Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Conn Smythe Memorial Trophy for Okay, I Guess

There's a lot of those this season.

Last year the Conn Smythe was literally awarded to a guy because people noticed he'd had a disproportionate amount of success in Game 7s throughout his career. I'm not really sure it means all that much as a trophy these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And the year before Patrick Kane came out of left field too.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
so hockey is pretty dumb right now, but im glad you guys seem to be having a good time with it, i will be in the corner moaning.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

And the year before Patrick Kane came out of left field too.

Yeah, he was sorta 'best among a bunch of players who played well but weren't spectacular.' The last time the Conn Smythe was an obvious decision was 2012 (2011 too sadly - Thomas would've won even if the Canucks took game 7). It'll go to whoever ends up with a bunch of points in the finals this year I guess.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's okay. Everybody liked Tim Thomas in 2011. You can admit it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It's okay. Everybody liked Tim Thomas in 2011. You can admit it.

I didn't.

My brother was working at the hotel where the Bruins were staying in 2011 and the morning of game 7 he had a straight shot at Tim Thomas as he walked across the lobby and he DIDN'T dive tackle his knee. I will never forgive him for that.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
A few weeks ago I was, like, HOW ARE SO BORING PLAYOFF??+

But these two series own.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
My heart can't take a game 7 in Anaheim

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ross Angeles posted:

My heart can't take a game 7 in Anaheim

Good news then, there probably won't be a game 7.

If you'd told me a month ago that Rosival was critical to the success of the team I would have laughed at you. Today? Rosival was actually a whole lot better than the dregs waiting in the wings. His injury really hosed over the defensive depth.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

xzzy posted:

Good news then, there probably won't be a game 7.

If you'd told me a month ago that Rosival was critical to the success of the team I would have laughed at you. Today? Rosival was actually a whole lot better than the dregs waiting in the wings. His injury really hosed over the defensive depth.

I don't take back any of the things that I said.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

RC Cola posted:

I don't take back any of the things that I said.

Want Clendenning back? I'm cool with just reversing that trade.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Rozi isn't the issue, everything off the rush/off a mistake hitting the back of the net is.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

GoatShaver posted:

So St. Louis doesn't get resigned, i'm curious to see what Kreider gets.

if I had to guess, Slats will aim for 3-3.5 bridge deal for him. He's got virtually the same ppg as last year but he's not quote first line material. Zucc got 4.5 but he was a ufa.

Stepan's a bit more tricky. Hopefully they get him on a deal similar to Brassard.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DOOMocrat posted:

Rozi isn't the issue, everything off the rush/off a mistake hitting the back of the net is.

It's not quite everything, but close enough.

It's doesn't help that there have been several times in each game where the Hawks have gotten caught in a line change. I know that it's inevitably going to happen once or twice a game, but it seems like it's happening 5-6 times a game for the Hawks because they often choose the wrong option when trying to get the puck into the offensive zone. They blast it in when it should be chipped or put it on goal when ringing it around would be better. And it almost always leads to a Duck winger on the opposite side of the ice getting the puck at the blue line while the defense scrambles to get back into position.

Now let's force a game 7 Hawks.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
Looks like David Rundblad is taking Timonen's minute(s) tonight, so good ol' Kimmo may have played in his last game. Even if they move on you have to figure he won't be put back in.

That was a cool trade.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
im thinking about setting up a hotline for people to call and console me on friday night after the game. i will be drunk, so please do not abuse this by being aphrodite and making deeply hurtful poignant comments

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DOOMocrat posted:

Well there's a lot going on in general:

a) The Toews/Kesler matchup means their lines will basically never accomplish anything,
b) Kane has three guys shadowing him every time he's on the ice and his linemates are unable to catch a pass,
c) Basically playing just four defense,
d) Chicago defense getting crushed into the fifth row of the bleachers every time they touch the puck means the defense is playing a little more timid,
e) Corey Perry has spent the whole series violating Crawford while the worst Chicago can put in front of Andersen is Shaw.

Chicago should be able to make adjustments and try a new game plan but so far everything Q has tried has resulted in more goals against or a loss so I'm thinking he's just praying his existing setup can hold out long enough to win four games.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Wonderllama posted:

im thinking about setting up a hotline for people to call and console me on friday night after the game. i will be drunk, so please do not abuse this by being aphrodite and making deeply hurtful poignant comments

:toxx: If the Rangers win on Friday I will make something Bolts related and mail it to you, since you are a grating yet amusing LAS poster. And like the only one I can think of. (If you want.)

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Is Bickell injured or something? He seems useless out there this playoffs. Don't recall seeing him being effective in front of the net much if at all.

VVV I recall him scoring a lot a few playoffs ago, but I guess like most "big guys", they tend to load up on the pancakes (Penner), and fade out fast VVV

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 27, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kragger99 posted:

Is Bickell injured or something? He seems useless out there this playoffs. Don't recall seeing him being effective in front of the net much if at all.

No, that's just how he plays. Cut his paycheck by 90% and he'd still be overpaid.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I am not ready to lose to the Ducks tonight.

I really would have preferred losing to either the Preds or Wild, because they at least have players I like and cool fans.

Also, a Ducks/Rangers SCF is the second worst thing ever, with the worst still being that Kings/Devils abomination of a series.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
No one's in the finals yet and you guys are being more whiny than RAS during the Caps round, jesus.

