Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Thermopyle posted:

Anyone else have Google Play Music act weird?

I have All-Access, so I'm not sure if that matters, but when I'm playing a playlist or radio station, the currently playing song doesn't update at the bottom of the screen. It'll just continually show the info for the first song played even though it is actually playing the other songs in the playlist.

Works fine in IE...

Yes I have experienced this issue, I had to switch to a different browser. Sucks since I'm paying for All Access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Here's a question I couldn't find anything about even after an hour of Googling. It used to be I could right click broken images like they were regular images, and select "open image in new tab" or "open image in new window". Some recent Chrome update broke that, and now I can no longer right click on broken images. I can still use inspect element to get the URL of the broken images.

Is anyone else having this problem? Can it be fixed?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Thermopyle posted:

I have All-Access, so I'm not sure if that matters, but when I'm playing a playlist or radio station, the currently playing song doesn't update at the bottom of the screen. It'll just continually show the info for the first song played even though it is actually playing the other songs in the playlist.

Works fine in IE...

Yeah this happened to me in the last day or two. If it was just visual I wouldn't mind, but it also won't let me go to Next Track in radio with the browser or keyboard button, which is... more of a problem.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Works fine in IE...

Update Chrome, should work fine after.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah the new update fixes it, so that's good.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I am up to date on beta channel.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah, you'll need to switch to stable if you want it fixed sooner.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

teagone posted:

Ahh, ok. So it's just Chrome and VP9 being poo poo on Mac OS. Got it.

Also, http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/13/chromium-4k-60fps-video/

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Anyone else having issues with Youtube Center? It's turned itself off and I can't re-enable it for some reason. I have the developer build of the extension, so I have the "developer mode" check box ticked off, but it won't let me turn it back on. I have other extensions which aren't from the Chrome store, but they're all still working okay.

The current build of Youtube Center works fine in Firefox, so it's not like it's out of date, either.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I'm pretty sure this is just me, but I've had problems every so often with the extension version of YouTube Center. I started using the userscript version way back (via Tampermonkey) and have never had a single problem since, from keeping it up to date to actual functionality.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

Anyone else having issues with Youtube Center? It's turned itself off and I can't re-enable it for some reason. I have the developer build of the extension, so I have the "developer mode" check box ticked off, but it won't let me turn it back on. I have other extensions which aren't from the Chrome store, but they're all still working okay.

The current build of Youtube Center works fine in Firefox, so it's not like it's out of date, either.
This is because Google decided to "help" everyone yesterday by extending the store-only extension restriction to all windows versions of Chrome, even dev versions. (and they'll be rolling this 'feature' out to mac next month too)

Now the only workaround to run unlisted extensions is to manually unpack them first. (crx files are just zip files, unzip them and then use the "load unpacked extension" button on the extension page to install them)

I'm guessing the off-store ones that still work for you were installed unpacked to begin with?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Arrgh, why does Google have to do this poo poo? I really liked the cool nerd company that was all about experimentation and innovation. Everyone wants to be Apple nowadays, "Your user experience will be what we tell you it is :colbert:" and all that.

Oh well, your tip to unpack it first worked a treat. Wonder how long that'll last?

crestfallen - I used to use the tampermonkey script but it had the incredibly annoying habit, for me at least, or forgetting all of my settings every time it updated. But if Google cracks down further on wrong-think extensions, I'll just have to go back to it, I suppose.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Gorilla Salad posted:

Arrgh, why does Google have to do this poo poo? I really liked the cool nerd company that was all about experimentation and innovation. Everyone wants to be Apple nowadays, "Your user experience will be what we tell you it is :colbert:" and all that.

Oh well, your tip to unpack it first worked a treat. Wonder how long that'll last?

crestfallen - I used to use the tampermonkey script but it had the incredibly annoying habit, for me at least, or forgetting all of my settings every time it updated. But if Google cracks down further on wrong-think extensions, I'll just have to go back to it, I suppose.

It's really irritating, but it's probably a good change.

People were getting owned by nefarious extensions. This should cut back on that at the expense of us nerds having a harder, but not impossible, time installing what we want.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Gorilla Salad posted:

Arrgh, why does Google have to do this poo poo?
Here's the explanation. Users were installing malicious extensions, so they restricted out-of-store extensions to dev channel. Then they found users were being tricked into switching to dev channel to install malicious extensions, so they have to shore that up too.

People claim this is a ploy to further push the "walled garden", but there appears to be a legitimate security threat, and frankly I would be unsurprised if the number of malicious extension installs exceeded the number of out-of-store, non-malicious ones.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I really liked the cool nerd company that was all about experimentation and innovation. ... Wonder how long that'll last?
Google, especially with Chrome, has been pretty good about finding a balance between allowing users to experiment and ensuring that they're informed about security risks. For example, all Chromebooks/boxes can be put into developer mode so you can modify the OS, with the caveat that there's a nag screen on boot to inform the user that they're using a modified device. Furthermore, even that can be disabled by physically opening the machine up to disable firmware flash write protection. The idea is, if you're going to go as far as to open the machine to mess with it, you're aware of what trouble you might be getting into.

