Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

McSpanky posted:

Did I hear correctly that Prof. Stein said Barry would have to generate 6.2 tera-electronvolts to close the black hole about to destroy Earth? Because a TeV can be generated by a hilariously small amount of mechanical power.

You'd have to go at crazy unheard of relativistic speeds of up to MACH 2!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Good drat I loving hope they do a live action adaptation of the Brave and the Bold's "Requiem for a Scarlet Speedster" episode now!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Great episode, loved all of it. Even the cliffhanger ending which I had a feeling was coming but still made me say "Noooooo".

Eddie went out like a hero, and the scene with Barry and his mom was legitimately heartbreaking. Nice first season, Flash! It has been awesome to have a FUN superhero show that is also good.

Fingers crossed for Supergirl!

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib
Fantastic ep! But I really don't understand how Barry can still have his powers when he comes back to the present if Wells/Thawne never exists/existed. 4 months til we get an answer on that...

Also, really struck me as dishonorable Barry and friends just leaving Eddie's body there to be sucked into the black hole

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Caper posted:

Also, really struck me as dishonorable Barry and friends just leaving Eddie's body there to be sucked into the black hole

Yeah that was weird. Not like Barry couldn't just carry him out. I guess he had to be sucked into the portal for Season 3/4

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure Season 2 is going to begin with Barry waking up somewhere which we then find out 60 seconds later is actually Earth-Two

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking that opens up the option for a TACHYON POWERED EDDIE THAWNE WITH BLACK HOLE BRAIN DAMAGE to come up and RF all up in dis bitch.

He got moved OUTSIDE OF TIME, so Eobard doesn't exist but that's also how he runs fast. No speed force for him.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I like that they're hinting that Jay Garrick's fought RF before, but how does that scene work? Garrick sees a wormhole open and just tosses his hat in, just in case there are any villains on the other side to be spooked out?

I also wonder whether the emotional climax of this episode would have been ruined if it had instead been Eddie shrieking at the top of his lungs and holding his groin while RF phased out of existence.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Caper posted:

Fantastic ep! But I really don't understand how Barry can still have his powers when he comes back to the present if Wells/Thawne never exists/existed. 4 months til we get an answer on that...

The Flash always existed, even without Wells' particle accelerator fuckery. So just erasing Thawne wouldn't mean Barry Wasn't the Flash.

Now, why nothing seemed to change? Idunno. Maybe they're going for a BttF riple-change style effect, and the singularity is a consequence of Eddie's actions (or the effect of some version of Barry trying to fix this?)

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
That was really cool. Kind of an abrupt end, but the VFX work on the singularity was surprisingly great for a CW TV show, and the sheer awesome imagery of Barry running into a black hole was loving RAD. Also, RIP Eddie. They never made him the bad guy, ever, and that's definitely to their credit. Eddie grandfather paradox'd Eobard, and it was so superheroic the only way Barry could possibly top it was by stopping a loving BLACK HOLE. This show rules.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
One of the shots in the time stream is from the Legends Trailer.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Caper posted:

Maybe he will have a problem with that too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spatula City posted:

That was really cool. Kind of an abrupt end, but the VFX work on the singularity was surprisingly great for a CW TV show, and the sheer awesome imagery of Barry running into a black hole was loving RAD. Also, RIP Eddie. They never made him the bad guy, ever, and that's definitely to their credit. Eddie grandfather paradox'd Eobard, and it was so superheroic the only way Barry could possibly top it was by stopping a loving BLACK HOLE. This show rules.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if the reason it was light on action in the first three/fourths is because they blew half of the season's FX budget in the final part.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Alright so I'm not so mad now. But it still would have been nice if Barry had some other reason why he had to run inside the black hole, like it sucked up Joe or something.

I like how the lightning near the beginning was red too,

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Camera pans out, shows Gideon displaying a holo-paper from this year: "Flash disappears in Blue Sky Crisis"

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Killer Frost!

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Byers2142 posted:

Actually, maybe that's what we're seeing. If the timeline of the show is one designed by Eobard, mandated by his very existence, then his removal makes it a timeline that should not be. The second wormhole, the singularity, it's time throwing a fit and erasing a world that should not exist. It's the paradox made tangible. That's what Barry's racing now, he's racing to stop the annihilation, to prevent the timeline's collapse and anchor a world that can not be. He's creating the Multiverse.

This loving show...

You know what, I'm gonna go with this.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Maybe I'm in the minority but I loved the ending just as much as I loved the rest of it.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Xtanstic posted:

Down this road lies madness. I hope they don't contrive something bad to keep him around, just like they did with Barrowman on Arrow. It was the worst.

Having Wells hang out on Thea's couch all season would be a lot of fun.

