Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

grassy gnoll posted:

I'm betting this is what's throwing me. I haven't gotten to play against more than three ships at a time, so I haven't been up against that kind of focused fire yet. I look forward to bring eaten alive by a TIE swarm.

Is there a good place to look to for theorycrafting stuff?

Either ask here, or find somebody else with an obsession for little plastic spaceships, and play your heart out.

Always be playing spaceships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Honestly it doesn't even have to be a TIE swarm to make Evade something to consider. Cobbsprite's right in that part of what makes Evade useful is simply acting to discourage someone from attacking a ship and focus on something else.

Re: theorycrafting and such, in my search for more X-wang info I've found what I consider to be two decent resources for that sort of thing. One is the X-Wing Wiki which is a great place to look up which upgrades and pilots come in which set, what a ship's maneuver dial is, the exact text on various cards, etc. The comments are also not completely execrable either. Then there's Team Covenant who are, I guess, some guys who play games and talk about it a bunch? They have a lot of X-Wing articles among others and a podcast that I haven't listened to but the articles seem interesting (what I've read so far) and range from breaking down the usefulness of individual upgrades to discussing lists and how they do and don't work, and once again the comments aren't terrible and sometimes are even informative. Thread opinion may differ, but I've found these two sites to be useful in different ways.

By contrast do not go to the official Fantasy Flight Games forums, they are loving terrible.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I was poking around the Team Covenant website, and they are running a tournament. They house ruled X-Wings and Tie Defenders to see what it would take to fix them.

Team Covenant posted:

“CANON SHIP RULE”
When constructing a squad, players may legally equip -ANY- ship modification on an X-wing at a -4 discounted cost. This means the X-wing may equip modifications such as Autothrusters or Countermeasures at cost 0, or may equip ****-only modifications like Advanced Cloaking Device or Combat Retrofit, and are still considered legally built. Keep in mind that this rule does not affect whether a card is unique.

For purposes of fairness (aka godmode Biggs), Cloaked X-wings will have no pilot ability while Cloaked.

"STANDARD ISSUE RULE”
All Defenders come equipped with an Ion Cannon upgrade, at no cost. This does not fill the ship’s cannon slot.

I wonder what the tournament will determine in regards to what will work with fixing x-wings.

I haven't flown any Defenders, but I am not sure how much the free ion cannon will help. I am sure it has its uses in keeping a manuverable ship stressed or by going for the easier shot at range 3. It is probably going to be very situational, and either completely unused, or marginally useful.

Edit: looking at the lists, most of the people adding X-Wings just added shield mod or advanced cloaking device to their ships. I saw a couple Combat retrofits on there to make Wedge a lot more durable as well. Nothing too terribly crazy.

Orvin fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 1, 2015

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Kai Tave posted:

By contrast do not go to the official Fantasy Flight Games forums, they are loving terrible.

qft

I went to look up what people were saying might work well with Extra Munitions and there is a thread where this one dude is lovely because his TIE Bomber x4 list still won't win tournaments. Waaaah. Something simply must be done to make an all TIE bomber list viable!

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

Orvin posted:

Edit: looking at the lists, most of the people adding X-Wings just added shield mod or advanced cloaking device to their ships. I saw a couple Combat retrofits on there to make Wedge a lot more durable as well. Nothing too terribly crazy.

Clearly the engine upgrade X wing is lost on them. Or perhaps the Anti pursuit laser rookie?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

soulfulspinster posted:

Clearly the engine upgrade X wing is lost on them. Or perhaps the Anti pursuit laser rookie?

Yeah engine upgrade is the best choice by miles. But everyone thinks the issue with X-Wings is the killing power or durability, when the real issue is that they shoot one time in the initial joust, then get killed while attempting to dogfight.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
X-Wing flight sim series up on steam and on sale, fyi

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The Gate posted:

Yeah engine upgrade is the best choice by miles. But everyone thinks the issue with X-Wings is the killing power or durability, when the real issue is that they shoot one time in the initial joust, then get killed while attempting to dogfight.

There's an article on Team Covenant where they break down an X-Wing vs B-Wings where the X-Wing doesn't come out as bad as people generally expect. His theorized fix, interestingly, was a title that gives it a crew slot.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Someone sell me on a three Y-wing build. I've got a Rebal and a Most wanted Wing, however I've got a chance for a third.

