Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is there no way to get melee attacks on the blue dragon? my lava bow shots were doing like 19 damage and gently caress that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Awesome! posted:

is there no way to get melee attacks on the blue dragon? my lava bow shots were doing like 19 damage and gently caress that

I'm dealing with the exact same thing. I'm considering upgrading another bow to do physical damage because the lava now isn't doing a loving thing, and it seems arrows are the only option and I'm sick of randomly getting toasted on my way to the boss.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

No, you can't melee either dragon. You have to kill him with magic or a bow and arrows. Yes, it's dumb. Kalameet was the first dragon in the series that was actually fun and not tedious and lame.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Even with a +5 Viscous bow you're still looking at 100+ arrows to kill the dragons.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i killed the red one with melee. on the first bridge in 1-2 right when it swoops down you can hit its feet with the right timing. you get hit too but i had enough regen going on to be at full health by the time it came back around

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm dealing with the exact same thing. I'm considering upgrading another bow to do physical damage because the lava now isn't doing a loving thing, and it seems arrows are the only option and I'm sick of randomly getting toasted on my way to the boss.

i did actually arrow it because i have brain problems. took like 10 minutes or something. if you dont have special arrows bring like 200+ regular ones. if you just want to skip it though you can run under one of its breaths on the right side.

beat the game btw. old king allant was finally a good boss fight. still only took a few tries but it was exciting at least. straight up 2hand and rolling, no shield.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That seems like you were making it way harder on yourself than you needed to because hey, guess what, the red dragon can be poisoned as it sweeps by. You can also poison the False King in such a way that he never notices you and won't attack. :v:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

why would i want to cheese one of the few good boss fights in the game?

now if i could have cheesed the blue dragon with some super poison i would have definitely done that

e: im curious though how you would poison him without him noticing you since he seemed like he saw me pretty much instantly

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 16, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm not telling you you should, I'm making fun of the boss design. If you can't snipe it, you can definitely poison it.

He walks to your end of the room and stops at the stairs. Walk slowly, in soul form, with the fog ring or whatever it's called on, and he'll just stand at the top of the stairs with his back to you. You can then poison him over and over again until he dies and he'll never do a thing to stop you.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

No, you can't melee either dragon. You have to kill him with magic or a bow and arrows. Yes, it's dumb. Kalameet was the first dragon in the series that was actually fun and not tedious and lame.

You can melee the red dragon.

e: Oh someone already pointed that out. It's actually pretty easy with the DBS/Keel Smasher though!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Reposting my question about the winged spear from the previous page:

if I have 20/16 Str/Dex and don't intend to increase them further, would it be better to upgrade my winged spear along the basic or quality path? I have a blessed mirdin hammer +3 and a dragon claymore +3, and I want the winged spear for straight physical damage.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i dont think i ran into anything where i said drat i really wish i had a physical only weapon. get your hammer to +5 though it shouldnt be too bad if you get a little lucky with 5-2/3 lizard chunks

that said, you should stick to the normal path if you're not gonna make use of quality's better scaling i think

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Winged Spear is a dex weapon so it's not getting much from your 20 strength unless you do quality, but I dunno if that's enough to make it better than the regular upgrade path or not.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

does ng+ always let you move on directly to 1-3 or is it because i still have big demon souls in my inventory

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

Reposting my question about the winged spear from the previous page:

if I have 20/16 Str/Dex and don't intend to increase them further, would it be better to upgrade my winged spear along the basic or quality path? I have a blessed mirdin hammer +3 and a dragon claymore +3, and I want the winged spear for straight physical damage.

Standard. Quality requires higher stats for full potential. This tool is everything you could ever want, and more.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DeSo soft caps are lower than in the later games so you could just go to 30/30 be set for anything.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

The softcaps aren't lower. From DeS -> Bloodborne we have 50, 40, 40/50, 30/50.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

For example: crushing guillotine axe +5, 20 str has +70 attack, 30 str has +128 attack (58 difference), 40 has +146 (only 18 difference). 50 adds another 18 (164 total), After 50 it drops off a cliff. 30 is still the vast majority of the benefit and you get more going from 20 to 30 than 30 to 50.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

There are definitely diminishing returns the whole time, it's just really harsh at 50.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
After what must be like five or six years, I only just noticed that Adjudicator's left weapon is another butcher's cleaver, but snapped in half with the rest of it stuck in its body :psyduck:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I think I may be done with this game and 1-4 is entirely to blame. The run to the boss has beaten me down. I've died so many times to poo poo that never was a problem in previous runs. The second red eye knight just dropped out of the sky while I was killing the crossbowmen early on in the level. The next run the dragon toasted me on the first sprint past it at a point that I have never had a problem. Add the second dragon run to this list too because that's unpredictable too. I'm tired of getting stuck on weird geometry and getting burned by the dragon or shot in the face or back with a flame jet from those fat fucks. Just to name a few 'what the gently caress how did that happen' moments. It's just not fun anymore. :(

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

I think I may be done with this game and 1-4 is entirely to blame. The run to the boss has beaten me down. I've died so many times to poo poo that never was a problem in previous runs. The second red eye knight just dropped out of the sky while I was killing the crossbowmen early on in the level. The next run the dragon toasted me on the first sprint past it at a point that I have never had a problem. Add the second dragon run to this list too because that's unpredictable too. I'm tired of getting stuck on weird geometry and getting burned by the dragon or shot in the face or back with a flame jet from those fat fucks. Just to name a few 'what the gently caress how did that happen' moments. It's just not fun anymore. :(

Is there anything else you can do? 1-4 is the final dungeon, so to speak. Alternatively slap that Thief's Ring on to evade everything and use the foolproof dragon tricks of 'run to the absolute closest not-death zone, book it after he burns everything' and then on the stairs 'bait on the left and then run on the right'.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Alabaster White posted:

Is there anything else you can do? 1-4 is the final dungeon, so to speak. Alternatively slap that Thief's Ring on to evade everything and use the foolproof dragon tricks of 'run to the absolute closest not-death zone, book it after he burns everything' and then on the stairs 'bait on the left and then run on the right'.

