Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I'd rather see Kat returning to her house and asking her parents some questions, like a regular girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

And then Renard will follow orders and press all the buttons on their heads, ending the threat.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Yeah idk that seems like bad fanfic

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Here's what is going to happen to Anthony because of all this;

Nothing. Nothing is going to happen to Anthony because of all this. Not for a long, long time at least.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Gotta say after the boat chapter I was p much ready to wash my hands of this comic and its non-developments, so at least this has me checking again, though as usual now I wish that it was moving a bit quicker- and that's nice compared to wishing it was moving at all.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, yeah, wishful thinking on my part. It's probably going to end up just being super depressing until any other character shows up. Its a slow build, but its still somehow making me waiting for the next comic. Here's hoping that it gets happier soon.

It's going to take a while, it seems. :(

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

Nothing. Nothing is going to happen to Anthony because of all this. Not for a long, long time at least.

I'm looking forward to reading Adventures in Studying Responsibly with Antimony Carver, Well-Disciplined Teenager for the next few years.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Like I said, it's either going to switch to being about the adventures of Zimmy & Gamma or a sitcom about teenaged lesbians. Annie's story is over now. :colbert:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Boogaleeboo posted:

I dunno, I think he might be on the receiving end of some pretty withering looks.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Paramemetic posted:

Gotta say after the boat chapter I was p much ready to wash my hands of this comic and its non-developments, so at least this has me checking again, though as usual now I wish that it was moving a bit quicker- and that's nice compared to wishing it was moving at all.
I feel the same way. Any character or plot development is left to trail off at the end of each chapter, and the characters are frequently just blindly accepting changes that should have a huge effect on them, like the boat chapter, the return of Anthony, or the imprisonment / tossing away of Renard. There should be action taken about these things but they're barely even questioning them, and the whole comic is based around questioning strange or wrong things and figuring out the truth. Even when they decide to get down to business about Jeanne they wind up learning very little and getting sidetracked.

Fecha fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 26, 2015

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Fecha posted:

I feel the same way. Any character or plot development is left to trail off at the end of each chapter, and the characters are frequently just blindly accepting changes that should have a huge effect on them, like the boat chapter, the return of Anthony, or the imprisonment / tossing away of Renard. There should be action taken about these things but they're barely even questioning them, and the whole comic is based around questioning strange or wrong things and figuring out the truth. Even when they decide to get down to business about Jeanne they wind up learning very little and getting sidetracked.

The boat stuff maybe... but what's there to do? Kat spent the summer working on her project- maybe not the right take away from that but that's what she did, and then Totem focused more on Annie, and now Anthony's return has derailed everything.

And Anthony's return is an ongoing issue- it's been 20 pages! That's all! The chapter's not done and we have no idea how long until it is, or what the lasting effects are, or how the characters will react long term, or if this will be a multi-chapter or even something that goes on until the end of the comic. Currently we've established oh poo poo, things are going to change. Right now Annie's basically broken and Kat's in damage control mode. Wondering why Anthony came back now takes third place to concern for Renardine, and that takes second place to making sure Annie's ok emotionally and they can keep in contact. Probably the next thing Kat's going to do is talk to her parents/Eglamore to see what the deal is since it looks like they're in for the long haul here and Kat knows that. Railing against Anthony now will accomplish nothing except push Annie away, so Kat's laying low for a bit. And again it's worth noting that Anthony has been back for 20 pages and the situation has just been established. It's like starting up Lord of the Rings, getting to the point where Gandalf explains the Ring to Frodo and then stopping the movie and going "what the gently caress Frodo, why haven't you reacted?" Patience.

As for Jeanne, it's not like they can devote all their time to her. They have school and school work, extra curricular stuff like being Medium/Robo-god and generally just relaxing and being teens. Also they have to coordinate between Kat, Annie, Parley and Smitty's schedules. There's not a time limit. Jeanne's been down there for decades/centuries, it's not like a few more months makes that much a difference, and when they get sidetracked it's generally in the course of following their other duties or a general "oh poo poo" panic situation.