Is it worth it in any way? At most maybe I could see myself running the dual Y-wing Ion builds

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Greyish Orange posted:

Someone sell me on a three Y-wing build. I've got a Rebal and a Most wanted Wing, however I've got a chance for a third.

Is it worth it in any way? At most maybe I could see myself running the dual Y-wing Ion builds

Scum double Y and Hawk is pretty sweet.

For three Ys, though? Lemme think for a bit.

Kavil (24)
Opportunist (4)
Blaster Turret (4)
R4 Agromech (2)
Shield Upgrade (4) [Swap to Hull for initiative bid)

Drea Renthal (22)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Proton Torpedoes (4) [Extended Munitions when it comes out]
Blaster Turret (4)
Unhinged Astromech (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Syndicate Thug (18)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Total: 100 points (99 for initiative bid)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I would say three Y's is perfectly viable for Scum, less so for Rebels since the salvaged astromechs are generally geared specifically towards Y-Wings (on account of them being the only Scum ships with astromech slots).

Strobe's list looks pretty solid, I'd say you could also run an effective list with Kavil plus two Syndicate Thugs kitted out with Unhinged Astromechs and Engine Upgrades along with Ion Turrets. Maybe throw Bomb Loadout and Proximity Mines on there too for extra fun.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I had a blast at last night's store tournament. I ran a fun Black Squadron film-canon list for shits and giggles and still managed to win one of my three matches. The third game was a hilarious loss against 3 Scyks (2 with Manglers + Serissu) and Guri. The hilarious part:

:psyboom: Crits, crits everywhere.

(And that's a custom red Chiss Clawcraft you can just make out at the back which was loving rad.)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Kai Tave posted:

Please, I'm an idiot, not a masochist.

Had time for a quick 50 pt game tonight. I had Howlrunner with swarm tactics, an Academy Pilot, and filled out the rest with Revolver Gundark, because I didn't have any other pilots with usable upgrade slots. Went up against a vanilla Han and got wrecked hard!

I kept my guys together fairly well up until the third turn or so, when the Falcon barreled through the middle of my formation and I couldn't stay together without hitting his base and tripping up that way. When I could actually shoot him, I managed to drain his shields and get him down to six HP, but after that cluster I just couldn't get any meaningful damage on him while he kept flipping around me and eating my guys away with that turret firing arc.

So, lesson learned, when TIE swarming, take more TIEs.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, 50 points just doesn't give you as much room to make a proper swarm but it sounds like you had the basics down pretty good. At 100 points you can open things up to, say, Howlrunner plus four Black Squadron Pilots, all with Stealth Devices and all chaining Swarm Tactics together.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Endman posted:

(And that's a custom red Chiss Clawcraft you can just make out at the back which was loving rad.)

Oh man, do you have any more pics of it?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Oh man, do you have any more pics of it?

Afraid not. I'll grab some more next time I'm playing there.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
At 50 points Han Solo can't lose. It's why the escalation rules require two ships in your first squad.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

At my FLGS yesterday, had to argue with the locals about whether or not Bomb Loadout protects your Y-wing's turret from secondary weapon failure. Why do people get so fixated on dumb poo poo?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Cobbsprite posted:

At my FLGS yesterday, had to argue with the locals about whether or not Bomb Loadout protects your Y-wing's turret from secondary weapon failure. Why do people get so fixated on dumb poo poo?

Man, I wish my locals were that good. The guys around here still haven't gotten past crying about their dice rolls every time they roll 'below average.'

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

StuG Jeebus posted:

Man, I wish my locals were that good. The guys around here still haven't gotten past crying about their dice rolls every time they roll 'below average.'

"You roll below average because you are below average."

Works every time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Reynold posted:

X-Wing flight sim series up on steam and on sale, fyi

Get them from GoG instead; they include the collector's CD-ROM versions of X-Wing and TIE Fighter, which are far and away the best way to play.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Cobbsprite posted:

Can Munitions Failure take out an Inertial Dampener? No, that's obviously not a weapon. How about a Hot Shot blaster? Yeah, that is. It's almost as if the slot an upgrade goes into doesn't determine its secondary weapon status.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I'd argue it doesn't by this logic; Secondary weapons are things in Upgrade slots you can make attacks with.

