Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

Are any of y'all going to Soak? Its the Portland regional burn. I'm going for my 4th year, arriving EA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop

This is quality.

GunChicka
Dec 5, 2014

bang bang
So when do you start on the journey and have you gotten a better baby carrier for your water yet?

Edit: whoops, saw the thread title and assumed this was the new walking like crazy thread.

Green Mind
Aug 5, 2007

Said it's ok...
Anyone in Reno want to just hang out? Don't have tickets for this year but me and my gf want to go next year. We're looking to meet some cool folks and get involved.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone going to Ignite? Happy to see VA getting its burn on

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

Green Mind posted:

Anyone in Reno want to just hang out? Don't have tickets for this year but me and my gf want to go next year. We're looking to meet some cool folks and get involved.

I live here! Do you?

Green Mind
Aug 5, 2007

Said it's ok...

Alfajor posted:

I live here! Do you?

Yeah! We moved here in August. How's the local scene? My gf knows some people that go every year but they live in Austin. I've seen the burner hotel but we heard it was members only.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Turtle Blogger posted:

Are any of y'all going to Soak? Its the Portland regional burn. I'm going for my 4th year, arriving EA

I miss my Portland family and I miss a roadside attraction.

Question for the group; What's the policy on posting gofundme's for theme camps here? I'm in the process of building a haunted house by night and freakshow by day and will be test running it at Florida Afterburn this year before bringing it to the big burn next year. I have been wanting to do this camp since my first burn and have an amazing team of people with loads of experience, I just want to make it as epic as possible.

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 9, 2015

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Get mod permission is always a safe bet, unless you don't care about possibly getting banned.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Throwdown posted:

I miss my Portland family and I miss a roadside attraction.

Question for the group; What's the policy on posting gofundme's for theme camps here? I'm in the process of building a haunted house by night and freakshow by day and will be test running it at Florida Afterburn this year before bringing it to the big burn next year. I have been wanting to do this camp since my first burn and have an amazing team of people with loads if experience, I just want to make it as epic as possible.

This sounds loving awesome. Can't wait to see it. It sounds like you guys have it under control but would love to help or at least be a parttime spooker. I live out of state but rick and storm are my family so I try to get out to help set up CKT on thursday. Where do you live?

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

This sounds loving awesome. Can't wait to see it. It sounds like you guys have it under control but would love to help or at least be a parttime spooker. I live out of state but rick and storm are my family so I try to get out to help set up CKT on thursday. Where do you live?

I live in Tampa, Rick and Storm are awesome and CKT is my usual camp, lol. This is Nemo.

Edit: Hit me up on Facebook, i'm in the Florida burns group, just search for Nemo and I will add you to the Haunted house group. Only slack I got was from some raver kid and he actually told me burns should be about PLUR... So I named the camp "Pain, Loathing, Unrest, and Rot"

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 9, 2015

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Cool, I received mod approval to post the gofundme for the haunted house.

http://www.gofundme.com/ty46d4

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
Just got home from the Kentucky Regional burn! It was seriously the best year ever! Now to start gearing up for Transformus! Anyone else headed to NC?

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

Just got home from the Kentucky Regional burn! It was seriously the best year ever! Now to start gearing up for Transformus! Anyone else headed to NC?

Considering it, depends on burning man funds. Had a blast at rainformus last year.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Well, it looks like my theme camp arrangements are falling apart so I either have to find a new place to camp or just set up in tent city :(

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx
For you Bay Area folk, we could definitely use help building the temple (please sign up at https://www.shiftboard.com/templeofpromise/)!

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

The burning man subreddit has become the first place I've been banned from. I made a lovely joke about hippies paying taxes.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop

Throwdown posted:

Well, it looks like my theme camp arrangements are falling apart so I either have to find a new place to camp or just set up in tent city :(

It's pretty early in the year - I'm sure you could find something new to hang on to? Have you tried scouting out your local area? Last year I helped a UK burner get relocated from an art car camp that was pretty stressful and miserable to the local London camp and she had a fine old time - it's totally doable!