E: :qq: TWO OF THE BEST TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE MIGHT BE IN THE SCF :qq:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Rangers are so bad they need 7 games to win every series, Ducks have an oompa loompa coaching them, Corey Perry is a goalie molester and Lundqvist is half an inch away from being Ryan Miller 2.0 (he ugly). :colbert:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Furnaceface posted:

Rangers are so bad they need 7 games to win every series, Ducks have an oompa loompa coaching them, Corey Perry is a goalie molester and Lundqvist is half an inch away from being Ryan Miller 2.0 (he ugly). :colbert:

I'll concede everything in that statement except for the Hank talk because that's just insane.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
If the Ducks win the SCF, I hope next season Freddy's goalie mask has a Lego man building a Stanley Cup from Lego blocks

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LmaoTheKid posted:

No one's in the finals yet and you guys are being more whiny than RAS during the Caps round, jesus.

E: :qq: TWO OF THE BEST TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE MIGHT BE IN THE SCF :qq:

Hint: that's not why.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

xzzy posted:

Well there's a lot going on in general:

a) The Toews/Kesler matchup means their lines will basically never accomplish anything,
b) Kane has three guys shadowing him every time he's on the ice and his linemates are unable to catch a pass,
c) Basically playing just four defense,
d) Chicago defense getting crushed into the fifth row of the bleachers every time they touch the puck means the defense is playing a little more timid,
e) Corey Perry has spent the whole series violating Crawford while the worst Chicago can put in front of Andersen is Shaw.

Chicago should be able to make adjustments and try a new game plan but so far everything Q has tried has resulted in more goals against or a loss so I'm thinking he's just praying his existing setup can hold out long enough to win four games.

What can really be done, though ? Physical teams are always difficult for the Hawks - the Blues, Predators, etc always take a few games against them in the playoffs ,if not outright win like Phoenix a few years ago. With physical + two lines that can score (so that Toews cant just go out against one line teams) there isnt much the Hawks are able to do. They aren't getting anything from Saad or Shaw (7 and 6 points respectively) this year and Hossa isn't scoring goals either, just assists. Bickell's even worse.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

What can really be done, though ? Physical teams are always difficult for the Hawks - the Blues, Predators, etc always take a few games against them in the playoffs ,if not outright win like Phoenix a few years ago. With physical + two lines that can score (so that Toews cant just go out against one line teams) there isnt much the Hawks are able to do. They aren't getting anything from Saad or Shaw (7 and 6 points respectively) this year and Hossa isn't scoring goals either, just assists. Bickell's even worse.

Blow it up and start over. Only this time draft for bigness. It worked for Toronto right?

Also its clear the Hawks only want it while the Ducks, well, they loving want it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Nothing that has a good chance of working out well.. keeping Toews and Kesler apart will give Chicago more scoring, but it also hands the Ducks more scoring. Putting Toews and Kane together means only one Chicago line is capable of scoring and the other three are just space fillers.

I still think Hossa is hurt, he's usually good for a couple highlight reel tours of the offensive zone but he's been invisible for weeks.

I think Saad and Shaw are playing to the limit of their talent, and yeah, gently caress Bickell. I hesitate to say he should get a season ending injury because I wanted the same thing for Rosival and that didn't work outl at all, but boy oh boy do I want him gone. I just don't know who could replace him at this point.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

xzzy posted:

Nothing that has a good chance of working out well.. keeping Toews and Kesler apart will give Chicago more scoring, but it also hands the Ducks more scoring. Putting Toews and Kane together means only one Chicago line is capable of scoring and the other three are just space fillers.

I still think Hossa is hurt, he's usually good for a couple highlight reel tours of the offensive zone but he's been invisible for weeks.

I think Saad and Shaw are playing to the limit of their talent, and yeah, gently caress Bickell. I hesitate to say he should get a season ending injury because I wanted the same thing for Rosival and that didn't work outl at all, but boy oh boy do I want him gone. I just don't know who could replace him at this point.

Hayes? Oh wait. Hmmm. How about Morin? drat it we traded him too. Oh well maybe some punchman

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RC Cola posted:

Hayes? Oh wait. Hmmm. How about Morin? drat it we traded him too. Oh well maybe some punchman

Carcillo feels a shiver go down his spine and can't figure out why.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'm not ready to give up yet. :mad:

They'll gently caress it up in OT in game 7, just like last year.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I haven't given up, not entirely. I'm just resigning myself to the fact at this point in time the Ducks are good enough to win the series and could very well do it.. they aren't getting steamrolled like the last two teams.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Aphrodite posted:

Hint: that's not why.

It's because fans are whiny shits isn't it

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

xzzy posted:

I haven't given up, not entirely. I'm just resigning myself to the fact at this point in time the Ducks are good enough to win the series and could very well do it.. they aren't getting steamrolled like the last two teams.

gently caress you. Hawks are gonna win it all.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
These videos of refs explaining calls are pretty cool.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=825470&catid=345

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Well that was a dumb game. I kind of expected the loss though.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Game 7s :toot:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Out of all the possible interesting matchups for the Stanley Cup Finals, we're going to loving get Chicago - New York, aren't we?

:fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Out of all the possible interesting matchups for the Stanley Cup Finals, we're going to loving get Chicago - New York, aren't we?

:fuckoff:

Yeah man neither of those teams are interesting or fun to watch

• Locked thread