Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Fury Road comes after Beyond Thunderdome because it was released in 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Fury Road comes after Beyond Thunderdome because it was released in 2015.

So what you're saying is that Mad Max, the road warrior, traveled beyond Thunderdome on the Fury Road?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
There are little clues, like the fact that one was made with CGI and the other stars Tina Turner.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

The point is not that they should all feel (liberal) guilt, or that their own suffering is somehow illegitimate. The simple point is that their utopia can't work without workers. "If you don't fix what's broken, you'll go insane" has that very specific meaning.

It's definitely worth noting that they realise this, and decide to do a literal revolution.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 27, 2015

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

ElCondemn posted:

Considering in those days being able to read, or even owning a book was unlikely I'd argue that repetition would be pointless in regards to story. You were more likely to be read to than to ever read/re-read anything in the bible. I'm sure there are plenty of biblical scholars that can go deeper into it but my understand was that they were more interested in preserving the books in circulation at the time than they were with creating a good story. Which honestly after having read the bible a few times I got to say that the "story telling" was a pretty weak aspect of that book. Most of it reads like a log book.

I already explicitly addressed to lack of availability of written records and the mass illiteracy in my post, as I did with the interests of the priestly editors in preservation of history, etc. The point at which you seem to have gotten lost is that 'repetition makes for good storytelling,' you have interpreted as 'the story has aged well.' It doesn't actually matter whether you, the literate, modern, non-Hebrew consider the Bible to be good storytelling. You are now completely alienated from the context of which it was immediately relevant. But there is, in fact, no dispute that the Bible is made up predominantly of stories, and that techniques of storytelling inevitably factor into what it is attempting to convey. You need to think about what would constitute effective storytelling from the perspective of peoples of the time and culture, and based on the text's rhetorical purpose.

It reads to you like just a log book because the emphasis at the time was on preserving essential facts of history and imparting moral wisdom. But these real people who contributed over the centuries to the Bible were not idiots or ignoramuses. They were not just bad editors cobbling things together with no eye for contradictory details. These were their history. They poured over these texts and accounts again, and again, and again, and passed them down again, and again, and again. How they passed this stuff down, and what techniques they chose to convey this information would not have been a minor point on their checklist of goals. This was to be the thing that unified their entire culture, justified their very existence, rationalized why they maintained order instead of just devolving into total chaos.

ElCondemn posted:

You can believe whatever you want, he says it's after beyond thunderdome...

That is, in fact, not what he said:

"If you put a gun to my head, I’d say after Thunderdome, but it’s very loose. I can’t even work out the chronology of the first, second and third, let alone the fourth thirty years later."

Again, it's perfectly possible to interpret a unified story out of the Mad Max films. The point being made is that it's implicitly unverifiable and persists only in the imagination of the person who unifies the stories. It is not something that the filmmaker is particularly invested in, it is not something that can be consistently verified by the textual materials. Implicit in the unified story is that there is, in fact, not enough evidence from the available text to support it. On the other hand, the positive reading of the texts themselves as inherently contradictory and independent of one another is supported by the texts.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Then Max woke up having fallen asleep after too many donuts at the Aussie cop donut bar and realised it was just a dream

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Hopefully this puts this boring discussion to rest:

George Miller posted:

“It’s just recycling,” he said, laughing. “But it is different. It’s not the same story.”

Asked to explain the chronology of the films, he explained, “It’s sort of a revisit. The three films exist in no real clear chronology, because they were always conceived as different films.

I'm sure ElCondemn will find a way to twist this into meaning something it doesn't, but I'm done with this.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

K. Waste posted:

In the Bible, characters live for hundreds of years and still kick around doing rad hero poo poo. Sometimes events repeat themselves almost verbatim but with slight changes, suggesting that they are actually conflicting accounts of the same story.

That is the 'canon' of the Mad Max films.

The canon of Mad Max is "Gather round child as I tell you a story of have how home started". In this case its Furiosia telling the story so if this Max is different from the other 'tales' it's just her version of the lone mad man that helped save them all. Really a great way to make a series that can have different tones and themes.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Road Warrior just started playing on Spike, if anyone hasn't seen it and has cable.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

That's part of it, though she doesn't really have a death wish.

A proper interpretation of the film (especially as an allegory) begins with the simple fact that the five wives are the liberal-intellectual elite of the postapocalypse. We have seen complaints from both 'Gamergate' misogynists and none other than Anita Sarkesian herself, because the film is both undeniably feminist and gently anti-liberal.

