Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

debacle that is Robotech RPG Tactics

Oh? What's going on with this? The only thing I've heard about it is that it's "really cool looking" from a guy I know whose blog has gone from actual articles about games to sales pitches in order to get free stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Sean Patrick Fannon, a Savage Worlds author, has dropped some pretty heavy hints about the non-Palladium Rifts thing. Meanwhile, the RPGnet thread about it continues to be dumb.

Len posted:

Oh? What's going on with this? The only thing I've heard about it is that it's "really cool looking" from a guy I know whose blog has gone from actual articles about games to sales pitches in order to get free stuff.

I didn't follow the Kickstarter itself, but I get the impression that it started out with some reassurances along the lines of "Kevin's being hands-off, letting Ninja Division do their own thing" and then that gradually being revealed to not be the case. Beyond that, they promised the Moon, with super great looking minis using a small amount of parts, but it turns out they're going to be mediocre-average detail models sometimes with a distressing number of parts to assemble. It's also running late, which isn't too surprising because it is after all a TG Kickstarter, but Palladium's involvement only tightens sphincters in that regard.

Then, of course, there's Kevin posting Kickstarter updates that read a lot like "it's all ND's fault and I am very disappointed, but I guess I forgive them." He ran some weird, lopsided poll using Kickstarter comments—anyone who didn't respond at all counted as a "Yea"—to mollify himself over selling first-wave boxes at GenCon before shipping to backers. Instead of, you know, being a loving adult who runs a loving business and just telling everyone "Look, GenCon is a big deal and it would be bad not to sell there, so I'm sorry but some people will get this stuff before some backers."

Last I heard, which admittedly was a few months ago, a grip of people still hadn't received their first-wave boxes, and the second-wave boxes still hadn't shipped.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Plague of Hats posted:

Sean Patrick Fannon, a Savage Worlds author, has dropped some pretty heavy hints about the non-Palladium Rifts thing. Meanwhile, the RPGnet thread about it continues to be dumb.

Any thread where people are seriously recommending Strands of Fate for anything is a terrible thread.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Evil Mastermind posted:

Any thread where people are seriously recommending Strands of Fate for anything is a terrible thread.

A lot of people hoping whatever system it's converted to is going to act pretty much the same as whatever version of Rifts they've cobbled together for their table.

quote:

Removing the gulf between SDC (human) and MDC (Mech/Dragon/Magic) would massively change the feel of the setting and I am pretty sure that whatever this new game is, it won't be allowed to contradict any of the setting details from the past 25 years of Rifts. So the best we can really hope for is a game that will run the Rifts setting we all know and love without rules that are a pain in the arse to use. I think Savage Worlds is a reasonable choice for that.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I recall that I look into Savage Worlds every year or two, then completely forget about it. Probably because I only get to the part where they say they use "the traditional spread of RPG dice, d4-d20" and then close the book. This is also why I never give the time of day to Cortex stuff, even though Smallville was really cool.

Good luck, Rifts!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'll be honest; I have never understood the appeal of Rifts. It's always felt to me like something a hyperactive 12-year-old would come up with while loudly banging his action figures together to make them fight.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I thought you said you didn't understand the appeal?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'll be honest; I have never understood the appeal of Rifts. It's always felt to me like something a hyperactive 12-year-old would come up with while loudly banging his action figures together to make them fight.

RIFTS® is one of those things that is really awesome when you're a teenager and have a lot of time on your hands and don't know about any good systems. It's got this hodge-podge collection of magic and technology, with literal crazy-men and giant robot suits and drug-fueled Flash ninjas and loving DRAGONS WITH LASER GUNS HOLY poo poo.

It quickly loses its appeal once you either grow up a little, or find systems less insane and broken. I'm pretty sure the height of its popularity coincided with the lack of the internet being so common-place and so you just didn't know any better; that was the case with me growing up, as I played a lot of it at the turn of the century when I was 16-17.

Now I won't touch that poo poo with a ten-foot pole, despite owning a couple of the books.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Esser-Z posted:

I thought you said you didn't understand the appeal?
Seriously. It's "Over-Active Middle Schooler After Five Bowls Of Sugar Cereal: The RPG". What's not to love (if you're 14 years old)?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Len posted:

Well, where to start?

To be up front, the main part of the game is out and is playable (albeit with notable errata), and AFAIK is out to all backers. That being said...
  • It's late. Wave 1 ran about a year ahead of their projected date, and wave 2 will be running a year and a half to two years late.
  • Kevin Siembieda's tack has been to cast blame around everywhere, including pass-aggy jabs at their partner, Ninja Division.
  • The minis look solid, but are exceedingly difficult to assemble, between a very vague assembly guide and a lot of similar, redundant, and unlabeled parts.
  • The rules have already required essential errata. The Zentraedi practically require if to be playable out of the box.
  • Unit and upgrade info is not included in the rule book, only on record cards that come with each mini. This means you don't necessarily know what they do before buying them...
  • With only wave 1 of minis out, some factions are a bit weak (Zentraedi) or unplayable (Malcontents).