Hell, you should use this piece of the rulebook:

X-Wing Core Rulebook posted:

Secondary weapon cards show the header “attack:” as a reminder that a ship attacks with either its primary weapon or one of its secondary weapons

So if it doesn't have "attack:", it's not a Secondary Weapon.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
That's basically how I'm looking at it. If you can't attack with it then it's not a weapon, regardless of which slot it goes in.

Honestly, if they're that worried just take a Flechette Torpedo or Seismic Charge, it's like 2 points and if you want peace of mind, well, there you go.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Seismic Charge doesn't say "Attack". Doesn't count as a secondary weapon.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Strobe posted:

Seismic Charge doesn't say "Attack". Doesn't count as a secondary weapon.

Fair enough then. Flechette Torpedoes for all your turret armor needs.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

That's basically how I'm looking at it. If you can't attack with it then it's not a weapon, regardless of which slot it goes in.

Honestly, if they're that worried just take a Flechette Torpedo or Seismic Charge, it's like 2 points and if you want peace of mind, well, there you go.

In fact, rules specifically say that bomb cards are not secondary weapons.

The issue is that a handful of them (the more prominent / loud players) claim that it was errata'd or FAQ'd and that the rules are superceded. However, they don't have a copy of the rule stating so where they can provide it. I'm probably going to end up printing the entire FAQ and plopping it down for them to puzzle over.

This group also still sticks to "Imperial player has initiative" because fuckifIknow. And they insist on rolling three red dice and most hits wins if there's a tie on the initiative bid without a lone Imperial player. They've been doing this so long that I'm going to have to fight inertia to get them to stop being bad.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Speaking of potentially weird rules interpretations, are you supposed to only use one damage deck for both players or are both players supposed to use their own? There's a player at my FLGS who insists it's the former but the tournament rules state that every player needs to bring their own deck so.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Kai Tave posted:

Speaking of potentially weird rules interpretations, are you supposed to only use one damage deck for both players or are both players supposed to use their own? There's a player at my FLGS who insists it's the former but the tournament rules state that every player needs to bring their own deck so.

Everyone needs their own deck.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The Gate posted:

Everyone needs their own deck.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I feel like the quickstart set, while a good way to introduce new players to the game and all, has some things to answer for when it comes to this sort of thing.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, that's what I figured. I feel like the quickstart set, while a good way to introduce new players to the game and all, has some things to answer for when it comes to this sort of thing.

Everyone needing their own damage deck is only a tournament rule. For casual play you can make do with one. The starter set doesn't assume you're going to buy one for two tournament players. :v:

Endman
May 18, 2010

The real problem with the starter set is that it only comes with three red and three green dice when you need four of each to use the ships that come in the box. :psyduck:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Endman posted:

The real problem with the starter set is that it only comes with three red and three green dice when you need four of each to use the ships that come in the box. :psyduck:

It seems much easier to reroll a dice for a "4th' than it does to produce a 2nd damage deck out of thin air.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm working here during the regional in Omaha and some of you goons are giving yourselves away by talking about SA and Lowtax :colbert:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

S.J. posted:

I'm working here during the regional in Omaha and some of you goons are giving yourselves away by talking about SA and Lowtax :colbert:

Bellevue? There's a few of the KC guys up there right now.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Strobe posted:

Bellevue? There's a few of the KC guys up there right now.

Yep! I'm the younger bald guy working :v:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Oh, I'm not up there right now, I just know that four guys went up there. Apparently one broke to top 8, but I don't know how he's been doing since.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Strobe posted:

Oh, I'm not up there right now, I just know that four guys went up there. Apparently one broke to top 8, but I don't know how he's been doing since.

Is he wearing a rebel flight outfit t-shirt? :v:

e: Landon from KC is playing against an Omaha guy at top table.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

S.J. posted:

Is he wearing a rebel flight outfit t-shirt? :v:

No idea! His name's Arron, though, if it helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Started strong at 4-0 then lost the last two to not get into top 8 at regionals. :( thankfully I got home early enough to watch MayPac :peanut:

• Locked thread