Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
drat, those are some sweet optional boss fight rewards. 33% more turns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
So, before we go and deal with everyone's favourite optional boss we have one last little thing to do. You might recall that we now have all the Karma Rings...

We should go talk to this guy about that. Mostly because it turns out we do not, in fact, have all the Karma Rings.

Oh no, no, no... Those are all ancient. Take this one.

NOW we have all the Karma Rings. To get this one, you need all the ones that are available normally; the DDS1 import data stuff doesn't count towards it.

I'm sure you'll prove to the world how great my creation is. I have no more regrets, thanks to you.

So, what does this big, final ring do?

It's just Null Attack from the first game. This is actually super good and cool, so we'll never use it of course (the only fight left where it would matter is against Satan, but...). This is the only way to get Null Attack in this case, since it's not on the Mantra Grid this time around.

Which is, well, fair enough because giving it to everyone would be boring.

So, because I decided that fighting actual enemies to grind data drops would be boring I instead abused Johnny to grind data. This meant I had to sell a lot of crap to him to keep funds going, and in doing so I ended up hitting the highest amount of points needed.

This is the only place to get a Gospel aside from Michael's drop. If you miss it there, and really want one then you're stuck getting it here. I just grabbed the Soma though, because its more useful.

Oh, and Star Sapphires are ridiculously unfair and can randomly give even higher than you would expect. I think +8 is possible too, but don't quote me on that one.

Epic Battle ~ Prelude

Okay, that's all the stuff we can do, uh, done. Let's see what Satan himself has in store for us.

I see you have chosen to retaliate, just as that man did... then prepare, Seraph, to receive God's eternal punishment of damnation!

Hunting ~ Betrayal
Yeah, I know, I'm kinda disappointed as well.

But, before we actually deal with the fight proper:

God's Breath

Every fourth turn, he does this. God's Breath is a nasty, nasty Almighty attack that does all of one thing.

It hits everyone for an undodgable, unreducable 9,999 damage. And it costs 0MP to use, so the same trick won't work twice.

In fact, take that as a given for all of his attacks. Not one of them costs anything to use.

Much like with Demi-Fiend, there is a way around this attack that we need to utilise. Unlike with Demi-Fiend, Satan does not give one gently caress what skills you have equipped coming into this fight. Got Repel Element?

Well, you're a dirty cheater, because it's not available normally. It is accessible by pulling it out of the code though... albeit called, uh, "Full Speculate" for some reason. He still won't care. Instead, we have to get him to not want to use it and instead focus on doing something else.

End

Incidentally, the reason he gives no shits about your skills is what makes the Master Ring completely useless here. Don't bother with it.

Ultimate Boss: Fiend Satan

So, Satan gets the first turn and he uses all five of his press turns to pull off this move. Futility is always his opening spell and its the only time he uses it as well.

All this does is negate every single resistance you have from passive skills and rings. It's kind of nasty as a result, but that's all it needs to do. It doesn't effect Null Sleep or Null Critical (...sounds familiar), but it doesn't need to either. Those skills are completely useless here.

Incidentally, since you're stuck running with your own natural resistances, you might think that Cielo is borderline mandatory for this guy.

Ahahahaha. Nope. In the real fight, Cielo is benched. He got to fight the Demi-Fiend with Argilla. This fight goes to Gale and Heat.

Oh, yeah, speaking of Satan's skills he has nothing but magic. He doesn't even have a basic physical attack. He casts all five ST dynes completely at random.

He also throws out Vanity fairly often. That's a pretty big reason to not use Cielo, since he will sometimes even do it twice in a row just to spite you.

He also quite likes Mahamaon, which is why every guide ever recommends having someone turn human in this fight.

For the record, following said guides will make this fight take upwards of 1 hour. So, uh, don't do that either.

The one bit of advice that I will mostly agree with is keeping up Void Deaths (or Repel Deaths, because you can actually do that) when you can. Don't cast it every single turn, because he doesn't Mamudoon that often but it can gently caress you if he does it at the wrong time.

I'd actually recommend Tetraja (both Void Death and Void Expel rolled into one) if it wasn't, also, unavailable in normal circumstances. It's in the games code but not usable normally.

