Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Carnalfex posted:

They are wisps that cost more, don't have phase, and don't have static shield. Being at 1/3 hp in every fight means they don't pull much weight for their army slot, either. I will say that they are good at baiting the bloodthirsty AI into trading units for them. They have some potential later with the ability to get the lifestealing empire upgrade and using the despair combo if you've kept one fighting for medals, but that means you are in the midgame with reanimators in the field already. They do become more useful in large siege battles since having a bunch of them helps to buy time for early losses to get back up, and anything that can go over walls early is a big deal. Can't really afford to spam them that early though.
Big thing about necros is that if you really, really have to leverage their gimmicks to make them work, but if you do then drat do they work. Making sure to heal a unit and raise a cadaver in my hero stack and sacrificing cadavers and (if I'm lucky enough to start with it researched) lost souls to save my other units getting hit means I tend to graduate from the immediate city-clearing stage way better off than I will with other classes... if I'm manualing all the fights. If I'm autoing them the AI doesn't seem to prioritise healing/cadaver raising/unit saccing as much as I do, so I come out of them with a lot more hurt units and a lot fewer cadavers. The same is true of autoing with other classes, but the magnitude of the difference seems much bigger with Necros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It just boggles my mind that out of all the crazy cool poo poo Tigrans get, their worst loving unit is the one that gets fixated on.

Yeah, it has a Sun Shield to make up for its loving 7 base resist.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
How well does the AI handle Continents? In Civ 5, playing on multiple landmasses was like a blanket nerf to the AI because they just couldn't fight across oceans well at all. How is it in this game?

For a medium sized land map with an underground, how many players is optimal for a good game? 4 is what the game defaults to, but that's also without an underground.

Any cool fun map settings to try?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Sun Guard mk 2 :3:

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
I just don't read the Aow 3 forums any more. They make me far too annoyed and I get enough of that from other places.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

Sun Guard mk 2 :3:

All is right with the world.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
Is there any forum other than this thread for strategy posting? The official forums strategy section seems like a ghost town.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Periodiko posted:

How well does the AI handle Continents? In Civ 5, playing on multiple landmasses was like a blanket nerf to the AI because they just couldn't fight across oceans well at all. How is it in this game?

For a medium sized land map with an underground, how many players is optimal for a good game? 4 is what the game defaults to, but that's also without an underground.

Any cool fun map settings to try?

The AI handles continents fine, in my experience. I've had multiple experiences thinking my capital safe, only for it to be sniped by overseas invaders.

The underground doesn't really expand the map much. It'll be maybe a third of the size of the overworld map, and it'll have far fewer good city spots. I like to add a player or two to whatever's recommended regardless.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Malachamavet posted:

Is there any forum other than this thread for strategy posting? The official forums strategy section seems like a ghost town.

Well the official forums appear to think Sun Guards are op, but don't notice that Goblins are continually buffed into superiority(as they should be, you're doing god's work Gerb)
So i can imagine it's a ghost town.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Malachamavet posted:

I have looked around, and we're seriously as good as it gets. The official forums are crazytown, and the steam forums aren't much better. If any other notable English communities exist I haven't found them.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Cleaning up the OP, putting the joke stuff (including our newest addition) into my third post, I'm reminded of this gem:

Were are my Dire Penguin mounts, Gerblyn? Where are they?!

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
I have a new favourite way of cursing my enemies. That way is by throwing chickens at them. Whoever made inflict * skills affect every attack was a genius.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Theswarms posted:

I have a new favourite way of cursing my enemies. That way is by throwing chickens at them. Whoever made inflict * skills affect every attack was a genius.
I posted it earlier, but by the end of one game I had a chicken that inflicted enfeebling fever and bleeding.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Splicer posted:

I posted it earlier, but by the end of one game I had a chicken that inflicted enfeebling fever and bleeding.

'throw rabid chicken'?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Malachamavet posted:

Post good strategies in the offical forums and see what the official forums have to say about them

Challenge them to 1v1 live MP duels

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

'throw rabid chicken'?

Inflict Chicken Pox.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

ninjewtsu posted:

Post good strategies in the offical forums and see what the official forums have to say about them

Challenge them to 1v1 live MP duels

Would totally be down for a goon v. community challenge tournament.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I would too. This sounds cool and fun

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
One of them will mass Sunguards, another will only make armies with a perfect split of Elven Swordsmen and Longbows, another will be sitting in his throne trying go for a unity beacon on one city.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
Sunguards with Longbows behind them.

Literally Impossible To Defeat.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Malachamavet posted:

Sunguards with Longbows behind them.

Literally Impossible To Defeat.

Don't worry the Elf player would never allow his master race to mix that closely with mud beings.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Official forums players sound comically bad I kind of really want to challenge one to a game or two just to see what dumb poo poo they get up to

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Let's make a thread.

