Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Well Eddie Gordo being introduced in Taken 3 was a huge plus for the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Torquemada posted:

This is helpful, thanks.

they had a different ending because they ran out of money and couldn't afford to do what they wanted to do, the executives saw what they had and shat bricks and gave them a ton more money because they were freaking out like the rest of us are now. read that on badass digest (birth. movies. death. now)

also he's had this in the works since the late 90's, the whole story and script and everywhere were done (this was in a hitflix video interview with miller) and they had to keep pushing things back, gibson was on at first, then 9/11 happened, then poo poo was getting real in various locations, the outback was getting too green and namibia started to have political problems and then gibson got a bit too racist and then too old and then the stuff about the rain and such.

i also remember reading somewhere WB wanted him off of another movie and he only would go if they gave him mad max rights back, not sure which movie that was or where i read it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Don't forget Heath Ledger, the original recast, dying.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

chitoryu12 posted:

The dude ages in dog years, I swear. Beyond Thunderdome is only six years after the first one and he went from a babyface kid to looking and sounding like he's going on 50.

steroids, dude

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

parara posted:

It was actually everything after the title screen up to the first chase, most notably Immortan Joe's speech.

Joe's speech did indeed have surround, but in that case it made sense to have it reverberating since it was him talking in a PA and the sound would be really echo-y and bouncing all the gently caress around off all those cliffs. As far as Max's monologue, it was done with surround fill because it was supposed to be a sourceless voice over. When the dialogue is coming from a center channel it gives you the impression that the person there on the screen is talking, whereas shifting it to surrounds gives more of a 'voice in your brain' feeling.

Anyway, as you experienced as long as a cinema's sound is set up correctly you should be able to understand the dialogue one way or another.

chitoryu12 posted:

I think for big theaters, the sound mixing involves more than just playing a sound file through some speakers. loving up the settings is a bad thing.

It's arguably more important in small theaters, since everything is packed tighter together and the sweet spot right in the middle where all the sound converges covers a smaller percentage of the actual viewing audience. But the usual method of calibrating actually is just playing a sound file through some speakers.

In a general sense at least. Properly done you use pink noise and a sound meter, not just any random clip and your ears.

This is probably more cinema sound chat than anybody cares about though. Back to HOLY poo poo THIS MOVIE OWNS chat.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

TheJoker138 posted:

This. The first time I saw it the theater was calibrated wonkily, then I saw it again today at a different, better theater and it was all crystal clear. Except for the one part right before the sandstorm where one of the warboys seemed to be yelling "human being" over and over again, but that can't be right.

'fang it'

Aussie for 'go faster'

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

If you can't stand up, you can't do war.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
I know I've seen people mention the music box a few times, but I also really appreciated the fizzling-out shotgun callback to The Road Warrior.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The warboys in this were such a more fully realized concept than the tribe of feral children from thunderdome, I could watch a whole movie about nox and his bros terrorizing the wastelands.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ruddiger posted:

The warboys in this were such a more fully realized concept than the tribe of feral children from thunderdome, I could watch a whole movie about nox and his bros terrorizing the wastelands.

That was something I really didn't expect and I was so happy to see it. The trailers and Max's first encounter with them make it look like the War Boys are a bunch of interchangeable feral thugs like the Reavers from Firefly, basically just disposable barely human monsters to be slaughtered in droves like zombies with the ability to drive cars.

I wasn't prepared to see them actually talking to each other like normal people with individual personalities, cracking jokes, and displaying relationships. Miller really did great work fleshing out the world; even just how they behave during the chases (like their martyrdom) helps provide substance.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
That was loving amazing. I can't wait to see it again; I know there were a thousand little details I missed the first time out.

I liked the lack of backstory. Basically the audience IS Max, suddenly put into this bizarre-rear end situation and having to figure out what the hell's going on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If you put a sawed off to my head (not like it's going to fire anyways) and I had to make one complaint about this movie, it's that the interceptor was creamed before it even got a chance to shine and I think they went a little too far making it look junky. I wish it looked just like it did in the Road Warrior. I'm going to have to lower my review from 11/10 to 10.8/10 sorry.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

The zooming out shot of the war rig and pursuers heading into the storm was so drat good. Some critic said that the first big chase in this movie was one of the greatest car chases he'd ever seen and it was easily the worst car chase in the movie. I agree completely.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Just saw it. I never come into this subforum but I absolutely needed to express how this film melted my face off. It was exactly the type of action and camp I love combined with a strong message. The Doof Wagon. The Doof Wagon.