And, of course, he can Megidolaon whenever he likes to as well. Its both the best and most annoying thing he can do, since it'll never hit a weakness and you're more likelt to dodge. But it hits harder than the Dynes and hits everyone for good measure.

He can also Debilitate on a whim. He can do this several times in a row, at that. If he does it multiple times at the wrong turn, he's just saying you lose and there's nothing you can do about it.

Incidentally, you can Debilitate him to -2 without issue. -3 just means there's a chance, a high one but not a guarantee, of him Dekundaing. He might leave it for a while, but he'll always leave it at -2.

Oh, and if he gets extra turns he uses them to cast random -kajas. Maka is the only one that matters; Taru is a freebie. He also likes Maka the last and Taru the most.

So gimmick wise, he hits really loving hard. Like, upwards of 300 on a neutral element before buffs and debuffs are in play; easy 500+ on a weakness and you will have one. But that's a non-issue aside from the 5 actions thing.

Unlike most bosses, he will gladly let you get to +3 buffed without getting pissy.

Because it's mandatory. You need to get at least one person to +3 in all four stats by every fourth turn. This makes him Dekaja instead of God's Breath. So, you need to use Charge because stacking the normal buffs will not help.

Incidentally, this is technically the hardest on the first cycle because his opening Futility counts towards that four turn timer. In practice, this is no harder nor easier than any other time.

Also he's a barrier change boss. Like Shiva, he switches what he can be hit with based on the turn you're on. Unlike Shiva, this doesn't let you break him quite as hard.

...Mostly. You'll see.

Also also, he's resistant to Almighty so don't bother with that.

For the most part, you might be thinking then that hitting him with the most powerful spells whe he's vulnerable will be efficient. It isn't.

Titanomachia here is one of five special spells; it deals Mega tier damage against every enemy. Titanomachia is Earth elemental, despite being a phys skill in basically every other game it has been in.

It'll hit for, presuming +4 Makakaja and -2 (or -3) Rakakuja AND a Mind Charge... about 900-1000 damage. Satan has 30,000HP. Keep that number in mind.

Don't use spells. Guides recommend Titanomachia and guns. Guides are wrong.

Phys skills are, by a loving mile and a half, THE way to go here. Under the same circumstances as maxing out your best spells, you will deal ~1160-1200 on average with a Mega phys attack. More if it crits, like this. Executioner is the best option since, yes Godslayer will crit more. It will also miss more.

Also bring Divine Light because it will embarass this guy hardcore.

He is vulnerable to Phys skills for three out of four turns per cycle. If you think of Dekaja/God's Breath as the last turn, he only repels Phys after his first turn in the cycle. This is only hard to keep track of at first.

After he gets to sub-15,000 Satan finally changes things up a bit. He drops all the dynes and replaces them with the mid-tier randoms.

I hope you're good at keeping count of his HP (use a calculator, dummy) because unless his first turn after he enters sub-15,000 is the Dekaja one you MUST have Void Charm/Ailment up.

Because of Temptation. Temptation is another of Satan's unique moves that will screw you over hardcore. He will only use it on his first turn of the cycle, so it's a good tracker for where he is.

The exception being the moment he drops below half health, as mentioned above.

What makes Temptation so nasty is that it is an Almighty elemental spell (of course). All it does is inflict Charm.

It does so with a 100% success rate. If you do not have Void Charm, or Void Ailments, you are hosed.

This is the only change for the second half, but there's another change when he hits sub-7500.

He drops the random elemental spells, and picks up the MT Dynes. This is when Satan takes off the gloves for real and will just try and kill you.

And by "try and kill you," I mean "will definitely kill you."

Because every turn now has a unique spell at its start. Temptation-Retribution-Retribution-God's Breath (Dekaja). This makes the fight super frantic, and super unfun.

Retribution is irritating in how unfair and boring it is:

It hits a single character, whoever has the lowest magic apparently, with an unblockable, undodgable spell.

Satan points his finger.

Gale has died!

Incidentally, you can use basically every Void/Drain/Repel shield spell and he will not give a poo poo.

Except this one.

Magic Repel is the only thing you can do in this fight to piss Satan off. If you do it, he just spams Retribution.

So, you might be thinking from all this that Satan is a long, hard fight that would take forever to do normally. Kind of. The recommended strategy drags the fight out for far too long, and is just boring to do and watch.