edit- just because I'm feeling nerdy and terrible, here's a breakdown

chapter 8 Broken Glass + other things- Jeanne's first appearance, not Annie's problem so she doesn't follow through
chapter 18 S1- discovery of the old robots + Diego's shrine. A clue, but still they have no directive or follow ups
ch 21 Blinking and ch 23 Terror Castle- Annie learns more from Muut, then asks Jones. Finally has reason to really start looking into Jeanne. Ch 22 was a flashback so these two are basically back to back.
Ch 24 Residential- school trip, not something they can or should really opt out of?
Ch 25 Sky watcher- Interview with Robot King and viewing Diego's recordings. More research! More things learned! They couldn't do this earlier because they needed the King to approach them, probably.

ch 26 is forest adventure with Coyote (learning about ether, important), and then ch 27 and 28 are dealing with Jack (important pressing issue)
29 Bad start is Kat dealing with the revelations from 25
30 has them actively trying to learn more about Jeanne, bringing Parley and Smitty in and learning how dangerous Jeanne is.
31 Annie runs away for the summer, returns in 32. This wasn't ~optimal~ as they could have done research and planned over the summer. Way to go Annie!
33 Give and Take- Kat is doing research, activates an old robot. Again, the robots needed to bring Kat the source code for this to happen.
34 One fun night out with friends.
35 Actively planning on how to deal with Jeanne. As of now they are in prolonged planning mode, letting Parley practice her skills, and coming up with plan for the long term. They mostly know everything except for execution.

36 Dealing with the aftermath of 35, then shenanigans.
37 ... Dealing with the aftermath of Anthony's phonecall
38 ....... dealing with the aftermath (?) of the last chapter
39 and 40 talking to Coyote and Jones, back to back. Important things learned, just not about Jeanne.
41 Antimony made forest medium.
42 Forest Adventure
43 Renard time
44 Forest Adventure
45 Kat adventure, see progress on her artificial life project
46 Doing more research and practice on Jeanne! Looking to the RotD for more info! But it offers no real leads.
47 follow up
48 forest adventure
49 robot fun on the high seas- a)no reason for them to skip a school trip b)emergency situation
50 Learning more about forest to human tranfers
51 Anthony's return

So basically they have been following up on Jeanne whenever they can, but many of their sources don't offer easy follow-ups or they have other things going that take precedence.. Since chapter 35 they've known most of what there is to know and are just trying to prepare, but there's not much to do or research there since stopping Jeanne has well, never been done. They still have other duties, projects and lines of inquiry going on, unrelated to Jeanne that they can't just drop, and rather than getting distracted it's more they keep getting interrupted, by urgent issues or actions that demand immediate attention and have follow up effects ie Annie running away, becoming Medium, coma, Anthony's return...

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 26, 2015

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I wonder if Annie will get moved in just to find out her dad has disappeared again with no warning

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Rei_ posted:

I wonder if Annie will get moved in just to find out her dad has disappeared again with no warning

I don't think he'd disappear again without Renard, but holy hell would this be upsetting.

...it's probably going to happen.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
He still has to teach that class, but Annie is not in it, so Anthony could still vanish from the comic; then suddenly, the author suffered a fatal heart attack, and Gunnerkrigg Court was no more.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 26, 2015

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Well, I sure picked a hell of a time to start reading this comic. :eek:

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

Jackard posted:

He still has to teach that class, but Annie is not in it, so Anthony could still vanish from the comic; then suddenly, the author suffered a fatal heart attack, and Gunnerkrigg Court was no more.

And there was no rejoicing. :smith:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

I think there are subjective issues I have that lots of posters don't and that's ok. But I also think you're misunderstanding my complaints-- I don't find anything the characters do incredibly illogical, but the events are still decided by the author. He didn't have to make the Jeanne chapter lead to nothing. He didn't have to have Annie go on lots of forest adventures that each establish a few new plot points and new questions left to answer. But he did. And that's fine for people who are still enjoying the character development and other great things about the comic in a vacuum, but I think the plot is starting to pile up too much and I wish that when Anthony showed up, it wouldn't be apropos of nothing and without any resolution to the million mysteries about him. I feel like I understand him less than before. A lot about the chapter feels off to me.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Fecha posted:

I think there are subjective issues I have that lots of posters don't and that's ok. But I also think you're misunderstanding my complaints-- I don't find anything the characters do incredibly illogical, but the events are still decided by the author. He didn't have to make the Jeanne chapter lead to nothing. He didn't have to have Annie go on lots of forest adventures that each establish a few new plot points and new questions left to answer. But he did. And that's fine for people who are still enjoying the character development and other great things about the comic in a vacuum, but I think the plot is starting to pile up too much and I wish that when Anthony showed up, it wouldn't be apropos of nothing and without any resolution to the million mysteries about him. I feel like I understand him less than before. A lot about the chapter feels off to me.

