Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
This is so cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

John Liver posted:

Ooooh, that's interesting. You get to choose who goes into the airshaft? That's a clever way to mix things up, but the vent section definitely looks more frustrating than scary.

I was conflicted over whether to leave the many deaths of Ellen "Ovaries of Steel" Ripley in or edit them out, but in the end I decided I'd try and bring home how trial-and-error that whole segment is. Oddly, I managed it on the first try when I first got the game, but that was because I charged through it while barely letting Lambert get a word in edgewise. It's pretty tough with this game to show everything off while still A) surviving, and B) keeping the tension up. It can be really exciting and tense encounter if you're running through with the alien on your heels, but for these attempts the crafty bastard got in front of me nearly every time.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014
I've never seen the Nostromo DLC. It was really well done, but it's been so long since I've seen the original movie that the Nostromo struck me as identical to the Torrens. Was that asset recycling, or was it accurate to the movie? Because if it is, it's a hell of a coincidence that the Torrens looks so similar to the Nostromo. Though I suppose they must be mass-produced or something of the sort.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

my dad posted:

That vent chase looks hella frustrating.

This illustrates the big downside of survival horror. It's unnerving and evocative and suspenseful... right up until you die a couple of times, at which point it just becomes a chore. I'm loving this LP, but I'm glad I don't have to play through the game myself.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

The Torrens is an identical class of ship to the Nostromo, minus the refinery hanging out of its arse. I think it's definitely deliberately similar and the asset reuse is just a handy shortcut for producing the DLC.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Maybe having an impersonator do Ash was the better choice. You can really hear the age in Yaphet Kotto's and Veronica Cartwright's voices.

A game mechanic that lets you hold your breath? Insane. There should be DLC that lets you play Newt before she gets saved.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

davidspackage posted:

Maybe having an impersonator do Ash was the better choice. You can really hear the age in Yaphet Kotto's and Veronica Cartwright's voices.

A game mechanic that lets you hold your breath? Insane. There should be DLC that lets you play Newt before she gets saved.

Yeah, they really do sound like they're getting on in years. Tom Skerritt's line delivery also sounds very aged indeed.

I seem to remember Newt only got rescued because she could summon that crystal-shattering banshee scream at the drop of a hat, but any game or DLC that involves Sigourney Weaver would be awesome. The rest of the cast for the Nostromo sound a little like they're phoning it in, but I think she'd have lent her voice for free.

EDIT: VVVVVVVVV

Because he wasn't Ellen Ripley, of course.

TomViolence fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 14, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

And now we see why Dallas got his rear end handed to him in those vents, I see.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014
Sigourney Weaver is quite possibly one of my favourite actresses, and I'm really glad she seems to have become a huge fan of her previous work. Typically actors tend to distance themselves from their early years, but it's good that Sigourney just has a blast playing Ripley and is willing to give a great performance whenever she's hired to do it.

Ripley's character's also pretty drat amazing in everything she's in (though admittedly I haven't seen any of the Expanded Universe).

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I don't know, the alien remained consistently scary throughout all the deaths, mostly because it doesn't talk and therefore cannot spot anything stupid to lower its terror factor,.

I'm looking at you outlast and your "little pig, little pip" spouting purser.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Buffalo squeeze posted:

They got Yaphet Kotto to do a little voice part? That was neat.

I always had a soft spot for him as Mr. Big in Live and Let Die, but until you said his name I never made the connection that it was him in Alien. I don't know why, he is a very distinctive actor and a good one I just never thought about it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ZeusCannon posted:

I always had a soft spot for him as Mr. Big in Live and Let Die, but until you said his name I never made the connection that it was him in Alien. I don't know why, he is a very distinctive actor and a good one I just never thought about it.

I believe his success with Live and Let Die is actually what inspired them to send him a script and ask if he wanted to audition.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

davidspackage posted:

There should be DLC that lets you play Newt before she gets saved.

That would be freaking awesome! Or, at least, could.

inflatablefish posted:

This illustrates the big downside of survival horror. It's unnerving and evocative and suspenseful... right up until you die a couple of times, at which point it just becomes a chore. I'm loving this LP, but I'm glad I don't have to play through the game myself.

This is exactly how I feel about the hotel in Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines; it's a really awesome area with some incredibly freaky setpieces and atmosphere. And then you play it for the fourth time, and it feels more like a chore. It's a real shame when that happens.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Just checking in to say I'm still working on the next update, but the game is kicking my rear end right now. Sorry for the delay.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If the game's too hard to work with, could you drop the difficulty level?

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

azren posted:

This is exactly how I feel about the hotel in Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines; it's a really awesome area with some incredibly freaky setpieces and atmosphere. And then you play it for the fourth time, and it feels more like a chore. It's a real shame when that happens.