He's never actually hard. Just varying degrees of tedious. :v:

My preferred method, really, is to just carve through his health with Power Charged Executioner until he hits ~10,000 (or as close to 7,500 as I can get without going under) and then making sure everyone is fully healed and Power Charged. Once I get a turn when I can hit him at this point, pop the Impel Stone immediately - just in case.

And then just let the Divine Light shine. 1-2 hits, each one dealing ~1200 amounting to 2400 if it hits twice. Closer to 5,000 if it double hits and crits. Doing the Impel Stone first gives turns to then charge and attack again if necessary (maybe not many but that does depend on number of crits etc.)

This lets you just skip the third phase wholesale and stops the fight becoming tedious and poo poo.

Incidentally, I would like you to remember those numbers. 5,000 damage from a double-hitting crit off a Divine Light. Satan has 30,0000HP. I wonder...

Satan gives oddly shite AP for an ultimate boss. A ton of money though. Yes, that is $1.5 million.

Oh, and as an aside, apparently he casts Diarahan or something similar if he gets a turn when he has sub 5% health left (under 1,500). Wouldn't know personally, though.

End

Seraph heard the faint words of Satan's Solar Data.

Where will you go...?

Hey, Schroedinger. What's up.

Though the God that spirit praised is different from the God of this world... The ultimate answer lies within you. Now go, Seraph...

So, that's that. That $1.5mill and the Soma? Those are the rewards for fighting Satan. No new super cool items, no secret mantras. Nothing.

I'd feel ripped off, if there was any point to getting anything new anyway. The only boss left to fight is the last one, and MAYBE Meganada if you hadn't yet.

But whatever. Want to see something cool?

How To Kill Satan in 3 Turns

And by three, I mean one. Because the first two are setup. :v:

So, that's that then. Next time, we reload to immediately after Meganada and fight the final boss. I wonder who it could be! :iiam:

Well, not really because it's obvious and also Shiva dropped an untagged spoiler.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
That three turn kill, holy heck.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

curiousCat posted:

That three turn kill, holy heck.

Yeah that dude is a fuckin' hero.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I wonder how many attempts that took, since it had to manipulate so many misses and crits on top of getting 2 hits on every Divine Light.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

So it is a puzzle and luck based boss fight. Yeesh, not much better than the Demifiend after all.

That 3 turn kill is glorious though. If it weren't for the pattern change when Satan gets low enough, I would have thought it is the intended way to beat it.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

If you click through you find the original video's been deleted...because it's been replaced with a 2-turn kill. The description says it took 328 tries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z25gEdBJ60

Not sure what the exact method is, the quality's still bad enough to make the text hard to read but someone can probably figure it out from the animations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

GimmickMan posted:

So it is a puzzle and luck based boss fight. Yeesh, not much better than the Demifiend after all.

At least the Demi-Fiend had the common goddamn courtesy to just gank you instantly instead of having you slog through over half the fight before he randomly decides to murder you.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Polsy posted:

If you click through you find the original video's been deleted...because it's been replaced with a 2-turn kill. The description says it took 328 tries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z25gEdBJ60

Not sure what the exact method is, the quality's still bad enough to make the text hard to read but someone can probably figure it out from the animations.

Suddenly, I feel very inadequate. And yet relieved I never considered this being even possible. :v:

Also:

Turn 1 = Ragnarok - Ragnarok - Chaturbhuja - Power Charge - Power Charge - Power Charge - Charge
Turn 2 = Divine Light - Divine Light - Divine Light - Impel Stone - Power Charge - Power Charge - Power Charge - Salvation - Divine Light - Divine Light - Divine Light

Naturally, every hit is a critical and every Divine Light is a double-hitting critical. Chaturbhuja only hits once here which is weird, but is all it needs. More hits wouldn't make a difference.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if people are still trying to find a way to take down this boss in one turn.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I recall you said something about not maximizing your Magic stat, why was that?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Petiso posted:

I recall you said something about not maximizing your Magic stat, why was that?

