Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I guess most of you guys will be really happy with the third show then, it will be only 13 episodes or so.

I guess I was wrong about the shapeshifter turning into Eobard at some point. :saddowns:

It was a really enjoyable episode and no one was yelling at Laurel for a change. I'm ready for the final stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Krad posted:

I guess I was wrong about the shapeshifter turning into Eobard at some point. :saddowns:
I fully expect it to still happen.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Krad posted:

Barry breaking everyone out is in like 2 episodes and we already know the Eobard actor has another episode, so....

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Darth Ballz posted:

AoS is also one of the most heavily commercialed shows, I swear (subjectively, i have no idea) that each one only seems to be like 40 minutes long.

They're all 40 minutes long. Flash, Arrow. All of them on normal TV.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Well, apparently even Malcolm Merlyn knows about Barry, if what he said tonight is any indication.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Scyantific posted:

Well, apparently even Malcolm Merlyn knows about Barry, if what he said tonight is any indication.

Barry whispered it to Thea in the half-second he was running by her in the crossover episodes.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

I liked the episode but I had a few lingering critiques.

I would have preferred that the Trickster to be the last villain of the week for the season and for episodes 18 and 19 to be about moving the Wells plotline forward. That would end the routine villain of the week bit on a high note. I think season 2 of Arrow focuses exclusively in the Deathstroke plotline for the majority of its last quarter season and it was amazing. Plus I don't think the past two villains were particularly compelling, especially when we are all antsy for the main plot to be developed. While it has been neat on some level to see the team taking on these new villains in the midst of their Wells investigation, the villains felt more like empty filler better suited for early to mid season episodes.

I also wish that they had saved the Eobard flashbacks for this episode. The reveal of the body's identity fell flat for the audience, even if it is cool to see the team react to it for the first time. I think it would have been a lot cooler to see the interplay of the flashbacks and the discovery of the body.

Iris has also pushed forward her plotline of basically being a mentally challenged person, but I think that is assumed the moment we change the channel to CW.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rarity posted:

Am I the only one who hates this meme?

It was amusing but then :regd08:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
It's a me, Barry! Itsa always been me!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I don't normally go for graphic tees, but I immediately went to the site and got it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Does that make Waluigi Professor Zoom?

Oh wait they're just the same aren't they.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Not God, Waluigi!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Synopsis for "Rogue Air" is out

Man that episode is gonna own SO HARD :flashfap:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Captain Cold getting the Rogues Gallery together. What a time to be alive.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If they won't hook up Barry and Caitlin, then I hope they go with Barry and Eddie. It was cool seeing them working together. And again, they had more chemistry together than either does with Iris.

Even if it's just them as wacky roommates, I'm down. Then Cisco can move in with them. Let's get a spinoff just about this.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

THAT'S NOT HER NAME!

Rarity posted:

Am I the only one who hates this meme?

Am I the only one who's never heard of this meme?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

McSpanky posted:

Am I the only one who's never heard of this meme?

It's Kyle McLaughlin being a ham on SHIELD.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

Shipp added that the spinoff has been picked up for 13 episodes, and listed CBS's Supergirl among the lineup of shows that will make up the shared DC TV universe. This is an idea we've heard before -- Supergirl shares the same producing team as Flash and Arrow -- although it has yet to be confirmed by either WBTV or The CW.

This is pretty shocking. CBS has a lot more weight to throw around as far as TV goes, but I worry that a CW style Supergirl show won't be a CBS ratings hit. The CW could have a DC show on every single night and still get the ratings they need to sustain them because they people watching Arrow and Flash would almost certainly start watching a Dr. Fate or Hawkman show if they know its all a shared universe.

I'm kind of hoping the CW does short mini-series for the side characters, ATOM, Firestorm, Arsenal, that feature minor appearances from the big names but are still fun as hell to watch.

David D. Davidson posted:

It's Kyle McLaughlin being ham loving amazing on SHIELD.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The interview they're talking about with Shipp was linked a while back and the way he talked was anything but definitive in regards to Supergirl being part of the shared universe. In fact the answer he gave was I believe to a question about the different continuities between the movies and shows and he just mentioned the shows in the same answer.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Yep. 12, 13, 15 episode seasons are the way to go. They let the writers focus on the core arc(s) instead of having to pad out half the season with filler.

I don't think filler is intrinsically bad, some shows do it well, but it feels like EVERY show does it at this point, I'm just sick of 22-26 episode seasons.

I've been down on the US 22 episode seasons for a while now. Growing up in the UK shows are typically 6-10 episodes, but sometimes more or less if the writers think they need that space to to tell their story.

For me the problem with longer US series has been highlighted more recently as the base quality of shows has risen - the bad filler stuff just sticks out more.

Darth Ballz posted:

AoS is also one of the most heavily commercialed shows, I swear (subjectively, i have no idea) that each one only seems to be like 40 minutes long.

All "hour" long network tv shows are 40-45 mins long, AoS is no different. And 30 min sitcoms are actually only 22 mins of show time.

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 23, 2015

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Even network TV is experimenting with shorter episode orders - How to get away with murder and Empire come to mind immediately.

If you'd like to see a great example of telling "Cases of the week" that build into a proper story arc, you ought to give Agent Carter a go. Its 7 episodes long, so a small binge is all you'd need. Really, truly great writing top to bottom.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Hate to break it to you but Agent Carter was not a good example of a case of the week show, much less a good one.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It was better than this show.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
What a brilliant troll you have just executed my friend surely all of the jimmies shall be rustled with great intensity

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Don't wanna piss off fans of the flash. The only way to escape them is to announce you are about to escape and then slowly walk around a corner.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Krad posted:

I guess most of you guys will be really happy with the third show then, it will be only 13 episodes or so.