The finale felt like it was paced too slow at the beginning, but the only time wasted was the Ronnie/Snow wedding, which, given Ronnie's absence from Legends of Tomorrow, seems like it was building towards something that we never got to see. The ending was great - and the perfect point to stop given what unfolded. If Barry had saved his mother and screwed up the timeline, we would have needed a better idea of where things stood. Cliffhangers can work as season finales, as we weren't denied an ending to this chapter of the story. Whatever is going on is a whole new beginning, and worth leaving for next season.

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Maybe he will have a problem with that too.

You mean Eddie? He was pretty dead when he got sucked in...

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I'm only 10 minutes into the episode but I don't really like Flashdad's "everything happened for a reason" bullshit especially because what happened to them was some time travelers coming around and changing history to begin with.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I still don't understand why RF was so mad when Future Barry ran little Barry down the road. Why was that some major blockage that meant he couldn't kill him any more? Sure, he was about to run out of speed force - but he didn't know that :colbert:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Timett posted:

I'm only 10 minutes into the episode but I don't really like Flashdad's "everything happened for a reason" bullshit especially because what happened to them was some time travelers coming around and changing history to begin with.

The dude's been in prison for 15 years for a crime he didn't commit and he's only got two things to live for, his son and the heartfelt belief that it's somehow all for the best in the end. His pained expression of "I have to believe that" says it all, as terrible as it is it's the world he knows and made peace with, he's simply afraid of rolling the dice again and getting something even worse.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Why on earth did they even let Wells out of his cell? I mean he contributed to the effort in that he rebuilt the accelerator and it was all his plan, but him being allowed to go roam in any time he pleased never really struck me as a particularly bright idea, yet no one at any point seemed to be opposed to it.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dubar posted:

Why on earth did they even let Wells out of his cell? I mean he contributed to the effort in that he rebuilt the accelerator and it was all his plan, but him being allowed to go roam in any time he pleased never really struck me as a particularly bright idea, yet no one at any point seemed to be opposed to it.
I think their mindset was "we just want this future sociopath to leave and never return again" and really who can blame them? It's that or keep him there and you know he'll just keep loving with everyone.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Phenotype posted:

I also wonder whether the emotional climax of this episode would have been ruined if it had instead been Eddie shrieking at the top of his lungs and holding his groin while RF phased out of existence.

That was not the emotional climax of the episode. That honor belongs to Barry tearfully letting his mom die so that he can go back to the timeline he knows.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah it kind of does seem he could have just been left to rot in his cell. Unless the idea was his time machine was supposed to close the wormhole.

Also, why couldn't Wells just run in the accelerator himself? He's clearly faster than Barry.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dubar posted:

He did tell them how to time travel.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

Yeah it kind of does seem he could have just been left to rot in his cell. Unless the idea was his time machine was supposed to close the wormhole.

Also, why couldn't Wells just run in the accelerator himself? He's clearly faster than Barry.

I guess all the stuff early in the season with the tachyon device was him trying to juice himself up enough so that he could do it himself, but then he found out it wasn't really working too well so back to plan A

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Rocksicles posted:

Killer Frost!

Oh my. :swoon:

Previous reluctance for this storyline gone.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I could have sworn I saw a trailer prior to this episode where Barry was fading out like back to the future or something, which wasn't in this episode. Am I imagining that?

Shadowstar
May 19, 2003

~~~~~~~~~
Wouldn't Eddie simply committing in that moment to never have kids have the exact same effect on the timeline?

Also: A black hole that can be destroyed by runs-fast. And, how is none of that extremely fast spinning debris he's running on slamming him in the face? Whatever, I love this show.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

I could have sworn I saw a trailer prior to this episode where Barry was fading out like back to the future or something, which wasn't in this episode. Am I imagining that?

The trailer had the voice over of Cisco (?) saying "He's fading out of existence", which turned out to be Reverse Flash, and played it over the footage of White Emblem Barry standing there with all the flashing speed force lights making him look funny

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Caper posted:

You mean Eddie? He was pretty dead when he got sucked in...
You know this is a comic show right?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Valeyard posted:

The trailer had the voice over of Cisco (?) saying "He's fading out of existence", which turned out to be Reverse Flash, and played it over the footage of White Emblem Barry standing there with all the flashing speed force lights making him look funny

Those tricksy trailer makers.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
There's a fairly decent chance you'd not make yourself entirely infertile by shooting yourself in the dick. The safer bet is to just off yourself. Of course, personally I'd try the other option first, but he didn't have a lot of time.

Goddamn you writers for that cliffhanger. When is season 2 again?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

That's an interesting statue.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Valeyard posted:

That's an interesting statue.

They seem to have taken some....artistic license with the groin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm thinking that opens up the option for a TACHYON POWERED EDDIE THAWNE WITH BLACK HOLE BRAIN DAMAGE to come up and RF all up in dis bitch.

He got moved OUTSIDE OF TIME, so Eobard doesn't exist but that's also how he runs fast. No speed force for him.

That's what they did with Zoom

• Locked thread