Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Warbadger posted:

Gotta wait until they get India to buy a bunch before that one emerges.

For now just claim the crew for your top secret tank's big reveal to the world, in a massive public event, following years of propaganda to hype it, and in front of dear leader himself - are actually methhead rhesus monkeys.

They were too busy squatting to properly operate the tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

xthetenth posted:

They were too busy squatting to properly operate the tank.

Somebody threw a valenok on the control panel

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The inputs get sticky when you spill Jaguar energy drink on them.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

bewbies posted:

This is sort of the direction things are headed, but the obvious limitation is that this sort of mutual defense setup limits your ability to move independently. The first big step is integrating the sensors, with the major effort being to implement some sort of elevated sensor (probably a small-ish rotary wing UAS) that hovers above the unit that can detect launches at much greater distances.

Aren't we basically at the point where nothing moves independently in an urban environment? Besides, we're talking about DE weapons that, by the time they're deployed, will have vastly improved cooldown times and multiple emitters per vehicle.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Everyone who likes sci-fi and tank defense systems needs to read David Drake's Hammers Slammers series of books if they haven't already. He was a tanker in Vietnam before writing the book series.

Stolen from Wiki posted:

The Complete Hammer's Slammers (2006): is a three volume set from Night Shade Books that contains all Hammer's Slammers fiction, including three new stories written for this set. Volume 1 was released in January 2006, and features an introduction by Gene Wolfe. Volume 2 (introduction by David G Hartwell) was released January 2007, with Volume 3 (introduction by Barry Malzberg) following in November 2007.

Volume 1 contains: Hammer's Slammers (collection), Code-Name Feirefitz, The Interrogation Team, The Tank Lords, Liberty Port, Night March, The Immovable Object, The Irresistible Force, A Death in Peacetime (all short stories).
Volume 2 contains: At Any Price, Counting the Cost, Rolling Hot, The Warrior, The Day of Glory (short story).
Volume 3 contains: The Sharp End, Paying the Piper, The Darkness (short story).

Best just to pickup volume one and go from there.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Totally TWISTED posted:

Everyone who likes sci-fi and tank defense systems needs to read David Drake's Hammers Slammers series of books if they haven't already. He was a tanker in Vietnam before writing the book series.

Hammers Slammers is pretty rad, the tanks all have a terminal defense system that is basically a strip of space claymores laid around the hull- they can be automatically activated by the onboard computer to intercept AT weapons or manually triggered by the tank commander as a close in anti-infantry weapon. :black101:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I also commend him for writing the only military sci-fi I've read where propellant gasses stink and people occasionally need to clear a jam.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

I also commend him for writing the only military sci-fi I've read where propellant gasses stink and people occasionally need to clear a jam.

For more in that vein, read Glen Cook's Passage at Arms. It's pretty much Das Boot in space, complete with the food sucking more the longer the mission goes on and the ship developing a serious mold problem.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

ArchangeI posted:

For more in that vein, read Glen Cook's Passage at Arms. It's pretty much Das Boot in space, complete with the food sucking more the longer the mission goes on and the ship developing a serious mold problem.

I will second that. Both the recommendation and that it is Das Boot in space. Just don't read it if you are already depressed!

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Polikarpov posted:

Hammers Slammers is pretty rad, the tanks all have a terminal defense system that is basically a strip of space claymores laid around the hull- they can be automatically activated by the onboard computer to intercept AT weapons or manually triggered by the tank commander as a close in anti-infantry weapon. :black101:

4th or 5thing that these books gave me a total mil-spec-boner growing up and I only had 3 or 4 of them.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Dark Helmut posted:

4th or 5thing that these books gave me a total mil-spec-boner growing up and I only had 3 or 4 of them.

Books, boners, or both?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

So I finally finished reading the entire thread :negative:

Saw a lot of proposals for folding the USMC into the Army. As a doctrine (not as a real possibility), would it make sense to also fold the Air Force into the Navy? Considering the emphasis on Air/Sea Battle, my initial glance would give 'everything that flies and everything that floats' to this super branch, and let the Army chill out state side.

Am I completely wrong? Is there a doctrinal reason why Air Force and Navy shouldn't be best buddies?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
There is no way in hell I want the people doing the air support to ground operations to be the same ones who want big shiny ships.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Fold all branches of the military into one branch, make the armed forces act like a combiner from Transformers or Voltron or something.

alternate answer: everyone has to sing the Captain Planet theme song at all times. That'll teach you joint service cooperation or whatever.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 8, 2015

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I think the Navy's recommendations on fighters should get priority over the Air Force's, though. It seems like being forced to use carriers as your airbases leads to you not asking for dumb poo poo as often (this is my admittedly cursory reading of postwar fighter development)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Forums Terrorist posted:

I think the Navy's recommendations on fighters should get priority over the Air Force's, though. It seems like being forced to use carriers as your airbases leads to you not asking for dumb poo poo as often (this is my admittedly cursory reading of postwar fighter development)

Strongly concur.

When you give a Navy fighter to the Air Force you get the F-4. The other way around you get the TFX.

Call it the Phantom Precedent.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
OR you could have two different planes, and then you get the F-15 and the F-14, or the F-16 and the F-18.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

OR you could have two different planes, and then you get the F-15 and the F-14, or the F-16 and the F-18.