If The Flash wasn't the only real hit on the CW, I'd have loved to see them move to 13 episodes a season with 4 DC shows. Do Flash/Arrow in the Fall, and Legends/something else in the Spring, with constant crossovers.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

TyrantWD posted:

If The Flash wasn't the only real hit on the CW, I'd have loved to see them move to 13 episodes a season with 4 DC shows. Do Flash/Arrow in the Fall, and Legends/something else in the Spring, with constant crossovers.

Hang on now. Even with the silly name iZombie is pretty great, decent CW ratings be damned.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Agent Carter was a loving fantastic show, and at least SHIELD's characters generally behave like actual human beings as opposed to flaky drama magnets. This most recent episode had Coulson trying to save Lead Girl by teaming up with Unambiguously Evil Person She Hates Most In The World. When Lead Girl sees them working side-by-side at the end of the episode, does she immediately assume the worst? Does she fly off the handle and be all "EVERYBODY BETRAY ME, I FED UP WITH THIS WORLD!?" Nope, she makes the reasonable assumption that it was a necessary evil and is happy to see Coulson. Flash would've milked the poo poo out of that misunderstanding and had them not talk for weeks.

SHIELD is not a perfect show, but for having characters behave reasonably and believably, it runs circles around Flash.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
REAL Shield's entire thing is having a bug so far up their rear end about whatever Coulson was up to that they've ignored the entire rest of the world to find out what he is doing. Deal with HYDRA, the massive terrorist organization that dismantled your organization and killed all your friends? gently caress THAT, WHAT IS COULSON NOT TELLING US?! God forbid they have come in from the cold and have actually helped him, or conversely gone over to the government. No. Only our secret and illegal spy group can deal with his secret and illegal spy group and it's crimes of being secret and illegal!

e: It is basically pointless antagonism to drag out the middle of the season and keep them from being untied when Hydra and the Inhumans do poo poo, because otherwise they'd roll over one or both of them. It is the definition of bad, time wasting writing.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 23, 2015

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Spergatory posted:

Flash would've milked the poo poo out of that misunderstanding and had them not talk for weeks.

Agreed on the Agent Cater bit, but let's be fair here. Flash might have dragged it out for an episode and a half, absolute maximum. I mean, the time where Cisco gave Snart Barry's name to save his brother was handled (edit: and handled well!) in about 2 minutes from the time we the audience found out about it. Now, this type of show four or five years ago would have absolutely milked it for at least three or four episodes, if not half a season.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spergatory posted:

Agent Carter was a loving fantastic show, and at least SHIELD's characters generally behave like actual human beings as opposed to flaky drama magnets. This most recent episode had Coulson trying to save Lead Girl by teaming up with Unambiguously Evil Person She Hates Most In The World. When Lead Girl sees them working side-by-side at the end of the episode, does she immediately assume the worst? Does she fly off the handle and be all "EVERYBODY BETRAY ME, I FED UP WITH THIS WORLD!?" Nope, she makes the reasonable assumption that it was a necessary evil and is happy to see Coulson. Flash would've milked the poo poo out of that misunderstanding and had them not talk for weeks.

SHIELD is not a perfect show, but for having characters behave reasonably and believably, it runs circles around Flash.

Except literally at the same time 2 of the other characters saw that and had the usual reaction.

And Agent Carter is a terrible example of episode usage because you find out at the end that all but 2 episodes didn't matter in the least.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Spergatory posted:

Flash would've milked the poo poo out of that misunderstanding and had them not talk for weeks.

Uh, Barry acted totally reasonable when Cisco told him that he told Snart who the Flash was. And Caitlin did the same when Cisco told her that he locked Ronnie in the particle accelerator during the explosion.

The ONLY time Barry acted all weird over some dumb thing was when he found out Cisco made the cold gun.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
The only one who's not acting like an actual human being is Iris, and we already knew that. Also Grodd.

Why isn't Cisco mass producing cold guns to fight RF now that hey know he's right there?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Krad posted:

The only one who's not acting like an actual human being is Iris, and we already knew that. Also Grodd.

Why isn't Cisco mass producing cold guns to fight RF now that hey know he's right there?

Good question, but I guess Well's would probably notice. Sure, he never knew that Cisco made the first gun but let's go with he is a lot more careful after that and is especially edgy at the moment

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
And if Wells knows that Cisco knows....:rip:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Sober posted:

Hate to break it to you but Agent Carter was not a good example of a case of the week show, much less a good one.

Why are you so wrong?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
The "REAL SHIELD" plotline in SHIELD is so bad it legit makes me cringe. I like SHIELD a lot but the current REAL SHIELD stuff makes me not very eager to watch it, it's that bad.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Why are you so wrong?

Well he has a point in that it wasn't a case of the week show. It was one big case spread over 8 weeks. It was good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Flesh Forge posted:

The "REAL SHIELD" plotline in SHIELD is so bad it legit makes me cringe. I like SHIELD a lot but the current REAL SHIELD stuff makes me not very eager to watch it, it's that bad.

You get the sense that these past few episodes of SHIELD and Flash are just padding out the episode count before an explosive final run in where "everything changes forever".

• Locked thread