Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

You haven't watched Gurren Lagann, have you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Regalingualius posted:

You haven't watched Gurren Lagann, have you?

Oh, I completely appreciate the connection, I just don't think it was added in to the PS2 game because of TTGL.

(Full disclosure: EVA is interesting and unique, but I think Gurren Lagann is my favorite anime I've ever seen.)

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Haven't checked in with this show since I watched it back in high school. For awhile I thought fans had cracked some vague hints in the show, but it's a PS2 game instead. FAR and all that seem pretty accepted here, but how does it reconcile with them being in the show all of... 0 times?

Most of that stuff actually makes enough sense. It basically puts words in what the mysteries in Eva are but its only chewing gum for canon spergs

Eva 3.0 is the new hotness. Shi hi torture has reached a whole new level, impacts are off the charts, and it's a big ol' Evangelion good time, by which I mean it's a huge bummer with awesome psychedelic apocalyptic iconography and an essay on human misery brought on my dogged pursuit of the divine.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Haven't checked in with this show since I watched it back in high school. For awhile I thought fans had cracked some vague hints in the show, but it's a PS2 game instead. FAR and all that seem pretty accepted here, but how does it reconcile with them being in the show all of... 0 times?

In the flashback episode when Gendo takes Fuyutsuki into the Geofront they say it's ancient but it isn't man made. It's a vague insinuation and the FAR aren't the focus but they're not meant to be.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Szmitten posted:

In the flashback episode when Gendo takes Fuyutsuki into the Geofront they say it's ancient but it isn't man made. It's a vague insinuation and the FAR aren't the focus but they're not meant to be.

That has nothing to do with FAR, the black/white moons were the vessels for adam/lilith to come to Earth. There's no mention of their origins in the series, and IMO it's better that way.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Zartosht posted:

That has nothing to do with FAR, the black/white moons were the vessels for adam/lilith to come to Earth. There's no mention of their origins in the series, and IMO it's better that way.
I dunno, after all these years, I kinda like learning all the stuff from that PS2 game. It makes a ton of sense (after you put all the weird logic and inconsistencies together in your brain).

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Trying to actualize religious and apocalyptic horror themes into "it was aliens and they came to earths in their spaceships" was dumb as hell

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

hope and vaseline posted:

Trying to actualize religious and apocalyptic horror themes into "it was aliens and they came to earths in their spaceships" was dumb as hell

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Evangelion is much better when everything is vague and undefined, all that FAR poo poo sounds like something out of Star Trek or, even worse, Mass Effect.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

hope and vaseline posted:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
It is better undefined. And it is undefined in the show. But the games and multi-issue binders of information with "The TRUTH of Evangelion" that they're trying to sell are based on what Anno gave them. It's all ignorable, but if someone asks "What the fucks up with this thing" there's usually an explanation there (that kills the mystery too).

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The mystery is more important anyways since like half the point of Evangelion is facing life and trying to move forward despite uncertainty and ambiguity.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Szmitten posted:

It is better undefined. And it is undefined in the show. But the games and multi-issue binders of information with "The TRUTH of Evangelion" that they're trying to sell are based on what Anno gave them. It's all ignorable, but if someone asks "What the fucks up with this thing" there's usually an explanation there (that kills the mystery too).

I don't doubt that Anno had a detailed backstory in mind for a lot of what appears on screen, and I'd argue that it's even important that he did. The author needs to have something that glues together what he's actually showing on screen in order for it not to feel like he's just making poo poo up as he goes. But, it should stay in his head, because the actual work benefits from the mystery surrounding the seemingly divine invasion of earth.

It actually kind of makes me think of Carnivale, where after the show was cancelled the producer released his giant 6-season plan that showed all these complicated lineages and rules for the magical powers people and it honestly kinda sucked all the fun and mystery out of the show. On screen everything was mysterious bordering on religious, and then his notes basically turned it into "no, it's p much just magical family trees of magic users".

