Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the ps3 store is real bad. use the web store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Awesome! posted:

the ps3 store is real bad. use the web store

Wouldn't you still need to access the store via the console to download the game, or is it possible to download it from the web store and transfer it via a flash drive?

EDIT: Another thing I wanted to ask about was download limits. I was told by someone that you can only download a game on PSN a certain number of times before you have to purchase it again. Is that the case, or are you allowed to download something an unlimited number of times?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 15, 2015

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Max Wilco posted:

Wouldn't you still need to access the store via the console to download the game, or is it possible to download it from the web store and transfer it via a flash drive?

Web store has a feature called Remote Download - you queue a game on the webstore, the PS3 signs into PSN, sees the game and starts downloading it.

Max Wilco posted:

EDIT: Another thing I wanted to ask about was download limits. I was told by someone that you can only download a game on PSN a certain number of times before you have to purchase it again. Is that the case, or are you allowed to download something an unlimited number of times?

Who told you that? If you buy a game, it's yours to download as many times as they like unless they delete it off the server.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Max Wilco posted:

You should be able to queue up downloads for the PS3, you just have to turn it off and back on again. But that may only apply if you have Plus and autodownloads.

And no, there's never been a game with a limited amount of downloads. If it's on your account, it's on your account. You can only share that account with one other person, though.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the best way to get to your download list on ps3 is going to account management (under psn in the xmb) then transaction management then download list

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

RadicalR posted:

Who told you that? If you buy a game, it's yours to download as many times as they like unless they delete it off the server.
I heard it from a coworker. He said that you could only download something you bought so many times before you had to purchase it again, saying that it had something to do with the license agreement or something. Keep in mind this was around two or three years, so I don't remember exactly what he said.

Awesome! posted:

the best way to get to your download list on ps3 is going to account management (under psn in the xmb) then transaction management then download list
Cool, thanks for information.

Now if only the PS3 didn't download everything at a snail's pace. :sigh:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

try to get it wired if it's not. the wifi is really crappy

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Awesome! posted:

try to get it wired if it's not. the wifi is really crappy

Pointing your console's DNS to Google (8.8.8.8) helped with the speed of mine as well, so that could be worth a try.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

shmee posted:

Pointing your console's DNS to Google (8.8.8.8) helped with the speed of mine as well, so that could be worth a try.

:psyduck: :wtc:

I will never stop being amazed at this sort of bizarre techno-voodoo.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

:psyduck: :wtc:

I will never stop being amazed at this sort of bizarre techno-voodoo.

To be fair this solves a surprising number of Internet issues.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The internet is actually 99% magic free.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

shmee posted:

How do you set that up? Plus, is that even secure?

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

How do you set that up? Plus, is that even secure?

I think when you are configuring your network settings it asks you if you want to use the DNS server DHCP gives out (assuming you use that) or if you want to specify it manually. Just choose to add it manually and add 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for Google.

It's secure. I think the main speed benefit is that, due to being Google, they have no forwarders on their DNS servers. All ISPs have their own DNS servers but don't keep much information on them, instead they forward onto one of the main, big DNS servers in the world when you request something that they can't resolve. As Google have no need to do this, stuff resolves quicker.

How it improves my actual download times though, I can't say. All I can imagine is it's better at matching me to a local PS server, as my PSN account and my physical location are on opposite sides of the world.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just did the hidden fight in Shovel Knight and looking up footage of the one MS got, Sony really got the short end of the stick on that one :(

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

axleblaze posted:

I just did the hidden fight in Shovel Knight and looking up footage of the one MS got, Sony really got the short end of the stick on that one :(

There are hidden fights that differ by platform?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

shmee posted:

I think when you are configuring your network settings it asks you if you want to use the DNS server DHCP gives out (assuming you use that) or if you want to specify it manually. Just choose to add it manually and add 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for Google.
Yeah just go under Internet Connection Settings and do Custom instead of Easy setup.

