Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

thespaceinvader posted:

'A steampunk'

I'm not sure this author has actually understood what $Whateverpunk actually means...

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

*whirring noise as the cog-covered copper dildo starts expelling steam from its eleven vents*

same

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Zurui posted:

A Punk made of Steam.

What gets me is that The Difference Engine is about how terrible a steampunk world is. The technology creates incredible amounts of pollution (so much that it makes London uninhabitable in the summer) and makes England into a dystopian surveillance state. Who wants to live in that?

Also, the ending blows.

Agreed on the ending, but I really liked the Difference Engine because yeah, all their "tech" does is further the racial, sex, and class divides even further. It's a compelling read imo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I wonder if I would get in trouble if I bought that as a wedding present for the "steampunk wedding" I have to go to next month.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLlj_GeKniA

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
LOL the nicotine cum cum stains are part of the cover design, not just the normal used book store patina

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Len posted:

I wonder if I would get in trouble if I bought that as a wedding present for the "steampunk wedding" I have to go to next month.

:yikes:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

fosborb posted:

LOL the nicotine cum cum stains are part of the cover design, not just the normal used book store patina

That soot gets everywhere.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

When I said "abused" I meant "used the wrong way", like, say, as a way to describe a person. Get your mind out of the gutter people.

Maybe it would be best to use a different term to describe a setting where an antiquated technology developped to the point that it's possible to obtain results on par with our technology (maybe -tech?) but the problem is that the term steampunk has gained too much momentum and there is no stopping it now.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

paradoxGentleman posted:

When I said "abused" I meant "used the wrong way", like, say, as a way to describe a person. Get your mind out of the gutter people.

Maybe it would be best to use a different term to describe a setting where an antiquated technology developped to the point that it's possible to obtain results on par with our technology (maybe -tech?) but the problem is that the term steampunk has gained too much momentum and there is no stopping it now.

I've seen "magitech" used in this way all the time. Admittedly mostly for Final Fantasy games, but still.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Example: if I make a game that's all about Dickensonian working condition with bright-eyed revolutionaries stealing equipment to use against the owner of the factory, that's steampunk.
If I make a game about gentlemen and inventors soaring through the skies on Wonder of the Age to explore the hidden corners of the world, that's steamtech.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
When the Folgios first started doing Girl Genius they called it "Gaslight Fantasy" or something similar because even back then they realized there was nothing at all punk about their world-setting.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

paradoxGentleman posted:

If I make a game about gentlemen and inventors soaring through the skies on Wonder of the Age to explore the hidden corners of the world, that's steamtech.

"I want to live in a Jules Verne story, but I don't understand that they're critiques of late 19th-century society instead of celebrations of imperialism."

Len posted:

If you are going to a steampunk wedding, you're already in trouble.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Len posted:

Will this wedding take place on a stage constructed of dirty child-laborers?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Will this wedding take place on a stage constructed of dirty child-laborers?

Would it make it better or worse if it did?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It'd be more historically accurate, anyway,

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Fantasy Craft had a setting called Epoch where you played a fantasy version of South American natives struggling against a Aztec Empire empowered by black magic, it was probably the most interesting of the mini-settings they did in Adventure Companion.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Fantasy Craft had a setting called Epoch where you played a fantasy version of South American natives struggling against a Aztec Empire empowered by black magic, it was probably the most interesting of the mini-settings they did in Adventure Companion.

That sounds pretty rad, honestly. Was it tastefully done?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Covok posted:

what does your heart tell you

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Covok posted:

It's always hard to say when it's all converted to pure fantasy, with nothing deeply based on real cultures. It could definitely be criticized for leaning on the idea of the noble savage archetype, where people were fractious but basically good and repected nature nature until the newer civilization came along and hosed things up, and relies on some cultural mish-mash like counting coup. On the other hand, it goes all the goddamn way with it, where the invaders build cities with bone towers, summon demons, and use corrupting magic. I don't feel like I'm in a great place to say exactly how sensitive it is but I can definitely see some eye-rolling going on. On the the other hand, I do like the idea of struggling against a foe that's both technologically and magically superior, which isn't something you see in most RPG fantasy settings (Dark Sun is about the only one that comes to mind).

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
What the gently caress would Alan Moore write in this?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

chaos rhames posted:

What the gently caress would Alan Moore write in this?
Bush upkeep.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Zurui posted:

"I want to live in a Jules Verne story, but I don't understand that they're critiques of late 19th-century society instead of celebrations of imperialism."

One can understand what Verne was trying to say and disapprove of imperialism while still wanting to play a game like this, just like one can understand that busting into people's homes to take their stuff because they are always chaotic evil is wrong and still enjoy a D&D clone.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
As a weird side note, both the actual Steampunk-y RPGs I own actually kind of get the -punk side of things pretty well. One of them actually predates the movement as a general thing- Castle Falkenstein. But one of the key setting points in it is that the accelerated tech in the setting is a bad thing; tech is developing faster than safety or social reforms can keep up, and deliberately so, because one of the key people behind this wants to destroy humanity. (Meanwhile, the humans going along with this just see it as a way to get rich and don't care about the workers that get maimed or killed because they're victorian era industrialists and are thus lovely human beings.) It does have the general assumption that the PCs are the -good- members of the aristocracy, though.