I get you, but coming into a fan thread and mentioning any criticism is likely to get you shouted down. That's no knock on this particular thread, that's the same everywhere you go. But I have had some similar doubts about the path of the plot from time to time. Like the ship chapter, we had court robots involved in kidnapping and coercing students to use their abilities against their will. All of this was witnessed by a member of the staff (Lindsey) and yet we've heard nothing about it since. That feels like bad writing. It may not be, and maybe there are behind the scenes things going on and we'll catch up that thread later when we find out that all the seraph robots have become outcast and if they're ever caught in the open they're immediately captured and paper-clipped. Maybe. But until then, we just have a group at large in the court who takes no issue with kidnapping children and using them as tools, and everyone just seems to be fine with that.

Similarly, when Tony came back, sure I wanted to see how Annie and Kat would react. But I also want to see how Rey reacts, and Eglamore, and Jones, and the Donlans, and Coyote and Ysengrin. And here we are, six weeks later, and we haven't heard a peep out of any of those characters. Even now, with Reynard in the scene, he's been ordered to shut up. And it's especially annoying because the readers are being given every reason to despise Tony, but we have no character in the story to give voice to those feelings. We've just had Annie turning into a vegetable, and Kat who is obviously stifling her reaction for the sake of her friend. Which is great and all, but I really need someone to step up and say 'you know what, Carver, yer dad's a jerk!' And that's just not happening. It's one thing to tease your audience along for a while to build up tension for an eventual payoff, but at this point it sorta feels like we've forgotten that the rest of the court exists. Either none of the other characters know, in which case there needs to be a plot reason for that; they're not incompetent idiots, or they do know and they're not doing anything for some reason. Which, again, the plot needs to spell out that reason.

I think it's fair to say that I really haven't enjoyed reading this comic for a month or so now. And to the inevitable 'why don't you stop reading it' question: I might, if it carries on long-term like this, or he really does just drop this plot thread without a resolution. But Tom's done some great work that I've enjoyed for years, and while I may have some concerns, that doesn't mean I'm going to just storm out in a childish rage. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that all of this painful slow plot is leading up to something worthwhile.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah I agree with you 100%. I'm interested as to why the Donlans and Jimmy have no involvement with this whole Anthony suddenly appearing thing. It comes across like Annie had no warning. The only logical reason I can think of is that they weren't informed, which could be an interesting development. I'm hoping the adults step in when they hear about this and start challenging Anthony.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

That's the thing though, they kinda have to know already. That's why I wanna see Kat go home and just ask "what the hell, dad?"

Glenn Zimmerman
Apr 9, 2009
During 50: Totem I was debating whether to start reading in monthly installments due to the plots pacing, as mentioned. But then Anthony showed up and just started blowing poo poo up, status quo wise.

Also I just noticed that Mort's final chapter was called "See Ya!". You're the worst, Siddell.

Rei_ posted:

Someone up thread mentioned the possibility of Tony knocking out the actual teacher and shoving them in a closet so he could grab Renard. It's a tempting option.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Fecha posted:

Ok that's fair enough. I disagree but I'm not trying to shout anyone down (though for every complaint about a hugbox for whatever community or work, the inverse is true where no criticism can be debated without the defense denigrated as fanboyism).

But my point is that the narrative structure in Gunnerkrig Court doesn't follow the traditional path. There are several longstanding issues and plotlines that are clearly not going to be resolved any time soon. And I also don't think that there's really a... central or main conflict. Well there's the vague forest vs. court but that's expressed in several smaller plotlines- Jeanne is one, Coyote's plotting is another, now Anthony's return, whatever's up with Kat, etc. But you can't really consider anyone of them more important than the others., mostly. Jeanne's a central aspect of the comic, both in plot and thematically, but so is dealing with Coyote and the forest. Talking with Coyote, learning about the ether and what makes him tick isn't a distraction from the main plot of Jeanne, it is the main plot just as much. Each progresses, and we and the characters learn more, get more information, and so on but the comic isn't focused solely on those plot points, it's more of a... I almost want to say a slice of life type deal. We're following the characters as they deal with events (long or short term). You personally might not like that kind of story telling, and that's more than fine, but I don't think it's fair to consider that a flaw in GCourt, any more than it'd be to say an Opera is flawed because they characters sing about their feelings.