The thing to keep in mind, when the women make their escape, is what they leave behind. It's not just the poor, the soldiers, the workers, the nannies, and everyone else, but the factories where production occurs. The wives remind me of nothing so much as those pictures that circulate of Paris Hilton reading a book, where people marvel that she's not illiterate.

They are not the good-guy opposites of the evil Joe, but the Republic to his Empire. Their dream of a world without aversive experience was sustained by brutal exploitation, of people both at home and 'overseas' (e.g. the Bullet Farm). That's to say that Joe dreams of the exact same Green Place, but is much more pragmatic about how to get there.

The point is not that they should all feel (liberal) guilt, or that their own suffering is somehow illegitimate. The simple point is that their utopia can't work without workers. "If you don't fix what's broken, you'll go insane" has that very specific meaning.

Oh my God.

I love you. I actually love you. You have nailed it, you have nailed it and now I know why I love this film. Because I believe that liberal utopia is exactly that. No place, salt flats and always living in hope. 'Yes we can' has no meaning here.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

dik-dik posted:

Hopefully this puts this boring discussion to rest:

I'm sure ElCondemn will find a way to twist this into meaning something it doesn't, but I'm done with this.

Dude, when the new Ghost in the Shell: ARISE miniseries came out, it was clearly stated that this it was a new continuity, a new take on the characters and even though it was an origin story, it wasn't a prequal to the other Ghost in the Shell Movie/Series. There were still a bunch of people who were like "I have a theory on how they are connected", even though there were lots of huge blatant contradictions.

I have a theory, and it's that the same drive to make sense of things that once drew people so strongly to religion is now acting on people's interpretations of mainstream media.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

A proper interpretation of the film (especially as an allegory) begins with the simple fact that the five wives are the liberal-intellectual elite of the postapocalypse. We have seen complaints from both 'Gamergate' misogynists and none other than Anita Sarkesian herself, because the film is both undeniably feminist and gently anti-liberal.

The thing to keep in mind, when the women make their escape, is what they leave behind. It's not just the poor, the soldiers, the workers, the nannies, and everyone else, but the factories where production occurs. The wives remind me of nothing so much as those pictures that circulate of Paris Hilton reading a book, where people marvel that she's not illiterate.

They are not the good-guy opposites of the evil Joe, but the Republic to his Empire. Their dream of a world without aversive experience was sustained by brutal exploitation, of people both at home and 'overseas' (e.g. the Bullet Farm). That's to say that Joe dreams of the exact same Green Place, but is much more pragmatic about how to get there.

This is a pretty great interpretation but it's not anti-liberal, it's anti-neo-liberal (assuming you meant liberal as leftist).

Snak posted:

Dude, when the new Ghost in the Shell: ARISE miniseries came out, it was clearly stated that this it was a new continuity, a new take on the characters and even though it was an origin story, it wasn't a prequal to the other Ghost in the Shell Movie/Series. There were still a bunch of people who were like "I have a theory on how they are connected", even though there were lots of huge blatant contradictions.

I have a theory, and it's that the same drive to make sense of things that once drew people so strongly to religion is now acting on people's interpretations of mainstream media.

Yeah, good point. I guess this is the same reason Marvel has all those silly numbered universes instead of just letting the different stories coexist in an amorphous mythological space.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 27, 2015

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Second viewing done, and it's still .

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Thump! posted:

Second viewing done, and it's still .

Why hasn't anyone bought this smilie yet

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So, the "Inspired Artists" book has lots of good art in it, but the hardbound format of it makes it kind of hard to view some of it. The fact that you can't really flatten out the pages to view the spreads is pretty bad in some of them. For example, there is a portrait of Furiosa, where the center crease of the book runs right through the middle of her face...

Again, the art itself is great, but it's painfully obvious it was not compose with this specific format in mind.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

dik-dik posted:

Why hasn't anyone bought this smilie yet

I spent 2 minutes scanning over the smilies page before spending another 10 looking through the past of the thread trying to find it.

:mediocre:

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Snak posted:

So, the "Inspired Artists" book has lots of good art in it, but the hardbound format of it makes it kind of hard to view some of it. The fact that you can't really flatten out the pages to view the spreads is pretty bad in some of them. For example, there is a portrait of Furiosa, where the center crease of the book runs right through the middle of her face...

Again, the art itself is great, but it's painfully obvious it was not compose with this specific format in mind.

Eugh, that's really disappointing, especially as someone who took a bookbinding class in college and knows that it's not actually that hard to bind a book that lies flat when you open it. Really don't know why this isn't done more often. Guess it's probably more expensive.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

dik-dik posted:

This is a pretty great interpretation but it's not anti-liberal, it's anti-neo-liberal (assuming you meant liberal as leftist).

