Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Clearly, then single class challenges should be done with a party of 4 so that there are no duplicates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I beat the Etreant! At level 53! Bwuh huh huh!

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

gannyGrabber posted:

I beat the Etreant! At level 53! Bwuh huh huh!

Etreant Odyssey is a pretty good series.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
MIKE down at 54! Woohoo!

E; Core down, and the crowd. goes. wiiiild!!

The Duchess Smackarse fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 2, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I was talking about Expert. On Normal, anything pretty much goes. Though honestly, that's the recommended level ranges. If you're creative, you can kill certain stuff at a way lower level than you're supposed to. Unfortunately, that does not apply to Etrian Mystery Dungeon.

If you're going solo, you HAVE to be level 60 by the end of this dungeon, or the boss will wipe you out. (He has 1900 HP.) And you need a good supply of stuff and you needed to have gotten a really strong weapon. The best way to do this is to explore every part of the dungeon in order to say on the curve, which turns this dungeon into a huge grind. Oh, and you have to do this at least three times to get all the drops. One of which is an uncommon drop, and the other of which is a conditional drop that no one knows how to get. (Why is Formaldehyde not a thing in this game?) I was actually having fun in this dungeon until I realized what the game expected of me. And no, going in with a full team is a bad idea. You'll have to deal with atrocious AI for 60 floors, and with the way the exp is split up, everyone is gonna end up way behind the curve by the time you get to the boss. If you even reach it in the first place. Whoever was behind the balance in this game did a terrible job.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Is there any plot value to going through Claret Hollows in story mode..?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

Is there any plot value to going through Claret Hollows in story mode..?

It's non-canon. You just get to see some more interactions between the story mode party.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's non-canon. You just get to see some more interactions between the story mode party.

OK, good. Claret Hollows is scary and I don't like it.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Those dungeons seem about right, PMD had plenty of them and they were also hard as crap, requiring you to bring Pokemon that learned good moves at Level 1, such as Charizard with Heat Wave. And poo poo rewards, they had them too.

Also when I (eventually) get the game, I'll be rolling with a team of 3. A team of 4 in PMD was really difficult to use and 3 was a bit tough, but okay. Honestly, a team of 2 heavy hitters would probably be fine.

Won't find out for another six months though.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Oh man, they actually bothered to create all the new tracks as chip tunes. Nice attention to detail!

What team should I go through classic with..?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

gannyGrabber posted:

Oh man, they actually bothered to create all the new tracks as chip tunes. Nice attention to detail!

What team should I go through classic with..?

Whatever it is, never not Ronin and Hexer

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

BattleMaster posted:

Whatever it is, never not Ronin and Hexer

Solo survivalist..??

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Ronin and Hexer is clearly the only unbiased choice here.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I thought beating story mode unlocked highlander/gunner? Is that not true?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

gannyGrabber posted:

I thought beating story mode unlocked highlander/gunner? Is that not true?

You can Newgame+ and bring Highlander and Ricky with you but you can never create new generic level 1 Highlander/Gunner.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Kinda lame! And her name is stuck as 'Ricky' forever and ever. :(

E; you can re-class any of the story characters into highlander/gunner. Weird.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Those dungeons seem about right, PMD had plenty of them and they were also hard as crap, requiring you to bring Pokemon that learned good moves at Level 1, such as Charizard with Heat Wave. And poo poo rewards, they had them too.

Also when I (eventually) get the game, I'll be rolling with a team of 3. A team of 4 in PMD was really difficult to use and 3 was a bit tough, but okay. Honestly, a team of 2 heavy hitters would probably be fine.

Won't find out for another six months though.

My main problem with the Phantom Depths isn't that it's tough, I actually like it for that. It's that it's a mandatory grindfest. If you're not going to every single floor and killing everything that gets in your way, you'll be underleveled for the boss. Playing like that is not my idea of a good time. Also the AI is more annoying to work with in EMD than in PMD because IQ skills aren't a thing. The AI is dumb, and there's nothing you can do about it other than outright disabling some of their skills.

Oh, and the way the level 1 dungeons work in this game is that all of your skills will carry over, so you can't just dive into them right away. You actually want to be at a high level so you'll have most of your skills maxed out when you go in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

My main problem with the Phantom Depths isn't that it's tough, I actually like it for that. It's that it's a mandatory grindfest. If you're not going to every single floor and killing everything that gets in your way, you'll be underleveled for the boss. Playing like that is not my idea of a good time. Also the AI is more annoying to work with in EMD than in PMD because IQ skills aren't a thing. The AI is dumb, and there's nothing you can do about it other than outright disabling some of their skills.

Oh, and the way the level 1 dungeons work in this game is that all of your skills will carry over, so you can't just dive into them right away. You actually want to be at a high level so you'll have most of your skills maxed out when you go in.

Eh, I went through them with level 1 characters because I found it more fun to level 'em up then to start out maxed. I never found them particularly grindy (though I didn't get whatever that conditional drop is) but I love the Shiren games and just played it like I do them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, I went through them with level 1 characters because I found it more fun to level 'em up then to start out maxed. I never found them particularly grindy (though I didn't get whatever that conditional drop is) but I love the Shiren games and just played it like I do them.