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
PS: Having my (goon) wedding on Sept 1st (Tuesday), followed by a massive party all day and night at our theme camp. All goons welcome to attend

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Approved theme camps are up, no placement yet. My camp was approved, celebrate :cheers:

https://www.burningman.org/event/brc/2015-theme-camps/

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
This year we have been talking about collecting camp dues through Venmo, has anyone had problems with this approach in the past?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

salted hash browns posted:

This year we have been talking about collecting camp dues through Venmo, has anyone had problems with this approach in the past?

Google Wallet could be a better option.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

salted hash browns posted:

It's working fine for us.

The only limit on venmo is that each user can only send $3k per week. There's no limit on receiving, so you can have everyone pay one guy and then distribute from there. With a little organization and planning, there really shouldn't be any reason your camp needs to move more than $3k per week around

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

mitztronic posted:

It's working fine for us.

The only limit on venmo is that each user can only send $3k per week. There's no limit on receiving, so you can have everyone pay one guy and then distribute from there. With a little organization and planning, there really shouldn't be any reason your camp needs to move more than $3k per week around

Perfect. Thank you!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
http://www.rgj.com/story/news/2015/06/26/blm-wants-vip-compound-burning-man/29318493/

quote:

BLM wants $1 million VIP compound from Burning Man

Among the amenities included in the request are flushing toilets to be cleaned daily by Burning Man staff, a laundry with washers and dryers, on-demand hot water, air conditioning, vanity mirrors, refrigerators and couches.

BLM officials contend that their staff can no longer stay in the "primitive" accommodations available in Gerlach, which is about 20 minutes from the event location.

"We're very concerned about where we put people that are part of our staff and that are part of the support and permitting," said BLM Winnemucca District Manager Gene Seidlitz.

"It's safe to say that if you were working 14 to 16 hours a day in white-out conditions on the hot playa, you don't want them to be unrested.

Details of the request were included in an email exchange obtained by the RGJ between a Burning Man official and Bob Abbey, the former BLM director who is now a consultant for Burning Man organizers.

"Having been a career BLM employee, I expect agency employees to behave competently and professionally in their interactions with the public," Abbey said in his email. "I don't see these traits being applied in their dealings with (Black Rock City)."

Abbey went on to say that BLM won't "change their strategy of threatening your permit until you agree to everything they are demanding including the latest BS proposal for providing VIP facilities for law enforcement and (Department of Interior) officials."

BLM Special Agent Dan Love of Salt Lake City was cited multiple times as the person behind many of the BLM requests, according to the emails. He did not return requests for comment. Love also led the BLM operation against Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy that ended in a standoff with Bundy's armed supporters.

Who are the VIPs?

While one map names some of the government officials who will be staying at the compound, it does not name the dozen or so "VIPs."

The RGJ has filed a Freedom of Information Act request for the schedules of federal officials who could be at the event.

Fat little piggy went to market free butter.

http://www.rgj.com/story/news/2015/06/26/blm-demands-burning-man-provide-hour-access-ice-cream/29357065/

quote:

BLM demands Burning Man provide 24-hour access to ice cream

Choco Tacos, M&Ms, licorice and Chobani Greek Yogurt are just a few of the food items officials for the U.S. Bureau of Land Management are demanding Burning Man organizers provide them at this year's festival, according to documents obtained by the Reno Gazette-Journal.

Those demands by the BLM, unprecedented in Burning Man's history, have turned into a point of contention as organizers negotiate with the agency for their annual permit to stage the event in the Black Rock Desert this summer.

Mandatory Items for Breakfast

• Butter and margarine

Mandatory Items for Hot Lunch/ Dinners

• Butter and margarine

Mandatory items for 24 Hour Service Bar

... Including but not limited to the following: Personal pizzas, Hot Pockets, burritos, noodle cups, M&Ms, Snickers, Payday, Skittles, licorice, jerky, meat and cheese snacks, cookies, brownies, protein bars, nuts, chips, popcorn, fresh fruit, apples, oranges, bananas, etc.

