Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Thermos H Christ posted:

Hint: Bear Bryant, Jr. was directly involved

And literally the entire board of trustees has had an executive position on the bank he owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Neil Armbong posted:

It's Alabama fans not being able to cope with any kind of competition in the university system.

What about Auburn? These fans apparently feel threatened by UAB but don't do anything about the in-state team that actually poses meaningful competition to Bama? I mean, I believe you, it's just weird.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Spiritus Nox posted:

What about Auburn? These fans apparently feel threatened by UAB but don't do anything about the in-state team that actually poses meaningful competition to Bama? I mean, I believe you, it's just weird.

I don't believe Auburn is part of the University of Alabama system, so different board of trustees.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Neil Armbong posted:

I don't believe Auburn is part of the University of Alabama system, so different board of trustees.

Oh duh, that makes sense.

Man, rich white fucks are the worst.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
The great thing is that unlike UAB football, Auburn's athletic department absolutely hemorrhages money

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/02/auburn_athletics_department_re_3.html

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Spiritus Nox posted:

You know you go to a school that specializes in recruiting larval stage rich white fucks and turning them into grown up, adult stage rich white fucks, right?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Spiritus Nox posted:

this comes down to some rich gently caress on the board of trustees at UAB wanting Bama to be the only game in the state or something?

Ding ding ding

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, speaking as a guy who still doesn't know football history terribly well and just read through the first moderately meaty article google gave me in response to "Bear Bryant Jr UAB": you're saying this comes down to some rich gently caress on the board of trustees at UAB wanting Bama to be the only game in the state or something?

Not only that, Bear Bryant Jr. also had a personal grudge against UAB after one of their basketball coaches dared to speak ill of his father's recruiting tactics. It took Little Bear 20 years but by god he killed UAB football.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-08-04/sports/sp-20220_1_sam-gilbert

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Spiritus Nox posted:

Oh duh, that makes sense.

You, uh, go to a private, Baptist college.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Neil Armbong posted:

You, uh, go to a private, Baptist college.

even his anime avatar is white

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Thoguh posted:

You know you go to a school that specializes in recruiting larval stage rich white fucks and turning them into grown up, adult stage rich white fucks, right?

Psh, like this doesn't apply to most colleges in the country.

Raku posted:

even his anime avatar is white

Twinsies? I forget, does Iron Mask ever take that thing off so we can check?

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 23, 2015

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Raku posted:

The great thing is that unlike UAB football, Auburn's athletic department absolutely hemorrhages money

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/02/auburn_athletics_department_re_3.html

Coke-white recruiting limos ain't cheap.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Spiritus Nox posted:

Psh, like this doesn't apply to most colleges in the country.

Twinsies? I forget, does Iron Mask ever take that thing off so we can check?

Iron Mask's kid is white as hell, but so is his ex-wife that cucked him so who knows if it's even his.

Anyway he's not even part of the patriarchy unless you count flying flamethrower buzzsaws as anything but progressive somehow so back off

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Raku posted:

Iron Mask's kid is white as hell, but so is his ex-wife that cucked him so who knows if it's even his.

Anyway he's not even part of the patriarchy unless you count flying flamethrower buzzsaws as anything but progressive somehow so back off

Yeah well my av is a transient basically pacifistic hippy doctor/detective/exorcist sort of chap so clearly I have The Most Progressive Anime Avatar.

So there. :colbert:

Edit: VVVVV - YOU BROUGHT THIS ON YOURSELF.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 23, 2015

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
Barbecue derail???

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Raku posted:

Barbecue derail???

I used to have an anime avatar, then I had to grow up and get a car one covered in semen. I feel like this current one while relevant is mostly tame by comparison.

I have no new BBQ updates from Austin other than to say that Mickelthwait is now popular enough to be basically sold out by early afternoon instead of dinner time so get there early.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I used to have an anime avatar, then I had to grow up and get a car one covered in semen. I feel like this current one while relevant is mostly tame by comparison.

I have no new BBQ updates from Austin other than to say that Mickelthwait is now popular enough to be basically sold out by early afternoon instead of dinner time so get there early.

drat. Little baby BBQ is all grown up now.

Seems like we need another couple of new places to open up. Still been meaning to go to Terry Black's. That'll happen, considering a close friend just moved into an apartment a few blocks away from there. He's paying more, per month, than I pay for my house, but, eh, downtown...

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

kayakyakr posted:

drat. Little baby BBQ is all grown up now.

Seems like we need another couple of new places to open up. Still been meaning to go to Terry Black's. That'll happen, considering a close friend just moved into an apartment a few blocks away from there. He's paying more, per month, than I pay for my house, but, eh, downtown...

Austin property prices and rent are skyrocketing, I'm into my lease with my fiance until April next year and I'm almost afraid that by then buying a house will be almost too much, but renting will be pointless.

I keep meaning to try Ed's BBQ at the top of Harvey & MLK just because it's walking distance from my house. I doubt it's great, but that convenience.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, speaking as a guy who still doesn't know football history terribly well and just read through the first moderately meaty article google gave me in response to "Bear Bryant Jr UAB": you're saying this comes down to some rich gently caress on the board of trustees at UAB wanting Bama to be the only game in the state or something?

If true: Rich White Fucks continue to be the worst.

It's this one, and if it's any consolation, everyone other than that set of rich fucks thinks that it's terrible.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Austin property prices and rent are skyrocketing, I'm into my lease with my fiance until April next year and I'm almost afraid that by then buying a house will be almost too much, but renting will be pointless.

I keep meaning to try Ed's BBQ at the top of Harvey & MLK just because it's walking distance from my house. I doubt it's great, but that convenience.

I just bought a place and my mortgage is less than my current rent. Still good deals to be had, it just takes time because its so competitive.