I'm sure there's other stuff, but that's what comes to mind immediately.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Plague of Hats posted:

Sean Patrick Fannon, a Savage Worlds author, has dropped some pretty heavy hints about the non-Palladium Rifts thing.

That sounds plausible enough, if hilarious. It'd be quite the punchline it it's true.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

RIFTS® is one of those things that is really awesome when you're a teenager and have a lot of time on your hands and don't know about any good systems. It's got this hodge-podge collection of magic and technology, with literal crazy-men and giant robot suits and drug-fueled Flash ninjas and loving DRAGONS WITH LASER GUNS HOLY poo poo.

It quickly loses its appeal once you either grow up a little, or find systems less insane and broken.

There's actually a guy in the RPGNet thread who flat-out says he wants the game to make him feel like he's 12 again.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Evil Mastermind posted:

There's actually a guy in the RPGNet thread who flat-out says he wants the game to make him feel like he's 12 again.

Well ever since his uncle was locked up he's been needing something to do that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

theironjef posted:

:stare: drat, son.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I just embarrassed myself in front of Steve Inskeep. Give me some good RPG news so I can forget my shame.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

So I just embarrassed myself in front of Steve Inskeep. Give me some good RPG news so I can forget my shame.
How does one embarrass oneself in front of Steve Inskeep, the most embarrassing man at NPR.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Did you laugh at one of his jokes?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

FactsAreUseless posted:

Did you laugh at one of his jokes?

That must be why he keeps laughing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Effectronica posted:

That must be why he keeps laughing.
Steve Inskeep loves to laugh at his own jokes. I know this because I am Steve Inskeep.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Ettin posted:

You son of a bitch. Do you know how many goons just rushed to tell me this?

I honestly thought it was too blatant for anyone to believe!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

theironjef posted:

Yeah, that uncle was a surprisingly good GM.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

For those who care about such things, the Origins 2015 nominee list is up. I think this may be the first year in a while that doesn't have a Pathfinder book on the ballot.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

For those who care about such things, the Origins 2015 nominee list is up. I think this may be the first year in a while that doesn't have a Pathfinder book on the ballot.

On one hand, Atomic Robo and Firefly the RPG are in there.

On the other, so is D&D Next, twice

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

gradenko_2000 posted:

How much of a coup would it be if everybody voted for Atomic Robo and, I dunno, Emerald City over the two D&D Next books on offer?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Which means that D&D will win, solely because it's D&D.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Mind's Eye Theatre is kind of funny if you're familiar with the tabletop versions of stuff because the bias is crazy. You can tell who were the favorites in Vampire and Werewolf because they outclass the others to a greater degree than what would happen with clan/tribe books. Someone was so mad about not winning at everything that they created an entire rule system that allowed them to.

Really? When I did WoD LARP, everyone seemed to have one specialty that they completely own (Assamites and shadowy killing, Ventrue and political manipulation, Gangrel and straight up beating rear end, Malks and being able to completely gently caress your plans without acting OOC, etc), but kinda seemed gimped in everything else.

Also, is there a 5e-bomb of sorts? I'm trying to dig up all the reasons why 5e is terrible for a friend but can't find anything off the forums. He wants to introduce a kid to elfgames with 5e and I'm trying to explain to him that the kid is just going to run screaming in the other direction.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 21, 2015

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Really? When I did WoD LARP, everyone seemed to have one specialty that they completely own (Assamites and shadowy killing, Ventrue and political manipulation, Gangrel and straight up beating rear end, Malks and being able to completely gently caress your plans without acting OOC, etc), but kinda seemed gimped in everything else.

Also, is there a 5e-bomb of sorts? I'm trying to dig up all the reasons why 5e is terrible for a friend but can't find anything off the forums. He wants to introduce a kid to elfgames with 5e and I'm trying to explain to him that the kid is just going to run screaming in the other direction.

A little kid is going to love 5e. All the issues with it are nuanced stuff tied into playing elfgames for a long time. Kids aren't going to care that the warlord was pulled out or that 3/4s of the stuff that was promised in development was jettisoned or that bards are better rogues than rogues or that giant alphabetical spell indices are stupid.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
According to a forbes interview, apparently 5e is doing great in sales. In that same interview, the guy making it has the weirdest (and wrong) thoughts on what makes a game about the story.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

theironjef posted:

LOL! Child molestation ftw!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

RIFTs was the first PnP game I ever heard of. When I was a little kid my babysitter would go on and on about how loving cool glitterboys were in between teaching me to play Magic.