Ice Cream: This needs to be in a standalone freezer for ice cream available all day long

• Drumstick

• Choco Taco

• Individual served ice cream assorted flavors

• Popsicles

• Ice cream sandwiches

Lunch and Hot Dinners

• Steak -10 oz. (boneless) or 14 oz. (bone-in), or Beef - 10 oz. (boneless) or 14 oz. (bone-in), or

• Beef and Pork Ribs - 10 oz. (boneless) or 18 oz. (bone-in), or Pork - 10 oz. (boneless) or 14 oz. (bone-in),, or Poultry - 8 oz. (boneless) or 14 oz. (bone-in), or Ham - 8 oz. (boneless) or 12 oz. (bone-in), or Fish - 8 oz.

Menu Variety

Menu items shall provide variety on a daily basis as to the types of meat and bread used in sandwiches, other sack lunch entrees, snacks, juices and other meal items served. Menus may include a wide variety of recipes. The following are examples of variety options.

• Meat

• Beef

• Steaks - rib, loin, T-bone, New York, sirloin, cubed, filet and pepper steak.

• Roast - Prime rib and sliced roast.

• Short Ribs - baked, broiled and barbecued.

• Ground Beef - lasagna, meat loaf, meatballs in spaghetti sauce and ground beef patties.

• Pork

• Chops - loin cut, spare-ribs, country style ribs and barbecued.

• Roast - sliced and tenderloin.

• Ham - sliced.

• Sausage

• Chops - grilled and barbecued.

• Roast - sliced.

• Poultry

• Sliced, or whole pieces or parts (such as breast, thigh or leg).

• Fish - grilled, baked fillets or steaks.

• Processed Meat Items - pastrami, Polish/Italian sausage and corned beef.

• Breakfast Meat - ham, bacon, sausage, steak and pork chops.

I edited the longass list obviously, but seriously...

Butter, Butter, Candy, Candy, Candy, Candy, Candy, Meat, Meat, Meat, Meat, Meat, Meat, Meat, Meat, Meat, Meat.

The piggies want the ticket sales to let them have a free billionaire campout in the desert.

http://www.rgj.com/story/news/2015/06/26/reid-want-toilets-burning-man-go-gerlach/29357821/

quote:

Reid to BLM: You want flush toilets at Burning Man? Go to Gerlach

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., sent a letter Friday to Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell following the Reno Gazette-Journal's investigation into lavish demands the U.S. Bureau of Land Management made to Burning Man organizers.

Rep. Mark Amodei, R-Nev., also reacted to the news that BLM is demanding Burning Man provide a $1 million encampment for federal agents at the event this summer. He said he's concerned about the ethics of BLM's request.

quote:

BLM officials contend that their staff can no longer stay in the "primitive" accommodations available in Gerlach

Mandatory ChocoTacos!

Its almost like the BLM doesnt actually .. care about the land all that much?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
It's a government shakedown.

"In 2011, Burning Man paid $858,000; in 2012, $1.4 million and in 2013, $2.9 million.
This year, Burning Man expects the additional requirements alone to cost between $1 million and $1.2 million, which would bring total dues paid to the BLM to nearly $5 million, Graham said. Burning Man's special recreation permit is the largest in the country."

Last year was $4M. gently caress them. This should be illegal.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
BMorg doesn't publish their financials so I can't find exact numbers from them regarding ticket sales or costs to put on the festival but I definitely don't feel bad for them regarding land use fees. Nevada should be able to reap the benefits of an annual festival attended by 70,000 people with deep pockets. BMorg takes in more money in ticket sales than it spend on logistics, facilities, staff, and art grants, I'm sure they can spare a few million for land use permits.

Not that that's an excuse for the ludicrous demands of the police with that stupid cop village they want...

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 28, 2015

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

BMorg doesn't publish their financials so I can't find exact numbers from them regarding ticket sales or costs to put on the festival but I definitely don't feel bad for them regarding land use fees. Nevada should be able to reap the benefits of an annual festival attended by 70,000 people with deep pockets. BMorg takes in more money in ticket sales than it spend on logistics, facilities, staff, and art grants, I'm sure they can spare a few million for land use permits.