Huh. I must have done something wrong then. The first time through I was level 60 and had no trouble with the Demented King. My next time through I just went straight for him and then my Wanderer got his butt kicked. What was your general strategy for the Phantom Depths?

gannyGrabber posted:

E; you can re-class any of the story characters into highlander/gunner. Weird.

If you're coming from a NG+ Story Mode file in Classic, you can reclass any of the classic mode classes to Highlander and Gunner. Unfortunately, the classes keep their stat growths when they class change, so you're not actually using a Highlander or Gunner.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Dr. Fetus posted:

If you're coming from a NG+ Story Mode file in Classic, you can reclass any of the classic mode classes to Highlander and Gunner. Unfortunately, the classes keep their stat growths when they class change, so you're not actually using a Highlander or Gunner.

While you can't get a perfect match for their natural stat growths, they're both glass-cannony physical classes, so starting out as a Ronin or even Dark Hunter makes for a reasonable facsimile statwise.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Bear down

Let's see if berserker king is tougher

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

gannyGrabber posted:

Start a new game in Story Mode, go up to the point where you unlock Frederica, and then start a new game in Classic Mode before she regains her memories.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
EO4 is so much fun. I got an arcanist and I'm filled with team comp and build ideas.

For now I replaced the Nightseeker for one, Arcanist skills seem super strong.

Initially I was going to trashcan the Sniper but he did most of the heavy lifting on the Hollow boss while the Nightseeker was dead.

F-L
A-S-R

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
The secret is that Nightseeker is probably the strongest attacker in the game

Arcanist is great support though

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

EO4 is so much fun. I got an arcanist and I'm filled with team comp and build ideas.

For now I replaced the Nightseeker for one, Arcanist skills seem super strong.

Initially I was going to trashcan the Sniper but he did most of the heavy lifting on the Hollow boss while the Nightseeker was dead.

F-L
A-S-R

That's a good party! But what you REALLY want to work towards is something like this...

L-L-L
L-L

---

EOU talk. I manned up and am working through Claret Hollows. I made Raquna eat the stinkshrrom, and then ran away with her. Now she hates me :(

This dungeon is really mean, because every once in a while I run into 2 of those drat tree bastards and they hit me with the 300 dmg poison and everybody dies.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I just took down the heavenbringer with my 5 Runemasters at about level 56. I thought he'd be a roadblock, but nope, did it on the first try, took all of 7 turns or so. This has been far easier than a more traditional party, the whole game through. My characters are even surprisingly tanky, with endure on their Bushi subs and auto-revive on the one with a medic sub. I remember EO2 heavily favoring aggressive parties over defensive ones, but I think that might be even more true for EO4. You just don't notice it as much because just about any party is viable. We'll see how the post game goes, but I don't foresee any big issues, really. Maybe it's time to try to beat the chemical-less savior?

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Hivac posted:

The secret is that Nightseeker is probably the strongest attacker in the game

Arcanist is great support though

It's probably not a secret but until the stripper can wear a metal bikini or something she can stay at home. I'm not sure how subclassing works yet but I'm expecting to get the durability fixed somehow by it.

gannyGrabber posted:

That's a good party! But what you REALLY want to work towards is something like this...

L-L-L
L-L

---

EOU talk. I manned up and am working through Claret Hollows. I made Raquna eat the stinkshrrom, and then ran away with her. Now she hates me :(

This dungeon is really mean, because every once in a while I run into 2 of those drat tree bastards and they hit me with the 300 dmg poison and everybody dies.

That doesn't sound like a sporting party (for the enemies to handle).

Claret Hollows is a god forsaken shithole. It just gets worse and worse every floor, enemies and traps both. My personal favorite enemy was the root that instakills your entire party at the beginning of the 2nd turn. Getting ambushed by them was nice.
If I could take back the time I spent getting to the final floor and giving up on the final boss to play EO4 instead I'd do it in a heartbeat.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
You need to meet the crabs in Claret Hollows. They are your friends.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The enemies will leave you Dancing in the Depths.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm one more ambush insta wipe away from picnic difficulty...

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Having spent the last few days dealing with the Claret Hollows myself, I can honestly say that getting Iwa... er, the 4th stratum boss's King Grimoire turned all of those encounters from "A goddamn nightmare" to "manageable but still stressful." Floor designs were amazingly dickish, but pretty drat satisfying after enough party wipes let me finally figure things out, like the FOEs on the 29th floor and their movement patterns.

gently caress the 30F encounters though. gently caress 30F in general, actually.

While we're on the subject of EOU, though, can anyone give me any tips on dealing with the Yggdrasil Core? Patterns and ideal skills and such? I don't quite remember what the biggest problem I had with him was (I'm grinding up some retired characters and/or characters to retire at the moment), but pretty sure it was the amount of damage he did outpacing my healing...