So Seraph's stats are whichever is higher of Serph's and Sera's when they combine, and Sera will put most of her level-ups into Magic so there's no point in putting too much effort into Serph's Magic.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Feinne posted:

So Seraph's stats are whichever is higher of Serph's and Sera's when they combine, and Sera will put most of her level-ups into Magic so there's no point in putting too much effort into Serph's Magic.

Actually, the reason is because Retribution selects its target randomly from the list of people on the field with the lowest Magic. So, you can pick who it kills.

But, if everyone has 99 Magic...

So, as we've seen, Satan is less boring than Demi-Fiend. He can actually be killed in a reasonable amount of time and there are methods to mostly erase the bad part that is Retribution.

Though Retribution is fun to see the first time, just because it's a callback to SMT2.

Tattoos really are never cool.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 22, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

Actually, the reason is because Retribution selects its target randomly from the list of people on the field with the lowest Magic. So, you can pick who it kills.

But, if everyone has 99 Magic...

So, as we've seen, Satan is less boring than Demi-Fiend. He can actually be killed in a reasonable amount of time and there are methods to mostly erase the bad part that is Retribution.

Though Retribution is fun to see the first time, just because it's a callback to SMT2.

Tattoos really are never cool.

Oh yeah right that part, if you max everyone's magic it's just random and you lose. Misunderstood the question.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Yeah, you lose because at that point he can decide to kill the guy you're putting all your Charges on.

In practice it will never be a problem unless you're insane, however.

In short, nothing Satan does is as stupid as Dormina -> Gaea Rage, which is why he's the better boss.

PS Feinne you never read your PMs!

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

Yeah, you lose because at that point he can decide to kill the guy you're putting all your Charges on.

In practice it will never be a problem unless you're insane, however.

In short, nothing Satan does is as stupid as Dormina -> Gaea Rage, which is why he's the better boss.

PS Feinne you never read your PMs!

Somehow I didn't notice it, because I am bad and feel bad. March was kind of a weird month.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 22, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So have we unlocked the secret form of the final boss by beating all the optional bosses?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Glazius posted:

So have we unlocked the secret form of the final boss by beating all the optional bosses?

This is as far as I've ever gotten on DDS2, so I am now totally in the dark and legit interested to see what happens.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

...So, Polsy found this sweet video of that guy from the end of the previous update doing something even cooler:

How To Defeat Satan in TWO Turns

I suddenly feel inadequate and like everything I have done in the past 43 updates was not impressive enough...

Oh well!

Now, where were we?

Nirvana

So we'll go back in time to just after fighting Meganada now. From there, we'll head back into his chamber and take the elevator up. That brings us to... a giant lotus, and I believe I also see a familiar friend.

holy poo poo

they got schroedingers name right in a dialogue box

...The solar data will simply recycle them endlessly, for all eternity. Does that make you sad, Seraph?
Yes.
There's nothing we can do. They must discover it for themselves.
I... don't know.
All we can do is pray, hoping that one day they will be released from their shackles.

So, we can still turn back and leave kinda. The point of no return here, overall, is more generous than ever being "when you literally start the final boss."

So, we'll just use that lotus to ascend ever higher and do just that.

Meeting God
yeah, so totally should just watch this instead. it's the first half of the update. second half is a different video for length reasons.

Silence

So, you might be wondering just what God looks like here.

Turns out that God is a giant pulsating brain. In space. Sure, why not.

Yeah, uh, I'm not sure the brain-god necessarily understands.

Entreaty

But, they do their best!

Oh, the brain-thing is just a cocoon. Kind of. God is a bit weird, naturally.

And from the centre comes a pseudo-pocket dimension.

It's really more just a giant cloak of solar data, but it warps the space around it.

Silence

And from it, God's true form emerges.

A giant, metallic almost-space-opera-battleship like thing with five faces.

And from each face, a... terminal from Nocturne... is just sitting there. I think I know how Demi-Fiend got here now.

I'll give God one thing about all this. Despite how odd and silly this scene kind of is, at least he cuts straight to the point.

Just waltz up, and he's all "yo, final boss time let's do this."

:siren: Divine Entity ~ Brahman :siren:
hey this is good and cool and awesome click it you won't regret it

Final Boss: God Brahman

So, hey, our final boss is Brahman. Of course it is. The highest god in all of Hinduism, and he who exists beyond the world as we know it.