As for the security aspect, the :tinfoil: you'll see floating around the internet mostly involves the privacy of using Google's public DNS server, but it'd just be PSN traffic in this case so who cares? Just keep in mind Google can now track all your anime game downloads even more easily!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Yeah just go under Internet Connection Settings and do Custom instead of Easy setup.

As for the security aspect, the :tinfoil: you'll see floating around the internet mostly involves the privacy of using Google's public DNS server, but it'd just be PSN traffic in this case so who cares? Just keep in mind Google can now track all your anime game downloads even more easily!

Don't worry Google knows pretty much all our viewing habits anyway.

Also, I can't believe there's nothing I want in the flash sale. Guess I'll have to actually work on that backlog now....

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

There are hidden fights that differ by platform?

Yeah, in the Sony versions there's a hidden fight against Kratos where is you win you get the chain blades while in the MS versions you fight the Battletoads complete with repelling down a pit section and turbo tunnel section. For winning that you get Battletoads style smash attacks. The ability you get in the Sony versions seems better but holy poo poo is the MS fight better.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Decided to play Metro Last Light again after a 6 or so month break and I was beginning to get really pissed off over how infuriatingly difficult some sections of the game were. Like, drat near impossible to handle. And then I found out that I was playing on Hardcore this entire time. Took me 18 chapters to figure that out.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Max Wilco posted:

I heard it from a coworker. He said that you could only download something you bought so many times before you had to purchase it again, saying that it had something to do with the license agreement or something. Keep in mind this was around two or three years, so I don't remember exactly what he said.

That person was confusing console activations with downloads. There was a change a long time ago from a PSN account being on 5 different PS3 systems down to 2. Even then, there are no limits on how many times you can download a game, but on how many PS3s you can access that game from.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I wanted to finish Dark Souls before I buy a PS4 and never touch my PS3 again and I remembered why I gave up on this game before my save data was wiped. Anor Londo is just so boring to play through. There's a ton of empty space and so, so much walking. Also the boss is basically impossible, even if I did get to the second phase on my first try.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

kill ornstein first, super smough is easy

i really like anor londo myself aside from the goddam spear demons. i just wish more of it was explorable

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Austrian mook posted:

I wanted to finish Dark Souls before I buy a PS4 and never touch my PS3 again and I remembered why I gave up on this game before my save data was wiped. Anor Londo is just so boring to play through. There's a ton of empty space and so, so much walking. Also the boss is basically impossible, even if I did get to the second phase on my first try.

Summon help and make sure you use the pillars to block them. And run around to separate them. And kill Ornstein first.

Anor Londo rules and is one of the coolest zones in the game so I don't know what you mean by that, but O&S is indeed a hard fight so maybe you're just getting frustrated of doing it over and over.

Awesome! posted:

i really like anor londo myself aside from the goddam spear demons. i just wish more of it was explorable

Frozen Eleum Loyce feels very similar but has a bit more to explore, I love it.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Zaphod42 posted:

Summon help and make sure you use the pillars to block them. And run around to separate them. And kill Ornstein first.

Anor Londo rules and is one of the coolest zones in the game so I don't know what you mean by that, but O&S is indeed a hard fight so maybe you're just getting frustrated of doing it over and over.

Eh, I'm getting really good at fighting the knights so it's less annoying running back over to the boss door every death. Still better then in Demon's Souls, which made you go through the entire level again a lot of the time just to get another shot at the boss. It's almost impossible for me to hit Ornstein when they're both shuffling about. Usually I can get him stuck in behind Smough which lets me get a few hits in.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

run back from the darkmoon crypt bonfire not the one after the archers

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Awesome! posted:

run back from the darkmoon crypt bonfire not the one after the archers

I don't wanna sit on the rotating staircase for 30 seconds every reset though, running through and fighting some guys is at least kind of fun.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you can fight the sentinels if you want :v:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Awesome! posted:

you can fight the sentinels if you want :v:

They actually just kill me. I'm no good at fighting them.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you will figure them out and then they become a good soul farming spot if you need a quick 15k or something. a maxed great fireball with bellowing ring will one shot the non-royal ones.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I usually like playing as a mage in these kinds of games, but playing Demon's Souls by spamming the soul arrow on everything was incredibly boring so I'm glad that they introduced melee magic (pyromancy) for me specifically. Thanks, From Software.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
Any known deals on getting a new/refurb ps3? Sony killed mine with the latest update and they're offering 150 for a refurb slim.

