Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Arglebargle III posted:

the horror

you can cheat the zh sound by just doubling down on J

Yeah, in the presentation I said, "It's not really a 'j', but it sounds close enough you should just make a 'j' sound."

I think there is just a bit too much overload of sounds that don't look like their letters, and it takes some practice and effort to get it to stick.

I do think they should have refresher courses on this though. We have like 3,000+ Chinese students, and no one here even tries to say their names correctly :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

unfortunately, I can't convey the looks on their faces as they tried to figure out how the whitey speaks Korean and why the whitey is calling us Glorious Han people dirty foreigners

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pronouncing pinyin is loving child's play. Have you guys seen English spelling of ethnic Chinese who immigrate from Vietnam to the US. I can't pronoun any of their names. Also earliest Cantonese immigrants who randomly make up last names themselves without following any romanization rules,

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
a lady and her daughter came up to me last week while I was eating dinner and the lady said "look it's a foreigner" and I told her I wasn't a foreigner, I was local and she said to her daughter ignoring me "it's impossible, speak English, ask him where he's from" so the girl asked me "hello where are you from?" and I told her in Chinese I didn't understand and the mom was doing the ultimate :stare:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

if you want to know what happened in 2011 you can look it up in a book or you can go to Alpha Centauri and watch it live

the past is so far away

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

yeah I'm starting to tell people I don't speak English. there is nothing that confuses people in asia more than the idea that white people do not all speak English

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

if you want to know what happened in 2011 you can look it up in a book or you can go to Alpha Centauri and watch it live

the past is so far away

sorry but even at 99% of lightspeed it would take you over 4 years to get to alpha centauri and when you look back on Earth you'll be looking at our future

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

imagine you were white and born and raised in China and are entirely Chinese but literally everyone all the time calls you foreigner and speaks English at you, a language you have no knowledge of because you're from Chongqing and have never traveled abroad and didn't give a poo poo about learning it in school because your parents were from uh, Finland so it's not like you spoke English at home either

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Subyng posted:

sorry but even at 99% of lightspeed it would take you over 4 years to get to alpha centauri and when you look back on Earth you'll be looking at our future

only if you turn around to come back

why would you loving do that

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

imagine you were white and born and raised in China and are entirely Chinese but literally everyone all the time calls you foreigner and speaks English at you, a language you have no knowledge of because you're from Chongqing and have never traveled abroad and didn't give a poo poo about learning it in school because your parents were from uh, Finland so it's not like you spoke English at home either

How can you be Chinese, when you are clearly white? You are not making any sense.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
on the other side of that coin, when I visited Asia everyone there assumed I knew their language

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Subyng posted:

on the other side of that coin, when I visited Asia everyone there assumed I knew their language

Yeah I had Asian friends in Korea who didn't speak Korean and everyone was mindblown

Worst was if you were Korean-American and insufficiently Korean

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I had a fun time translating for a Chinese-American guy who spoke no Mandarin in podunk small town hunan.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

insufficiently Korean

this made me actually LOL

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I was out with a Chinese friend and I spoke Korean better than her, so we had many conversations where a Korean person would ask her something or I would initiate the conversation, then the Korean would continue speaking to my completely silent (except in English) Chinese friend while I handled the communication while never being acknowledged in any way

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grand Fromage posted:

That reminds me of this black dude that was adopted in Vietnam as a kid and became a really good singer but only spoke Vietnamese.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Grand Fromage posted:

Imagine you were in the US and people literally applauded if an Asian looking person said "Hello" in English and was able to pick up a fork and not immediately stab himself in the eye with it

That begs the question how the image of the average western person would look like if they would draw a comic.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
my Chinese is better than my wife's, who is from Asia, and we always have these awkward moments where people speak to her, she says what?, I answer, they look at me and tell her the foreigners Chinese is really good, and she says yeah it is better than mine, and it's like this massive brainfuck and all the while I just want my drat glass of water

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

all complaining aside this is the hardest thing to deal with in Asia. There's a lot of other stuff you can learn to understand and you gradually appreciate, but having grown up in a diverse city in the US with friends of many cultures from kindergarten on it's just impossible to comprehend the mindset of someone who grew up in such a sheltered monocultural landscape that they're barely aware that other types of people and things outside their immediate area even exist.