"Age of Goonders: Eternal Spergs"

"Elves Suck, Goblins Rule. Wanna Fight About It?"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I am all for this

In fact I might make the thread tonight

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Y'all forgetting to not touch the poop?! :arghfist::mad:

However a goon 1v1 tournament should totally be A Thing. PBEM for ease of play when the beta patch goes live maybe?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gerblyn why does seek inspiration take up one of the 3 starting spells you get researched before the game begins

and why would it take the place of mana fuel cells instead of suppress nature :arghfist::mad:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

Official forums players sound comically bad I kind of really want to challenge one to a game or two just to see what dumb poo poo they get up to

Turtles all the way down

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ok but are they turtling with massed sun guards and shredders

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ninjewtsu posted:

My favorite post is the one where a guy says that rogues can't do anything about machines until shadow stalkers

Well, I'm not sure either, at least in a 1-on-1 fight. Mind you, going toe-to-toe with an enemy isn't exactly optimal Rogue strategy if you ask me.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm actually really confused now. Are sun guards any good? because I have this pillar of stylites..

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm actually really confused now. Are sun guards any good? because I have this pillar of stylites..

They're kind of rear end but they fulfill a valuable function for early game Tigran. They buy time for units that can actually do damage to do damage, instead of getting bogged down in a melee and killed.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Well, I'm not sure either, at least in a 1-on-1 fight. Mind you, going toe-to-toe with an enemy isn't exactly optimal Rogue strategy if you ask me.

Scoundrels get sabotage.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ninjewtsu posted:

Scoundrels get sabotage.

...they do? gently caress, I've been using them as slightly bargain-basement archers :downs: I rarely play against dreadnaughts too (sorry, but I've got an irrational love for those dudes), so I guess there's another reason.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Mostly the joke is people freaking out about the unstoppable defensive power of Tigran Sun Shields, with their mighty...uh...12 Defense and 9 Res with Shield up. And 8 Attack. And 10 Def/7 Res if flanked, unbreakable Titans that they are.

As opposed to like Elf Swordsmen with 13 Defense and 9 Res or Dwarf Deepguard with their oh so crappy 13 Damage (Military 2) 11 Def and 9 Res, no shield needed.

It's a unit with no damage whatsoever that's also not really even appreciably tougher than a bunch of existing T1 units that forum noobs freak out about because they're idiots.

For Tigrans, they're now modestly useful purely for Guard Break and as a unit that can kinda almost take a hit once in a while but otherwise pretty crap. And somehow still OP because gently caress if I know.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

madmac posted:

Mostly the joke is people freaking out about the unstoppable defensive power of Tigran Sun Shields, with their mighty...uh...12 Defense and 9 Res with Shield up. And 8 Attack. And 10 Def/7 Res if flanked, unbreakable Titans that they are.

As opposed to like Elf Swordsmen with 13 Defense and 9 Res or Dwarf Deepguard with their oh so crappy 13 Damage (Military 2) 11 Def and 9 Res, no shield needed.

It's a unit with no damage whatsoever that's also not really even appreciably tougher than a bunch of existing T1 units that forum noobs freak out about because they're idiots.

For Tigrans, they're now modestly useful purely for Guard Break and as a unit that can kinda almost take a hit once in a while but otherwise pretty crap. And somehow still OP because gently caress if I know.

So what happens if you spill these numbers at the official forumites

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I just want to point out that this is also a unit being compared unfavorably to random scrub infantry like Elf Swords.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Afew pages ago people were complaining about how overpowered guarding was, a cheap disposable unit that can go on a mission to distract a T4 or god tier unit while the rest of your army flanks it to death is pretty good, with defensive strike it might even get to do that same trick twice.

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

They explode in a cloud of rage and stupidity.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

We're talking Oceans of denial, here. Like literally putting hands over ears and shouting "la la la CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

quote:

I just want to point out that this is also a unit being compared unfavorably to random scrub infantry like Elf Swords.

More than that, what cracks me up is pretty much every other Pike unit is hilariously powerful now. We got Flying Charge Pikemen with Regrowth in one corner, and two flavors of T2 Pikes with Life Stealing over there, and Dwarf Pikes that are just a giant pile of stats and even Elf Pikes with Shock Damage and Orc Pikes who pop Warcry and hit for 16x3, but no the defensive Pike with terrible stats is somehow the biggest offender.

quote:

A few pages ago people were complaining about how overpowered guarding was, a cheap disposable unit that can go on a mission to distract a T4 or god tier unit while the rest of your army flanks it to death is pretty good, with defensive strike it might even get to do that same trick twice. \

Guard Break is pretty useful and all and definitely a reason to actually consider building Sun Guard once in a while but there's dozens of ways you can accomplish the same thing, especially if you Play Orc Warlord and oh hey Guard Break on Cav, Shock Troopers and Manticores. That's cool I guess.

Or nets, or Entangle, or Golems, or a bajillion other things.

madmac fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

But do they try to argue back

• Locked thread