Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Angry Grimace posted:

Hell, I never really considered that possibility either until the sitting President came in and described how their relationship would basically be identical if Yukinoshita won the election since Yui could be VP and Hachiman would be the Girl Friday.

I didn't guess that either, partially because I don't know how student elections work in japan. I think at my school the VP had a separate race, or maybe they were appointed? US school councils don't do poo poo so I never paid attention.

Also now that I think about it, Yukino got into super-overachiever mode when she essentially became head of the festival committee. But the thing they were trying to keep was this low-key de-facto friendship they had going in the volunteer club. I think sitting president's idea was mostly a pipe dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

chumbler posted:

Though yeah, he does seem to be crushing hard on Saika, so maybe Yui was doomed from the start.
OTOH he also crushes a bit on the teacher.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

chumbler posted:

That just means she needs to keep on pushing harder until he runs out of flimsy excuses :colbert:. Shouldn't take too long since Hikki has no actual spine.

Though yeah, he does seem to be crushing hard on Saika, so maybe Yui was doomed from the start.

It doesn't even matter. Pretty much the point of his character is that he would deny their feelings as legitimate anyways, which is why he continually puts off Yui despite the fact she couldn't be clearer that likes him (outside of directly telling him this, which based on Hachiman's attitude, she's never gonna do). He hasn't shown himself to be super-anime oblivious yet, so I think we can assume he notices Yui hitting on him and rejects her because he assumes she has ulterior motives.

Paracelsus posted:

Given his character, it isn't surprising he likes women who give it to him straight practically all the time.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 27, 2015

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Yeah, I didn't realize either that they could all join the Council. I think the better question is, did anyone outside the show realize it?

chumbler posted:

That just means she needs to keep on pushing harder until he runs out of flimsy excuses :colbert:. Shouldn't take too long since Hikki has no actual spine.

Paracelsus posted:

Both people who are extremely unlikely to actually be attracted to him, so they're safe. At this point, I think it's less that he doubts Yui's sincerity and more that he's afraid of disturbing the way things are--there's a reason that Tobe's desire to confess to Ebina is the mirror they chose for Yui and Hikigaya on the school trip. I can't say I know how this episode would change that, if she was direct enough about it; people are complicated.

The next light novel volume (released just as this season of the anime ends) takes place around Valentine's Day, so I can only imagine what kind of trainwreck is incoming on that end.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Einander posted:

The next light novel volume (released just as this season of the anime ends) takes place around Valentine's Day, so I can only imagine what kind of trainwreck is incoming on that end.
The synopsis sounds interesting and there's even tentative cover art:

:v:

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

Paracelsus posted:

In this context, the opening bits from the visual novel are pretty great (around 3:30 - 4:00 ish)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LphVWHdzyck
Her voice actress does a good job with the lines.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I hope somebody will be able to entertain some more of my silly questions:

If Yukino detests superficiality, why doesn't she follow through with her convictions? ie. Why does she send gifts to her family to get her family not to hate her even though she hates them (episode 3)? Why does she play along with the superficial situation in the service club?

What exactly is supposed to be her definition of a genuine relationship? Many people online have commented about the whole "genuine" thing, but I'm not sure if anybody has clearly defined what it exactly means to Yukino. To me, it seems that Yukino contradicts her own anti-superficial belief with hypocritical behavior. What I mean by that is that even her closest friends (if she even calls them that) don't understand her at all, and she maintains her own surface-level facade around them. How does she expect to acquire genuine relationships if she doesn't give a little? After the events of the previous episode, Yukino has got to realize that she's gotta open up to others to nurture non-superficial relationships with them.

The whole club room + rooftop scene was mostly a conversation between Yui and Hachiman or from Yui to Yukino... Hardly any productive input from Yukino, particularly on the bits that Yui raised about having to talk to each other in order to try to understand one other.

I'm not sure if these are questions that may be answered in the next episode or down the road.

(I'm probably overthinking all this.)

On a side-note, I like how the animators occasionally lip sync Yui's animation with her voice like at the end of episode 4 or in the previous episode.

e: Okay, I just read the sections of vol 9 that covered the recent episode, and things make a lot more sense now.

krnhotwings fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 28, 2015

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Kaelan Zero posted:

In this context, the opening bits from the visual novel are pretty great (around 3:30 - 4:00 ish)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LphVWHdzyck
Her voice actress does a good job with the lines.

Wow cool there's a VN.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

afaik the vn translation is dead in the water, there are some videos of it on youtube though that i haven't seen. the fact that there's no real translation sucks, cause there's a saika route

i come bearing fan art, both good and bad
http://imgur.com/a/MA1dn bunch of fan comics

also a pic of hikki's mom, who apparently is a character in the manga

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Just going to give a spoiler warning as some of those fan comics could be alluding to future developments that haven't come up in the anime.

I'm not going to lie, while a few of them were kind of dumb, a couple were pretty great. The last one was a hoot!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I watched episode 6 kind of in the background tonight. I really dislike this new-ish girl and this heavy focus on classroom politics, given that I never went to Japanese school (or any school with a student board beyond the yearbook crew, which probably reveals that I didn't go to a public high school but whatever.)

Maybe between this and the Yamada show I'm overdosing on High School Harem Comedies, but I got through the first season of this show with my attention intact so who knows.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't think this is the kind of show you can watch in the background, because eventually you'll have no idea what's going on.

