Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Oh my god, he's their uncle. (Great uncle?)

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I heard he's a giant chicken.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Now that Steve is an old man he got really racist and joined Hydra. This is also why Falcon hates him.
EDIT: Sorry I forgot my spoiler tags

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

I like the way there is 1 issue out, and people are already posting Internet rumours about how it's going to end.
Well, when covers have even been released for issues past the halfway point of the series already, you can't help but start thinking ahead.

Nevvy Z posted:

Oh my god, he's their uncle. (Great uncle?)
Grunkle Steve!

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I legit hope that the X-Men stuff turns out to be true if only to make it so that the MCU changing/Inhumans push literally becomes toxic to the Marvel Universe as a whole.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The status quo title practically writes itself.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Senor Candle posted:

Now that Steve is an old man he got really racist and joined Hydra. This is also why Falcon hates him.
EDIT: Sorry I forgot my spoiler tags

I hope when Captain Falcon finds out he goes "What are you thinking?" and Steve is like "Well...Sunspot bought AIM!"

While I'm a fan of Captain rear end in a top hat America. It would be nice to see him go back to being Steve Rogers is always a decent human being after Secret Wars. I'm glad they're sticking with Captain Falcon though.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Senor Candle posted:

There is a 0% chance Hickman actually kills Franklin and Valeria. How is that not the thing that stuck out to you?

Franklin, Valeria, Dragon Man, and the other kids sacrifice their corporeal forms to become the cosmic abstract entities of the new universe - a Foundation for the Future, if you will.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wachter posted:

Franklin, Valeria, Dragon Man, and the other kids sacrifice their corporeal forms to become the cosmic abstract entities of the new universe - a Foundation for the Future, if you will.

This is Hickman we're talking about please include Doom in your theories.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Doom becomes the new Living Tribunal. Living TriDOOMal.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is Hickman we're talking about please include Doom in your theories.

The Beyonders are just a time-hosed echo of Doom's recent actions. He destroys worlds to stop their plan but their plan only exists as a reverberation of his own across space-time. When he yells into their void their response is only a distorted echo of his own arrogance.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

redbackground posted:

This is all speculation so I'm not spoiling--so since earth was destroyed, is there going to be ANOTHER terrigen mist outbreak around the globe once things are put back together? That's dumb.

In the Uncanny Inhumans preview that's after Secret Wars the same mists that were released by Black Bolt are still slowly making their way around the world. More evidence that everything gets put back to somewhat exactly the same way it was before Secret Wars.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Wachter posted:

Doom becomes the new Living Tribunal. Living TriDOOMal.

Doom was always part of the living tribunal, he's the fully covered face.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Valeria is in the new Runaways book.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So the theory I'm working on right now is that the key line of this issue was Maker-Reed's "some things just refuse to die". I think that was Manifold and Reed's desperate Plan B: grab the stubbornest, defiantest, not-dyingest motherfuckers from the battle, pile them onto the ship, and send the ship right into the collision point where the last two universes hit each other and exploded. And I don't think there was much else to the plan other than "well, it might do something and we're all super-dead at this point so it's worth the shot".

I'm also guessing that the indomitable wills to live on that ship are what decides what's drawn into Battleworld: Spider-Man's there, so a bunch of Spider-stuff, Scott is there, so there are a ton of X-Men, and so on.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I haven't been reading the Avengers/New Avengers stuff, how lost will I be if I hop on this thing by just buying Secret Wars #1?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

OldTennisCourt posted:

I haven't been reading the Avengers/New Avengers stuff, how lost will I be if I hop on this thing by just buying Secret Wars #1?

Probably a lot. As far as incomprehensible events go it's pretty much the worst I've ever read from DC or Marvel, it is part one million or whatever of Hickman's Avengers run. It's not a jumping on point or new reader friendly event.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

You will probably have no idea what's going on. If anything, start with the Secret Wars #0 issue, which tries to tell the whole story in a few pages. You'll still be way behind. If you're really interested in what's going on, read the A/NA runs.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 7, 2015

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Waterhaul posted:

Probably a lot. As far as incomprehensible events go it's pretty much the worst I've ever read from DC or Marvel, it is part one million or whatever of Hickman's Avengers run. It's not a jumping on point or new reader friendly event.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

OldTennisCourt posted:

Completely, the fact it has a #1 in the cover is pretty facetious.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Completely, the fact it has a #1 in the cover is pretty facetious.

I'm genuinely surprised they didn't shove a recap page in there. I feel like one would not have been remiss. On my first read, I was hyped as hell, but on a reread I tried to see it as someone without context would and ... there's a loose framework of what's going on, but Maker Reed and all that is just like "yup, here's this stuff!"

It's so weird.

Unrelated: I love Hickman's love for white pages with ominous-as-gently caress light grey text. :allears: It's here, it's in East of West, I feel like I've seen it in some of his other poo poo. It just pleases me a lot, assuming it's not coincidence.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I'm genuinely surprised they didn't shove a recap page in there. I feel like one would not have been remiss. On my first read, I was hyped as hell, but on a reread I tried to see it as someone without context would and ... there's a loose framework of what's going on, but Maker Reed and all that is just like "yup, here's this stuff!"

It's so weird.

Unrelated: I love Hickman's love for white pages with ominous-as-gently caress light grey text. :allears: It's here, it's in East of West, I feel like I've seen it in some of his other poo poo. It just pleases me a lot, assuming it's not coincidence.