Not that that's an excuse for the ludicrous demands of the police with that stupid cop village they want...

mitztronic posted:

"2011 - $858,000
2012, $1.4 million
2013, $2.9 million
2014, $4 million
2015, $5 million+

explain how this cost increase is reasonable?

edit: found this, they've posted more detailed info for 2013 somewhere online as well: http://burningman.org/event/preparation/ticket-money/

edit 2: Forgot to post this aritcle I saw today: http://www.rgj.com/story/news/2015/06/26/reid-want-toilets-burning-man-go-gerlach/29357821/

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 28, 2015

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I'm glad Harry Reid told his own guys to quit acting like whiney bratty children. It was pretty obvious they put in that request as a gently caress you to BMorg with absolutely no expectation of it being fulfilled. Gerlach could use the extra patronage anyway.

Forbes estimated about $25 million in profit from ticket sales in 2014 (http://fortune.com/2014/08/29/burning-mans-bacchanal-big-ticket-sales-big-costs/) and it's certainly an event (and full time company) full of expenses, but BM does rake in the dough. They don't even have to worry about the talent/musician fees most other festivals have to endure. They pay some staff but an even bigger army of volunteers help keep the festival running.

$5 million is definitely a gouge by BLM and it's unfair at the least to Burning Man but I get the impression it's not an expense they can't reasonably afford. Nevada needs BM more that we need them so there's always going to be that pressure too.

I'm surprised BM only gives out $1 million in art grants too, I thought it would be significantly more in support of the arts at the festival.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

. They don't even have to worry about the talent/musician fees most other festivals have to endure.

They also don't get merch and alcohol profits, which for the typical 3 day festival I imagine amounts to millions of dollars

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 28, 2015

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
When I read that article I just assumed that BLM was jealous of the sweet BM commissary.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
I had to drop out of the Florida Burns art grant committee this year as I am test running my new theme camp and will be applying. I plan on traveling with this next year to a lot of regional burns as it grows and eventually having it on the playa. We had our first build meeting yesterday and it went great, I couldn't be more happier with my crew. Since this is my first time leading a major theme camp I was wondering if you guys could have a look over my proposal and let me know what you think. I didn't include my budget list as it is incomplete while I wait for section leads to get back with me.

quote:

Camp Creepshow
“Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places” - H.P Lovecraft

Come one, come all! Step right up ladies and gents and pay witness to the greatest show on this plane of existence or any other! On one side we have before you a structure of the upmost curiosity, the barracks as you will for the carnivals talent and single reason this carnival has been off limits until recently, so please enter at your own risk. Some guess that the structure itself is flickering between our world and one the human mind cannot comprehend, it truly is a place of wonder but only for those who wish to test the boundaries of their sanity. Enter at your own risk and realize, this is your choice, your radical self-reliance, one that should not be taken lightly.

Over here feast your eyes on amazing wonders sacrificing mind, body, and soul with the sole purpose of bringing the freaks straight to you, our lovely and lascivious patrons have the chance to enter into our bizarre realm and partake of the fruit of our twisted minds. Life is a hideous and rotten thing that is decaying before our very eyes, and from the backdrop behind what we know demonical pieces of truth which when comprehended reveal a "reality" a thousand fold more hideous. There are few personages who know truly what wonders are opened to them in the stories and visions of their youth; for when as children we listen and dream, we think but half-formed thoughts, thoughts that brought us awe, wonder, and inspiration. And when as adults we try to remember, we are dulled and prosaic the magic has been replaced with the poison of life. The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown. Step through and experience that which you have lost. And perhaps you will find wonder again. Welcome to Camp Creepshow!

