Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

I can't be the only one that thinks Grandpa Wil Knights look better than his younger self. :psyduck:

Anyway, let's go with Gustaf. It's time to bring Wil Knights to the finale!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Roberto.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Sketchie posted:

I can't be the only one that thinks Grandpa Wil Knights look better than his younger self. :psyduck:

I think he was probably designed with his old man look in mind from the beginning.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Agreed with Roberto. Ginny and Wil have a whale to slay, and Gustaf is clearly holding back some important story info.

Primieria over Roberto because she seems better suited to covering in Steel and going :black101:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bellmaker posted:

Primieria over Roberto because she seems better suited to covering in Steel and going :black101:

Except there's no steel axe worth half a drat and I don't think he's trained up the skills to get the custom tool. She'll be stuck with 30 base attack while everyone else that cares will have 50+ and better skill levels to back it up.

TCSyd
Jun 13, 2013
Let's boot Wil; his time has passed.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Boot Roberto, he seems to have no real importance in the story in comparison to Joseph Joestar, genderbent Jotaro and Gustavef. And there's less votes to kick the other girl out, so I might as well vote for him.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Roobanguy posted:

actually changinge vote to Roberto

Wil will rest better in the main party, boot Gustaf

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

dis astranagant posted:

Except there's no steel axe worth half a drat and I don't think he's trained up the skills to get the custom tool. She'll be stuck with 30 base attack while everyone else that cares will have 50+ and better skill levels to back it up.

Primiera is using Spears in this run.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Einander posted:

Primiera is using Spears in this run.

I got my endgame filler characters mixed up :v:

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Bellmaker posted:

Agreed with Roberto. Ginny and Wil have a whale to slay, and Gustaf is clearly holding back some important story info.

Agreeing with Roberto, for essentially those reasons.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I'm not going to vote which of the two remaining doesn't come, but if Ginny, Wil and Gustaf aren't in the final group, something is wrong.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Did the devs just forget how bad they made axes/forgot to put good axes into the game or are these high axe values on two of your final party members meant to be trolls?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Axes would be fine if the paladin weapons didn't exist (and the stupid rare steel axe from the next scenario wasn't worse than stuff from gen 1). Without those nothing's much stronger than the custom tools and Gustaf is almost relevant. All weapons are stuck around 30-36 power if you're going in blind and don't get really lucky with drops.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 7, 2015

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Boot Roberto I always hated bows and you can't exclude what I assume will be plot bombs with Gustaf (who am I kidding there is no way they had time to code it in)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Boot Roberto. Both the Knights need to be there to see the end of the Quell that's caused their line so much grief. Gustaf needs to be there to avenge the slight on his family honor that the imposter has made by trying to pass himself off as Gustave the Steel. Primiera gets to stay because Roberto already has a bunch of votes anyway. v:v:v

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

I tend to use Roberto over Wil for mechanical reasons, but for the sake of plot and story structure (and I guess just seeing what Wil is capable of at that age), Roberto.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Prism posted:

I'm not going to vote which of the two remaining doesn't come, but if Ginny, Wil and Gustaf aren't in the final group, something is wrong.

Never played the game, but voting Roberto since I share this view and he seems to be the leading candidate.

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008

Prism posted:

Agreeing with the latter part of this post right here.

This becomes a case of high base LP vs. Spears are amazing, yeah?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Roberto, because I already forgot who he is.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Roberto, I tried using him when I finally beat the game last month and he was just kinda disappointing compared to my homeboy Tycoon Wil.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Roberto, also dang I was not expecting the game to let you have the badass old man in your party.

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
Chuck in another vote for Roberto. I like him, but all of the other characters simply feel stronger.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Boot Primiera; Spears are great but she'll never really be good with them, and Axes and Martial Arts have long since seen their time come and go. She's the weak link in the team.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Boot Roberto. Gustave 2.0's hair is too cool to throw out.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kinda sucks that his sword isn't at the full 53 attack though.
That would've done wonders for his useability.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Kinda sucks that his sword isn't at the full 53 attack though.
That would've done wonders for his useability.