My students are cosmopolitan as hell by local standards but I still had one ask me how I can write Chinese when she saw me writing a food name in Chinese. And I was just like, the same way you can ask me that in English. And then she felt dumb because obviously and when she gave it more than half a second thought it made sense but still, her first instinct was WHITE WRITING HANZI NOT POSSIBLE

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grand Fromage posted:

all complaining aside this is the hardest thing to deal with in Asia. There's a lot of other stuff you can learn to understand and you gradually appreciate, but having grown up in a diverse city in the US with friends of many cultures from kindergarten on it's just impossible to comprehend the mindset of someone who grew up in such a sheltered monocultural landscape that they can barely even comprehend that other types of people exist.

I'm from Idaho so I have a slight inkling.

[ASK] Me about not meeting a black person until I was 13!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

computer parts posted:

I'm from Idaho so I have a slight inkling.

[ASK] Me about not meeting a black person until I was 13!

Yeah I'm not saying there aren't any white people who can relate, just I personally can't. And most of the people I know in Asia come from reasonably diverse backgrounds so they also can't.

I don't think there's a direct correlation either. Being from podunk nowhere in the US is definitely closer but I don't think there's anywhere in the US where people would reject the idea that pizza is from Italy or whatever.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

It ridiculous how much exposure people in western cities get to foreigners and foreign cultures. Paris gets something like tens of millions of visitors from every part of the planet each year.

China didn't even have a local tourism industry two decades ago.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The US population is 13% foreign-born. That's nuts. Nowhere is as immigrated outside of gulf oil sheikdoms that import 100% of their labor force. (gently caress North Utah)

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 6, 2015

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

goldboilermark posted:

wow you can eat Chinese food? it's very interesting

now you know why they bring a suitcase full of ramen when they go abroad

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

The US population is 13% foreign-born. That's nuts. Nowhere is as diverse outside of gulf oil sheikdoms that import 100% of their labor force. (gently caress North Utah)

That's a lot but you got beat by Austria, Spain and Sweden of all places.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have this bad habit of checking facts after posting. To be fair the US has a much larger immigrant population in total than any of those countries, they just have much smaller total populations. The US has more immigrants than Canada has people. In fact the US has almost 20% of the immigrants in the world.

UAE is 83% foreign-born lmao

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 6, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
UAE is also probably 83% slaves/indentured servants.

In Australia 47% of the country is either an immigrant of the child of an immigrant. And for some reason we lock the ones who try to come here by boat in concentration camps :(

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I had Asian friends in Korea who didn't speak Korean and everyone was mindblown

Worst was if you were Korean-American and insufficiently Korean

A friend of mine, who is Puerto Rican and speaks Korean to an almost advanced level, was on the subway with an Asian American friend who speaks barely any Korean. They were chatting in English and this old Korean guy just starts laying into his friend about how she must speak Korean and pretty much called her a whore for talking for my friend.

I was once accosted by a drunken man in Seoul on the subway for not speaking Korean. He was really mad and then I explained to him I was a tourist and he did a 180. He was super friendly and started telling me about how he was going to Chicago in the summer.

My favorite awkward, "Do you have _________ in America?" was from an acquaintance of mine asking me if I knew that you could buy a woman in China. Prostitution was this new concept that the West knew nothing about.

The awkward casual racism towards my black coworker was always the best though. :allears:

"Where are you from in Afric?"
"I'm from Virginia, which is in the United States."
"No, what village in Afric were you from before then."

"RnR, do you like to drink milk?"
"Uhh, not often but I do sometimes drink it."
"Coworker, do you like to eat chocolate?"
"Yeah..."
"Oh, that's why RnR is so white and you are so black. lol"

"I love the black people because you express yourselves through dance. Can you break dance?"