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Anno had a detailed and elaborate backstory for Evangelion in mind during production

and it changed every couple of episodes :toot:

e: at one point the evas were Nausicaa-style ancient relics instead of something modern humans built, SEELE didn't even exist until like halfway into the show, Fuyutsuki was younger than Gendo in early drafts, etc.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
gently caress

The

Video

Game

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

one of the best things about the Rebuilds is that they gently caress with all the signifiers so that nothing is certain again, so you have to just look at what you're seeing and try to make sense of it

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

SEELE didn't even exist until like halfway into the show

Wait, are you talking about the show itself or just production? Because I totally remember Gendo chatting with SEELE after Shinji kills his first angel way near the beginning. Granted, they were just old dudes in odd color filters rather than the iconic creepy monoliths, but they were still there.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 30, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Wait, are you talking about the show itself or just production? Because I totally remember Gendo chatting with SEELE after Shinji kills his first angel. Granted, they were just old dudes in odd color filters rather than creepy monoliths, but they were still there.

sorry, in production, yeah. although there's a lot to suggest that their concept wasn't finalized until much later, given stuff like them referring to Unit-01 as "that toy" in their first appearance, the lack of monoliths, the seemingly contradictory information in the director's cut, and all the vagueness about what they want from instrumentality

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 30, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They just wanted to recreate their favorite Cordwainer Smith novels, lost during the Second Impact. A noble goal.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Didn't Anno admit that all the judeo-christian symbolism was just window dressing? Like I'm sure I saw a quote ages back where he straight up said he used all that stuff because he felt it was under-utilised in sci-fi. To me it's like Stargate; none of the mythological stuff is legit divine and there's an explanation for everything, even the stuff that never gets explained.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

sinking belle posted:

Didn't Anno admit that all the judeo-christian symbolism was just window dressing? Like I'm sure I saw a quote ages back where he straight up said he used all that stuff because he felt it was under-utilised in sci-fi. To me it's like Stargate; none of the mythological stuff is legit divine and there's an explanation for everything, even the stuff that never gets explained.

They said that but it actually hold up pretty well to scrutiny and kinda blends in with the Eschatology. It's prolly a thing they said cause they don't want to [strike]deal with Catholics[/strike] be raided by the Spanish Inquisition.

I remember in particular that the angels' names are not just random letters with -el at the end, stuff like that.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Yeah, by the end of the series, the symbolism, Angel names and so on are all pretty clever. They had to have been paying attention to the stuff they were drawing from, or otherwise it's one hell of a series of happy coincidences for things like Kaworu being Tabris the Angel of Free Will, Armisael being associated with pregnancy (and all the imagery in its interactions with Rei and Unit-00), Arael is the Angel of light and birds, Zereul is the 'arm of God'...

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I always read it as like they attached the names and imagery to the appropriate subject, but that was more just to make it look cool rather than actually for it's symbolic meaning. It was symbolism for the sake of having cool symbolism, not to communicate something.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

sinking belle posted:

Anno says a lot of poo poo.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

sinking belle posted:

no, actually, he didn't

there's an interview where Sadamoto mentions that he's not sure what anno meant by it, which is probably where that whole myth came from

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah, by the end of the series, the symbolism, Angel names and so on are all pretty clever. They had to have been paying attention to the stuff they were drawing from, or otherwise it's one hell of a series of happy coincidences for things like Kaworu being Tabris the Angel of Free Will, Armisael being associated with pregnancy (and all the imagery in its interactions with Rei and Unit-00), Arael is the Angel of light and birds, Zereul is the 'arm of God'...

All this angel crap is apocryphal bible fan fiction anyways so it's not like they're being sacrilegious.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

They said that they didn't have a "specific Christian meaning" or something along those lines when it came to the religious symbolism, not that it was meaningless.

I just took that to mean they weren't making a comment on contemporary Christianity. Like Misato having a necklace of a cross isn't a comment on Jesus, but just a visual representation of the sacrifice (A concept very related to Jesus) that a) her father made for her, and b) the sacrifice she herself would make to save Shinji in EoE. I feel like most of the religious symbolism can be read in a similar way, where it is abstracted somewhat to be about a broader theme from the religious stories they originate from, but not about Jesus or the Christian God or anyone else from the Bible directly.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 1, 2015

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Raxivace posted:

They said that they didn't have a "specific Christian meaning" or something along those lines when it came to the religious symbolism, not that it was meaningless.

I just took that to mean they weren't making a comment on contemporary Christianity. Like Misato having a necklace of a cross isn't a comment on Jesus, but just a visual representation of the sacrifice (A concept very related to Jesus) that a) her father made for her, and b) the sacrifice she herself would make to save Shinji in EoE. I feel like most of the religious symbolism can be read in a similar way, where it is abstracted somewhat to be about a broader theme from the religious stories they originate from, but not about Jesus or the Christian God or anyone else from the Bible directly.