And again, I want to stress that Anthony has been back for 20 pages. Less than a chapter. We have no idea how long this chapter will be, or what followup there will be in future chapters, or anything. Twenty pages can cover a lot of time... or not, depending how much emphasis you want to place on certain events. And it's clear Tom wants to give Anthony's return A LOT of emphasis, in terms of how much it's effecting Annie, both her life and her emotions.The characters haven't really reacted beyond shock because they haven't had a chance to. Maybe Tom could have written things different, done more of a time skip or focused on different things, but then we'd have other people asking why the characters didn't react more, why they were able to take Anthony's return in stride, why such an important event was glossed over, and so on. It's just... it's hard to take the criticism that we haven't heard from the Donlans or Eglamore and so on seriously because we've only just finished outlining what the problem is. For all we know tomorrow's page could be exactly that, all those characters having the biggest "Carver is a right tosser" club meeting yet. Just... patience. Wait at least a couple more pages or until the chapters over before or something before judging it this finally.

If that's not your cup of tea, or you'd prefer reading on a monthly or per chapter basis that's totally fine. I'm not going to tell you how to enjoy this cartoon comic about lesbian schoolgirls and talking magical wolves. Just you know, whatever.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 27, 2015

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Well a conversation in a comic taking over a week to play out in real-time is pretty annoying, but that's the nature of the beast. I've mumbled "I get it, the man's a cock, let's move this along" more than once this chapter.

Wouldn't be surprised if he fucks off once he has Renard, and the next phase of the story is Annie snapping out of her shock and the girls hunting Anthony down to get Renard back. It'd be a lot more entertaining than "Annie deals with the repercussions of her bad decisions in a gloomy and passive manner". Not that I'm expecting that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think it's less about it being bad art and more about something I used to enjoy becoming a thrice-weekly torture, to the point where I'm mildly uncomfortable going to sleep the night before because I might wind up seeing something really unpleasant in the morning.

Like, this is an extremely skillful piece of craft, but for over a month now Gunnerkrigg has been actively painful to read or think about.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah. The chapter is amazing, and GC as a whole would certainly be worse if it was happy funtimes 24/7. But it's terrible to read serialized. Depending on how invested you are in the story and characters, it just makes your day worse for having read it, three times a week.

In the end, Tree will be a very important and very well-told "part of a larger whole". But read as updates, the entire chapter is a "whole made up of smaller parts", parts that get drip-fed to us. We're experiencing all of the pain of a sad story without the return of that story's big-picture.

The chapter will be over eventually, part of the archives, and then it will no longer be anything but a good and valuable part of an excellent webcomic. A chapter that makes you sad, but for a good reason, that you can delve into by clicking or turning to the next page. (Unless Tom has decided that GC will be nothing but "how sad, frustrating, painful or angering can I make each page from now on, forever". )

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 27, 2015

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Ditocoaf posted:

Yeah. The chapter is amazing, and GC as a whole would certainly be worse if it was happy funtimes 24/7. But it's terrible to read serialized. Depending on how invested you are in the story and characters, it just makes your day worse for having read it, three times a week.

I couldn't disagree more. It's amazing to read serialized. Slowly working through this disaster step by step, three times a week, heightens everything. Gunnerkrigg updates at 4 pm for me. At 3:50 or so, I start to get jittery. It's stressful. I have to brace myself when the clock ticks over to 4:00. There's no way reading this chapter will be nearly as intense when you read it all in one go.

If it's too intense for you, then that's too bad. Only the people reading Gunnerkrigg right now will be able to experience this chapter in such a way. I think it's good luck, not some burden.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

This chapter has been like peeling a band-aid off over the course of several weeks.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
It honestly looks like there's general agreement about the sensations the current chapter creates; it's just a question of whether you personally enjoy them.