The good thing about the hotel is that it can't kill you (unless you get flattened by the elevator, and you get warned about that) so at least it won't kill the suspense for you the first time through. You're right that it does make subsequent playthroughs a bit pointless, but I'll forgive it simply because it does the first time so well.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

inflatablefish posted:

The good thing about the hotel is that it can't kill you (unless you get flattened by the elevator, and you get warned about that) so at least it won't kill the suspense for you the first time through. You're right that it does make subsequent playthroughs a bit pointless, but I'll forgive it simply because it does the first time so well.

Except from diary entries, which are terrible.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Gantolandon posted:

Except from diary entries, which are terrible.

Oh, I dunno, there is something charming about someone transcribing their last thoughts as a frantic stream of consciousness. "Oh no he's outside right now" etc. That's real dedication to clichéed horror tropes.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
There's a couple of creepy moments in the hotel that you can miss on a first playthrough too. I remember turning down one corridor only to reach a dead end and then turning around and seeing you know who standing right behind me for a brief second. Caused me to flip my poo poo.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm glad to see someone LP this right. I've been waiting for that since I beat the game...on wussy-baby-normal mode. I don't know what possessed you to do nightmare mode, but it is cool to see how the game ramps up the difficulty. The faulty motion tracker is a killer for me. Even if it does give away your position, I need to know where it is. Without it, the game would be too hard for me.

Looking forward to more videos.

Also, it's nice to see this game run right. My PC can't play it and I don't have a PS4 so I got the PS3 version. They really did not put a lot of effort porting it back.

Edit: You said to avoid lockers like the plague. Why? Sure, on nightmare, he probably always searches them if you're in it and you can't afford the HP loss for holding your breath for too long, but I think it's a fine strategy on lower difficulty.

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 30, 2015

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

TomViolence posted:

Just checking in to say I'm still working on the next update, but the game is kicking my rear end right now. Sorry for the delay.

Just found this LP after giving this game a try myself by renting the ps3 version through gamefly. Playing it isn't my cup of tea, but I've marathoned through this LP. At first I wasn't sure of the subtitled format, but after watching all the videos out so far I agree with the decision, and am very much looking forward to the next update.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Khisanth Magus posted:

Just found this LP after giving this game a try myself by renting the ps3 version through gamefly. Playing it isn't my cup of tea, but I've marathoned through this LP. At first I wasn't sure of the subtitled format, but after watching all the videos out so far I agree with the decision, and am very much looking forward to the next update.

I'm sorry you had to subject yourself to the PS3 port of this game, but at least you're enjoying the game in some way. :unsmith:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

TomViolence posted:

You hang in there, TomViolence! Do it for all us timid gamers who are scared of Xenomorphs!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Skippy Granola posted:

all us timid gamers

As a timid gamer who can't even deal with the Silent Realms in Skyward Sword, I'm really appreciative that this LP is being given some really superb treatment.

Every time there's a scare and your mouse hand jerks, I breath a sigh of relief and don't feel so alone in the land of scaredy cats :unsmith:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

larchesdanrew posted:

As a timid gamer who can't even deal with the Silent Realms in Skyward Sword, I'm really appreciative that this LP is being given some really superb treatment.

Every time there's a scare and your mouse hand jerks, I breath a sigh of relief and don't feel so alone in the land of scaredy cats :unsmith:

My problem is less the scared thing and more that I find these days I have a lot less patience for games where you die over and over again than I used to.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

It's time to pull the thread out of hypersleep again, because we got another

Part 7: Narnia - The Dark Descent

In which we play hide and seek with creepy bald men who are in no way related to me and make a succession of startling discoveries.

Gas Mask

Such a memorable and consistently useful item I can't even find a picture of it. It is absolutely vital to have it in order to access a few areas in the game, but the list is dwindlingly small and thus the gas mask is pretty unremarkable in the grand scheme of things.

Bolt Gun

Rugged, dangerous and temperamental, Amanda Ripley demands a weapon to match her personality. The bolt gun, a weaponised piece of engineering equipment, more than fills that role. It can only hold one shot at a time, takes a couple seconds to charge its attack and has rare ammunition, but it can kill just about anything that can be killed in one well-placed shot.

Ion Torch

Burny torch. It cut metal gooder than other burny torch. It good.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

I loving knew it.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Well, that... that was one way to end the video. :stare: But yeah, anyone familiar with this franchise in any loving capacity knows that the Aliens are never that easy to get rid of...(And it's not as if those silly blue men are compelling or vicious enough to be the antagonists for the rest of the game anyway.)

You know a scene I really like? That bit in the reactor was really good; did a great job of selling the scope and strangeness of the sort of power source that would power a whole station. The lightning flashers from a near constant storm, the seeming bottomlessness of the room (does the room in fact have a bottom? I assume it doesn't open out into space as Ripley had no trouble speaking or breathing...) And then of course, there's the scene that sends every Alien fan squeeing like a schoolgirl at a pop concert....