I need Fury Road to specifically become its own franchise. I need a hundred Furiosa movies sometimes featuring Max. I need more explosions, car chases, and bizarre apocalyptic landscapes. What a fantastic world. What a fantastic way to experience it. Too many highlights to list but I'm trying to find people to come see it with me again. I need to soak it all in.

Low-key favorite thing in the film was the tanker's gas pedal being a shoe-sizer. What a hell of a thing. :allears:

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Just got out of the theatre. George Miller should be head candidate for a Warhammer 40k director.

Also all the hype in the thread was real. It was like if Frank Frazetta painted the post-apocalypse.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

NESguerilla posted:

If you put a sawed off to my head (not like it's going to fire anyways) and I had to make one complaint about this movie, it's that the interceptor was creamed before it even got a chance to shine and I think they went a little too far making it look junky. I wish it looked just like it did in the Road Warrior. I'm going to have to lower my review from 11/10 to 10.8/10 sorry.

I thought this at first but if you discard the fanboy love of the Interceptor and just step back, it gets poo poo on by things like the Gigahorse. There's some serious machinery in this movie, and most of it is far cooler than the Interceptor could hope to be.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Some critic said that the first big chase in this movie was one of the greatest car chases he'd ever seen and it was easily the worst car chase in the movie. I agree completely.

I like this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

VikingSkull posted:

I thought this at first but if you discard the fanboy love of the Interceptor and just step back, it gets poo poo on by things like the Gigahorse. There's some serious machinery in this movie, and most of it is far cooler than the Interceptor could hope to be.

It's kinda funny when the fan favorite car, the most iconic vehicle of the franchise, is literally the most low-key vehicle in the movie that's not an almost unmodified dirtbike. Basically everything surrounding it is so much cooler and more heavily modified that it would barely be a blip if it didn't have the fandom recognition.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
If I had to guess Miller's reasoning, it was a symbolic cutting of ties with the first trilogy. It worked great, IMO.

I'm a HUGE fanboy of those films but this just kicks them in the dick. I had to sever, this movie is so good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

The interceptor really wasn't even near the top of the list as far as cool machines go, but it's iconic. It's like having an x wing fly across the screen and blow up for 3 seconds in new star wars.

At the very least I wanted max to reclaim it and give it a proper Viking funeral into a a semi or something.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Just saw it again, still awesome. WITNESS ME!

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009
gently caress you both the last of the V8s rules all. Wanted to see Max punch the nitro again for a half minute (so as to conserve guzzleline) and ram some scum into a boulder or something before he gets caught.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Commissar Of Doom posted:

gently caress you both the last of the V8s rules all.

Well it does but there's stuff in this movie with two V8's and a whole war band that worships the massive collection they own.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

God, superchargers are so loving cool

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

gently caress you both the last of the V8s rules all. Wanted to see Max punch the nitro again for a half minute (so as to conserve guzzleline) and ram some scum into a boulder or something before he gets caught.

Gigahorse has twin V8s. :colbert:

Mac Con
Apr 23, 2014

Word. A proper sendoff is all I wanted for it, as it could be last time we see it in a MM movie.

Mac Con fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 17, 2015

Mac Con
Apr 23, 2014
edit: oops

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
As someone who's never seen the original Mad Max movies, just know them through cultural osmosis(Warhammer 40k Orks, Fist of the North Star, general public knowledge, etc), this movie might be the best action movie I've ever seen.

I took my dad to see it since he saw the originals in the theater back in the day, and when it was over, he said "I'm glad that's over, because I can finally catch my breath!". Perfectly put, imo

It's been over an hour since we left and I'm still hype as gently caress. Gonna go see it again, definitely

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Mac Con posted:

Word. A proper sendoff is all I wanted for it, as it could be last time we see it in a MM movie.

Is getting crushed between two big rigs somehow not a proper sendoff?

Mac Con
Apr 23, 2014

Madurai posted:

Is getting crushed between two big rigs somehow not a proper sendoff?

Max wasn't driving, didn't count.