That seems to be a pretty core philosophy of the folks on the Chrome team and it's unlikely to change. The question is, what amount of user action (inconvenience) meets the threshold of separating users who-know-what-they're-getting-into from those being mislead. They don't really know that amount is, but apparently requiring users to be on dev channel to use out-of-store extensions was too little.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

this has always been google's m.o; see the multitude of lovely web app redesigns they've foisted on people. at least with apple the user experience is generally pretty good trending upwards.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 15, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

this has always been google's m.o; see the multitude of lovely web app redesigns they've foisted on people. at least with apple the user experience is generally pretty good trending upwards.

I'm fairly sure the general consensus is that google web app design has gotten drastically better.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Since they hired some actual designers and stopped letting the engineers create the user interfaces. They actually have a consistent design language now!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there an actually good, not crashy extension yet for giving support for tab grouping a la Firefox's ctrl-shift-E thing (panorama I think)? The answer used to be the TabSugar extension, far as I know, but it hasn't been developed for a long time near as i can see.

TooManyTabs is the closest thing I've seen, but isn't really what I was going for. :(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The best thing I've done for managing groups of tabs is to group them by window.

It's not great, but it's the best I've come up with.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

That's actually what I used to do, then I learned that only one window (the "first" one) would be restored after chrome/the computer crashes entirely.

That was a sad day :(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

That's actually what I used to do, then I learned that only one window (the "first" one) would be restored after chrome/the computer crashes entirely.

That was a sad day :(

Odd, I restored multiple windows after a crash just yesterday.

I do seem to have a vague memory of having that issue in the past... maybe they fixed it?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Suppose it's possible. I'll open some windows and rudely power cycle the PC, see if they all come back.

(edit) Huh, they did. Good, I don't have to use slow-as-molasses Firefox anymore. Yay! :)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 16, 2015

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Suppose it's possible. I'll open some windows and rudely power cycle the PC, see if they all come back.

(edit) Huh, they did. Good, I don't have to use slow-as-molasses Firefox anymore. Yay! :)

There's still the problem of accidentally closing a window and losing all of its tabs.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Then you just go to recent tabs and open those tabs back up.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

I'm fairly sure the general consensus is that google web app design has gotten drastically better.

eh, from a usability standpoint it's all pretty middling; none of it's really best in class. they've moved things around a lot and made stuff look a bit nicer but it's not really 'better.' youtube is about the same or less usable than it was in 2012, gmail's still... fine, search is the same apart from the knowledge graph cards (genuinely good feature ngl) and pointlessly hiding all the other services in a submenu, google+ is still weird irritating and derelict etc. android looks a lot nicer than it did which seems to have percolated through to most of their services though they're not exactly consistent; the black top bar with the different services on it that they deprecated ages ago only just disappeared for me; now mostly replaced with the nearly-but-not-quite-consistent top bar.

the technical improvements to maps have drastically improved it despite some weird design decisions like hiding some direction mode icons behind an overflow menu when the UI element they are displayed on is big enough to fit all of them.

chrome has always had a dece UI and seems to have been exempt from most of the UI fuckery that goes on in their other properties; that's obviously no longer the case. the extension support has always been pretty nice as well. shame that the sheer amount of RAM and CPU time it eats is in no way proportional to its real world speed; feels slower than safari and ff in page loading, though the UI (tabs, menus etc. scrolling perf excepted) seems to hold up better and not descend into jank. would be nice if such a notorious system hog didn't so desperately want to run 24/7 though. one thing i will give chrome (desktop chrome, not 'slower than the unbranded AOSP browser it replaces' mobile chrome) is that it's just about the only google product where you can palpably feel a lot of effort has gone into making the UI responsive and feel nice to use - ripping tabs out of the top bar into separate windows feels good. safari comes close but it's nowhere near as responsive.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 17, 2015

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
I find myself copying links frequently from the browser but I keep running into issues where the longer links are shortened and I need to right click copy shortcut instead of just ctrl+c from the keyboard.

Is there a chrome extension that will automatically parse the shortened link into the clipboard?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I was reading about an extension that suspends tabs to give you more memory. I saw a few in the store; any anyone would recommend? Or are they mostly red herrings?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
https://www.one-tab.com/

One Tab is pretty cool. I don't use it anymore but you might want to try it. I used it when I had a low-spec laptop to contend with.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Forums user Anarchist Mae has written a great script for anyone who views the image threads. It automatically looks for gifv and webm versions of images which means no more opening a page with a dozen 50MB gifs and killing your computer.

