Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Gus Hobbleton posted:

yeah as much as i dont want to see it go im wondering where it can go from here without just retreading old ground or descending into trash tier daytime tv

also to the dude who keeps on talking about he doesnt like the show, then dont watch it. its okay not to like things, even if other people like them! subjectivity exists!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
finished ancillary justice. i liked Breq and Seivarden but some of the other characters (Anaander Mianaai, the other lieutenants) felt flat to me. also everyone must be hyped up on caffeine because they're drinking tea every 5 minutes.

is the sequel any good?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
not as good but still well worth reading

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
there's a sequel :psyduck:?

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Kuvo posted:

finished ancillary justice. i liked Breq and Seivarden but some of the other characters (Anaander Mianaai, the other lieutenants) felt flat to me. also everyone must be hyped up on caffeine because they're drinking tea every 5 minutes.

is the sequel any good?
i didn't dislike the book or it's sequel but her writing style gets to me a little. almost feels like fanfiction. her stories and characters and ideas are all good just something about the prose doesn't do it for me.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
it felt crazy drawn out to me, everything was so loooong and sloooooooow i've picked it up and put it down like 3 times now and i doubt i'll ever finish it

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

cns: a girl walks home alone at night

it's loving gorgeous and filled with pretty people

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Strumpy posted:

i didn't dislike the book or it's sequel but her writing style gets to me a little. almost feels like fanfiction. her stories and characters and ideas are all good just something about the prose doesn't do it for me.

Really? I thought the writing was exceptional, especially for sci-fi. My only beef/annoyance with the book was that I couldn't stop trying to figure out people's gender. Which proves whatever point she was trying to make, I guess. e: Or maybe just thinking that she must have been making a point EXPOSES MY MISOGYNY??????????

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 13, 2015

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
did anyone see mad max yet?

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
ancillary justice is next on my list because the cover is rad

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

at the date posted:

Really? I thought the writing was exceptional, especially for sci-fi. My only beef/annoyance with the book was that I couldn't stop trying to figure out people's gender. Which proves whatever point she was trying to make, I guess. e: Or maybe just thinking that she must have been making a point EXPOSES MY MISOGYNY??????????

i didn't mind the her/she thing from a world building or social commentary standpoint but it got really annoying when there was a conversation with 3+ people and everything was "she said..." because it gets hard to keep track of who is referring to who. it didnt help that several characters had very similar names

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Amethyst posted:

yes, about 34 years ago

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Kirk posted:

ancillary justice is next on my list because the cover is rad

i want a wallpaper version

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
started reading the forever war because of you nerds. its good so far.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Kuvo posted:

it didnt help that several characters had very similar names

Yes, this would be very confusing if you were eight years old and the story were being read out loud to you by your special needs teacher.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

finished Legion of the Damned; apart from the occasional big boobs out of nowhere and a couple of your standard bad scifi writer sexy scenes (one with a sexy cat girl alien no less) it wasn't too terrible. the different types of cyborg the space foreign legion was comprised of was p. cool.

for a quid I'm happy enough.

lol at viable human-alien offspring tho.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
"I never thought I'd be looking towards mad max as a rousing feminist chaser to a joss whedon film, but here we are."

lol

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

at the date posted:

Yes, this would be very confusing if you were eight years old and the story were being read out loud to you by your special needs teacher.

:saddowns:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

saucepanman posted:

i want a wallpaper version

took a stab at it

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Crusader posted:

took a stab at it

i love this style of cover art

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Crusader posted:

took a stab at it

danke good sir

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Crusader posted:

took a stab at it

man i love scifi cover art

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

saturn's children aka: a purple haired android pimped out my gay rear end

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
My Robot Servant Turned Me Into A Gay Cyborg

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!

Amethyst posted:

gonna go on friday. all signs point to it being at minimum a fun action flick.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm already seeing people frothing mad over FEMALES in the film so all signs are pretty good.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SynthOrange posted:

I'm already seeing people frothing mad over FEMALES in the film so all signs are pretty good.

[L]et us be clear. … This is the Trojan Horse feminists and Hollywood leftists will use to (vainly) insist on the trope women are equal to men in all things, including physique, strength, and logic. And this is the subterfuge they will use to blur the lines between masculinity and femininity, further ruining women for men, and men for women.

men in America and around the world are going to be duped by explosions, fire tornadoes, and desert raiders into seeing what is guaranteed to be nothing more than feminist propaganda, while at the same time being insulted AND tricked into viewing a piece of American culture ruined and rewritten right in front of their very eyes.

And what’s the end game of all this horse poo poo? That Alpha men will start finding bald, androgyonous women with anger issues attractive? Yeah, when pigs fly…
Again, another fail on the part of Team Feminism. As it has been noted many times, they do not get to order men what to be attracted to. Erections cannot be legislated. Only a man of supreme thirst would find this angynous thing attractive.
And the women who choose to impersonate Theron’s look in this movie will always be relagated to the same position – bridesmaid, cat lady, or beta male abuser.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

bald, androgyonous women with anger issues

text me

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

men in America and around the world are going to be duped by explosions, fire tornadoes, and desert raiders into seeing what is guaranteed to be nothing more than feminist propaganda, while at the same time being insulted AND tricked into viewing a piece of American culture ruined and rewritten right in front of their very eyes.

but mad max was an australian film :confused:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

saucepanman posted:

but mad max was an australian film :confused:

yeah it's amazing isn't it

on that note, the wifu and i are going to see it this afternoon

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I can't wait to see the new Mad Max. Might Gold Class it this weekend

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i have prima so i watched mad max at home this past weekend. it's pretty good.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i wasn't going to see mad max but all the mra whining means i kinda have to because those guys can eat poo poo

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Cold on a Cob posted:

i wasn't going to see mad max but all the mra whining means i kinda have to because those guys can eat poo poo

same

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Cold on a Cob posted:

i wanna emptyquote this but also i was gonna see it so...

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
mrw mra in mm? ftl

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When I think of teh movie where an asutralia dude drives really fast and blows poo poo up, i think about the struggle of gender in american society. Im normal.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

[L]et us be clear. … This is the Trojan Horse feminists and Hollywood leftists will use to (vainly) insist on the trope women are equal to men in all things, including physique, strength, and logic. And this is the subterfuge they will use to blur the lines between masculinity and femininity, further ruining women for men, and men for women.

And what’s the end game of all this horse poo poo? That Alpha men will start finding bald, androgyonous women with anger issues attractive? Yeah, when pigs fly…
Again, another fail on the part of Team Feminism. As it has been noted many times, they do not get to order men what to be attracted to. Erections cannot be legislated. Only a man of supreme thirst would find this angynous thing attractive.
And the women who choose to impersonate Theron’s look in this movie will always be relagated to the same position – bridesmaid, cat lady, or beta male abuser.

he's not wrong. I'm tired of being told that women are our equal. Just because I have a solid C cup man boobs does NOT make me a woman. I'm better in every way because I was lucky enough to be born white and with a penis.

Futhermore....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
new mad max looks rad as hell

• Locked thread