I still need to try Mickelthwaits.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Sounds like the Austin goons need to have a BBQ meet up. Unless we aren't into that because internet vs irl

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Neil Armbong posted:

I just bought a place and my mortgage is less than my current rent. Still good deals to be had, it just takes time because its so competitive.

I still need to try Mickelthwaits.

It kills me that rent is more than a mortgage, but rent is so high it's impossible to save enough at a high enough rate for the down payment.

Basically my only hope at this point is that I inherent it from the family's fracking money

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Sash! posted:

It kills me that rent is more than a mortgage, but rent is so high it's impossible to save enough at a high enough rate for the down payment.

Basically my only hope at this point is that I inherent it from the family's fracking money

Yep. Got lucky with the in-laws helping out big time with the down payment.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Cardale Jones: still awesome

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

ulmont posted:

According to the article, the proposed Louisiana state budget would cut LSU's funding by 82%, which is a bit more than 3%.

That's consistent with other reports, which show the proposed budget being a 30% cut *if* supplemental funding is approved, or 82% otherwise.
http://www.nola.com/education/index.ssf/2015/03/lsu_budget_president_alexander.html

The supplemental funding is a forgone conclusion; the closest appropriate figure would be ~28% defund across ALL LSU systems, which the main campus in Baton Rouge would not bear the brunt of.

The larger issue at play is that Louisiana has as many public universities as the state of Florida, but with like 1/3 the population. Including private universities, it's kind of silly that there are around 15 or so campuses in Louisiana that offer 4-year degrees, especially given that some of them are woeful underperformers.

IBID: A portion of that proposed defunding has been known about for a long time now & LSU has already done a fair amount of restructuring to accommodate that. The whole "82%" is a shot across the bow of the state legislature to pull their heads out of their collective assess & keep the wish-fulfillment of the Tea Party confined to private role-playing jerk-off fests instead of in the chambers of the state body where there's actually an impact to gutting taxes across the board then applying cutbacks in funding to education & healthcare. Truly, Wisconsin 2.0.

C2C - 2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 24, 2015

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My buddy's six year old son is on a spring flag football team and earlier tonight, Cardale Jones was driving by the church where they practice and decided to stop and meet the kids and take pictures.

Cardale Jones is a rad dude.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

sportsgenius86 posted:

My buddy's six year old son is on a spring flag football team and earlier tonight, Cardale Jones was driving by the church where they practice and decided to stop and meet the kids and take pictures.

Unfortunately, not even Jesus himself on the OSU roster could soothe the general public's dislike of the Buckeyes.

gently caress Ohio State.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Unfortunately, not even Jesus himself on the OSU roster could soothe the general public's dislike of the Buckeyes.

gently caress Ohio State.

Kiss the ring bitch.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Rad Valtar posted:

Kiss the ring bitch.

Oh, trust me, it doesn't have anything to do with your success.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Ahaha that is great.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Rad Valtar posted:

Kiss the ring bitch.

If Ohio was awesome, you assholes would stop infecting the rest of the country.

Keep your rings--I never have to tell anyone 'I'm from Ohio.'

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

LeeMajors posted:

If Ohio was awesome, you assholes would stop infecting the rest of the country.

Keep your rings--I never have to tell anyone 'I'm from Ohio.'

I don't live there and don't care about the state.

Also it was a joke on a comedy forum. I forgot about your weird obsession with posting about your hated of people who want to live in your lovely state.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

sportsgenius86 posted:

In a year, everyone will hate him.

Happens to them all.

The only question now is what crime he will commit to get there.

My guess is...dog rape. Only something that unusual will shock us jaded monsters.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Sash! posted:

In a year, everyone will hate him.

Happens to them all.

The only question now is what crime he will commit to get there.

My guess is...dog rape. Only something that unusual will shock us jaded monsters.

He'll lead Ohio State to back to back national championships. I'm sure the hate will flow then.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Steve Patterson is alienating Texas fans and creating a culture of secrecy Kim Jong Un could only marvel at? Color me loving shocked. It's not like he hasn't pulled the same song and dance at literally every place he's ever been at, and people continue to hire him anyway and be surprised at what results. Couldn't have happened to a nicer school, too.

Korranus posted:

UT hired a professional sports GM and went public with the expectation said GM would run the Longhorns like a professional franchise; why do UT fans expect another outcome than "UT is even more like pro sports"?

This is also important. Marketing is intangible bullshit, but what works in pro sports doesn't work in college sports.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

korrandark posted:

He'll lead Ohio State to back to back national championships. I'm sure the hate will flow then.

I'm alright with this so long as he only plays in the last game. Send him to the pros with still no gametape and see what happens.

(Browns will happen)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Raku posted:

I'm alright with this so long as he only plays in the last game. Send him to the pros with still no gametape and see what happens.

(Browns will happen)

It was scary how many Browns fans were talking about drafting him if he declared. Or talked about tanking for him :psyduck:

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Grittybeard posted:

It was scary how many Browns fans were talking about drafting him if he declared. Or talked about tanking for him :psyduck:

better prospect than mariotta at least?

I mean he's straight up the black Roethlisburger except we haven't found out what's wrong with him yet

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Cardale really, REALLY should've gone pro last year. Not even for LOLBROWNS purposes, but because I don't think his draft stock would ever be higher. The way the predraft process has gone, he'd be a top-3 pick easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Rad Valtar posted:

I don't live there and don't care about the state.

Also it was a joke on a comedy forum. I forgot about your weird obsession with posting about your hated of people who want to live in your lovely state.

Rad Valtar posted:

Also it was a joke on a comedy forum.

Rad Valtar posted:

joke on a comedy forum.

TFF: Hyperbole Unwelcome.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 24, 2015

• Locked thread