Here... he's kind of a colossal chump. Because obviously, right? Pay no attention to that "One" in his name tag. It means nothing (right now).

So, Brahman has a very, very low pool of possible moves he can use. He uses Agidyne and Trisagion in lieu of Maragidyne. Trisagion being the Mega MT Fire spell.

Brahman really doesn't try that hard, so it doesn't hurt much. Also it's Fire elemental and basically all he uses are 2 Fire spells.

So, Fire Drain ad infinitum it is then. He drains Fire and has the usual boss resistances. I think he resists Almighty as well, but it really doesn't matter.

He occasionally casts Hamaon and Xanadu, but the Divine Ring makes that a non-issue if you have it.

After you wipe out all his HP, which takes no time because he has 3500HP, when his turns comes around he switches gears a bit.

Since these phase shifts occur at the start of his turn, if you want to drain his openers you need to cast the drain for the next phase in advance. Since he runs on a strict pattern this is easy to learn and memorise. Disappointing.

Giant, swooping camera pan...

And we get to fight Brahman Two now. As you might have surmised at this point, this is going to be a recurring thing. Brahman Two is the Force equivalent to the first phase. So now he drains Force instead of Fire, mostly uses Force spells etc. so that means we cast Drain Force now instead.

Also Vayaviya is a minor typo. It's supposed to be "Vayavya" (north-west in Sanskrit) in reference to which direction Vayu represents.

He's also the smartest of the first few because he casts Rakunda. I know, I'm shocked too.

Hamaon and Xanadu are dropped here, and replaced by Gate of Hell. And nothing else.

3500HP later, he switches to Brahman Three which is entirely Earth based. Apparently he can cast Mudoon in this form? It doesn't last long enough to get to though.

Since it's relevant now more than ever, in all phases he can use a phys attack called Light. It's not very effective.

It deals, uh, light tier Almighty damage to everyone. He can also cast Megidolaon, so whenever this happens its kind of the middle-ground between a nice breather and minor inconvenience.

Penultimate form is all about the Electric stuff, but it's also when things start to change a bit. This is when he gets semi-serious, kind of, maybe. If you squint.

Now he adds one of his actually important unique skills. Eternal Zero is kind of a super-buff spell, numerically giving him +6 to everything and you -6.

In terms that matter: no matter where your buffs and/or debuffs are this pushes him to maxed and you to crippled.

It's... not really that big of a deal though. Dekaja (Rock) and Dekunda remove it instantly and all. Oddly the Wiki page for Brahman recommends using Dekunda Rocks.

No such item exists. :shrug:

Also he has some lesser ailment spells. No Vanity this time which is a nice change. So sick of seeing that spell at this point.

And last we have Ice.

This phase has more than 3,500HP (about 6,000 or so) and is the most threatening of the bunch.

Which is saying a lot, I know.

He'll quite happily use Eternal Zero here but this time he capitalises on it!

...By spamming Marevert until it hits someone.

Then he casts Revert until that hits as well.

Then he's out of turns because he didn't think this through very well.

This is also the only time he has his real, big unique move.

And it's a minor typo. Brahmastra is one of the greatest weapons ever created and is so powerful that it can destroy multiple dimensions simultaneously. It's so iconic and awesome that after the detonation of the first nuclear warhead in the Manhattan Project, Dr. Oppenheimer implied that Brahmastra was the first nuke ever. And also quoted the most famous line from the Mahabharata ("If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the mighty one. Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.").

Point is Brahmastra is super cool and awesome and should be a game ending event.

So of course it hits for about 150 Almighty damage. Sure it'd hurt if he did it after Eternal Zero, but so would
literally everything else.

Hell, Vayavya and Narukami would technically hurt harder since they'd hit a weakness as well.

End

Also, yes, I feel obliged to point out at last that this fight would be harder if you didn't know the element thing and then abuse the poo poo out of it. It takes no time at all to figure out, though, and he has so little HP that it doesn't make that big of a difference.

Silence

Enlightenment
Seriously just watch this instead. No, do it.

Having been beaten, or shown the power of the human spirit or... something... Brahman just begins to take in a ton of solar data.

A lot of solar data, even. Every single head is sucking some in, and one of them begins to envelop the party...

Everyone was dead already, after all, so they re-enter the cycle of solar data to be born anew another time.