Something Awful Image Fixes 1.3.0

It also does other things, like resize thumbnails, too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gorilla Salad posted:

Forums user Anarchist Mae has written a great script for anyone who views the image threads. It automatically looks for gifv and webm versions of images which means no more opening a page with a dozen 50MB gifs and killing your computer.

Amazing!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I tend to change my main browser every couple of years, so I'm back on Chrome now and a couple of things are driving me nuts :bahgawd:

1) Bookmarks
Scanning the last couple of pages, sounds like this bookmark manager is new? It seems they decided to remove every bookmark feature that's been invented in the last decade, since Google still returns cached support pages for bookmarks features that don't exist anymore (e.g. labels).

Is there a goon-consensus extension for better bookmark handling? I would like to have tags/labels. I would also like the ability to use the bookmark bar (the little one you can put below the main URL/controls bar) as kind of a dashboard/speed-dial for bookmarks, tags, and folders, where those items still truly reside in the main bookmark hierarchy that's tucked away in the bookmark menu/manager.

2) Window Placement
On Windows, I really like the Aero Snap gesture that "maximizes" a window vertically over the desktop while keeping its left and right sides the same size, and the gesture that resizes and places a window over the entire left or right half of the desktop. Chrome doesn't place new windows very well when in this state: it spawns a window of the same size, and places it to the right and down from the first one. Compare this to Firefox, which when a window is "maximized" vertically like this it will spawn a same-sized window but places it only to the right of the first one (not down at all), unless the first window is encroaching upon the right side of the desktop, in which case it will spawn the new window slightly to the left.

For me this is one of those tiny, minor things that produces an outsized :spergin: reaction in my brain. Is there any way to alter this behavior? I've tried searching the Web and the extension site a bit but haven't found anything. It doesn't help that strings like "chrome windows window placement" tend to not work well semantically in search engines :saddowns:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I posted Dewey Bookmarks earlier, its not perfect, and its actually pretty similar to the new stock bookmarks.

One feature I have always wanted is domain specific bookmarks. If I'm on something awful, it would be cool to have a bookmarks bar that only shows bookmarks for that site. Or a really fast way to search my bookmarks only for that current domain.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

Forums user Measly Twerp has written a great script for anyone who views the image threads. It automatically looks for gifv and webm versions of images which means no more opening a page with a dozen 50MB gifs and killing your computer.

:( this is hiding all the bookmark starts on my user control panel

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I tend to change my main browser every couple of years, so I'm back on Chrome now and a couple of things are driving me nuts :bahgawd:

1) Bookmarks
Scanning the last couple of pages, sounds like this bookmark manager is new? It seems they decided to remove every bookmark feature that's been invented in the last decade, since Google still returns cached support pages for bookmarks features that don't exist anymore (e.g. labels).

Is there a goon-consensus extension for better bookmark handling? I would like to have tags/labels. I would also like the ability to use the bookmark bar (the little one you can put below the main URL/controls bar) as kind of a dashboard/speed-dial for bookmarks, tags, and folders, where those items still truly reside in the main bookmark hierarchy that's tucked away in the bookmark menu/manager.

I use neater bookmarks (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/neater-bookmarks/ofgjggbjanlhbgaemjbkiegeebmccifi). I don't think tags exist in it, but it's really handy as a quick tree popup and I could never go back to a bookmarks bar after using it. You could probably combine it with a more robust bookmarks manager.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

We had a bit of discussion earlier about tab management. I usually group tabs by window, and I just came across this extension called Spaces which lets you name windows, save all the tabs in a window, and switch between them via a hotkey.

Works pretty well in my testing this afternoon.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

We had a bit of discussion earlier about tab management. I usually group tabs by window, and I just came across this extension called Spaces which lets you name windows, save all the tabs in a window, and switch between them via a hotkey.

Works pretty well in my testing this afternoon.

Is this like FreshStart and OneTab which lets you control your tabs and save them for later?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is this like FreshStart and OneTab which lets you control your tabs and save them for later?

Why don't you try it out and see?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Why don't you try it out and see?

I did, it's pretty much only similar in that you can keep your tabs from your previous session, but there doesn't seem to be a way to open automatically, just one by one and only if you click it which opens the new tab THEN go back to the Spaces window/tab to open another.

Tried it for a little bit and let it go. For me. OneTab works a lot better.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

teagone posted:

I never bothered watching 4k60fps YouTube content, but I did just recently and noticed it runs choppy in Chrome on my maxed out mid-2012 MacBook Air (Core i7, 8GB RAM). Weird thing is, when I play the same video in Safari at 4k60fps, it runs just fine (and looks amazing). Is the poo poo 4k playback in Chrome on Mac a known issue that's being looked at? Does or has anyone else experienced the same?

you can make it run on mp4 with chrome magic tools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Celexi posted:

you can make it run on mp4 with chrome magic tools

Is there an extension that just exclusively does that?