Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

psyopmonkey posted:

The steak is getting a sun tan.

The steak is taking a nap.

The steak got dressed up and went to a party.

I murdered that steak.

What did you eat today?

That's rare I hope or by God I will hunt you down

a cow and show you how it's done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

psyopmonkey posted:

I murdered that steak.

What did you eat today?

Looks like you boiled it. Worst steak ever. I am certain the freezer burn added a nice explosion to flavortown.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
hey op that steak looks disgusting and if i were served that meal at a restaurant I would flip the gently caress out

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
yeah i am going to go ahead and say it

you are bad at cooking steak

really bad

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Jeff Sichoe posted:

hey op that steak looks disgusting and if i were served that meal at a restaurant I would flip the gently caress out

I think I did a fine job.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
yeah that steak looks pretty poo poo.

get some eye fillet you scrub.

i slowcooked corned beef all yesterday and had it for dinner, it was bomb.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

It might be good. I don't know. Please take less blurry and more properly color-balanced photographs. Mushrooms look good.

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED
i think the steaks pretty good tbh. i prefer steak without any bone though. also sliced up olives may not be a conventional side dish but damned if i dont like olives and would put olives and mushroom and steak onto the fork at once and eat it and probably taste good

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Lotta undercooked steaks in this thread.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

i like well done because it makes it taste richer. rare is all raw and chewy

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

krampster2 posted:

i like well done because it makes it taste richer. rare is all raw and chewy

:agreed:

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

nice fuckin scrub-tier silverware op

im eating oatmeal and a buncha nice mulberries for dinner cause im stuck in house right now for reasons and also cause im ~85 years old

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
lil' piss bitch op can't cook a loving steak, get a griddle and some butter drat

gonna cook a medium-rare fillet (argentine meat rub) tonight with mushrooms

love me some fillet

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Today at the supermarket I was buying a big thing of sea salt in one of those containers that has it's own grinder on the base, a bit fancy, but not all the way fancy, when out of nowhere a lady working there tried to upsell me to that pink Himalayan salt because it's "better for you."

I told her that I was against building salt mines in the Himalayas on principle, and she got really embarrassed like she wasn't environmental enough.

Jokes on you lady, I don't know anything about Himalayan salt mining practices, there's probably nothing wrong with it, but I bet she'll stop buying it now.

edit: in case youre wondering, this post is relevant because i am about to put some on a steak

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

monkey posted:

Today at the supermarket I was buying a big thing of sea salt in one of those containers that has it's own grinder on the base, a bit fancy, but not all the way fancy, when out of nowhere a lady working there tried to upsell me to that pink Himalayan salt because it's "better for you."

I told her that I was against building salt mines in the Himalayas on principle, and she got really embarrassed like she wasn't environmental enough.

Jokes on you lady, I don't know anything about Himalayan salt mining practices, there's probably nothing wrong with it, but I bet she'll stop buying it now.

edit: in case youre wondering, this post is relevant because i am about to put some on a steak

i just noticed your avatar moves a little bit

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
steak is steak but that cut is p bad. Still looks tasty in the end tho so i approve

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

krampster2 posted:

I am eating a steak right now

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

krampster2 posted:

woaaah

woah

it does

lordoftheT
Feb 2, 2015

Check out this cool dog!
I think we need more information on how you prepared this steak. This is purely for the purposes of getting to the bottom of this thread and not because I kinda feel like doing steak tonight.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
If you don't like a pink/rose steak, you're weird. If you don't like steak cooked on the bone, you're weird.

ANYWAY I made steak today

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

mng posted:

If you don't like a pink/rose steak, you're weird. If you don't like steak cooked on the bone, you're weird.

nice plate of wet poo poo you got there

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Big Beef City posted:

Who the gently caress eats sliced up cocktail olives as a vegetable side dish?
The gently caress is wrong with you?

Answer to this affront, OP.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

A misanthrope posted:

Thanks, man. It's for my no carb diet!

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
OP you need to work on your sear game

ain't nothing wrong with a rare steak but if it don't got that sear I don't want nothing to do with it

phobo
Aug 7, 2008
You guys make some lovely looking steaks

Gay Fry
Apr 27, 2014

esn2500
Mar 2, 2015

Some asshole told me to get fucked and eat shit so I got fucked and ate shit

A misanthrope posted:

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

mng posted:

oh nice! sewage marinade?

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast
Jesus gently caress this is like the holocaust of steak threads.

gently caress...just

ugh

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
What's with all the bone-in ribsteak hate in this thread? It's a pro tier steak cut. All steak cuts have their role though, so because I am procrastinating at work I have prepared this handy reference guide to help you:

Filet mignon
Taken from the tenderloin in the short loin, filet mignon is the tenderest cut, and when high quality and richly marbled you can almost cut it with a fork. In humans the muscle equivalent, the soaz muscle, would be tough due to our bipedal stance, but in cows it is fairly unused. Sometimes it takes on a slight liver flavour, but is not generally the most intensely flavoured cut, and is more prized for its texture. Best served rare, and cut thickly. As, when butchered well, it has no gristle or connective tissue, it is also suitable for serving raw in steak tartare or slightly cured in beef carpaccio. As the most expensive and sought-after cut, little more need be said of it.