Now that we are past the flavor text I would like to explain what this camp is about and its goals. First and foremost, we want something different; we came up with a carnival of horrors theme camp complete with a full haunted house. This camp came to me at the burn with the ferris wheel effigy and has stuck with me since, in a sense it is my dream camp finally coming together with a crew that is more than I could possibly ever hope for. Each and every one of us is an expert in our fields. During working hours (night time) for the haunted house we will have what I am calling a “Sanctuary Crew”, I am fully aware that some of the things going on could make things rough for some people which in turn, we will have a barker booth announcing for people to enter at their own risks and signs up with warnings. This does not mean that the faint of heart will not be able to enjoy the camp, there will be so much more involved that will keep people entertained such as stilt walking/jumping, jugglers, talent shows, etc. This is also a green camp, we will have recycling and trash receptacles, things commonly used at carnivals that are considered M.O.O.P. will not be used most of our members are seasoned burners and know better. Beforehand, at our live meet and greets I will be stressing to our members that I do not want to see any trash left lying around. A small group will be assigned to LNT crew throughout the weekend and everyone involved in the camp will be sweeping the area for MOOP after breakdown.

Activities

(Really quick, one of our members is an EMT who will be there with full gear; I will also be there with a breathalyzer for anyone wanting to participate in suspensions or the fire circle)

A full on modular haunted house, we are making it modular to adjust for the plot that we receive (This is a huge camp and I am hoping to stay away from the nosebleed sections as a lot is based around traffic and our barkers bringing people in, we are also investing a lot on decorating and making the entrance as authentic as possible). There will also be sound running through the haunt playing ambiance to add to the experience. Rules have already been set, there is to be no touching whatsoever, we are not using animatronics as that is pretty drat lame but already have a full cast who will be our “spooks” so to speak. Jean-Paul who has 13 years’ experience with Howl-o-Scream, Bob Warner who has 20 years’ experience building and running haunts, as well as Nicole Alcaro will be our leads for the haunt itself

Live suspension shows for experienced suspension artists/professionals and a few going up for the first time, this requires needles, different types of hooks, and bio equipment which will all be listed in the budget list. Accompanying the suspension will be a closed off clean room where we will be prepping for the suspension. Everyone involved in the piercings are licensed professionals and OSHA certified. At all times the suspended will have a spotter crew checking for cleanliness and offering support. Suspensions have been going on at the burns for quite a while now with no incident, but this go around I plan on setting up our clean area the same exact way you would see at a professional piercing studio. The only ones allowed inside will be the suspenders, suspended and spotters, gloved and washed by hospital standards. We also have a pre-built cube custom made for stationary suspensions, if we plan on swinging it will be done on a rig specially built for such a thing or a large branch that will be tested beforehand. All grey water from this section will be properly contained and disposed of offsite.

A stage where we will be holding the talent/freak shows all weekend, one end will also act as our primary DJ booth for the weekend. There is a strict rule at the camp of no happy EDM or Jam Bands, people can’t walk 10 feet without hearing the bass drop and I want to start adding variety to the Florida burns. Music listings include things such as Goth, Industrial, Metal, Punk, 80’s, Old Wave, new wave, etc. This is part of our day time activities along with many other activities in store for the kiddies (a roast of Brian Wiener is being planned). Suspensions will also be involved in our day time shenanigans. One side note; we will be adhering to burnt oranges sound policy very strictly and then some. We know our music selection may be a bit different and will be setting speakers up so that the main focal point of the sound is in our camp

Saturday night Halloween costume party, this is exactly as it sounds.

We will have an area to do FX prosthetics and make up, this is not only for our camp, anyone at the burn is able to come and get painted up. Our crew for makeup is absolutely amazing; I will include some of the work that has come out of these individuals. I have two people on creative design, professional face painters so to speak and two on prosthetics.

Matt White will be providing special effects such as laser shows, tunneling and all that jazz. We will also be using chilled fog machines to get that low to ground fog effect around our camp.

A ghost ship acting as a dance floor and hang out spot. The ship in question is the one from last AB and PH at Matt Whites camp, this time decorated to become a haunted ghost ship so to speak. This will also be the location of one of our bars.

A main bar serving only specialty drinks that fit the theme of the camp. Indy Glo is bar lead and has come up with quite a few specialty concoctions. She has put quite a bit of time and effort into perfecting the recipes that I am sure will be an absolute hit.

A chill zone that consists playing horror movies all weekend, I have already decided that the screen will be pointed away from the burn in case people passing by are not in the mindset to see a horror movie.