I didn't jump on that because their system for placing the order was down and I don't know if e3 will have anything ps3 related, though I doubt that they will.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Party Meiser posted:

Any known deals on getting a new/refurb ps3? Sony killed mine with the latest update and they're offering 150 for a refurb slim.

I didn't jump on that because their system for placing the order was down and I don't know if e3 will have anything ps3 related, though I doubt that they will.

I'd imagine there'll be a Persona 5 trailer

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The only thing you're gonna see PS3-wise is the last of the multi-year projects playing catchup, like Persona 5.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
I'm just pissed Sony won't repair BC ps3 systems. I learned this the hard way when I had the dough and was told, yeah-no, 2 months too late back in march.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Scyron posted:

I'm just pissed Sony won't repair BC ps3 systems. I learned this the hard way when I had the dough and was told, yeah-no, 2 months too late back in march.

It's a nine-year-old model that's long out of production. Most repair services like that only consist of the following steps;

• Diagnose
  • Replace defect board/part
  • Return to customer.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a nine-year-old model that's long out of production. Most repair services like that only consist of the following steps;

• Diagnose
  • Replace defect board/part
  • Return to customer.

Well they said they would replace it as of nov 2014, when I first called in and had 95% of the funds to repair it. The thing is life happened and I understand that, it was explicitly stated they would run out of parts or rather discontinue that repair service.

Still irks me because the repair now for a super slim is as much as buying a new 12gb flash model new. I'd rather not have a slim.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Scyron posted:

Me and my mgs4 bc unit on Thursday. I'd have been less irritated if it randomly died instead of being killed by an update.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

Party Meiser posted:

Me and my mgs4 bc unit on Thursday. I'd have been less irritated if it randomly died instead of being killed by an update.

My MGS4 unit overheated enough that it started artifacting, and I sold it to gamestop for a nice $120. I just wish I put that money immediately into my 60gig full BC unit I still had on hand, but wasn't aware it's GPU's thermal paste was dust and died shortly thereafter.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Scyron posted:

My MGS4 unit overheated enough that it started artifacting, and I sold it to gamestop for a nice $120. I just wish I put that money immediately into my 60gig full BC unit I still had on hand, but wasn't aware it's GPU's thermal paste was dust and died shortly thereafter.

Tried to repair my 60 gb ps3, hosed up with the wires connecting the Blu Ray to the motherboard. Cut my losses and just bought a slim. I sort of missed my ps2 games but not anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

Tried to repair my 60 gb ps3, hosed up with the wires connecting the Blu Ray to the motherboard. Cut my losses and just bought a slim. I sort of missed my ps2 games but not anymore.

When I get my PS4(?) Acecombat HD collection I won't care anymore... I am lying, I still want to play GTA 3-SA and Silent hill 2-4 in upscaled 1080. :negative:

I really liked the PS2, especially the gundam games, that I will never get to play again, for the time being. :negative:

But yeah, I tried to fix my PS3, and I did, kind of. No online, and so when I tried to fix that small thing, it hosed my entire system up at the powersource level, I am not sure if it was too much fuckery or my own stupidity with static electricity. But I did at one point have my thermal paste application working on my 60gig. AUHG, I just wanted a console that would play a majority of my games, without needing another dedicated system.

At least when I repaired my ps2 3 times, it managed to keep working after each repair until I got tired of repairing it and just purchased a new v.11 unit, I think. (maybe .10) (entirely different construction, as that one also failed and I was totally lost when I opened it up.) My second Ps2 failed after I had gotten my first BC ps3 in '07, so I was really in a not caring attitude and sold it as is, to some local game shop for $20.

Thank god Xbox just allowed me to ship it to them and they claimed the fault, and I never lost a save... But therein lies other issues with their customer service being terrible.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jun 7, 2015

• Locked thread