Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
So, uh, what's wrong with the QNIX? Because one or two of those seem like a no-brainer kind of way to go, if they're good. But that eBay site appears to have been written by a Nigerian prince.

Ideally, I'm looking for a good price:performance ratio, and I don't mind putting in some work to overclock (and five minutes ago, I didn't even know monitor overclocking was a thing), so that seems like my best bet.

The Acer seems like it'd be about 3 times as much for what would likely be a 10-20% improvement, if I'm reading the specs right? And I don't think I'd want a 39" monitor on my desk; I'd go for an ultrawide before that, I feel like.

Thank you for the recommendations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

So, uh, what's wrong with the QNIX? Because one or two of those seem like a no-brainer kind of way to go, if they're good. But that eBay site appears to have been written by a Nigerian prince.

Ideally, I'm looking for a good price:performance ratio, and I don't mind putting in some work to overclock (and five minutes ago, I didn't even know monitor overclocking was a thing), so that seems like my best bet.

The Acer seems like it'd be about 3 times as much for what would likely be a 10-20% improvement, if I'm reading the specs right? And I don't think I'd want a 39" monitor on my desk; I'd go for an ultrawide before that, I feel like.

Thank you for the recommendations!

The QNIX ships from Korea, and the reason why it's so cheap is because they're built with LED panels that OEMs like Samsung rejected to use in their own products. These panels CAN BE perfectly with regards to dead pixels/trapped dust/backlight bleed, but still get thrown out for any a number of other reasons. QNIX buys and shoves these panels into cheap housings to make cheap monitors and sell them.

Upsides:
- Cost, as you see.
- Overclocking. Very simple if you have an NVidia card, slightly more complicated if you've got AMD, but there's a lot of information/guides. It varies based on how nice a panel you're shipped, but some owners report being able to go to 120Hz refresh rate, though the highest rate you can get dependably seems to be 96Hz.
- 1440p display

Downsides:
- Spotty QC. Sometimes there are dead pixels or dust in the panels. Some panels come offset in the monitor casing, requiring you to either open it up and reseat it yourself or ask for a new unit, which can suck because...
- It ships from Korea, and you'll need to ship it back to Korea if you want a replacement, if they'll even offer one.
- lovely stand. Can't adjust it at all, and in my case it came poorly cast/drilled so it wobbled a lot if I touched it. Everyone recommends picking up a nice VESA mount if you don't already have one (can run another 20-50 bucks depending on the type you want)
- lovely buttons/features. There are brightness buttons but no indicator of what level you're on. There are volume buttons but my speaker sounded like hot garbage no matter what I tried, YMMV though.
- Korean power plug, but it comes with a US AC/DC adapter.
- Only supports Dual Link DVI cables, no HDMI.

If I were you I'd look up return policies/experiences with people who needed to return it before I bought one, but I gambled on it and don't regret it at all. EDIT: additional downside and rewording for clarity.

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 14, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I have a qnix for sale on samart

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720099&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post445323012

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

The Acer seems like it'd be about 3 times as much for what would likely be a 10-20% improvement, if I'm reading the specs right?

Look into what G-Sync does, in practice the Acer will look a lot smoother than a fixed sync display like the QNIX even if you crank its refresh rate way up.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Thirst Mutilator posted:

- lovely buttons/features. There are brightness buttons but no indicator of what level you're on.

For gaming this is a good thing, though. My old 2008 30" IPS has better response time than most recent IPS screens due to the lack of OSD/scaler.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Truga posted:

For gaming this is a good thing, though. My old 2008 30" IPS has better response time than most recent IPS screens due to the lack of OSD/scaler.

Does OSD affect that? The scaler I understand, but I didn't know that having OSD capability impacted latency.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Zorilla posted:

39" and Above 4K
AMH A399U - $600
Crossover 44K (out of reasonably priced stock) - $680 when last sold by non-insane people

I think the ship has sailed on the Crossover, one eBay seller says they're not getting any more stock because Crossover is releasing a new model that uses a different panel. I emailed dream-seller about their stock but didn't hear back.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

Does OSD affect that? The scaler I understand, but I didn't know that having OSD capability impacted latency.

I guess it can depend on implementation, but consensus on the internet is that since OSD requires some sort of image processing that yes, you will get extra latency.

I'm guessing most of the higher cost monitors will have a separate buffer for OSD and just plaster that over your picture, but who knows what all these <$500 27"+ IPS screens do.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Papercut posted:

I think the ship has sailed on the Crossover, one eBay seller says they're not getting any more stock because Crossover is releasing a new model that uses a different panel. I emailed dream-seller about their stock but didn't hear back.

EDXglobal said they were expecting more in Mid-may. Since that message, they restocked and sold out again, so you're probably right.