Seraph, however, is left alone once more.

And with it, comes a realisation.

One Word

At the end of a long and arduous journey, Seraph finally achieves true enlightenment.

Hey, Schroedinger. Somehow, I just knew you'd turn up here.

Now explain yourself, cat. What is your deal? Just what are you, really?

So, uh, Schroedinger was a Seraph. Presumably one from another time or another world. One who had already achieved enlightment.

that doesn't answer anything now im even more confused!

The Rising Sun

Oh, and Earth's in desperate need of repair. And all out of protagonists to ease it along.

Well, at least Fred survived. That's a definite good thing.

No, really. I like Fred. He's a'ight.

Also the sun is fixed. Somehow. I guess Brahman just realised not to gently caress with us, because we'll come and kick his arse if he does it.

Success!

The sun...

Yeah, so, wouldn't you know it. The adult named Fred from the opening and the kid named Fred from the main plot were the same person the entire time!

The biggest revelation of all right there.

Hold on! Jenna, lets go!

Yeah, so, everyone important that we cared about got reincarnated as themself but a kid.

Even Angel got to come back with us! For... some reason!

Om Mani Padme Hm -Staffroll Arrange-

...Roland didn't though. No, really, go back and rewatch the opening. No Kid Roland. The universe really had it out for that guy.

Time Capsule
Not on any OST! It's good. I promise!

So, Digital Devil Saga. A kind of confusing game at first, but the more you think about it, the more sense it begins to make. Mostly.

Also easier than I remembered, but remembering things made it easier.

Mentioned it in the OP, and it's been mentioned in-thread a few times but Yu Godai's writing books about the game called Quantum Devil Saga. She sorta has the right to, since it's her plot and all and she never got to finish the game for health reasons.

They are (slowly) being translated in English. Apparently they are good.

Speaking of books, since it never came up in-game (misremembered this bit I guess):

Real world Serph and Heat have full names that are only mentioned in extra materials. Serph Sheffield is a giant dickhead who no one should like.

Heat's apparently Irish, or of Irish descent, because his full name is Heat O'Brien. He's actually the main character of a prequel book - That's Catch 22 - that takes place when he's a student at Yale (and so good he skipped right to the second year!). It's where he meets Serph and Margot Cuvier. Cuvier is a lecturer at Yale because obviously she is.

It's kind of a murder mystery! It contains a dude called Allen Harvey and he is an FBI investigator. I would hope that's not the real world version of the Harvey we knew (albeit briefly), but...

On the whole it sounds cool, but I haven't read it because it's not been translated. I don't think it has anyway.

There's also an intermediary short story called DOGDAYS set immediately after Harley gets his poo poo wrecked at the start of DDS1. It focuses on a baby tribe called, uh, the Casuals. It's also not available in English.

Point is, there's a lot of neat sidestuff that you probably didn't even know existed. Mostly because it isn't available in English. There's an entire spin-off game called A's TEST Server.

Yes, a spin-off of a spin-off. And long before Persona did it too. pretty sure that last bible did it first though

It's a Japan only cellphone game from 2006. I think I can safely presume that it is awful, between that and it starting by Serph waking up with plot convenient amnesia.

So, yeah, DDS1+2. Very good games. If you're still reading this, I recommend you play them for yourself. I can promise that even having read this, you will enjoy it.

You might even find it harder than you're expecting!

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 24, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

What's the one word?

Other then that, thanks for the great LP.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Brilliant, this is finished! Time to go and read the whole thing in one shot.

Thank you so much for doing this LP!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
*finally sees the ending of DDS2*

Hmm, yes. Okay, Digital Devil Saga. Okay.

Mraagvpeine posted:

What's the one word?

Same as the Fifth Element? Seems cheesy enough.

Oh yeah, good work, Dragonatrix. I appreciate the time you put into this.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

What's the one word?

You haven't heard? I thought everyone had heard.

Everybody knows that the bird is the word.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

chiasaur11 posted:

You haven't heard? I thought everyone had heard.

Everybody knows that the bird is the word.

This is canon as far as I'm concerned.

Windmaster Manwe
Oct 30, 2012

Maybe I could show God some jammin' Latin rhythm, ja?