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

goldboilermark posted:

my Chinese is better than my wife's, who is from Asia, and we always have these awkward moments where people speak to her, she says what?, I answer, they look at me and tell her the foreigners Chinese is really good, and she says yeah it is better than mine, and it's like this massive brainfuck and all the while I just want my drat glass of water

You guys are real life troll team, there should be a youtube channel about you two. Tudou channel!

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

My black coworker from chicago's Chinese name was grey wolf, and anytime I saw him introduce himself every single Chinese person said "why aren't you black wolf?"

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
How do you get a chinese name as a white person?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ritual combat, mostly, but there's cannibalism involved too

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

"I love the black people because you express yourselves through dance. Can you break dance?"

wow. that's pretty impressive.

my only chinese "do you ___?" story is pretty lame in comparison. I got asked why Europeans eat cheese. I asked her back why she eats things herself and then it dawned on her.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

waitwhatno posted:

wow. that's pretty impressive.

my only chinese "do you ___?" story is pretty lame in comparison. I got asked why Europeans eat cheese. I asked her back why she eats things herself and then it dawned on her.

That kid was an English major so he at least spoke English fairly well and wasn't a complete xenophobe like everyone else in China's interior. We explained to him why that wasn't cool and he seemed to take to it so good for him.

One time a student had a number written on a piece of paper and asked me if I could read it. I said yes, told her it in English and Chinese. The other kids just started giving her poo poo about it the moment she asked because it was beyond stupid.

These are all college students by the way.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ZombieParts posted:

Rice was the one people would act dumb-struck and shocked over.

That almost makes sense tho. If they go to an american-style restaurant they are going to see things like hamburgers, fries and other potato things, ranch dressing, and . . . whatever. What they probably won't see is any "american" rice dishes.

We eat rice, but it isn't a staple of every meal. Any sort of rice recipe is usually descended from something foreign like spanish rice, chinese fried rice, rice pilaf, etc. Are there any distinctly american rice dishes? Maybe tuna rice casserole?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

yeah I'm starting to tell people I don't speak English. there is nothing that confuses people in asia more than the idea that white people do not all speak English

It's worse for white women who don't speak English.

:china: "Do you speak English?"
:france: "Non, je suis Français."
:china: <assumes you are a Russian prostitute>

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gorilla Salad posted:

In Australia 47% of the country is either an immigrant of the child of an immigrant. And for some reason we lock the ones who try to come here by boat in concentration camps :(

Yeah, we pretty much seem to of mastered the 'gently caress you, got mine' mentality when it comes to immigration. :(

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Angela Christine posted:

That almost makes sense tho. If they go to an american-style restaurant they are going to see things like hamburgers, fries and other potato things, ranch dressing, and . . . whatever. What they probably won't see is any "american" rice dishes.

We eat rice, but it isn't a staple of every meal. Any sort of rice recipe is usually descended from something foreign like spanish rice, chinese fried rice, rice pilaf, etc. Are there any distinctly american rice dishes? Maybe tuna rice casserole?

Cajun, Southern Food with Carolina rice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Angela Christine posted:

Rice was a big part of the Southern diet until slavery ended. After slavery ended, people said gently caress it since it required so much manual labor to grow it wasn't worthwhile unless you were forcing people to grow it for free.

Rice isn't something that really has a recipe in China and most of the time it's just white rice to go with your meat or vegetable dish. There is fried rice but it's somewhat uncommon and nowhere near as frequently eaten as it is in American Chinese food. It's the Chinese equivalent of having a baked potato at dinner without any of the nutritional benefits because good luck finding a place that serves any other type of rice.

There was a perception for centuries that brown rice was for poor people, essentially garbage, and that white rice was superior in every way. This was one of the big reasons the Imperial Japanese military was racked by beriberi and other nutritional problems associated with a diet of white rice and muddy water.

• Locked thread