Let us know how your AMH monitor ends up working out for you when you get it. I'm interested in whether the glare ends up being a hindrance, or if it's no worse than something like an iMac.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Zorilla posted:

EDXglobal said they were expecting more in Mid-may. Since that message, they restocked and sold out again, so you're probably right.

Let us know how your AMH monitor ends up working out for you when you get it. I'm interested in whether the glare ends up being a hindrance, or if it's no worse than something like an iMac.

I ended up canceling the order because I changed my mind again. :downs:

I realized that having my desk in a Victorian south-facing window (so windows on 3 sides) probably means I should really prioritize anti-glare.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

Look into what G-Sync does, in practice the Acer will look a lot smoother than a fixed sync display like the QNIX even if you crank its refresh rate way up.
Okay, that actually looks really good. Now I'm leaning towards the Acer. Is there anything coming out in the near future worth holding out for? Any expected big sales or anything?

I'm not unwilling to drop that kind of money, but I'm not in any rush, either, especially if waiting a little bit will save me some dough or get me a substantially better monitor.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I think I should mention that going by a (tiny) sample size of this thread, chances of getting a lovely acer and having to RMA it due to dead pixels/backlight bleed/etc. is about 50%?

I'd say for that kind of price, that's simply unacceptable, but people seem to be going for it anyway :shrug:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Hopefully the second lot is a bit better. It's as much of a lottery as getting something shipped from Korea.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
It's a bit of a toss up because for a week or so this thread had 10-15 people buying Qnix or that other Korean special, myself included, and I don't think anyone was interested in actually returning the things because the defects were more or less invisible. I can only see mine under pure black and even then they aren't something that interfere with the actual picture because they are two .5mm diameter circles that are just slightly lighter then the background. Some people did hate their mounts though.

If price is at all an issue (I could never afford a 270BU atm), the Qnix is really, really good at $220. If it's not, then yeah you have other great options. The Acer defect thing is pretty ridiculous though when it's a $800 monitor.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 12:17 on May 15, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The RoG Swift had similar extreme QC issues when it first launched, lot of people from this thread even bought and then returned them. While crappy, I think it is not unexpected for first-of-their-kind supermonitors.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Yeah I'm almost thinking I would rather get that middle-of-the-road BenQ and maybe doubling up in a couple of years when G-Sync/Freesync is a bit more mature.

But then again I'm not going to buy anything until August so I can wait and see for a little while longer. IF Acer can sort that poo poo out, then I'm in. But that seems like a pretty big if at the moment.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mozi posted:

Holy poo poo, there it is. No question about it. This is awesome.

On closer inspection there's another two dead pixels and a little dust in a couple of the corners but overall it's a good one. I'll just not stare at a test screen long enough to change my initial impressions.

GSync is great, 3Dmark looked smooth at under 30fps. 144hz is great, it's like somebody buttered up the whole monitor experience. Love it.

If I remember there's some burn in patterns you can run for a while that are reasonably effective at fixing dead pixels.

E: actually that's for stuck pixels, it looks like for dead pixels you're supposed to gently rub it with a microfiber cloth

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 15, 2015

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have experience with pico/nano/mino LED projectors for light-duty home entertainment purposes? In other words, I am not going to complain if the resolution is not equal to a 4k monitor or even 1080p (720p would be nice though). We are moving to a new house and want to have a screen-free downstairs for aesthetic reasons, but being able to hide a little projector on a shelf somewhere and put out reasonable looking video off of an Apple TV would be nice.

The AAXA P450 mode looks nice, for starters.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Arn't they like, a 42" tv and its 6ft away from the wall?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Smashing Link posted:

Does anyone have experience with pico/nano/mino LED projectors for light-duty home entertainment purposes? In other words, I am not going to complain if the resolution is not equal to a 4k monitor or even 1080p (720p would be nice though). We are moving to a new house and want to have a screen-free downstairs for aesthetic reasons, but being able to hide a little projector on a shelf somewhere and put out reasonable looking video off of an Apple TV would be nice.

The biggest issue with pico projectors is the low amount of light they put out. For reference the one you're looking at is 450 lumens while a standard home theater projector is in the 3000-3500 range.

Depending on how far away the projector is from the wall you want to display it on a pico projector might be totally washed out unless the room was very dark.

Just to be clear you don't want a screen in the room but you're still going to have a blank wall for the projector to use?

The real answer is to get one of these. :homebrew:

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

I just replaced my Dell 23" from 2011 (U2311h ) With an ASUS 29" ultra-wide from 2013(?) (PB298Q) and holy crap. I thought the only difference would be a bigger screen, but the image is much, much more crisp on the PB298Q and the contrast is a LOT better. Just thought I'd put that out there fore general info purposes.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Smashing Link posted:

To echo this, they just don't throw enough light to be a serious option for movies. Newegg had a couple 3000-lumen 1080p-native cinema projectors for $600 this week, that's what I'd suggest if you wanted to buy new.