From this, I always assumed that the "one word" was shan-ti, which according to my wikipedia sleuthing roughly means "inner peace."

Idk though, it could just be one of those things that's supposed to be ~mysterious~

Edit: quotes don't work like that

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Great LP, dude. Really had a lot of fun reading it which at the same time is sort of a bummer because I only started reading because I tried to play the game myself and got bored and stopped about a quarter of the way through into the first one, but the plot actually turned out super interesting and I'm kinda kicking myself now for not sticking with it. That DDS2 random battle theme is still to loving die for and I would've played through DDS1 for that alone had I known about it.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Reaching enlightenment also means knowing you can't just hand out the secret word to potentially millions of unenlightened schmucks for free. Go meditate on it yourself.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A cool game with a kinda meh ending, looked like. I was expecting as much. After all that buildup, just punch a surprisingly weak God in the face and get a sorta new-agey generic ending.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Great work, Dragonatrix. DDS is indeed a strange creature, with 99% of the plot happening in the second game and the first game ultimately being a slow introduction to how the world works (and to acquaint you with battle mechanics). That aside, it is a beautiful game with great music and great performances from the cast, even if half of them will probably never work on another SMT game again due to union shenanigans.

I do feel bad for Roland, though. All that work to introduce a new character...only to just leave him by the wayside during the final dungeon (if you don't recruit him back) and completely ignore him in the ending, regardless if you got him over Heat or not. Kind of makes him superfluous and only really there to recreate the tale of Indra from Hindu mythology.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Just to point it out it's always been obvious Schroedinger was Seraph, because he's literally wearing Seraph's Atma mark around his neck in the form of a pair of creepy mouth bells!

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011
Here's a translation of a couple of Meguro's comments on the soundtrack

This one is an interview with Kaneko

I think this one was already posted before but here's the notes on the character design

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
This was an interesting LP, thanks for doing it! It's a shame the plot and ending went to jrpg town, but I suppose that's to be expected.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hey Dragonatrix, any chance we can talk you into doing the final boss with the party that defeated all the bonus bosses? No worries if not. This was a lot of fun and I'm glad you did it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I love the final boss music to this game so much. It's possibly my single favorite piece by Meguro, and that's saying something.

Well done, Dragonatrix, well done indeed. Another superb LP. :golfclap:

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

That ending was incredibly boring and does not feel remotely earned.

This LP was fun as hell and good; Thanks Dragonatrix.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Awesome LP, thanks for doing it.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
I respect the final boss a lot more because it isn't immediately apparent what Eternal Zero does. Also, one time he just dropped Eternal Zero-> Light x4 and obliterated me.

Mad Fnorder fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 24, 2015

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

How is Meguro Shoji so awesome?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Another great LP in the can~ Now, what's your next game breakingly awesome LP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Hey Dragonatrix, any chance we can talk you into doing the final boss with the party that defeated all the bonus bosses?

I can, yeah, but it probably won't be different enough to really matter. Beyond, like, Turn Ring stuff to make it slightly quicker.

If I do bother, I'll record it later today but for the meantime here's some mechanics stuff:

See, the thing is your stats actually don't make that big of a difference it turns out. Enough of one to be noticeable when you have a large enough disparity, but when the difference is like "70 Str vs 99", then the damage is just about equal. Level has no bearing on it whatsoever.

It makes sense when you think about it as a way to make it so people can't just grind to beat stuff (though more HP never hurts), but the problem is that means you don't really get tangibly any stronger as you progress. How effective you are is down much more to what skills you use than anything else. Skill tier and Power/Mind Charge are the big, big things there. What doesn't help is that buffs and debuffs aren't as effective as you'd think either on their own. Consider that Brahman was taking ~11-1200 per hit at +/- 0 whereas it was upped to ~1400 with 2 Charges netting a 66% stat increase.

A complete aside but, speaking of Brahman and mechanics stuff, the Elec and Ice forms technically use different copies of Eternal Zero. They do the exact same thing, have the same animations, cost of nothing etc. etc. but count as completely different spells for... some reason. There's also 3 versions of Light for reasons I do not know and cannot begin to guess. Also they are both considered a Shield spell (so the same type as the Void/Drain/Repel stuff) because obviously, right?

• Locked thread