Yeah, actually having him be on par (or slightly better in this case) with the Paladin weapons would've been great, but to a certain extent I can understand them not wanting to make him too powerful, just being able to swap out either one of his weapons would've been tremendously useful though.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

Battle of Hahn Nova (1305)
Charles plans to take over Hahn Nova under the auspices of subduing Gustave.
1305 Battle of Hahn Nova
Fake Gustave's army defeats the Jade army and the Count of Jade, Charles, dies in the process.

(Payoff)

The voices here don't get sprites showing. I beleive they're members of the Edelritter, but I can't be sure.

Edelritter 1: Many of the lords who have promised aid to us have withdrawn out of fear that the Count of Jade will order his men to hunt down any opposers. Will we be alright?
Edelritter 2: Believe in Master Gustave.
Edelritter 1: Yes...

A long pause.

Edelritter 1: Would it not be better to hand that man over to the Count of Jade?

Presumably they didn't all get recruited the same way as Sargon or they'd have much, much more pressing concerns about what happens if they desert.

Also, this is why excessive dickery is strategically unadvisable. Don't put backs to the wall until you have no other choice; desperation is bad for business.

(Obsession)

Note the objectives. You indeed control Fake Gustave this time around. Note also that there's exactly one lose condition, and that's "Fake Gustave dies." This is the same as making the map literally impossible to lose.

Just as Ginny's starting scenarios mirror Wil's, the last two war battles mirror the first. This is the one where you get to use Gustave and two other special units to stomp the enemy flat. The second one is the battle where the Count of Jade has to face down an invading army with a group of generics.

Right, do you see this battlefield? There are three units that matter: the Steel Soldier, Sargon, and Fake Gustave. The others are generic soldiers, so I move them out of the way.

No arrows this time, there isn't even a pretense of strategy. You should wipe out every single group that attacks any of the three special units in one round.

(Field of Battle III)

Or in Sargon's case, one action, because even if you don't have Aftervision or Blade Spray you definitely have Tornado Blade. (If you didn't steal literally every sword and Tree-Anima object in his possession, anyway.) There are enemy archers (the only case of enemy archers?) here and also the Jade Soldiers have swords so they can't be completely generic, but frankly, who cares? They could be wielding Paladin equipment and it wouldn't make a drat difference against Sargon.

Also, note that all of Sargon's units are generic allied Soldiers (Flame Spears with the standard set of weak spear moves) so that you can all be outraged along with me later.

Oh, remember how I talked about Roberto having the highest LP, except for one hilarious outlier?

SURPRISE!

Look at the game data and you'll see that Fake Gustave has 500 HP, 41 LP, 60 WP, 1 WPR, 60 SP, 9 SPR, 20 Sword, and 10 in every Anima. Please look at that LP and SPR again. He's getting +1 SPR from equipment, so that's a base of 8 SPR.

Fake Gustave's Galatyn and ITEM are special unremovable equipments. The Galatyn is a 39 Attack Sword with +3 SP, +1 SPR, +5 SP Enhance, and +10 to all defenses. It has no Anima and infinite durability. The ITEM is a Water Mirror with the same properties--+10 SP, 3 SP Enhance, immune to Water, can block all types of attacks--except it has 25 Evade instead of 20 and it's unremovable. He also has a Caster Armor, which is a generic 12 defense armor I've had since Wil's first scenario.

(If you're wondering what "Galatyn" is a reference to, it's probably supposed to be "Galatine," the sword wielded by Gawain of the Round Table. It was given to him by the Lady of the Lake, the one who also gave King Arthur Excalibur. It's a clever reference--King Arthur also shared his legend with his chosen sword.)

Fake Gustave has no Role, and he doesn't show up in the Equip Reclaimer. (Though it'd be useless if he did--equips that can't be removed don't show up on the list. Look up Gustave or Cielmer and you'll see blanks for Gustave's Sword and the Cielmerlion.)