That's a good idea. I do have one or two other levels to complete. I'm annoyed that I've never gotten to this point of annoyance and apathy toward seeing through the game in either of Dark games

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

That's a good idea. I do have one or two other levels to complete. I'm annoyed that I've never gotten to this point of annoyance and apathy toward seeing through the game in either of Dark games

Also I'm pretty sure you can tank just about anything with Warding and Water Veil. At least, I think you can. Defensive spells are top-notch.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kill the dragon by shooting it with 1000 arrows. Running past him sucks.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Kill the dragon by shooting it with 1000 arrows. Running past him sucks.

This is what I decided to do. This bastard has a lot of HP.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

sounds like someone should look into poisoning allant :v:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Awesome! posted:

sounds like someone should look into poisoning allant :v:

I've only made it to Allant three times because of the bullshit run. The dragon is dead now. I'm upgrading my Adjudicator's shield right now and then returning to finish off this jerk king.

edit: Allant went down like a chump.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 17, 2015

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Wildtortilla posted:

I gave up at this exact bit last night.

Finished Bloodbourne recently and have played a good chunk of Dark Souls but 1-4 in Demon's is utter bullshit.

I'm reluctant to say that about a Souls game but it just is. So many cheesy enemies placed awkwardly in a really long section with horrible geometry that the camera/you get stuck in constantly.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just finished this with the good ending. It was a fun game, but I think I'm done with it - there's too much gaming of the system to be done with all the tendency bullshit for me to be bothered to see everything it has to offer. The final boss fight was a joke, but I suppose it's fitting to cap off a game of underwhelming boss fights. It's evident From Software learned several lessons from this game that they applied in Dark Souls.

Overall, I enjoyed it very much and as always, playing a Souls game for the first time is a real treat. :)

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

So I'm just now playing this for the first time after putting 100+ hours into each of the other Souls games, and I must fuckin suck

For some goddamn reason this game seems much harder than the others. Small things like the second part of Valley and the runback to King Allant make me want to toss my controller. I might also be a moron because I never noticed the Tower of Latria Archstone up the stairs :doh:

All that said, it's still amazing and having a "fresh" Souls experience is great. Im trying not to look anything up, but I do have a question: I've been hoarding Boss souls but haven't found anywhere to use them. Am I blind?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

TheHoosier posted:

So I'm just now playing this for the first time after putting 100+ hours into each of the other Souls games, and I must fuckin suck

For some goddamn reason this game seems much harder than the others. Small things like the second part of Valley and the runback to King Allant make me want to toss my controller. I might also be a moron because I never noticed the Tower of Latria Archstone up the stairs :doh:

All that said, it's still amazing and having a "fresh" Souls experience is great. Im trying not to look anything up, but I do have a question: I've been hoarding Boss souls but haven't found anywhere to use them. Am I blind?

Blacksmith Ed can use them if you've given him the red hot demons soul.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

oldpainless posted:

Blacksmith Ed can use them if you've given him the red hot demons soul.

Yeah I did that, but nothing really appears. I know this seems stupid but im really trying not to Wiki poo poo. I wanted this run to be true blind

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TheHoosier posted:

Yeah I did that, but nothing really appears. I know this seems stupid but im really trying not to Wiki poo poo. I wanted this run to be true blind

Then you're probably not going to get to use the boss souls on weapons. They're handled differently than the other games.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

TheHoosier posted:

Some Souls are only used for certain weapons.

Some Souls are only used for certain Spells, and thus won't do anything with Ed.

Some Souls can be used to make weapons or get certain Spells.

Also there are two Blacksmiths. The one in the Nexus can only make certain things, you need to find a different Blacksmith in the world and give him a certain bosses soul before he can craft Soul weapons for you. You should see the Scraping Spear from the Phalanx Soul as something he can craft if he has everything he needs.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Fair enough. The branching upgrade system is a little different; maybe ill just stumble across it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Just don't pick a bladestone (sharp) path if you want a +10 weapon eventually. The equivalent of the slab for bladestone in this game is ridiculously rare/obnoxious to get to drop unless you can convince someone to invade and drop you one.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Electromax posted:

Just don't pick a bladestone (sharp) path if you want a +10 weapon eventually. The equivalent of the slab for bladestone in this game is ridiculously rare/obnoxious to get to drop unless you can convince someone to invade and drop you one.

+5, you mean. Thankfully, due to the way the game is balanced, you don't need a maxed out weapon.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Aannnddd finished. What a cool game. The fight with Allant was awesome. The healing is really the only thing I don't care for, but it still works.

I'm going to go through as a Mage before I decide, but this game may be my second-favorite under Bloodborne. It holds up incredibly well. The fact you can cheese some of the boss fights is kinda hilarious.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
I love this game, and all if the different worlds have distinct themes and motifs, but what the gently caress does shrine of storms mean?? What is the themes of that level?? I don't get it at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Spooky Skeletons.

I'm doing a fatroll run of this game and as always, the only bosses I die to are Leechmonger (lol) and the Maneaters.

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 16, 2015

• Locked thread