Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

-Atom- posted:

Luke Thomas rules

He's definitely not the worst but I wouldn't go that far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

He made a bunch of these gimmick videos that just made him look like a douche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1C1AEomaq4

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Photographic evidence of Luke Thomas about to accept payment for an interview. The lack of ethics in mma journalism is truly appalling

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
He looks like a giant, bearded baby.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
His head is as large as Tito's

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Bluedeanie posted:

Photographic evidence of Luke Thomas about to accept payment for an interview. The lack of ethics in mma journalism is truly appalling

:thurman:

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Bluedeanie posted:

Photographic evidence of Luke Thomas about to accept payment for an interview.

lmao

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
here's a funny story about werdum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K9Ocv3OhPY

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

This rules.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Bluedeanie posted:

:lol:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Malki Kawa is now saying that stripping Bones was unfair.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I hope Jones does a sit down interview where he complains about how persecuted he is.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

He's right.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There was a video the UFC posted on their Facebook page but I can't find it anywhere else. It was a highlight reel of Ronda mostly tossing around Meisha and then one of her KOing Alexis Davis. The posted it with #shedon'tneed12rounds.

I also saw a tweet from the fake ray rice's wife account that said something like "my husband hits harder than maywether."

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Bluedeanie posted:

lol

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
E im dumbt.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

1st AD posted:

I hope Jones does a sit down interview where he complains about how persecuted he isdoes cocaine on camera.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

attackmole posted:

E im dumbt.

Some would say that meeting Tito is, of course, the real gift.

It's a joke about Tito paying sparring partners with gear

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Joe Rogan suggests head trauma as possible explanation for Jon Jones’ lack of ‘impulse control’

quote:

While Rogan was quick to ponder whether drugs had a role to play in Jones' decision to flee the scene, he also suggested another possible explanation: head trauma.

"You can't hit someone with a car and leave the scene of the crime. It is a crime, but there are things that people do because they have brain damage. That's where the real question comes up. Obviously they're responsible ultimately for their own actions, but what is it that's responsible for making them do that action?"

Although not meant as an excuse in Jon's favour, Rogan followed up by explaining that there is a correlation between head trauma and a lack of impulse control that could likely explains some of the baffling decisions that Jones' has taken recently.

"If the brain is getting damaged and if we have proven that some of the issues with people that have brain damage is impulse control you've got to wonder when you see fighters do wild, crazy s**t, how much of that is due to getting bonked in the f***ing head all the time?"

:allears: Maybe Jon just needs to take some Alpha Brain to get that noggin working properly again.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Man with history of cocaine usage acts erratically and impulsively. Experts stumped.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Joe Rogan sure has some interesting theories about things

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
If it's like the other joe Rogan quotes it's out of context from a 3 hour long conversation

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I thought Joe was going for 'well he might have hit his head in the accident and was a bit out of it' angle, but nope.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I mean what Joe's saying kind of stands to reason

Like "let's take this cocaine enthusiast built from dusted marble, concuss him into expensive cat ownership, fill him with money until it's coming out of and then back into his nose, and cattle prod anyone that tells him no. What's that? He's whipping baby pandas at passers by from a Bently made of gold and hedonism? Quelle suprise!"

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah that quote is from a podcast last week with a vegan and is taken just a bit out of context.

Nierbo posted:

I thought Joe was going for 'well he might have hit his head in the accident and was a bit out of it' angle, but nope.

Either him or his guest bring this up actually.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah, Rogan was not nearly as confident or definitive about it as the article implies. It was a very long conversation where one of the topics was the consequences of head trauma, and when they briefly talked about Jon Jones, Rogan offered it up as a "maybe this is contributing to his impulsiveness, but who knows" kinda thing.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Rogan's great for a sound bite aye

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
gotta give it to the man, he does question everything

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

MMAFighting posted:

Ater a dozen years, the UFC Hall of Fame is undergoing a transformation in an attempt to make it both more legitimate as an entity, and to eventually have some form of a legitimate physical structure.

The company announced on Tuesday that it will induct a new class on July 11, at the Fan Expo the afternoon of UFC 189. There will be likely five inductees in four categories. The announcement noted at least one person from four different categories will be inducted each year between 2015 and 2017, as a way to establish the new criteria. With one of the categories being a legendary match, that would mean two inductees from that category.

After 2017, candidates will be chosen from those categories, but not necessarily one from every category each year.

The categories announced are the Modern Era Wing, the Pioneers Era Wing, the Contributors Wing and the Fight Wing.

The Modern Era Wing will be for those who made their professional MMA debut after November 17, 2000. To be eligible, a fighter must have either passed the age of 35, or have been retired for one calendar year. It is noted that active fighters past 35 are eligible, but not preferable.

The November 17, 2000, date is symbolic based on the adoption of the current "Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts" by the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board.

The Pioneer Era Wing would be for fighters who debuted prior to that date. They also must be at least 35 years old, although every legitimate Hall of Fame candidate who debuted prior to that date is going to be past 35.

The Contributors Wing is for non-fighters, for either individuals, or groups of individuals, who have made outstanding or historical contributions to the sport. There are no age limits when it comes to this category and the contributors can still be active in the sport.

Contributors would be officials, referees, judges, trainers, commissioners, commentators, promoters and others associated with the sport in a non-competition role. The noting of groups could mean the group that organized the original UFC and led to its formation such as Art Davie, Campbell McLaren, Rorion Gracie and Bob Meyrowitz, who worked together on the first show, or including David Isaacs, who ran the promotion for several years before the Zuffa purchase in 2001.

