Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
I've been on five fire calls this week. FD pretty much won't go anywhere without staging and waiting for us first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Untagged posted:

I've been on five fire calls this week. FD pretty much won't go anywhere without staging and waiting for us first.

Do they not have halligans and axes?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Vahakyla posted:

If it is the first due of fire, it's their responsibility. I never ever as a front seat officer would take a cop's evaluation of the scene about a thing that is my responsibility. And I never did. I always gave a small lecture about me calling them off at a DV house.

I've had podunk cops tell me the scene looks good and by the time we get there the car is in flames next to a garage. And medical calls are the worst when a cop gives us "an evaluation of the scene. "

"Yes, this scene looks good. The wreck looks horrible but the driver seems calm and is slowly walking around. Not screaming or complaining about pain. Looks good."

Jesus.

Imagine me in court saying "well you see the police officer, who knows nothing about fire rescue, said this and that."

Come on guys, would you take a fireman's advice on a gang fight?

Wait, you're a fireman now?

You do know that cops have little to no medical training so when you ask for an evaluation of the scene you get exactly that. We can't call ems without getting asked a thousand questions about the patient. gently caress I don't know that's why I called the FD. Whether they're breathing, walking, talking, or bleeding is about the best you're gonna get.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 3, 2015

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Vahakyla posted:

If it is the first due of fire, it's their responsibility. I never ever as a front seat officer would take a cop's evaluation of the scene about a thing that is my responsibility. And I never did. I always gave a small lecture about me calling them off at a DV house.

I've had podunk cops tell me the scene looks good and by the time we get there the car is in flames next to a garage. And medical calls are the worst when a cop gives us "an evaluation of the scene. "

"Yes, this scene looks good. The wreck looks horrible but the driver seems calm and is slowly walking around. Not screaming or complaining about pain. Looks good."

Jesus.

Imagine me in court saying "well you see the police officer, who knows nothing about fire rescue, said this and that."

Come on guys, would you take a fireman's advice on a gang fight?

I cancel the fire department all the time when its a false alarm. :shrug:

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

You do know that cops have little to no medical training so when you ask for an evaluation of the scene you get exactly that. We can't call ems without getting asked a thousand questions about the patient. gently caress I don't know that's why I called the FD. Whether they're breathing, walking, talking, or breathing is about the best you're gonna get.

Bro, if you make them get out of their recliners and put down the X-Box controllers long enough to respond, you're going to get a ration of poo poo. If he's walking and talking when you call it in and dies of pancreatic cancer before they get there, that's your loving fault for being a worthless ignoramus.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
No, I know there is little medical training. But that's why I don't want opinions or evaluations of the scene, and I don't like being told I should cancel and turn around. If I sat in the front, I had to write the report and affirm that all observations were true and verified and all that. So it might be different somewhere but it's silly to get all mad if people wanna cover their rear end in the area of their responsibility. Especially if I had to go see Chief about an old incident and he'd ask me and what if I had to say "welllll I never actually went there".

I was a Finnish Fireman before I went to the Army MP. After that, I came here and played Fireman again, in both Pittsburgh and PG County and little bit in Albemarle County, VA.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 3, 2015

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Vahakyla posted:

No, I know there is little medical training. But that's why I don't want opinions or evaluations of the scene, and I don't like being told I should cancel and turn around. If I sat in the front, I had to write the report and affirm that all observations were true and verified and all that. So it might be different somewhere but it's silly to get all mad if people wanna cover their rear end in the area of their responsibility. Especially if I had to go see Chief about an old incident and he'd ask me and what if I had to say "welllll I never actually went there".

I'm surprised that cops still try to call off the FD. Doesn't everyone know they roll no matter what? I do think their responses are a little overkill sometimes (like I mentioned before, 3-4 engines for a minor accident, or 3 engines for a simple smoke alarm in a small business).

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
granny needs a lift assist and the amberlamps is to weak to do it? Page FD and get 5 trucks.

Just kidding vollies won't respond unless they can run lights and try to get into accidents at stop signs.

Branis fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 3, 2015

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

They can wait, but I never had a take home, so...

I know it seemed like a weird question, but me and a friend were having a discussion on it and I figured, "what the gently caress, I'm sure no cop wants to have to clean poo poo or piss out of the back of their car.". No one seems to wonder about the little minutiae of the job like that.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
if you have a decent jail you can bribe a trustee with candy to clean out your back seat otherwise you are on your own. I worked with an old timer that used to take the inmate trustees outside for cigarettes if they cleaned out his car for him.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Some of the most despicable criminals I've ever met have been firemen. Thieving seems to come naturally to them

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Wait, you're a fireman now?

You do know that cops have little to no medical training so when you ask for an evaluation of the scene you get exactly that. We can't call ems without getting asked a thousand questions about the patient. gently caress I don't know that's why I called the FD. Whether they're breathing, walking, talking, or bleeding is about the best you're gonna get.

My answer to "is he x'ing normally" was always "I don't know what he x's like normally"

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I'm surprised that cops still try to call off the FD. Doesn't everyone know they roll no matter what? I do think their responses are a little overkill sometimes (like I mentioned before, 3-4 engines for a minor accident, or 3 engines for a simple smoke alarm in a small business).

It's easier to start calling engines off than to go "oh poo poo get me another response". Especially if you wanna go interior.

