Carano herself was good, although she was dubbed. A shame, since it really could've been a female Bourne film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

Got round to watching Haywire earlier and I definitely agree with some of this. The fight scenes were great but the film felt like a missed opportunity. The plot never really engaged me and none of the big names really justified their inclusion. Carano herself was good, although she was dubbed. A shame, since it really could've been a female Bourne film.

It kind of was if they'd been made in the 70s.