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009

second-hand smegma posted:

Gigahorse has twin V8s. :colbert:

That's driven by the bad guy, and I wanna drive the good guy car. Besides the gigahorse is too ostentatious for my tastes, gimme the austere Ford Falcon with it's chipped black paint, heavy coating of brown outback dirt, and practical giant rear end fuel drums taking up the entire trunk.

God drat I want a 1973 Ford Falcon.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

99% of movies are garabage. A ton of movies Cinema Discusso gush over are trash for idiots. I've posted here many times calling out posters for swindling people to see terrible films like the recent Spider Man movies.

That being said, Mad Max Fury Road is a masterpiece. If you didn't like it you're an idiot.

Why do you care at all what other people like? Just don't go see things you don't want to see and leave other people the gently caress alone.

I saw Pitch Perfect 2 and Mad Max back to back and I enjoyed them both, but after Mad Max I felt like I had been assaulted by art (in a good way). The costumes and make up were great, and I'm sort of in love with the way Immortan Joe looked. He just looked so badass. A+ production design.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I read an interview with Nicholas Hoult and apparently they actually had Hugh Keays-Byrne give speeches (and even recite nursery rhymes) as Immortan Joe and have a good 150 of the actors and stuntmen pray to him in-character. It served to further their characterization of the cult-like devotion the War Boys have for him. There was some B-roll footage where he walked past one of the vehicle transport trucks in full regalia (minus the mask) and the truck was just lined with War Boy actors cheering and making their crossed-hands salute.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hahaha, Christ, that sure was a loving awesome two hour car chase which also secretly was about how the patriarchy sucks for both men and women.

I loved how shameless it was about being weird and strange and bizarre instead of trying to make it 'modern.'

Mac Con
Apr 23, 2014

That's driven by the bad guy, and I wanna drive the good guy car. Besides the gigahorse is too ostentatious for my tastes, gimme the austere Ford Falcon with it's chipped black paint, heavy coating of brown outback dirt, and practical giant rear end fuel drums taking up the entire trunk.

God drat I want a 1973 Ford Falcon.

Yea, I love the whole over the top aesthetic for Immortan Joe's gang as it makes sense because they're going for a display of power and wealth, but it's also cool to see the practical, utilitarian stuff like the old ladie's bikes and un modded Interceptor. Didn't get much of that in this movie and I wouldn't mind if future ones included some more grounded stuff to contrast the (awesome) insanity.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I just want to set every car chase and fight scene to "Brothers in Arms" now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgYnKu8RYAU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

bullet3 posted:

And with all that, it still looks like it'll lose to Pitch Perfect 2 at the boxoffice. I just don't get it, every garbage transformers movie is able to open to a 100 million no problem, here we have the most acclaimed movie of the year, wall to wall advertising, and STILL people don't go to theaters to see it.

It's becoming clear the audience deserves lovely movies, because they sure as poo poo don't reward the great ones.

the mra boycott worked fellas, next mad max will have max falsely accused of rape, lose custody of his son, and men tithing all their supplies to women because of the "wage gap"

dreffen posted:

Mainstream movie audiences are lactation fetishists?
the twitter "feminist" thought so, not me.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 17, 2015

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
It must suck to be an action movie director right now, because pretty much whoever you are, Grampa Miller just made you look like an enormous loving hack.

I mean Jesus loving Christ, he had a motorized regiment built from scratch and staged a cross between a war and a Cirque du Soleil show in Namibia, filmed it, and produced something not only more spectacular, but also more coherent than just about any of them could imagine, never mind actually execute. And he's stripped away the gross subtext of most action movies and replaced it with some real heart, to the point where the feminist pretensions of the likes of Joss Whedon just look absurd now. The screenplay for Age of Ultron reads like a rejected letter to Penthouse Forum by comparison.

He's lapped the field not only technically, but morally. If you don't count endangering stuntmen, anyway. :v:

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 17, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone else go to a theater that had free posters? I'm not much of a poster guy but I love how the poster looked as old school as the movie. I might have throw one on the wall ( I grabbed a stack lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

Anyone else go to a theater that had free posters? I'm not much of a poster guy but I love how the poster looked as old school as the movie. I might have throw one on the wall ( I grabbed a stack lol)
They had some but i forgot to grab one on the way out. :(

• Locked thread