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It's probably not a secret but until the stripper can wear a metal bikini or something she can stay at home. I'm not sure how subclassing works yet but I'm expecting to get the durability fixed somehow by it.

Subclassing doesn't change your classes stats at all unless you take certain passives on the subclass.

Nightseekers are glass cannons. They take a while to pick up in power, but they get pretty strong as the game goes on. A Fortress can provide enough defensive support to cover their frailty.

gannyGrabber posted:

I'm one more ambush insta wipe away from picnic difficulty...

Equip Jewel Eyes. In Untold, four arrows up on an accessory or a piece of armor means full immunity to the listed attribute.

BlackPersona posted:

While we're on the subject of EOU, though, can anyone give me any tips on dealing with the Yggdrasil Core? Patterns and ideal skills and such? I don't quite remember what the biggest problem I had with him was (I'm grinding up some retired characters and/or characters to retire at the moment), but pretty sure it was the amount of damage he did outpacing my healing...

Well, here's his pattern:

quote:

Phase 1: 90000 - 72900
Opening attack: Necrosis
- Explode, Freezing, Thunderstorm
- Land Slash or Demonic Rush
- Root Cyclone

Phase 2: 72900 - 54900
Opening attack: Segment (9999)
- Activate
- Entangling Ray, Necrosis, Ancient Pollen
- Cell Membrane
- Ancient Pollen, Entangle, Necrosis

Phase 3: 54900 - 36900
Opening attack: Segment (9999)
- Freezing, Thunderstorm, Explode | Land Slash or Demonic Rush
- Land Slash or Demonic Rush | Thunderstorm, Explode, Freezing (if it used a physical attack on the last turn it will use an elemental in this one and vise versa)
- Root Cyclone

Phase 4: 36900 - 0
Opening attack: Segment (24000)
- Entangling Ray, Necrosis, or Ancient Pollen
- Explode, Thunderstorm, Freezing
- Thunderstorm, Freezing, Explode | Root Cyclone
- Root Cyclone | Freezing, Explode, Thunderstorm (if it used a physical attack on the last turn it will use an elemental in this one and vise versa)
- Cell Membrane or Activate

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

BlackPersona posted:

gently caress the 30F encounters though. gently caress 30F in general, actually.

It's rather telling when the LEAST annoying enemy on this floor is a reskin of a bonus boss.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I beat all three dragons while under level 60 with my Runemasters :stare:. First try on all of them except I had to respec for the Storm Emperor after losing once, Galvanic Rune just wasn't doing enough damage even after the lightning resist debuff. I don't have enough Theriaca As available to try the Fallen One right now, but it looks rough at this level, I might have to work on the Hall of Darkness a bit first. Does he have a stronger arm bind resist than head and legs? Because Dead Claw is destroying me and he never seems to arm bind himself with Darkness Curse.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Subclassing doesn't change your classes stats at all unless you take certain passives on the subclass.

Nightseekers are glass cannons. They take a while to pick up in power, but they get pretty strong as the game goes on. A Fortress can provide enough defensive support to cover their frailty.

I was banking on the weapon skills mostly rather than the stats to get some form of a major fix. Specifically I was hoping to get the ability to wear heavy armor (and the parry skill) from sublassing to a Landsknecht or the ability to wield bows from a Sniper and stick the Nightseeker to the back row with two bows.

But if you don't get the weapons either Nightseeker probably doesn't fit my playing style.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

I was banking on the weapon skills mostly rather than the stats to get some form of a major fix. Specifically I was hoping to get the ability to wear heavy armor (and the parry skill) from sublassing to a Landsknecht or the ability to wield bows from a Sniper and stick the Nightseeker to the back row with two bows.

But if you don't get the weapons either Nightseeker probably doesn't fit my playing style.

You do get access to the weapon options of a class you subclass into, but using any of the Nightseeker's offensive skills requires you to have at least one sword or dagger equipped. The throwing skills do full damage from the back row, though, and switching rows doesn't use up your turn in EO4, so you can have the Nightseeker bounce between rows depending on what skill they're using that turn.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Could use some tips on the Chameleon King.

[ L/B | F/D | D/N ]
[ M/A | R/B ]

Level 42s across the board.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Bad Seafood posted:

[ L/B | F/D | D/N ]
[ M/A | R/B ]

A sniper would be useful since they unstealth when hit. You can also use poison circles to the same effect. Also you want your ice rune leveled up for it. Glacier rune with a link should help with damage if you reduce its ice resistance with that and it takes away the aoe move it likes to use.

Your party seems kind of low damage, especially the D/N when nightseekers are a better main class by far than dancer. Same with m/a since arcanist is a pretty bad subclass for anything other than taking ailment boost.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Bad Seafood posted:

[ L/B | F/D | D/N ]
[ M/A | R/B ]

You need to level up, Chameleon King is one of those rear end in a top hat bosses that are too strong for when you unlock them, much like the Baboon King.

If you're dead set on fighting him now, make sure you leg bind him so you can land hits and prevent him from going invisible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Burst Skills also are guaranteed to hit and undo his invisibility.

• Locked thread