Nah he meant liberal, he clearly pointed to Anita Sarkeesian having a hissy fit.

Guess I'll be buying the iTunes art book then!

This loving paragraph man. I'll add that the extreme beauty of these girls was chosen for the exact same reason Joe and co are such caricatures (to use Anita's word, she was right about that).

thehomemaster fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 27, 2015

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Don't really know anything about Anita Sarkeesian's politics, but the whole idea of a pampered elite utopia ignoring the existence of labor is a neoliberal not a liberal fantasy. Actual liberal politics tends to be way more concerned with workers' rights and such.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

So Mad Max: Fury Road is the Marxist-Feminist answer to the capitalist-patriarchy apologetics of the modern Hollywood superhero/action movie. I like it.

chaos rhames posted:

It's definitely worth noting that they realise this, and decide to do a literal revolution.

Revolution is such a fun word! A sudden and complete change as well as a full circle.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Of course Furiosa had revolutions on her mind, her rig was up to 7000 of em a minute at several points :haw:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Thump! posted:

I spent 2 minutes scanning over the smilies page before spending another 10 looking through the past of the thread trying to find it.

It's been editted into the OP of this thread if you ever need it in the future.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Snak posted:

If you look hard enough on the internet there are places that have the art book in a better format. All I'll say.

E: Actually I'll also say they should have made it a large format book, like the Art Of book, and had one piece per page to make the print version better.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
im disappointed that SMG didn't work in Jesus this time, when Nux is right there

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

WITNESS!!!

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

dik-dik posted:

Don't really know anything about Anita Sarkeesian's politics, but the whole idea of a pampered elite utopia ignoring the existence of labor is a neoliberal not a liberal fantasy. Actual liberal politics tends to be way more concerned with workers' rights and such.

Yeah dude he says that despite their wish for utopia they need to suck it up and use that labour, just maybe not as cruelly as Joe.

Which of course means that happy ending is anything but.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Blind Sally posted:

While I do not have 30bux to throw at an emoticon like that, if someone was to buy it, would it be :perfect: or :piew:?

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Neurolimal posted:

im disappointed that SMG didn't work in Jesus this time, when Nux is right there

No, no, MAX is Jesus. He's even 33 years old, just like old Joshua ben Joseph was when he gave of his blood and was crucified.

duhhhh

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Galaga Galaxian posted:

While I do not have 30bux to throw at an emoticon like that, if someone was to buy it, would it be :perfect: or :piew:?

I say :perfect:, but that's just me.

Also, mods please change my username to CARL THE ACCOUNTANT OF VIOLENCE tia

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Quantum Finger posted:

No, no, MAX is Jesus. He's even 33 years old, just like old Joshua ben Joseph was when he gave of his blood and was crucified.

duhhhh

I hope I'm not the only one who thought he looked disturbingly like Gerard Butler the whole time he had the muzzle on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tom Hardy clearly killed the Mel Gibson Max and absorbed his memories and skills via the quickening.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:perfect:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The characterization of Max is interesting, because it's almost like they remade The Road Warrior but with Max and the dog as the same character. The dog also dies along the way over the course of the film.

The muzzled imagery is a direct giveaway. You can practically hear the logline, "In a world where men are treated like dogs..."

Basically, Mad Max: Fury Road is the Wagnerian, exploitation epic that Django Unchained was trying to be. I really do quite like the Tarantino film, but I must say, I'm frequently gobsmacked at how compromised it feels compared to something like Fury Road. Where was Broomhilda's triumphant revenge upon the white rapist? Her husband takes care of it. What happens in Fury Road? 'I don't have a husband!' <rips face off>

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Eschatos posted:

What was the deal with the war boys spraying silver stuff on their mouths? Was that supposed to be spray paint or some kind of drug?

Look at this nub who has never huffed paint...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jack2142 posted:

Look at this nub who has never huffed paint...

The comic actually shows Nux father, and reveals where the chroming stuff came from. Here's the panel:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Thump! posted:

I hope I'm not the only one who thought he looked disturbingly like Gerard Butler the whole time he had the muzzle on.

I think we dodged a bullet there. Five years earlier and he's Mad Max.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

weekly font posted:

I think we dodged a bullet there. Five years earlier and he's Mad Max.

Actually five years earlier and Heath Ledger would have been Mad Max...

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Thump! posted:

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TheJoker138 posted:

Actually five years earlier and Heath Ledger would have been Mad Max...

Even before The Dark Knight Heath Ledger was one of my favorite actors ever because he specifically turned down being SPIDER-MAN to be the grown up Feral Kid. I would have made the same choice no hesitation.

• Locked thread