Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

BIG HEADLINE posted:

He's got to live in Russia, though. I'd imagine it's sort of like those Eastern European dictators who lived in castles and palaces, but knew they were surrounded by poo poo and squalor. They didn't *care*, but they still knew they were surrounded by poo poo and squalor.

The dude annexed a whole peninsula just for his vacation home - it's good to be the king err head of the FSS err chairman err prime minister err president err wait prime minister uhh President!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, when you aren't the one being beheaded, dismembered, and/or raped, and you're one of the only people in the country with clean drinking water and air conditioning, I'd imagine the Congo's pretty chill.

Have you seen/read about Gbadolite? poo poo was ridiculous.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Duke Chin posted:

The dude annexed a whole peninsula just for his vacation home - it's good to be the king err head of the FSS err chairman err prime minister err president err wait prime minister uhh President!

How about "show runner"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, when you aren't the one being beheaded, dismembered, and/or raped, and you're one of the only people in the country with clean drinking water and air conditioning, I'd imagine the Congo's pretty chill.

Truth, by that standard it is awesome to be Kim Jong Un

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Nebakenezzer posted:

Truth, by that standard it is awesome to be Kim Jong Un

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/variety/2014/02/23/Kim-John-Un-s-childhood-of-Big-Macs-and-pleasure-girls-revealed.html

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
S-97 Raider first flight today. Supposed to top out at 220 knots when they get done with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3njDrUtT8k

As ever, it doesn't look near as cool as the pre-production renders.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Does anyone have experience with powered paragliders? I'd like to know how long they stay fun before spending $$$$

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Slo-Tek posted:

S-97 Raider first flight today. Supposed to top out at 220 knots when they get done with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3njDrUtT8k

As ever, it doesn't look near as cool as the pre-production renders.

It is literally impossible to make a coaxial rotor system look cool...

Literally impossible. :colbert:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ChewedFood posted:

Does anyone have experience with powered paragliders? I'd like to know how long they stay fun before spending $$$$

I'm kind of interested in this as well, as a future hobby

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Duke Chin posted:

idk, I think the rotor is the only good looking part of that thing.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Duke Chin posted:

I see what you're doing. Using reverse psychology to get people to post pictures of sexy Russian attack helicopters. Well, someone ought to teach you a lesson, pilgrim! But I won't do it. No, I won't do it.

Aw, hell I will!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Duke Chin posted:

http://www.theonion.com/article/vladimir-putin-begins-second-term-as-whatever-he-i-4660

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Speaking of Putin and harassing bombers, B-52s will finally get a chance to bomb Sweden (sort of) as they will be part of a larger exercise there in June. Maybe some Gripens can intercept them?

quote:

The exercise featuring the B-52s, codenamed Baltops, is set to take place between June 5-20, featuring 4,500 personnel, 50 ships and over 50 combat aircraft. The bombers themselves are set to fly non-stop from the US and back, dropping a payload of simulated mines outside Ravlunda, southern Sweden on June 13. This will be the first time that B-52s will carry out exercises over the country, with the operation aimed at simulating the defense of the coast from a hypothetical Russian naval invasion.

http://sptnkne.ws/n5B

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I really like reading about Cold War II. I wonder when the name will finally catch on?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

BIG HEADLINE posted:

He's got to live in Russia, though. I'd imagine it's sort of like those Eastern European dictators who lived in castles and palaces, but knew they were surrounded by poo poo and squalor so they spent as much of their time as they could elsewhere. They didn't *care*, but they still knew they were surrounded by poo poo and squalor.

It's like being King poo poo of Radioactive poo poo Mountain.

I don't think hes sweating it.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Duke Chin posted:

Tsar Vladimir I of Russia. In which case, the guy better get busy because he needs a legitimate heir.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 23, 2015

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

So it's Fleet Week here in the greater NYC area. I work at the museum at Teterboro Airport, which is the closest reigonal airport to NYC. It also happens to be the primary parking area for most of the Fleet Week helos. Marine and Navy guys were nice enough to let me hang out pretty loving close to a Sea Knight, three Ospreys, four Blackhawks, and I got to see a Huey and HueyCobra leave in formation.
I'll post the photos when I get a chance. Unfortunately they're on my lovely backup phone (kinda dropped my phone out of an OV-1... long story) so the quality isn't the best. However, my coworker had his DSLR on him and he'd give me a copy of the CD on like Tuesday if anyone cares by then.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Pretty sure that long story needs to be posted, too.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Yeeeeeaaaaah gonna need that OV-1 bombardment story. :colbert:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Thirding the demand for the OV-1 story.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

It's not as interesting as it sounds. Ramp ops with an OV-1. Turns out pants aren't the best when it comes to holding things. Phone fell out as I was getting out and hit the deck. Looked like a drat fool to the people watching

Or do you want me to lie and say it fell as I was trying to take a picture from the cockpit and it got sucked out onto some unsuspecting Vietnamese farmers?

e: saying "my phone fell out of an airplane" is a lot more fun to say to people than "My phone fell out of an airplane as I was doing ramp ops with people watching."