F-14 isn't necessarily the best example because the F-15 was the far more reliable airframe. The F16/F18 split is the navy's temper tantrum. The F-16 and F-18 (as the YF-17) were (effectively) the two competitors in the LWF competition. The Navy preferred the YF-17 so when the air force chose the F-16 they came up with their own competition and asked for a YF-17 with a few changes that became the F-18. As a result we can't make Navy Viper BSG jokes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mortabis posted:

Or you could just accept than America is a maritime country and that there is no God but Neptune and Alfred Thayer Mahan (pbuh) is his prophet.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Seapower seapower seapower seapower seapower seapower seapower seapower seapower seapower seapower seapower seapower seapower seapower seapower seapower seapower seapower seapower

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
5 more years of British f35 purchases ahead

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Baracula posted:

5 more years of British f35 purchases ahead

First British F-35 starts service in 2022, then

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

LowellDND posted:

So I finally finished reading the entire thread :negative:

Saw a lot of proposals for folding the USMC into the Army. As a doctrine (not as a real possibility), would it make sense to also fold the Air Force into the Navy? Considering the emphasis on Air/Sea Battle, my initial glance would give 'everything that flies and everything that floats' to this super branch, and let the Army chill out state side.

Am I completely wrong? Is there a doctrinal reason why Air Force and Navy shouldn't be best buddies?
The navy has neither the inclination nor the training to manage strategic air and space operations. The largest aircraft they have more than 20 of is a twin-engined bizjet the P-3, which they use as a dumpster for unwanted aircrew. After that, it's twin-engine bizjets.

Forums Terrorist posted:

Incorrect.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 8, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Is this list inaccurate?

Also, every time I see that page I wonder how you end up as a US army fixed wing aviator.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

oh it's on now, buddy. :mad:

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Every time I see the A-12 Avenger II, all I can think about is parking four of them in a neat little square.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Or you could just accept than America is a maritime country and that there is no God but Neptune and Alfred Thayer Mahan (pbuh) is his prophet.

Church of the latter day Friedmans, punk. :colbert:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Psion posted:

oh it's on now, buddy. :mad:

- Designed as a gunfighter
- Gun design tends to jam during BFM
- Got most of its kills with missiles
- Daytime only
- From a Naval War College paper: "In all, 1,261 Crusaders were built. By the time it was withdrawn from the fleet, 1,106 had been involved in mishaps. Only a handful of them were lost to enemy fire in Vietnam. While the F-8 statistics might have been worse than those for most other models, they make the magnitude of the problem clear: whether from engine failure, pilot error, weather, or bad luck, the vast majority (88 percent!) of Crusaders ever built ended up as smoking holes in the ground, splashes in the water, or fireballs hurtling across a flight deck."
- Still considered a relative success in Navy fighter procrement

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

- Designed as a gunfighter
- Gun design tends to jam during BFM
- Got most of its kills with missiles
- Daytime only
- From a Naval War College paper: "In all, 1,261 Crusaders were built. By the time it was withdrawn from the fleet, 1,106 had been involved in mishaps. Only a handful of them were lost to enemy fire in Vietnam. While the F-8 statistics might have been worse than those for most other models, they make the magnitude of the problem clear: whether from engine failure, pilot error, weather, or bad luck, the vast majority (88 percent!) of Crusaders ever built ended up as smoking holes in the ground, splashes in the water, or fireballs hurtling across a flight deck."
- Still considered a relative success in Navy fighter procrement

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Incorrect.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

In response to a patch about a plane introduced in 1957 you reply with a plane that was introduced in 1976.

now regardless of how seriously you or I are taking this argument that is a bad post and you are bad. Please study on how to post about the USAF by copying the mannerisms of former SA forums poster Slippery.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Psion posted:

In response to a patch about a plane introduced in 1957 you reply with a plane that was introduced in 1976.

The Crusader was retired in 1976. When we ran out of Crusaders, we actually got better at fighters. Makes you think.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

The Crusader was retired in 1976. When we ran out of Crusaders, we actually got better at fighters. Makes you think.

This is a gun forum right, 4 guns > 1 gun.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Well, you could have four of the aerial gunnery equivalent of a HiPoint JHP .45... or you could have this sweet piece of Title II awesomeness:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

What, you're saying that a gun that jams during high g forces and has severe accuracy issues is inappropriate for a fighter?!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
That's impossible, everyone knows being forced to use carriers as your airbases leads to you not asking for dumb poo poo as often.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Yay SeaMaster!

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Polikarpov posted:

Funny thing is, that's basically Drozd , in service less than five years after the book was released. That's pretty impressive for 1983 even if the thing must have sucked rear end given the basically nonexistent deployment.

EDIT : Or it's proof that even Soviet Marines love boondogles.

Kafouille fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 9, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dead Reckoning posted:

The navy has neither the inclination nor the training to manage strategic air and space operations. The largest aircraft they have more than 20 of is a twin-engined bizjet the P-3, which they use as a dumpster for unwanted aircrew. After that, it's twin-engine bizjets.

Incorrect.

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's an AF F-4D painted as Ritchie's 6-kill jet (he had 2 of those). The real one is on a stick at the Academy.