Yeah, a lot of Christian imagery has other associations on our culture now. I actually had to explain this to my fundie grandma last week. My brother is an atheist, but a lot of his music talks about God and it was really hard to get through to her that "God" in the poetic sense can represent anything from "luck" to "providence" to "whatever order there is to the universe outside myself" to simply "talking to a wall because I feel remorse and I need something to forgive me".

It would be even easier, I would think, for a Japanese director to use Christian imagery this way. Japan doesn't have a long history with the religion and it's still not very established over there, so much of his initial exposure to western Christian themes would have been through their use as allegory in our media. He probably only learned about the more mystical religious aspects of it as he started to research bits and pieces he wanted to include in the show.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I don't doubt that Anno had a detailed backstory in mind for a lot of what appears on screen, and I'd argue that it's even important that he did. The author needs to have something that glues together what he's actually showing on screen in order for it not to feel like he's just making poo poo up as he goes.

I've got news for you, son.

Raxivace posted:

I just took that to mean they weren't making a comment on contemporary Christianity.

It might be easier to tie Christianity to Eva's comments on Japanese culture. I was going to compare it to Aum but the Western stuff was there long before production started. Perhaps it's more to do with the more personal ethos of Christianity over Japanese social religion? And the crosses are most associated with the alien invaders...

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Raxivace posted:

I think even saying that the cross represents sacrifice in Evangelion is giving a bit too much credit; the cross is certainly a recurring visual motif in NGE, and it appears so often that it definitely is intended to be interpreted as being sacrificial in some scenes, but I still think that's influenced by a having a westerners perspective. Eva generally appropriates the imagery and takes them to mean something internal within itself. Sometimes those ideas overlap.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Raxivace posted:

I just took that to mean they weren't making a comment on contemporary Christianity. Like Misato having a necklace of a cross isn't a comment on Jesus, but just a visual representation of the sacrifice (A concept very related to Jesus)

Misato's cross actually has nothing to do with Christianity.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-Armed_Cross

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Interesting. I wasn't aware of this. I don't think it changes too much of my reading of Misato, but I'll have to tweak it somewhat.

EDIT: Actually this page mentions that that form of Cross was used in Christianity at one point as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_cross_variants

I'll have to read some more about this later tonight.

Szmitten posted:

I think even saying that the cross represents sacrifice in Evangelion is giving a bit too much credit; the cross is certainly a recurring visual motif in NGE, and it appears so often that it definitely is intended to be interpreted as being sacrificial in some scenes, but I still think that's influenced by a having a westerners perspective. Eva generally appropriates the imagery and takes them to mean something internal within itself. Sometimes those ideas overlap.

With the idea of sacrifice at least, I think it depends how liberally you use the word. I would consider the killing of the Angels a kind of ritualistic sacrifice (Just dressed up in traditional mecha vs. monster combat), though I would understand if others don't agree with that particular reading.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 1, 2015

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Raxivace posted:

EDIT: Actually this page mentions that that form of Cross was used in Christianity at one point as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_cross_variants

It really shouldn't surprise anyone that Christians borrowed from another faith/practice/religion/ceremony. Their entire gig is just older religions remixed.

That's a big reason I can't believe anyone takes Christianity seriously, but that's neither here nor there.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

How have none of you posted this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzKWbpSNkmk

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It really shouldn't surprise anyone that Christians borrowed from another faith/practice/religion/ceremony. Their entire gig is just older religions remixed.

That's a big reason I can't believe anyone takes Christianity seriously, but that's neither here nor there.

This is true of most religions, and most of human culture for that matter.

Personally I just think it's cool how Eva uses Christian myth the way Western media always uses Greek/Roman/Norse myth.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

quote:

represent the natural union between male and female.

Misato, thirsty to the very end.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

gently caress me is that why the Greek Flag has an equal armed cross on it?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hmm it's called "Greek cross" so...

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It really shouldn't surprise anyone that Evangelion borrowed from another series/anime/novel/film. Its entire gig is just older stories remixed.

That's a big reason I can't believe anyone takes Anno seriously, but that's neither here nor there.

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I always thought it was just meaningless babble to sound ~deep~ and ~important~ to give you a break from the nihilism.

It kinda feels like he's fallen back into old habits that way. Let's confuse things and throw enough metaphors around that you can't quite be sure whether it's symbolism or terrible writing(or both). Like some kind of deeply religious octopus.