Of all the airplanes I've had to climb into, the Mohawk isn't even the one that would be most likely to make a phone fall out. Flipping into a Fortress somehow didn't shatter my phone :shrug:

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 23, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I can't tell if I'm enraged or engorged at this.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
That third engine just seems unnecessary.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Definitely getting a 'kill me' vibe.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
"sooo, we put the prop-plane in line with the pilots, what else can we do to make this less safe?"

"Uhh give them en engine right below their feet?"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Get original already :colbert:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

I'd imagine the speed increase wouldn't really be enough to offset the increased amount of fuel and maintenance.

Though apparently now it's been stripped and abandoned.

Apparently the 6th Special Operations Squadron has a single BT-67 conversion, I'd presume mainly training/familiarizing foreign military pilots, or spooky people.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

ChewedFood posted:

Look around for a local instructor.

They have small two stroke engines so they tend to need a bit of tuning and rebuilds can be frequent if you do a ton of flying but are relatively cheap to do.

The sails and lines break down in the sun but if you dry and pack them properly they should last a long time.

Quite a few go to the ultralight area at Oshkosh so that is a great place to meet people and talk about there experiences.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

StandardVC10 posted:

For the work it did, flying in the polar regions of Canada and to Antarctica, it seems like a decent deal. Having a spare engine might be nice in the middle of nowhere.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conroy_Tri-Turbo-Three

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Holy poo poo it didn't even kick in that it was a FrankenDC-3 :stare:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Guys... I need to borrow some money.

:homebrew:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Is that thing packing CFM56s? Those sure aren't stock P&W.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Is that thing packing CFM56s? Those sure aren't stock P&W.

Yup. It's a DC-8-72, which is a CFM re-engine of the DC-8-62.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

helno posted:

Look around for a local instructor.

They have small two stroke engines so they tend to need a bit of tuning and rebuilds can be frequent if you do a ton of flying but are relatively cheap to do.

The sails and lines break down in the sun but if you dry and pack them properly they should last a long time.

Quite a few go to the ultralight area at Oshkosh so that is a great place to meet people and talk about there experiences.

Thanks

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Don't know if anyone caught this, but one of the aircraft involved in the 70th anniversary V-day flyover in DC had to make an emergency landing. A hydraulic line had a pinhole that caused vapor in the cockpit. Here cockpit footage of the event. Textbook performance by the pilot.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CBJamo posted:

Don't know if anyone caught this, but one of the aircraft involved in the 70th anniversary V-day flyover in DC had to make an emergency landing. A hydraulic line had a pinhole that caused vapor in the cockpit. Here cockpit footage of the event. Textbook performance by the pilot.

That is damned impressive.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So getting a ride on a Harrier might not be out of the realm of possibility in the near future, it'll just cost a fortune: http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/he-didnt-retire-he-started-his-own-harrier-squadron-1706212868

"...he recently got his hands on another Harrier from the UK, but this one was an ultra-rare two-seat TAV-8, which will allow him to teach other pilots how to fly the Harrier and even possibly take people for rides."

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Must be a Memorial Day parade around, because a C-17 just did a low flyover of our house. Pretty impressive noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

Duke Chin posted:

Holy poo poo it didn't even kick in that it was a FrankenDC-3 :stare:

I thought half the point of the DC-3 was to lose the third engine and its associated noise, vibration, and fire hazard compared to Ford Trimotor and the like? Not to say I wouldn't love a turboprop converted DC-3, though a turboprop PBY luxury yacht is much higher on the list despite the utter impossibility of it.

I wish we got cool flyovers for stuff, instead all the transplants whine about how terrifyingly loud the Growlers are when they fly within fifty miles. Strange how there were few complaints about Prowlers, until they stopped flying regularly for a few years then all of the sudden it was a loving shock that people bought property near an air base. Not like it's been there for 70 loving years or anything.