Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I love arrested development but the Netflix series was so so so bad and it upset me. The first two original series were great though and I enjoy rewatching them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

you irl posted:

my wife watches each season with increasing hatred as they continually claim they will reveal the identity of the nemesis but then never do. it's clear the writers are lost but she's invested so much time into it by now that she holds out hope that this season they will reveal "A", for real this time.

I ended up just looking it up because I was getting annoyed by it. It turns out that A is Allison, the girl who "died", and the one that is back now is her twin sister or something, that's why she's so much different than the Allison the girls remember.

It's all very, very dumb.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

vampire diaries or whatever that twilight looking bullshit is called.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

im a 40 year old woman but i cant have a conversation like an adult beccause i hATE MY RICH PARENTS SO MUCH

gently caress YOU MOM

Also I am convinced the way everyone acts in that loving town shows its a cult.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Whoever said "Married at First Sight" was correct. Also, those "experts" should have their licenses pulled for unethical behavior and bad taste.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

britishbornandbread posted:

I love arrested development but the Netflix series was so so so bad and it upset me. The first two original series were great though and I enjoy rewatching them.

Ill actually step up and defend the Netflix series. I admit that it suffered because it separated a cast whose main strength is playing off one another, but I think it did other things very well, not the least of which was being one of the first shows to try and take advantage of the new viewing paradigm offered by Netflix and other streaming sites.

It used to be that TV shows had to be structured with the expectation that viewers would see a new episode once every week. Now, people can binge watch an entire series over the course of a few days. The Netflix season of Arrested Development was meant to be watched several episodes at a time. When viewed in rapid succession, the disconnected vignettes link up better and I think they get very funny (original seasons were still funnier, though).

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
orange is the new black

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The last two minutes of both seasons of Orange is the New Black are cathartic enough to almost rescue the rest of the series IMO

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
:agreed: on Gilmore Girls

The older the woman is who talks about watching it the greater the alarm bells. And by older I mean older than 22.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Solkanar512 posted:

Whoever said "Married at First Sight" was correct. Also, those "experts" should have their licenses pulled for unethical behavior and bad taste.

Watch a bunch of New Yorkers complain about not being able to live in their favorite borough, the show.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ryoshi posted:

The last two minutes of both seasons of Orange is the New Black are cathartic enough to almost rescue the rest of the series IMO

And the Chicken.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I am straight as hell and loved OITNB.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
bunch of humble braggarts ITT, i was born watching netflix alone and i'll die watching netflix alone.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Gilmore Girls was fun when it was on TV and felt fresh but in retrospect it's a bunch of rich people (including the single mom who bootstrapped up from nothing because she hates her parents) bitching about everything.

Alexis Bledel is that special brand of weird hot tho

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

thathonkey posted:

btw I posted Arrested Development earlier itt for two reasons -

1. it is not that great, especially the second or X time and especially if it is the Netflix season which was never good
2. even if you do love the show, i bet you wouldn't like hearing it from a room over because the narrator is constantly talking in the exact same tone and it is annoying as gently caress and that's mostly what carries

1. The best aspect of the show is the rewatchability. I was still catching new background jokes and making callback connections my fifth time through.
2. If you're only half paying attention any show would be terrible.

In other news: Metástasis, the telenovela-style shot-for-shot Colombian spanish-language
version of Breaking Bad just went up, so that should be fun and/or great and/or terrible.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

OITNB is alright, pretty much every character aside from the main character is good and they seemed to understand this by literally removing her from the entire plot of the second season. Like I'm pretty sure you could make an edit that just cuts out all her scenes and show it to someone who hadn't seen it and they wouldn't realize something was up.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

loving West Wing. Turn that poo poo off, woman.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Criminal Minds.

That show is what happens when awful actors team up with worse writing. Even Indigo Montoya couldn't make that poo poo pile serviceable

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

how i met your mother, and any disney cartoons. i mean for ffs she's a med student who scored super high on boards, but she still loves this basic poo poo.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Everyone seems to be responding with titles marketed towards women but imo those aren't the worse shows to watch with your girlfriend. The worst shows to watch with your girlfriend are plot heavy series you like but they're not that interested in, so they'll spend half the air time talking over the show or not paying attention and then the other half asking you about the parts they didn't catch.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Once my gf got me to watch Thumbs Up! on Netflix, which was a Vice documentary about David Choe getting drunk and trainhopping across america. It was pretty rad. I don't think its up anymore.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

Everyone seems to be responding with titles marketed towards women but imo those aren't the worse shows to watch with your girlfriend. The worst shows to watch with your girlfriend are plot heavy series you like but they're not that interested in, so they'll spend half the air time talking over the show or not paying attention and then the other half asking you about the parts they didn't catch.