I don't think there'd be anything wrong with just waiting a few weeks and reading it all in a single shot if you aren't enjoying it. Why torture yourself?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

idonotlikepeas posted:

It honestly looks like there's general agreement about the sensations the current chapter creates; it's just a question of whether you personally enjoy them.

I don't think there'd be anything wrong with just waiting a few weeks and reading it all in a single shot if you aren't enjoying it. Why torture yourself?

We're attached to the things that hurt us.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Idk I got over the waiting pretty fast, like yeah it's one thing per every other day but that's how it's always been and I have other things in my life so it's not a big deal.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I feel like it's been way less tense since the scene shifted from the classroom. It's not like Anthony is gonna jump out of a doorway and start yelling at Annie or anything. The past week or so has been sad but it's not stomach-churning like the previous scene was.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Love makes you act in strange ways.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Tom, you monster.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

This was a hard and emotional chapter, but annie still has her friends. :unsmith:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Well that's that.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Paz, Janet, other people, Vegeta... :unsmith:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Wow.

Just to repeat this ongoing theme: Anthony is a complete dick.

And, in all honesty, this happened in one day. Before anyone can really marshall a defense against it. By the time the Donlans, Eglamore, Jones, Parley & Smitty, or really anyone else knows about anything the damage will have been done.

Anthony wins. Time to burn it to the ground, folks.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Prediction: Any reaction to these recent events by the Donlans, Eglamore, or Jones won't be depicted in the comic. (Who cares what they think?) Annie will not appear in the comic, or be referred to by any other characters, for the next four chapters. The only hint that she ever existed will be a brief wistful/contemplative sigh by Kat at an opportune moment, or a passing "if Annie were here" by the Jeanne Investigations Team (now consisting of Kat, Parley, Smitty and Shadow 2). Anthony will make brief cameos as A Strict Teacher. GC will seamlessly move on to other plotlines, letting this one simmer for a bit like every other plotline.

I'm making this prediction because it's what I least want to see, but if Tom decides to go that way then at least I'll have the sad consolation prize of Having Called It.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 27, 2015

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

ahahaha I go on about how the chapters not over and everyone should be patient and then it immediately ends

get owned, me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009

T-man posted:

Tom, you monster.

Agreed, and now, well...gently caress, this might as well be the ending point of the comic. The crowd of friends watching in disbelief just twisted that knife a little further.

So. Where do we go from here?

No really, where do we go from here? I can think of a few really unlikely things, but considering that <i>all of their friends knew and came to say goodbye</i>, lets go with the obvious one: word travels fast by way of mouth, so one of the other adult characters knew. The reaction has yet to show, but while I and a lot of you are suspecting a resounding "What the gently caress, dude" from any of the adults about Tony's behavior, its not going to happen Not for a while. :(

(SPECULATION STARTS HERE)
But suppose this is an interlude. In the crowd of friends, there's Janet, the Headmasters daughter. I'd imagine something would come out of that family confrontation, but the old guy doesn't seem to care (given the last meeting). Word of mouth from -that- heated argument probably travels through the grapevine, and to the attention of Parley and Smitts. Because having the ability to have order in a seemingly forever chaotic world is a wonderful perk at times. Which then goes to Eglamore during one of Parley's lessons at guarding Smitts.
(SPECULATION ENDS HERE)

Okay, that long telephone game paragraph aside, there are some things that are most definitely going to happen. The Forest no longer has their Medium, their honorary citizen, because she got taken away in the span of like....3 hours, give or take. The Court's Medium was not notified of this, and there will most likely be all sorts of hell to pay at the next meeting with Ysengrin and Coyote. Specifically after someone mentions that it was Anthony Carver, that guy that neither of them are too fond of, who took their Medium away.

Especially if he is in the room during said meeting.

I mean, someone could very easily twist how that sounded into it being a direct attack on The Forest by kidnapping their Medium and holding her hostage within The Court, without warning or seemingly any cause. Coyote would be laughing and laughing at the prodigal son of The Court coming back and immediately loving up everything, while Ysengrin would be barely holding that rage back. Hell, it might be the point where he actually DOES lose the rest of his marbles (oh god now that makes too much sense Tom you monster).

A sad chapter, but hey, anything can happen. Just please don't do those suckerpunches over and over like that ever again, Tom. You somehow made Mort's final chapter feel tamer compared to this. :(