Meanwhile, Airship Pirates explicitly has a global oppressive Victorian empire because a steampunk band got access to a time machine and ruined everything forever. That's not even subtext or an unintended reading, they hosed up everything and now there's only roving bands of nomads and a few free sky-based cities outside of imperial control because drunk members of Abney Park tried to make history more Steampunky without considering the consequences.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 26, 2015

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Zurui posted:

A Punk made of Steam.

What gets me is that The Difference Engine is about how terrible a steampunk world is. The technology creates incredible amounts of pollution (so much that it makes London uninhabitable in the summer) and makes England into a dystopian surveillance state. Who wants to live in that?

Also, the ending blows.

Well yes, that's the original point. Steampunk, like cyberpunk before it, was initially about how technology is an amoral force rather than a shining beacon of hope and can very easily make the lives of people shittier. It's just the period of breakneck progress is the Industrial Revolution instead of the Moore's Law addled late 20th-21st centuries.

That being said, while I find the more...romantic take on the Victorian period reached its saturation point and has become a bit of a parody of itself (lol that sex guide), I do find some of the bitching about steampunk reminiscent of that rant Jimbozig went on a while back about how could anyone like pirate games and media because they were all horrible people IRL.Sometimes you just want a game with airships.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I think the rise of Steampunk (and the Victorian steam-technology aesthetic) has a lot to with a crisis in modern SF. So much of what SF promised has either been proved ridiculous (aliens, asteroid mining, mars colonies, space industry, not to mention things like psionics and our sapient dolphin friends), banal (smartphones, the internet), or terrifying (AI, automation, panopticon surveillance, ecological collapse), so there's an increasing tendency to turn away from The Future and re-create an imagined past where Great Things were possible. People like to read optimistic stories, and it's increasingly hard to write credible SF stories with an optimistic tilt. If you can't look to the future, and the present is awful, well, bring on the reimagined past.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Zurui posted:

It may just be time eroding my memory, but I don't remember much space in Verne's stories being devoted to deconstructing 19th century social mores so much as they were him gushing about then theoretical technology like the submarine or the airship and spending way too long on what amounts to technobabble about electric batteries and propeller driven vehicles.

Wells was all about criticizing things though, really explicitly in War of the Worlds or The Time Machine in particular.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
My all time favorite miss-use of steampunk was in a review for a video game I read a few years back. It was a cyberpunk mecha rail shooter and the reviewer said something like, "The aesthetics are like steampunk, but more futuristic, lots of wires and neon, I call it 'electricpunk' "

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bucnasti posted:

My all time favorite miss-use of steampunk was in a review for a video game I read a few years back. It was a cyberpunk mecha rail shooter and the reviewer said something like, "The aesthetics are like steampunk, but more futuristic, lots of wires and neon, I call it 'electricpunk' "
... :pwn: what

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Zereth posted:

... :pwn: what

cyperpunk is for olds now grampa *listens to macklemore, rides off on his scooter to 11th grade english*

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Forums Terrorist posted:

cyperpunk is for olds now grampa

Electricpunk is dumb as hell, but this is completely true.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Bob Quixote posted:

It may just be time eroding my memory, but I don't remember much space in Verne's stories being devoted to deconstructing 19th century social mores so much as they were him gushing about then theoretical technology like the submarine or the airship and spending way too long on what amounts to technobabble about electric batteries and propeller driven vehicles.

Wells was all about criticizing things though, really explicitly in War of the Worlds or The Time Machine in particular.

I know in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Captain Nemo is a bitter prince of the Indian Subcontinent basically waging a one-ship guerrilla campaign against the world's imperialist powers. Not sure about Around the World in 80 Days, though.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Davin Valkri posted:

I know in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Captain Nemo is a bitter prince of the Indian Subcontinent basically waging a one-ship guerrilla campaign against the world's imperialist powers. Not sure about Around the World in 80 Days, though.

Fair point- its been years since I have read 20,000 Leagues and as a kid I tended to re-read Journey to the Center of the Earth way more often. I don't recall them getting to explicit with Nemo's origins in the book (could be memory once again), but now that I think about it I do remember him sinking a warship or two on principles.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Forums Terrorist posted:

cyperpunk is for olds now grampa *listens to macklemore, rides off on his scooter to 11th grade english*

This is because cyberpunk came true.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Bob Quixote posted:

Fair point- its been years since I have read 20,000 Leagues and as a kid I tended to re-read Journey to the Center of the Earth way more often. I don't recall them getting to explicit with Nemo's origins in the book (could be memory once again), but now that I think about it I do remember him sinking a warship or two on principles.

Nemo was originally Polish with a serious grudge against Russia for its civilian-slaughtering ways during the January Uprising, but the publisher felt that was too inflammatory and so it was altered. It's one of those times when cowardly editorial meddling produced a more interesting end product I think.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Poland Navy.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm sure it already exists, what qualifies as wizardpunk that you folks have read or otherwise consumed

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

drat imagine if the Nautilus had hussar wings and was called Kurwa and could never go into space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Tollymain posted:

i'm sure it already exists, what qualifies as wizardpunk that you folks have read or otherwise consumed

Black Company: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Company

The oppressive system is the Lady and her Taken / The Dominator depending on scope. The moral ambiguity comes from all sides being evil, just to stay ahead. The transformative properties probably aren't that prominent, but hiding in and making deals with the system and becoming part of it kinda works.

• Locked thread