And the water tank is so tiny that you got water for couple good minutes and that is it, you want the next one be laying hose or the tanker hookinh up at that point already.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 3, 2015

JiimyPopAli
Oct 5, 2009
"Dispatch, one of the cars at this accident is leaking onto the road, can you get Fire to attend, tell them it isn't a rush we just need some absorb-all on the road"

Five minutes later: 3 trucks, lights and sirens.

Every time.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

JiimyPopAli posted:

"Dispatch, one of the cars at this accident is leaking onto the road, can you get Fire to attend, tell them it isn't a rush we just need some absorb-all on the road"

Five minutes later: 3 trucks, lights and sirens.

Every time.

poo poo, our tow man used to take care of the leaks. That guy was great.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Kiryen posted:

poo poo, our tow man used to take care of the leaks. That guy was great.

Yea I'm pretty sure DC Fire would laugh at me if I called them for absorbent. Our tow guys always carry it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Bravo posted:

"Dispatch, call off the PD. These guys look like pussies, I think we can take them."

I did ridealongs with a paid department in rural California and I can confirm this.

JiimyPopAli
Oct 5, 2009

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Yea I'm pretty sure DC Fire would laugh at me if I called them for absorbent. Our tow guys always carry it.

That would be so, so much better. But it gets the FD guys out of the station for a bit so they can pick up their chili ingredients, so they would probably be against it.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

A Paramedic (an instructor, no less) told me a story about how he arrived on the scene of a suicide. The cops + FD were already on scene and the guy still had the gun in his hand. He apparently tripped over the guy and the gun went off (without hitting anyone). He said that this was the fault of the police for not securing the weapon properly.

With that in mind, does anyone have any good stories involving EMTs/Paramedics? Asking as a soon-to-be EMT.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

E Depois do Adeus posted:

A Paramedic (an instructor, no less) told me a story about how he arrived on the scene of a suicide. The cops + FD were already on scene and the guy still had the gun in his hand. He apparently tripped over the guy and the gun went off (without hitting anyone). He said that this was the fault of the police for not securing the weapon properly.

Umm, no Mr. Instructor. Walk in, confirm he's dead, and walk out. Don't touch anything else.

Generally the gun stays where it does until the detectives and evidence guys arrive. Unless there are other circumstances or issues at play.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

With that in mind, does anyone have any good stories involving EMTs/Paramedics? Asking as a soon-to-be EMT.

Lol if you think I'm putting my fingerprints on the murder weapon. YEA OK, INTERNAL AFFAIRS.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

You wouldn't be afraid of IA if you didn't have anything to hide.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Working paid duty at a concert, this chick gets taken into custody for being ludicrously intoxicated. As were explaining this to her, she goes unconscious. EMS shows up and starts doing sternum rubs to wake her drunk rear end back up. She wakes up and immediately starts flipping out, trying to get away. The Emt's grab her and start wrestling with her, yelling"stop resisting" while five cops just stand there incredulous.

The role reversal was delicious. Once they had a grip on her I just leaned in and clicked on the cuffs and shackles. :smug:

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

Working paid duty at a concert, this chick gets taken into custody for being ludicrously intoxicated. As were explaining this to her, she goes unconscious. EMS shows up and starts doing sternum rubs to wake her drunk rear end back up. She wakes up and immediately starts flipping out, trying to get away. The Emt's grab her and start wrestling with her, yelling"stop resisting" while five cops just stand there incredulous.

The role reversal was delicious. Once they had a grip on her I just leaned in and clicked on the cuffs and shackles. :smug:

Cops stood by while an intoxicated female was sexually abused by a couple EMTs. Got it.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Cops stood by while an intoxicated female was sexually abused by a couple EMTs. Got it.

CAW CAW, CAW CAW

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Whip Slagcheek posted:

CAW CAW, CAW CAW

U wot m8??

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Yeah it was nice to see the love glove on the other hand for once

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

you're a blue falcon you fuckin ponce

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

krispykremessuck posted:

you're a blue falcon you fuckin ponce

Mods????

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
Which one of you said this?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

somewhatpathetic posted:

Which one of you said this?

I can't tell if it's viral marketing for Assassins Creed or some Sovereign/Moorish stuff.

ReebTop
May 17, 2003

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

...do you not know what a sternum rub is? I mean, it's considered inappropriate because it's unnecessarily painful and easily leaves marks, not because "they touched her near her boobies."

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

ReebTop posted:

...do you not know what a sternum rub is? I mean, it's considered inappropriate because it's unnecessarily painful and easily leaves marks, not because "they touched her near her boobies."

Someone's irony detector needs maintenance.

ReebTop
May 17, 2003

Kiryen posted:

Someone's irony detector needs maintenance.

I have no idea what to expect from Shep anymore. I miss the sarcasm tags, they made the forums so much easier for simple people like me.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

ReebTop posted:

I have no idea what to expect from Shep anymore.

Awesome posting, mostly. We should get together and rub sternum's sometime. :forkbomb:

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Pretending to be unconscious? Jam your thumb in to their mandibular nerve, they will move quicker than poo poo through a goose.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ReebTop posted:

When was a sternum rub deemed "inappropriate"? I use it to wake up drunks all the time.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

When was a sternum rub deemed "inappropriate"? I use it to wake up drunks all the time.

"The Boobies" thing. Although I find that funny, because if they can't wake you up rescue cuts off your shirt to start attaching leads and then the bitties are displayed for all to see.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I've seen DC Fire use the sternum rub on people I couldn't wake up multiple times. I usually call them and let them have the fun because touching homeless people, ew. :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm like 90% sure sternum rubs are standard procedure for checking if someone is responsive to pain or not

• Locked thread