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.
I pay attention and I still don't know what's going on. More importantly, I don't know who 8man wants to bang.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Silvain posted:

I pay attention and I still don't know what's going on. More importantly, I don't know who 8man wants to bang.

The whole show is an elaborate game of gently caress, Marry, Kill where we already know who he's going to marry (Saika).

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Silvain posted:

He acknowledged the teacher. He wants the teacher.

The_Frag_Man fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 28, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Silvain posted:

totsuka

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Who wouldn't want to?

It's too long until the next episode. :f5:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Silvain posted:

Isshiki, probably. :shrug:

http://www.myinstants.com/instant/sore-aru/

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
I am not normally in ADTRW much, but I really like this show, especially this season.

This last episode was especially good, you kind of got a feel for how all the characters have opened up a lot. I haven't been too hot on the festival-planning-committee scenes, so I am glad they kind of glanced over that part instead of rehashing it.

This episode felt a lot lighter than the show has been, which was welcome at this point. Its neat that they can keep the characters slowly evolving without ruining the dynamic between them. I think all the characters have sort of grown on me by now. I enjoyed the return of Yui's obnxious cheer, its a shame Saika wasn't tagging along. I didn't really expect Irohas' confession until just before it happened, but I am glad the show manages to throw some kind of twist in before the end of each episode to keep me on edge, and that they can manage it without feeling contrived..

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Yukino purchasing that ride photo was 2cute4me :3:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I want to throw Orimoto out a window alongside the student council president of her school.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Silvain posted:

I pay attention and I still don't know what's going on.
Things didn't click for me until I read one detail that's present in the LN and not in the anime: that Hachiman, himself, realizes and acknowledges that he can no longer believe in his distaste for superficial relationships (or rather that his view has changed.) He sees Hayama's group and realizes that they were lying to each other because they all wanted to protect their friendship that they treasure, and that's something that Hachiman can't reject. Those couple of sentences in the LN explained a lot to me about what's going on with Yukino since she and he no longer share the same conviction.

Oh wow, I didn't notice that. So that's what it was... (the kyakka translated LN described that thing as a "thin oblong plastic pouch"...?) Today's episode was very cute; the awkwardness in the club room... :3:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Yukino is just :3: this entire episode.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am done with season 1, and Ebina is very powerful and needs to show up more. Actually gently caress it, the whole B team owns.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 29, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

start season 2, and be happy

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Hey look, it's a first glimpse at the Service Club actually acting as a group of friends. And pretty much admitting it and stuff.

I think I was smiling the entire way through that episode.

Well, except for the end. I actually did see that coming, unfortunately. Iroha was probably coming to ask Hikki/the club about help confessing last episode and ended up asking Tobe instead when that didn't pan out.

Cake Attack posted:

start season 2, and be happy

Word.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut
Latest episode starts off nicely.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Strong opening, good demonstration of how the trio's friendship has evolved, and overall just an adorable outing. Definitely one of my favourite episodes so far.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A fine episode, yet again. :)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

awkward

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

While most of the characters made the transition between studios pretty well, I'm not a fan of 8man's season 2 look. He looks too normal or even cool, compared to his kind of runty and out of place first season design.

Also sorry ladies in the show, it is now ridiculously apparent that he is gayer than the day is long.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
From what i've been told he's supposed to look pretty normal.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

:911:

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Iretep posted:

From what i've been told he's supposed to look pretty normal.

Yeah, I actually like his look a lot. He looks normal, but with gross eyes. I feel like Feel (aha) has done a better job overall on the animation, but I am really not fond of the gradiant effect they all have on their hair. It bothers me. Is the transition towards less fan service just an anime thing, or is it like this in the LN too? (I have been pleased by this.)

I am not sure if this joke is missed over here, or even better.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MrAptronym posted:

Is the transition towards less fan service just an anime thing, or is it like this in the LN too? (I have been pleased by this.)
The LN was just as dour, perhaps even more so since there were more monologues of Hachiman beating himself up over constantly getting it wrong. Of course, to appease both camps, there's also the *.5 volumes that cover the lighter moments of the Service Club (the latest one is an Iroha showcase).

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Watched the first season of this this week, just watched the first couple episodes of the second. It's a much better show than I would have expected. Thanks to its evangelists in the chat thread.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Honestly this show has one of the dumbest anime names and it kept me away from the show for a while.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Pavlov posted:

Honestly this show has one of the dumbest anime names and it kept me away from the show for a while.

It's funny because this was one of the first shows I watched when getting into anime beyond whatever was on TV, and it was because of the stupid name.

Also holy moly this episode was so good. It's interesting to see the contrast between the relationships Hachiman has with the two girls.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

chumbler posted:

Also sorry ladies in the show, it is now ridiculously apparent that he is gayer than the day is long.

Do you really think he's gay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Literally the only way I get people to watch this show is to physically sit them down and show them like the first six episodes.

Even people who usually take my suggestions seriously can't get past the terrible name and seemingly (ironically) generic Rom-com setup. It doesn't help the first few episodes are somewhat episodic and could be taken as condoning Hikki's philosophy if not given the benefit of the doubt, which would just make it usual your usual otaku-pandering highschool harem. It's just a really difficult sell even to its specific niche audience, so much so that I'm really surprised it has as much attention as it does at the moment.

• Locked thread