Ribsteak
An intensely flavourful, beefy-tasting and moderately tender cut, with lines of tough fat separating the outer piece from the ribeye. This is a steak-lover's cut, as some people are put off by the significant amount of fat and gristle. However, these also keep the steak juicy and delicious. The outer section, just below where the fat cap attaches on a prime rib (which is the same cut but prepared as a roast rather than individual steaks), is probably the most flavourful part. Generally this steak tolerates higher cooking temperatures to give adequate time to render down the tough fat in it, so it is still excellent at medium. Of all steak cuts, it probably benefits the most from using a grill to get some char from the fat flare-ups, while I personally prefer other steak cuts to be pan-seared. Great with fried mushrooms and onions, and maybe a dollop of rocquefort butter.

Ribeye
Similar to above, with the outer portion and bone removed. It is the circular central portion of the ribsteak, or 'eye'; due to its filet-mignon-like shape, it is referred to in French as faux-filet. Sometimes a portion of the outer meat and the fat between them remain as well. It has all the benefits of the above cut (good flavour, good texture - an all-around solid steak) but lacks the additional flavour and textural differences from the bone and outer portion, and it is more accessible to steak amateurs as it is edible in its entirety when trimmed properly. Best served medium-rare.

New York Striploin (or sirloin in UK)
The other cut from the short loin, the NY Strip is another great all-around with a bit more flavour and fat than a tenderloin but often a bit more tender and more easily accessible than a ribsteak. Depending on the end of the loin it is cut from, it may have more or less internal gristle; often the gristlier end is sliced thin and served as steak sandwiches. This cut is best cut thick and served medium rare; if trimmed thoroughly it is also enjoyable rare, and due to the significant marbling and often presence of harder fat, will stand up to medium just fine as well.

Porterhouse or T-bone
Cut transverse across the lumbar vertebrae, this cut's signature T-shaped bone has a NY Strip cut on one side, and tenderloin on the smaller side. Despite much argument, the only real difference between them is that the Porterhouse is cut from the wider end of the tenderloin so the portion of tenderloin is larger, while the T-bone is cut from the narrower end of the tenderloin. This steak really is the best of both worlds, and is great on a flame grill, but one word of caution: it really wants to be thickly cut, but due to its double-steak nature will turn into a 24oz + monster quite quickly. Also, the meat along the bone will always be less cooked than the meat near the outside, so you will get a temperature gradient from blue-rare at the bone to med-rare-med on the perimeter unless cooking sous-vide.

Top sirloin
This cut, earning the name ‘baseball-cut’ due to the very thick, round shape it is often cut in, is quite interesting as it is less expensive than the others mentioned, and has the most beefy flavour. It is also very lean, with little to no marbling; this means it will never have the level of tenderness of the more premium cuts, but as long as it is served rare will still be juicy and soft enough. A high skill-cap steak for pro steak lovers, it should be served rare or rare-med-rare; if you enjoy eating steak medium-well, or well-done, kill you’re self and definitely choose a different cut.

Flank steak, skirt steak,
These less premium cuts are nevertheless packed with flavour. Their shape (long and thin) tends to make them more difficult to use as a solid steak, and they are often used for fajitas and other dishes in which they can be sliced against the grain for greater tenderness – as they are naturally more exercised, and tougher. They are also sometimes marinated prior to cooking, or slow cooked/braised for additional tenderness.

Rump, roasting joints, brisket, etc.
There are many other delicious parts of the cow which can be prepared as steaks or in other ways. Cheaper does not mean worse! Less expensive cuts may require more skill or time to prepare, but they often pay dividends of flavour. For example, brisket is inexpensive, but when slow cooked (smoked, roast, bbq’d, braised, etc) it becomes incredibly tender as the connective tissues transform from collagen to gelatin. Experiment and explore! Anyone can take premium ingredients like filet mignon and make something tasty, but show off your cooking chops by taking some inspiration from Rumpelstiltskin and spin straw into gold!

Sadly, the days of cheap off-cuts are gone; as gastropubs and modern chefs drive the popularity of formerly inexpensive parts like oxtail, shortrib, or even chicken wings, their prices surge and draw closer to the prices of premium parts. Chicken wings in many places are now almost as expensive as boneless skinless chicken breast, or my personal favourite, bone-in skin-on thighs.

Artificial Idiocy fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 11, 2015

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Dead Gay Romans posted:

Jesus gently caress this is like the holocaust of steak threads.

gently caress...just

ugh

the 9/11 of steak threads

oi gezalt!

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

mng didn't make that steak today you fuckin dum dums

esn2500
Mar 2, 2015

Some asshole told me to get fucked and eat shit so I got fucked and ate shit
do you even steak bro

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
this is all you need to make a good steak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEx9gPhtjzs

i also add gordon's rosemary potatoes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Wvs5TKRRU

up your game from garbage steak making

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

psyopmonkey posted:

I murdered that steak.

What did you eat today?

That is one cheap-rear end, gristly-looking, piece of crappy meat. I wouldn't eat that, and I'm not being "funny" or "ironic.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

made a tasty steak today guys let me just post a pic of this bad boy

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

oh this beauty? just my lunch. no big deal

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

hey guys check this scrumptious piece of meat i just made

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast

A misanthrope posted:

made a tasty steak today guys let me just post a pic of this bad boy

That's a nice steak you got there, but you gotta season quality meat like that a little,

fried up this bad boy for me and the family last night, best steak we ever had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Dead Gay Romans posted:

That's a nice steak you got there, but you gotta season quality meat like that a little,

fried up this bad boy for me and the family last night, best steak we ever had

Now that's good eatin. You need to post that in GWS and show those hacks how it's done.

• Locked thread