A separate sound section which will be piped directly into the haunted house using small computer speakers, this is to add ambient sound to the experience.

Friday night fire show in conjunction with Hippytrix and a full fire circle the rest of the weekend including extinguishers, nomex blankets and safety staff at all times. The circle will be controlled and away from anything that could pose a possible risk, breathalyzers will be on hand and I plan on working very closely with CATS. It is possible that two fire puffers will be utilized.

Constant talents throughout the day in front of camp such as stilt walkers/jumpers, fire eating/breathing clowns, jugglers, and a barker podium. The recruitment phase is coming from our talent/freak show members.

Workshops for costuming, costume makeup, juggling, stilt walking, fire eating, and throwing your own haunt. There will be more to come on this one but those are the main ones off the top of my head.

A hearse with a coffin as a decorative center piece, this is highly dependent on the space we will have, it will probably be parked right next to the entryway to the haunted house

Last but not least; Bloody marys will be served as a special treat in the mornings, how could you possibly have a horror based camp and not serve bloody marys?

Community Involvement

Within the planning phase itself I have been consulted by a large amount of members wanting to help in some way with this camp, many of whom are camping elsewhere, I am still in shock and awe at the positive responses received since my first announcement even from those who won’t enter a haunted house. The planning phase actually began a few years ago by me, when I attended the burn with the ferris wheel effigy, it reminded me of an adult carnival and every carnival needs a haunted house. Main planning phase began around the time of preheat and has been booming since then with weekly meetings by the leads to our first build day tomorrow 6/28/15, reoccurring every week up until Afterburn. Originally planned as a haunted house, thanks to the support and involvement by the community it has grown into something much larger with the additions of the suspensions, bar, freak/talent show, and workshops. Many have signed up as build crew and yet again, quite a few of these lovely people are involved with other camps, they are just amazingly psyched about this camp and want to see it happen. Bob Warner, who has been building haunted houses for around 20 years, is overseeing the build itself. I plan on this camp to grow into something more amazing than it already is. Future plans include carnival games, a “dunk the sparkle pony” tank, recruiting more talent for the shows, and much more. I eventually want this to be a full on haunted carnival. The camp itself will also be toured to different regionals and my dream is to eventually have it on the Playa. As for activity for the community, that is what it is based on, there will never be a dull moment, there will always be something going on for people to get involved in. If someone from another camp has the urge to scare people on cast a lead will sit with them, give them a primer and rules and send them off to the makeup and costuming area. My main impact that I want is to show new burners and old that there is more to a burn than chill domes and EDM and why radical self-expression it is one of my favorite principles. Maybe, and I am praying for this, we hope to inspire others in the community to envision different sorts of camps and interactivity and see people’s ideas for theme camps that never happen, perhaps this will change things for the community as a whole and we will see some more “strange and different” theme camps in the future.

Timeline

Planning phase is now coming to a close, it ran roughly from April until today 6/27/2015. Facebook group created for general spit balling and organizing, weekly meetings between leads, and inventory checks. During this time section leads were selected based on experience and drive. Minutes have been kept from most of the leader meetings; here is an example from our first meeting…