The final category is the Fight Wing, which will honor the greatest fights in UFC history. For an historical perspective, all fights considered must have taken place at least five calendar years prior to the induction. For the July 11 class, the fight inducted would have to have taken place prior to December 31, 2010.

"The UFC Hall of Fame has an important job -- it not only celebrates greatness but it helps pass stories of the greatest athletes and fights in UFC history on to the next generation of fight fans," said UFC President Dana White. "We're looking forward to announcing the class of 2015 and what is going to be a great induction event on July 11."

White also noted that there are preliminary plans to house a physical UFC Hall of Fame location in Las Vegas.

In addition, there are plans going forward to make the annual inductions a major event on the UFC calendar, similar to Hall of Fame ceremonies in other sports.

One of the key reasons for the categories is to remove criticism of two past inductees, Charles "Mask" Lewis, who started the Tapout clothing line, a key figure in the early days of the sport, but who never fought, and Stephan Bonnar, who was never a UFC champion or top contender, but whose fight with Forrest Griffin can be argued was the most important fight in UFC history.

By this criteria, Royce Gracie, Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn, Randy Couture, Mark Coleman, Chuck Liddell, Matt Hughes, Tito Ortiz and Pat Miletich are in the Pioneer Era Hall of Famers. Forrest Griffin is the lone Modern Era fighter. Lewis is the lone Contributor and the April 9, 2005, fight with Griffin vs. Bonnar is the first fight.

It is noted that fighters can be inducted in two different categories, like Griffin, so famous fights like Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva, Ortiz vs. Frank Shamrock or Hughes vs. Frank Trigg would be eligible. Of course, there are issues there, in the sense Wanderlei Silva and Shamrock are at odds with the promotion currently.

There also becomes arguments over fights with great historical significance, such as Matt Serra's upset over Georges St-Pierre or Couture's final championship win over Tim Sylvia, or legendary wars like Chan Sung Jung vs. Leonard Garcia or Diego Sanchez vs. Clay Guida.

The selections will be made annually by the UFC internally, with White as the leader of the panel.

Frank Shamrock would also double as one of the strongest Pioneer Era Wing candidates based on UFC record, although it would surprise people for an induction since White has been negative when his name has been brought up in the past due to his being at odds with the promotion. Based on the criteria, the strongest Pioneer Era Wing candidate would actually be Anderson Silva, since his first MMA fight was in 1997.

It is noted that this is a UFC Hall of Fame, but overall career achievements or contributions to the sport are noted. That becomes tricky. Fedor Emelianenko, for example, is a clear cut first ballot MMA Hall of Famer, but he never once fought in UFC. Fighters like Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Wanderlei Silva, Kazushi Sakuraba and Mirko Cro Cop are all strong MMA Hall of Fame candidates, and have fought in UFC, but their reasons for being Hall of Famers would be their fights and tenure in the Pride Fighting Championships. But UFC owns and markets the Pride, WEC and Strikeforce libraries and is attempting to get rights to all of the significant MMA libraries for its Fight Pass streaming service.

Another question has to do with retirement. St-Pierre should be a slam-dunk first year candidate. It has been more than one year since he has fought. But he has not officially said he's retired, even though he may never fight again. At this point, you probably need the 35th birthday, which would mean, if he announces his retirement or not, he would be eligible next year. Anderson Silva, the other strongest candidate not already in based on his UFC records, would be eligible now, having passed the age of 35 years ago.

B.J. Penn, now 36, would also be eligible, as would active fighters Frank Mir, Lyoto Machida, Rashad Evans, Vitor Belfort and Rampage Jackson based on their ages. Also eligible would be former heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar.

There is the steroid question with Silva, but Gracie and Shamrock are in with steroid test failures. In the case of Gracie and Shamrock, their positive tests were for fights that took place after their inductions.

Based on the establishment of the categories, the positive is that with them, there are no undeserving inductees already in. There should be little argument for Griffin vs. Bonnar as a fight, while there was criticism of Bonnar as a Hall of Famer caliber fighter.

White in the past has talked about inducting the entire cast of the first season of The Ultimate Fighter, which becomes tricky. All are fighters, but most would better fit as Contributors given Griffin was the only fighter from that first season ever to win a championship.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
that's cool but it's kind of funny that Anderson could take pride of place next to Ken Shamrock

mewse
May 2, 2006

It's freaking ridiculous that Fedor won't get inducted into the UFC hall of fame

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

mewse posted:

It's freaking ridiculous that Fedor won't get inducted into the UFC hall of fame

he didn't fight in the ufc, despite ridiculous offers being thrown at him

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

As long as Sakuraba gets in I'm cool

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I feel legendary match is a slippery slope that you could slip on and fall down. The examples they gave were Fight of the Year winners when I would argue almost none of them are historically significant, they're just cool fights. Shoulda called it Cool Fights but that's just me.

Like Jung vs Garcia was a fun featherweight fight but Aldo vs Edgar is more "legendary" as far as the players involved. Heck and hell, even Faber vs Aldo that happened later on the same card I feel is more significant match than Lenoard Garcia whiffing four hundred punches.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

he didn't fight in the ufc, despite ridiculous offers being thrown at him

If only

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
it's the UFC hall of fame not MMA the sport, who cares

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
the loving dude who wrecked his Ferrari is in the god drat hall of fame for fucks sake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
If you take morality of decency into account that field is going to narrow a lot. Or how about positive PED tests? Is there going to be a sliding scale from "Coleman is the MMA dad we forgive him" to "Jon Jones?"

• Locked thread