Nah the worst is what that guy said last page, plot heavy series that you like but she wants to "watch it together" but then never feels like watching it, so you don't get to watch your favorite shows anymore.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Seriously though it's Once Upon a Time.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Tender Bender posted:

Nah the worst is what that guy said last page, plot heavy series that you like but she wants to "watch it together" but then never feels like watching it, so you don't get to watch your favorite shows anymore.

Just watch it yourself and rewatch it with her if she ever feels like it then!

protomexican
May 1, 2009
How has Orphan Black not been mentioned yet?

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

Professor Shark posted:

I ended up just looking it up because I was getting annoyed by it. It turns out that A is Allison, the girl who "died", and the one that is back now is her twin sister or something, that's why she's so much different than the Allison the girls remember.

It's all very, very dumb.

no that was only the first season, they're beyond the books now and there's a new "A" every season basically. last season they promised to reveal the real mastermind A behind it all and talked it all up and people were freaking out getting excited but then in the last 2 minutes of the season finale they just revealed its a dude named charles, zero details or explanation lol

pretty good trolling imo people were pissed as hell

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

ArbitraryC posted:

Wait who is he? Why are they going there? I thought he was dead? She doesn't really die, does she? They're brothers? No don't pause it I'll be right back. What did I miss? :suicide:

himajinga fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 18, 2015

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
corey in the house/

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Chopped.

Every contestant either has dead parents, are single parents trying to prove to their kids they aren't losers, or cancer survivors.

Then you have judges who've probably have not worked in a commercial kitchen for year, nit pick every single thing about the meal you just served them. One judge even gets offended if you use raw onion because he is a child and doesn't like "the texture".

Oh and someone always cries.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

himajinga posted:

Wait who is he? Why are they going there? I thought he was dead? She doesn't really die, does she? They're brothers? No don't pause it I'll be right back. What did I miss? :suicide:

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
tbh all the food network big names are awful, self-important tools but yeah chopped is p much a showcase for the worst of them. "how dare you work 2 seconds past the buzzer...that shows so much disrespect to me, as a judge"

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

tbh all the food network big names are awful, self-important tools but yeah chopped is p much a showcase for the worst of them. "how dare you work 2 seconds past the buzzer...that shows so much disrespect to me, as a judge"

Oh and there is also this. An Asian guy will make some kind of dish using a recipe his grand mother brought over from China. The judges then scold him for not trying to break away from what they know and try something new and push the envelope. The next round they will get a basket with all Chinese items and they guy makes the most unique dishes out of all the other chefs. The judges then say they were hoping that the contestant was really going to use their ethnic roots as an inspiration for this basket and then eliminate them citing that they really wanted to them use more of the techniques he'd been taught as a child.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

joe on masterchef is the worst holy christ - "well this isn't how my mother made this particular recipe so ill just spit it back out onto the plate and dump it in the trash while staring at you"

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
i think pne of my favorite parts of those shows is that the equipment always always sucks, like people freak out because the ovens are super weak and slow, the pans are bad and don't heat as expected, and the icecream machine inevitably creates lukewarm mush

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

himajinga posted:

This.

:commissar:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

ghlbtsk posted:

1. The best aspect of the show is the rewatchability. I was still catching new background jokes and making callback connections my fifth time through.
2. If you're only half paying attention any show would be terrible.

Actually youre wrong and i have the following evidence to back me up:

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Mindy Project and Unbreakable Kimmy are funny shows. Mindy Project can be sort of lame at times but I don't think it qualifies as something worse than Greys Anatomy or Season 3 of American Horror Story.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
breaking bad

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
yeha mindy herself can get old at times but the other characters are p much gold and im glad its getting another season on hulu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
mindy wins points for being a doctor show that doesnt try to involve doctor stuff at all, it could literally be a show about any office and 90 percent of it would still work

• Locked thread