Teaching another kid how to play Magic later would get me invited to his D&D group and that's how I got into this dumb hobby.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

theironjef posted:

A little kid is going to love 5e. All the issues with it are nuanced stuff tied into playing elfgames for a long time. Kids aren't going to care that the warlord was pulled out or that 3/4s of the stuff that was promised in development was jettisoned or that bards are better rogues than rogues or that giant alphabetical spell indices are stupid.

While I agree that a little kid isn't going to care about all of the in-depth game design bullet points that makes 5e poo poo, what he is going to care about is the pages and pages of rules to do loving anything in that game, combat especially.

It may well be the easiest D&D to learn (it's not, BECMI exists), but it's far from being the easiest RPG to learn. If I had to do it again I'd introduce people to RPGs with Lasers and Feelings, or World of Dungeons, or even GURPS Ultra-Lite.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alternately, you could get one of the many RPGs made specifically for playing with kids.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

And it's semi-official: the new Rifts game will be using the Savage Worlds engine: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/04/21/pinnacle-entertainment-make-savage-worlds-edition-palladium-books-rifts-rpg/

I'm not adverse to SW myself, I enjoy it well enough, but I feel sorry for whoever they have writing this because he's going to be the one who has to deal with Kevin and the "but the OLD RULES SAID" fanbase.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

LOL! Child molestation ftw!
I can't believe he went there! I can't believe it... he went there! One man goes where you won't believe... you won't believe what happens next!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Per the rules in the MET, no houseruling or using clanbooks, none of that was guaranteed and those clans were far from owning anything. Quietus and protean were nice but they're far from great. Protean is kind of a grab bag discipline so it goes a long way but quietus is limited by not using tabletop rules. Malkavians were completely gimped and dementation was a trash tier discipline in MET. You were honestly handicapping yourself if you didn't go "old Malkavian" and have dominate. Dominate is not unique to the Ventrue as well and any other clan can learn it without a teacher so :shrug:. Most clans were firmly entrenched in mediocrity beyond day 1. Due to the mechanics of the MET system too if you ever went up against anyone lower generation than you, you lost because it was impossible for a higher generation vampire to win after a couple generations. There were so many things baked into the system that made neonate on methuselah violence so impossible that the whole back story of the game could have never happened.

Look at obtenabration in tabletop and then in MET. Now look at potence. Now think about that in relation to other clans and the synergy of their disciplines. There's some stuff in the clanbooks that is pretty powerful, Path of Levinbolt comes to mind for Tremere, but its painfully obvious that some clans were made better than others from the start. The same is true in werewolf. Though it's a tribebook power, an elder Shadowlord power allows the character to command a god level spirit to kill themselves. Douchy dark reflections of the leader clan/tribe pretty much ruled the day/night.

The biggest problem with MET is the lack of dice and an explosion mechanic. The ability to gain a critical success doesn't exist. You either win or you lose. If you have more stats, you win, and when you have double the stats of the target, you always win outright or win on the tie. It's one of the few instances where something is worse than the original storyteller mechanics.

EDIT:

I think it's great that TG goons have moved on from bitching about Pathfinder being on the Origins Awards list or in the Ennies to 5e Dungeons and Dragons.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 21, 2015

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I can't believe he went there! I can't believe it... he went there! One man goes where you won't believe... you won't believe what happens next!

Let's take these people who were raped in their childhood down a peg. Punch-up humor at its best!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The thing about Malks is, yeah, their mechanical powers suck, but narratively, playing a Malk is pretty much an rear end in a top hat License. You can subtly dick with your characterization to mess with people's plans ("oh, that Gangrel is trying to take me out by targeting someone I'm loyal to? too bad, I decided 'gently caress them' when I woke up this evening") and it's not actually OOC behavior because Malks are nutters, which is super super important in MES even if it might not be a Thing in tabletop.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 21, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

LORD OF BUTT posted:

To be blunt, I wouldn't sweat it so much. It's not that 5e is bad (or at least no more or less than most of the bastards in the D&D brood), just that it's pointedly average. But I'm not sure you need to sweat that so much when running for kids. I feel sometimes like RPG fora are like that stereotype of wine tasters ("mmm... this feat list is a little bland... Do I detect a hint if 1994 Shadowrun?") over a lot of stuff that is no big fuss to casual players.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The ease with which a character can die at level 1 without serious DM interventionism is something that's going to matter to a child and will rear its head pretty much immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The thing about Malks is, yeah, their mechanical powers suck, but narratively, playing a Malk is pretty much an rear end in a top hat License. You can subtly dick with your characterization to mess with people's plans ("oh, that Gangrel is trying to take me out by targeting someone I'm loyal to? too bad, I decided 'gently caress them' when I woke up this evening") and it's not actually OOC behavior because Malks are nutters, which is super super important in MES even if it might not be a Thing in tabletop.

There's nothing in the MET book that justifies that and that's just someone's personal take on the clan. It's not going to matter anyways when they're ripped in half like a phone book by shadow tentacles with 5 levels of potence.

• Locked thread