“Notes from tonight's meeting! Thank you again Nemo Eshelmam, Matt White, and Nicole Alcaro for your time!
For starters, we need to start getting roles assigned like Matt has suggested. We all know our strong points and weaknesses.
Nemo and Byrnie : The Freakshow which consists of a clean zone
Matt : VFX
Jean-Paul, Nicole, Bob : Props. Get a chat/topic started where all three of you can start figuring out what you have. Nicole, you mentioned the hearse! kiki emoticon
Indy: Bar! I’ll be thinking of rad drink ideas (got a real cool one in the works already) a will be in charge of this area. Making sure we have plenty of bottles, drink ideas, set shifts for the bar, etc etc.
Nemo: Grant proposal. Micro or Macro grant?
Project Manager: Will work closely with Nemo and the Secretary. This person will alongside Nemo keep a close eye on each project to make sure things are going smoothly and timely. Maybe set up weekly/biweekly meetings. Some meetings for the core crew/leaders some meetings for everyone camping/helping. We need to make sure everyone is on the same page and COMMUNICATING. Set build days.
Stage: Patton?
Sound: Kevin, Stephen, Steven?
Make-up: Christine, Caroline, Bobby?
Promoters: ?
Kitchen: ?
Graphic Design (for posters or just facebook posts): ?
Secretary: Note taking, camp dues, book-keeping, paypal, Go Fund Me, etc.
We need to start making separate posts for lists:
*build materials <--- dimensions, what’s needed, how many ^We need an idea for camp size! This includes how much room there will be for whoever will be camping^ example: PVC, pallets, posts, tools, black plastic, paint, etc
*props
*Bar: I’ll be making a list of specific liquors for specific drinks.
*emails: if we are going to do any outside of facebook contacting we need emails of the crew
*movie ideas for the chill zone
*List of campers
*List of cast (I think we need to make a schedule for this as well)”

Build phase begins 6/28/2015 with our first live meeting, we have people coming in from all over Florida, this is where I will be assigning sections to the crew who have not already been placed. This will run every Sunday until Burning Man and continue right after up until a week before Afterburn if needed, which chances are it won’t, as I had mentioned before I have an awesome crew who are hyped to build this camp. Set up will begin (with permission) the Wednesday before the burn; there will be quite a bit to transport even with me renting a u-haul for the weekend.

Please be brutally honest, having been voting on these things for the past few years is making me want to step the game up a bit. We have had trouble at the Florida burns with having anything different than your average chill dome and DJ booths playing EDM and a bunch of us are doing theme camps this year to show how broad of a concept they can be. We also already have around 180 ft of wall done for the main haunted house.

Edit: Here is a rough layout of the camp, there is one that is to exact scale but nothing is labeled and I am in lazy mode right now.

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 30, 2015

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Weren't applications due over a month ago, and any time to update the application now closed? Or is this for next year? Confused

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

mitztronic posted:

Weren't applications due over a month ago, and any time to update the application now closed? Or is this for next year? Confused

It's an application for Florida Afterburn, I will be test running it at regional burns before bringing it to ttitd.

Edit: I have mod approval to post the gofundme. http://gofund.me/ty46d4

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 30, 2015

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Does anyone know any local burns or conscious gatherings around Arkansas? I plan to be in CO by October which is probably a lot closer to some events.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

goodness posted:

Does anyone know any local burns or conscious gatherings around Arkansas? I plan to be in CO by October which is probably a lot closer to some events.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_regional_Burning_Man_events#Colorado

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

gently caress you very much.

Nevada's already picking up a massive tax revenue bump from 70,000 people purchasing goods and services on their way into the middle of nowhere, not even considering what BMOrg actually pays out to handle the logistics out there.

Even if you figure every ticket of 70k sold at face value (which they don't, a lot of those are in the low income program/are used for support staff), they're barely clearing 30 million in sales.

That means this BLM bullshit is 1/6 of their ticket sales off the top.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Presale - 4000 tickets @ $800/each = $3,200,000
Directed Group Sale - 20,000 tickets @ $390/each = $7,800,000 + (10,000 vehicle passes @ $50/each = $500,000) = $8,300,000
Individual Sale - 40,000 tickets @ $390/each = $15,600,000 + (12,000 vehicle passes @ $50/each = $600,000) = $16,200,000
OMG Sale - 1,000 tickets @ $390/each = $390,000 + (1250 vehicle passes @ $50/each = $62,500) = $452,500
Low Income - 4,000 tickets @ $190/each = $760,000

$3,200,000 + $8,300,000 + $16,200,000 + $452,500 + $760,000 = $28,912,500

$28,912,500 - $5,000,000 = $23,912,500 profit from ticket sales after BLM fees

I still don't see a problem here.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I don't think the word profit means what you think it means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Burning Man absolutely posts their financial information. It's in the After Burn report every year. They haven't released 2014's yet but here's 2013's.\

http://burningman.org/culture/history/brc-history/afterburn/2013-2/financial-chart/

• Locked thread