You'll also see why I said you can't lose--Gustave has no Reserve units, so any Steel Soldiers that die aren't replaced at the start of your turn, but I seriously doubt that the enemy has enough firepower to even kill one. Even if they do, they still need to chew through Fake Gustave's 500 HP in one round. Add in Successive Battle and Archer support and they "only" have to chew through about 430! ...when a two-person combo will do about 150-200, tops. His death is not mathematically possible.

The other Steel Soldier unit is just four of the same Steel Soldiers as Gustave's unit (either of them).

Anyway, the battle ends with Sargon killing everyone. As in, I literally just have his soldiers defend while Sargon kills the enemy groups by himself. It's faster.

(Question)

No! Don't concede anything to the Laubholz! They're assholes! :argh:

Yes. That is why we need everyone's cooperation concerning the Hahn matter.

I thought I ordered you not to disturb us!
But...

There's a pause.

What!!

What happened?

(Battle-Leader)

Father...
David... excuse me, Lord David, you should return home as soon as possible. We will adjourn the meeting until you return.
This is dreadful.
We have no choice but to adjourn.
We must come up with some countermeasure!

And also, I wish to gather everyone here to obtain a consensus. We must subdue this vile imposter at once. I hear there is a collection of discontents supporting the impostor. I know none of you have any desire to see the Lordless Land overrun by such people. Come, let us continue this peace conference.

I agree. If we don't stabilize the situation, we will not be able to stop others like them.
Indeed. If we don't act fast, the uprising may spread to other areas.

Are you absolutely sure, Lord David?

Well then, let us retire with this proposal and review it.

(The Outside World)

1305 Battle of Hahn Nova
Fake Gustave's army defeats the Jade army and the Count of Jade, Charles, dies in the process.

It's almost time for South Moundtop.

Next (chronological): To Gustave's Stronghold (1305)
Final Chapter (Gustave): Battle of South Moundtop [Gustave] (1305)

Einander fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 22, 2015

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Einander posted:

I think I can safely say I speak for everyone who's played this when I say gently caress the Battle of South Moundtop.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Einander posted:

It's almost time for everyone to act like they've been in an actual war and have traumatizing flashbacks.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
It's really strange to me how seemingly uncommon Steel Soldiers are. I thought the whole point was that Gustave revolutionized warfare by demonstrating that ordinary soldiers who probably don't have great magical potential are better off wearing and wielding stuff made of metal, and this would be something other leaders caught onto.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Daerc posted:

I think I can safely say I speak for everyone who's played this when I say gently caress the Battle of South Moundtop.

Pretty sure I already did back on the first couple pages.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

GunnerJ posted:

It's really strange to me how seemingly uncommon Steel Soldiers are. I thought the whole point was that Gustave revolutionized warfare by demonstrating that ordinary soldiers who probably don't have great magical potential are better off wearing and wielding stuff made of metal, and this would be something other leaders caught onto.

It's a recent enough development that other leaders are still butthurt about being beaten by a literally-soulless heathen and his black antimagic army. They'll refuse such tactics out of sheer spite even as they recognize their effectiveness. Others will probably adopt the strategy when they start losing later on, because hypocrisy reigns eternal.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Daerc posted:

Never played the game, but considering half of the people's reaction to this LP when it was first posted was "gently caress the Battle of South Moundtop' I've been waiting anxiously for it. It has a lot of hype to live up to!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's basically the opposite of this latest scenario.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Given the developments happening in the game and all the people's reactions, I'm going to guess that you have to deal with Fake Gustave in the Battle of South Moundtop. EIther that, or his Edelritter since they haven't really made their appearance.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
David is one cool-rear end motherfucker.

"Oh, my dad predictably died because he's a dumb rear end in a top hat? I'll deal with that in a minute, I'm busy negotiating world peace."

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Yeah David is one badass dude, as you'll see later.

South Moundtop is a massive kick in the nuts unless you abuse a mechanic that I'm fairly sure the game never ever tells you about, in which case you might only have one reset or two if you're really unlucky. it's pure SaGa.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Wait, what's Phillipe III up to now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Smiling Knight posted:

Wait, what's Phillipe III up to now?

That'll come up soon.

• Locked thread