I was trying to explain where Namor is right now to a friend and it took like half an hour.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Honestly, I just skimmed Avengers/New Avengers at best, and mostly to see if this was the one with the Ultimates in it (answer: no). What I knew coming in was that the multiverse was collapsing, everyone was freaking out and killing each other to try and save their own skins, some weirdo Beyond-type Beyonders were doing it (maybe?), and that was it. I followed the story just fine and feel like I'm honestly better off not having waded through two years of Ablam Mal or whoever the gently caress and grim overwroughtness as everyone just stands around and contemplates the inevitable end and how doomed everything is, which is Hickman's very favorite thing in the world you can't fool me, I read Fantastic Four.

Skipping to the part where everything actually goes to poo poo makes the story more interesting.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

If you wanna get into Secret Wars, you not only need to read every issue of Hickmans Avengers and New Avengers, but the Infinity event and probably Hickman's run on Ultimates as well. You also need to refer to some outside source to figure out the reading order too. Some passing familiar with the original Secret Wars including who the Beyonders are would probably help too. Well seeya.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

So the theory I'm working on right now is that the key line of this issue was Maker-Reed's "some things just refuse to die". I think that was Manifold and Reed's desperate Plan B: grab the stubbornest, defiantest, not-dyingest motherfuckers from the battle, pile them onto the ship, and send the ship right into the collision point where the last two universes hit each other and exploded. And I don't think there was much else to the plan other than "well, it might do something and we're all super-dead at this point so it's worth the shot".

Its where Hyperion was standing when he survived too so there might be some pseudoscience explanation that they cut out.

On further thought, I bet Battleworld is made of chunks of worlds that is a small section of each incursion point. Like the empty shell of a claymore mine pointed out at the rest of the universe.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 7, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It does seem curious that the original resurrection team seemed to consist of folks like Beast and Amadeus Cho and the one Manifold gathered as a plan B consisted of a bunch of heavy bruiser mofos. And Spider-Man. And Star-Lord.

Am I the only one who thinks the art could have used...a bit more revising? Amadeus looked about forty-seven and Captain Marvel was pretty dire too.

CapnAndy posted:

feel like I'm honestly better off not having waded through two years of Ablam Mal or whoever the gently caress and grim overwroughtness as everyone just stands around and contemplates the inevitable end and how doomed everything is, which is Hickman's very favorite thing in the world you can't fool me, I read Fantastic Four.
This is correct.

I'm incredibly glad I read through all that before reading this but still, this...this is correct.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
So, I don't really read comics much (Just started Marvel Unlimited today, really), but I played Ultimate Alliance a lot and Marvel Heroes now :gaz:.

So really all I'm interested in is:

1. What's all this business with Doctor Doom and some Great Destroyer?
2. Who's been killed off already?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Like everyone is dead except for the Cabal and the life raft team, and maybe Doctor Doom + Strange + Molecule Man.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I wonder how Spider-Man feels about Aunt May, MJ etc being atomized. That's gotta take some pep out of his step.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The shorter list is who survived. A crap-ton of characters are dead.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

LordHippoman posted:

everyone.gif

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

LordHippoman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MSI21ZZlM4

:v:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

LordHippoman posted:

So, I don't really read comics much (Just started Marvel Unlimited today, really), but I played Ultimate Alliance a lot and Marvel Heroes now :gaz:.

So really all I'm interested in is:

1. What's all this business with Doctor Doom and some Great Destroyer?
1. The weird Beyonder-voice is a representative (maybe?) of the species (individual?) who caused all the universes to crash into each other and explode (probably?). Doom has issues with this.
2. EVERYBODY.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

My preferred version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shs7VQhVvxA

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So, I guess this is super premature, but what would the endgame be here? Is the MU getting restarted back on Earth after this whole thing goes down? Is Battleworld going to be the New 52 style status quo for everything? Is Ms. Marvel still alive? I assume her series is continuing?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

So, I guess this is super premature, but what would the endgame be here? Is the MU getting restarted back on Earth after this whole thing goes down? Is Battleworld going to be the New 52 style status quo for everything? Is Ms. Marvel still alive? I assume her series is continuing?

To tell a big story. Probably not. Probably not. Yes. Yes.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

OldTennisCourt posted:

The end game is the FCBD Avengers issue. Everything is pretty much normal except Miles is around and the X-Men and Fantastic Four aren't.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I think Ms. Marvel is probably dead like everyone else, because she was not explicitly shown to be ported onto the life raft, and that Doom is going to save everyone by making Battleworld out of chunks of destroyed universes somehow, probably by doing time poo poo.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Doom is going to save everyone then gloat over Richard's dead family. Richards (no longer having a family) goes insane like every other Richards and proceeds to recreate the multiverse just to piss off Doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
For people looking for the entire run up to Secret Wars, Senor Candle posted the following in the previous thread with link to the entire Avengers & New Avengers comixology bundles for pretty decent prices.

Senor Candle posted:

Cross posting this from the Digital Comics and Avengers thread.

Almost all of Hickman's Avengers run is on sale in case someone wants to binge to get ready for Secret Wars

Avengers
https://www.comixology.com/Avengers...le/916?916_pg=2
New Avengers
https://www.comixology.com/New-Aven...ries/bundle/925

The only thing not on sale is Infinity, which is here
https://www.comixology.com/Infinity...2JyZWFkY3J1bWJz

And here is redbackground's handy dandy reading order!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...oBmE/edit#gid=0

• Locked thread