Solid update, all in all. ;This was the point for me that the game picks up and stays up till the end, so looking forward to the next one (you tease, Tom!).

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Agreed. That reactor room is a beautiful set-piece.

Also oh dear god the ending aaahhhhhh gently caress I understand now how the game was kicking your rear end.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Aww, I wish you hadn't spoiled it like that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Tom, I feel like you are going to regret expending all of your boltgun and shotgun ammo to avoid sneaking through the reactor area.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Weaponizing engineering tools? Was Issac Clarke stomping around Sevastapol before Ripley showed up.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Yeah you'd think that with how loving annoying the Suit Joes are and how the whole game has been leading up to this little talk with Apollo that the very difficult and annoying stealth section in the core would be the end of the game right?

Hahahahahahahha :suicide:

I'd also like to mention to everybody to keep in mind while watching the videos on this next part of the game that there are achievements for (which can all be done separately and not on the hardest difficulty thankfully)

1.Beating the game without killing any Working Joe's (not sure if Suit Joe's count but i'm sure they do)
2.Beating the game without dying

Honestly from this point on is where the game goes from "really fun but unfair at times" to "all unfair all the goddamn time we hate you player" and it becomes less about using your smarts and more about being lucky and knowing in advance where things are going to be. Because that little teaser at the end of the latest video? It's just the loving beginning.

Game over man, Game over!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I'd also like to mention to everybody to keep in mind while watching the videos on this next part of the game that there are achievements for (which can all be done separately and not on the hardest difficulty thankfully)

2.Beating the game without dying

It's mean of them to put in impossible-to-complete fake out achievements like that

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

CJacobs posted:

It's mean of them to put in impossible-to-complete fake out achievements like that

Mkay i was kinda wrong there,there IS an achievement for beating the game without dying but there isn't one for beating the game without killing Joes, i got it mixed up with just completing an early game part without getting attacked by a Joe my bad :v:

BUT keep in mind that there is an achievement to beat the game without dying, which i just don't understand how they expect you to do it unless you're allowed to quite out to the main menu and reload your game if you die and therefore making it more tedious than anything.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's what I mean, that beating the game without dying is an impossible to complete fake out achievement, I think you missed the joke there

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Mkay i was kinda wrong there,there IS an achievement for beating the game without dying but there isn't one for beating the game without killing Joes, i got it mixed up with just completing an early game part without getting attacked by a Joe my bad :v:

BUT keep in mind that there is an achievement to beat the game without dying, which i just don't understand how they expect you to do it unless you're allowed to quite out to the main menu and reload your game if you die and therefore making it more tedious than anything.

On my hard replay I made it from mission 9 (the Marshal Bureau) to late in mission 17 (there are 18 missions in the entire game) without dying, which includes a lot of the most difficult bits. It's not impossible by any means.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Beat the game without making eye contact with a Working Joe, falling in love, and moving to Wyoming to raise your robabies

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
This looks cool but I can't really tell when the alien is actually a threat, is a cutscene, or is just the LP'er hamming it up. Like as the gamer, what are the gameplay mechanics for running/avoiding/dealing with the alien, and how does that translate into gameplay strategy?

edit: is there always a chance the alien can just pop out and kill you from whenever? Is it based on RNG?

edit 2: does the player need to be spinning away and back and away and back from a door/save point/interaction with timed object all the time? Is the player doing that? Or forced cutscene stuff?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

This looks cool but I can't really tell when the alien is actually a threat, is a cutscene, or is just the LP'er hamming it up. Like as the gamer, what are the gameplay mechanics for running/avoiding/dealing with the alien, and how does that translate into gameplay strategy?

edit: is there always a chance the alien can just pop out and kill you from whenever? Is it based on RNG?

I believe that any time the Xeno is around and you're not in a cutscene, it can kill you. Exactly when it appears and how close it wanders to you is seemingly based on the area, with certain areas being scripted to have it disappear to give you a breather or focus on other enemies. When it appears, it wanders randomly and actually travels through the vents (it's not rendered, but it's also not just teleporting). It does appear to be programmed to wander closer to Amanda when you're sneaking, presumably to increase tension and give more moments where you see it dramatically stomping right past your hidey-hole and seemingly coming within inches of spotting you. But I don't think it's ever scripted to catch you for no reason outside of cutscene moments.

It does truly wander randomly and is drawn by stimuli (like noisemakers or leaving doors open as it "learns" your behavior), but the most the out-of-cutscene scripting does is make it take paths a little closer to you when the game wants to add challenge or freak you out. It's playing fair.

• Locked thread