If you happen to be anywhere near Michigan, I have a big projector (Powerlite 8150i, 3200 lumens, 1024x768 native, the kind that hang from the ceilings in classrooms) that I've been trying to flog off on Craigslist for a while. But you probably won't be tucking it in a shelf.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I will shop around for a good 3000 lumen that is fairly small and inconspicuous.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Krailor posted:

The real answer is to get one of these. :homebrew:
Holy loving poo poo $50K but its badass.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

So incredibly cool, and yet it cannot do 4K 60Hz with 4:4:4 like most recent 4K TVs (it requires 4:2:0 for above 30Hz 4K). A weird omission.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Holy loving poo poo $50K but its badass.

I was going to make fun of their idea of using it as an always-on digital art display, but then I realized that the kind of person who can drop $50k on a projector doesn't care in the slightest about a few hundred bucks for a bulb every few months or the extra 500 watts of power draw.

edit: Ok, apparently it's light source is a laser diode rated at 20k hours, or over two years of constant use. Can't find anything about replacement though.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 17, 2015

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Someone tell me why this monitor is terrible for gaming and will be awful with my 970 as a cheap G-Sync monitor:

Acer XB240H ABPR Black 24"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009729

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Well, it's not a 27" 1440p monitor, so you're already doing it wrong, and it's TN instead of IPS (which is actually a legit complaint if you want to use it for something other than gaming), and you're buying it from a store that still charges you $1.99 shipping.

Other than that it looks ok.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The quality difference between TN and IPS is a lot more obvious than you may think too. Put a TN monitor next to an IPS and you will know straight away which is which: the IPS one won't look like poo poo.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

SwissCM posted:

The quality difference between TN and IPS is a lot more obvious than you may think too. Put a TN monitor next to an IPS and you will know straight away which is which: the IPS one won't look like poo poo.

I see. Does anyone have a suggestion for a G-sync capable monitor under $500 that is IPS?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't think that even exists. GSync adds 100-200 dollars to the price tag. IPS adds to it as well.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Is there a workaround to this
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2625567

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I wouldn't mind knowing the answer to that one.

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.

I had a similar problem with HDMI where switching off one monitor in a multi-monitor setup would cause the remaining screen to flash, and the entire desktop plus open windows to be relocated to the secondary monitor (even though I didn't want them to; I just wanted one screen switched off).

Windows is really lovely at handling this stuff and the only workaround was to cover up the HDMI pin (I forgot the exact pin number) that transmitted the "power off" signal to the PC using a small piece of electrical tape. This meant the PC did not know when the monitor was switched off.

I have no idea whether a similar trick is possible with DisplayPort (it depends exactly on how the feature is implemented) but some googling couldn't hurt.

e: inevitably, I got curious and googled it myself. Pin 18 / Hot Plug Detect is the offender on DisplayPort. This appears, superficially at least, to be directly analogous to HDMI's Pin 19 / Hot Plug Detect - here's some people talking about the issue with a link to the tape fix. It can also be fixed by physically removing the pin, or even better, removing the pin from a male-to-female adaptor that you place between cable and GPU so your actual cable isn't affected.

Oh, and (slightly embarrassingly after all these words) there may be a simpler software solution in your GPU drivers. In my case I was using an Intel iGPU which had no such functionality, but on that last link I gave there's guys talking about an option in AMD's catalyst drivers. So maybe try that first :)

Daviclond fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 17, 2015

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

There could be a market for a usb-condom-like device that acts like a coupler but disconnects that pin.

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.

taqueso posted:

There could be a market for a usb-condom-like device that acts like a coupler but disconnects that pin.

You can quite possibly make your own with e.g. a miniDP to DP adaptor (like is provided with many GPUs) by ripping out the Hot Plug pin with pliers. See my edit above by the way!

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Alright, let me rephrase. What is the cheapest IPS G-sync monitor you all would recommend?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

CubeTheory posted:

Alright, let me rephrase. What is the cheapest IPS G-sync monitor you all would recommend?

The $800 Acer

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Don Lapre posted:

The $800 Acer

though being as the customer sat score for acer monitors in this thread seems to be lower than literal grey market korean factory castoffs might be better to take a rain check on that one

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The unsatisfactory experience is always going to be louder than the satisfactory experience. Plus, isn't Acer replacing the monitors with hairs and dead pixels? I remember back when you had to have a bunch of dead pixels in a small area in order to get a manufacturer to even consider an RMA.