Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

When you think about it, the new fanless MacBook is the first time Apple has ever resurrected a product line from oblivion.

Only took 5 years to do it, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Well what other Apple lines have been put into oblivion?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Well what other Apple lines have been put into oblivion?

iBook, PowerBook, iPod (classic) is in limbo, Mac Pro was MIA for a long time...

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yeah but the iBook was basically superseded by the MacBook and PowerBook by the MacBook Pro.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
iBooks got resurrected! :colbert:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Well, they killed the PowerMac. But then that became the Mac Pro, right?

Well, they killed the Macintosh and Lisa, and a bunch of peripherals, I don't think they make printers any more. I really think the big one is the iPod Classic. I don't think there's much hope of them making another.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I don't think you can count the PowerMac lines since they really just got renamed and not retired.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I bet the iPod classic comes back when NAND flash gets a lot cheaper.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I thought the touch pretty much replaced it? Is the storage on the touch that big of an issue for a significant portion of the market? Especially now with streaming becoming more mature and the ~cloud~.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Xserve

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Nope :smug:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

That is so ugly. The definition of round peg in a square hole. Sad to say I've seen this in real life :/

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Surely there are

Surely there are cheaper solutions.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Boiled Water posted:

Surely there are

Surely there are cheaper solutions.

You mean alternative machines or mounting? Its pretty clear Apple doesn't want their hardware in ugly racks but people really really want to shove that peg in.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
When'd you ever want a Mac in that form factor anyways?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Cingulate posted:

When'd you ever want a Mac in that form factor anyways?

Because people like to be special snowflakes show off their Apple epeen.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shaocaholica posted:

You mean alternative machines or mounting? Its pretty clear Apple doesn't want their hardware in ugly racks but people really really want to shove that peg in.

Alternative machines like say servers.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Boiled Water posted:

Alternative machines like say servers.

But they need to be made by Apple and Mac Minis don't have the powa. And you'd never want to put a hackintosh into production even though you've got duct tape rigging all over the place.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The new Mac Pros are actually easier to transport than the iMacs, even with an external monitor. So perfect for a DIT

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

1st AD posted:

The new Mac Pros are actually easier to transport than the iMacs, even with an external monitor. So perfect for a DIT

Moot point if your DIT has 1000lbs of gear in porta racks. Not that I agree with that kind of setup.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I guess I should have specified mobile/on set DIT, but then again I saw a dude wheel in an 8U cabinet once for what was basically a glorified photo shoot.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Like I said, epeen

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Pivo posted:

Well, they killed the PowerMac. But then that became the Mac Pro, right?

Well, they killed the Macintosh and Lisa, and a bunch of peripherals, I don't think they make printers any more. I really think the big one is the iPod Classic. I don't think there's much hope of them making another.

Well that was kinda tied to the fact that it was using PowerPC architecture. It would not have made sense to keep calling things Power when they were intel. The iPod touch was practically a modern day Newton.

They no longer make printers or webcams but nobody needs those anymore. Paper is practically dead and cameras are integrated into basically everything on earth. Speaking of cameras...

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Paper was always dead ;)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
You guys never print shipping labels at home?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Shaocaholica posted:

I guess i used to, and I have a brother laser printer stored in the closet but I haven't used it in 3 years.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

I have a Lexmark laser that I use a few times a year. I buy shipping labels at the post office across the street.

But Apple used to make the LaserWriter or whatever it was called that used to be the gold standard and was a huge deal for desktop publishing

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Pivo posted:

I have a Lexmark laser that I use a few times a year. I buy shipping labels at the post office across the street.

I mean when you do an RMA or sell something on ebay you get a PDF pre filled shipping label that you can't just print at the post office.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

I mean when you do an RMA or sell something on ebay you get a PDF pre filled shipping label that you can't just print at the post office.
Did you know: a lot of people have access to a printer at work.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sometimes many printers.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

JHVH-1 posted:

Well that was kinda tied to the fact that it was using PowerPC architecture. It would not have made sense to keep calling things Power when they were intel.

The original Powerbooks did not use PowerPC architecture :eng101:.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, Apple stopped selling printers almost 20 years ago, in 1996.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Did you know: a lot of people have access to a printer at work.

Yeah I asked around and apparently that's what a few ppl do at my work. Just seems inconvenient.

Edit: but clearly they don't think it's completely dead given AirPrint is a consumer feature.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 28, 2015

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Pivo posted:

But Apple used to make the LaserWriter or whatever it was called that used to be the gold standard and was a huge deal for desktop publishing

It wasn't just because they made the printer, it's also because they included PostScript, which kicked the poo poo out of PCL (as it existed then,) and PageMaker came out around the same time.

It finally became possible to do professional quality page layout with just a computer and a printer, without hiring a staff of pros with T-squares and blue pencil.

Later on, HP and other companies got hack programmers to write PostScript clones (PostScript emulation anybody?) so they didn't have to raise the price of their printers to pay off royalties to Adobe.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 28, 2015

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

ShadeofBlue posted:

The original Powerbooks did not use PowerPC architecture :eng101:.

I was too poor to get one of those. I always had the hand-me-down macs. First a Mac Classic with black and white screen and 40MB hard drive, and then later a Performa or whatever it was PowerPC machine which I remember running VirtualPC or whatever it was on it, thinking it was so powerful I could have a 386 inside my mac after installing Ram Doubler.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

I print them at work because that is also where Fedex/UPS will be picking the thing up anyway.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

withak posted:

I print them at work because that is also where Fedex/UPS will be picking the thing up anyway.
Bingo. Also all of the free packing materials provided by the shipping/receiving room.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You guys have a shipping and receiving room? We have a stack of boxes in the hallway that you can take, maybe, if you want, and you ask.

I miss the concept of a mailroom. Difference between 3000 employees and ~100, I guess. If the receptionist is off, you ain't gettin' poo poo. :P

I swear my coworkers represent like 10% of the Apple Watch orders in Canada though. One guy bought three. I don't get it.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
So, I came back to my desk and my less than a year old rMBP is completely unresponsive. Screen is black, keyboard and Apple isn't lit up. The only thing I can get it to respond to is that reset SMC command (the magsafe light changes state for a second) but it won't turn on.

Is there anything else obvious I can do or do I need to resign myself for a day road trip to the Apple store?

Edit: Let the Apple phone support have a shot, they say it's pretty much hosed and I have to take it to the Apple store. At least that's a work expense, I guess.

-Dethstryk- fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Planning to install an 850 evo 512GB in my iMac tonight - anything I should know besides the difficult install procedure and to install the fan control thing?