Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Evilreaver posted:

I need a game focused on resource management and min/maxing, particularly with supply chains and the like. I've put an unhealthy amount of hours into Factorio, Space Engineers, Minecraft Technic, Transport Tycoon and even Fortresscraft.

I'm jonesing pretty hard here. Gregtech and Factorio Marathon are starting to look good :ohdear:

Starbound is a butt, Rimworld doesn't appear to be on Steam, DF I've boatmurdered, and I'm not really looking for a citybuilder. Prison Arch I'll look into.

Try Banished.

If you're just looking for something like DF but different, Gnomoria is fun. You can make robot replacement arms for your Gnomes when they lose the original meat limbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ninety posted:

I want to try submarine simulation games, where's a good place to start? I'm new to sim games in general but I'm not worried about complexity and difficulty as much as quality. I don't want to learn how to play one of these things and find out the game I picked out is a buggy broken mess afterward.

Silent Hunters 3 and 4. Sub Commander is a good free modern sub game. Dangerous Waters is also a good modern sub game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Maleketh posted:

SaltyBet is definitely the kind of thing we do, but we'd rather have control since we sometimes set up tournament brackets and such.

So download Mugen and make your own SaltyBet.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Anyone know of a good pc RPG for a younger age group? Like ages 8-11 specifically. It has to be older and preferably under a T rating.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Len posted:

Anyone know of a good pc RPG for a younger age group? Like ages 8-11 specifically. It has to be older and preferably under a T rating.

http://site.scfworks.com/?page_id=8

Nothing mature, good story/gameplay/mechanics, but a little on the difficult side so they might need a hand. Otherwise get a SNES emulator for Super Mario RPG?

E: Unless you mean Diablo-like, in which case probably Torchlight. If you mean Skyrim-like, I don't know any.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 26, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Len posted:

Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Thousand Year Door, etc. All meant for kids and fantastic.

Not the most recent Wii / 3DS ones though, they aren't RPGs anymore.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Costume Quest.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Costume Quest.
Seconding this.

Half-Minute Hero could work too, its not a very complex or difficult game and its kid-friendly.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I want a game, something simple where movement is the primary concern, I don't want any story or convoluted mechanics which I won't learn for a dozen hours playtime. I'm after something like Super Meat Boy or Spelunky, a rouge like would be great but not a deal-breaker. Preferably real-time since I'd like something twitchy. Something with optional challenges or hidden extra's would also be good.

I already own:

Super Meat Boy
Spelunky
Super House of Dead Ninjas
Rogue Legacy
Binding of Issac: Rebirth
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Dungeons of Dredmor
FTL

so that rules those out but outwith those, any suggestions?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Try Super Crate Box- it's kinda like Super Meat Boy with guns. Simple and free on Steam, I got a good couple hours out of it.

There's also You Have To Win The Game, which is also simple and free on Steam but is exploration-based.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
Vertical Drop Heroes is pretty good and in that same vein of games too.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Ramagamma posted:

I want a game, something simple where movement is the primary concern, I don't want any story or convoluted mechanics which I won't learn for a dozen hours playtime. I'm after something like Super Meat Boy or Spelunky, a rouge like would be great but not a deal-breaker. Preferably real-time since I'd like something twitchy. Something with optional challenges or hidden extra's would also be good.

I already own:

Super Meat Boy
Spelunky
Rogue Legacy
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Dungeons of Dredmor
FTL

Please get Risk of Rain, it's exactly what you're looking for.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bouchacha posted:

I had completely forgotten about that game since a Giant Bomb quick-look when it first came out. I'll give it a shot.

Cheers!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Ramagamma posted:

I already own:

Super Meat Boy
Spelunky
Rogue Legacy
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Dungeons of Dredmor
FTL

N

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Ramagamma posted:

I had completely forgotten about that game since a Giant Bomb quick-look when it first came out. I'll give it a shot.

Cheers!

Sounds like you're already on board, but I'll toss in a vote in support of RoR. While it has its flaws, it's delightfully weird and just a lot of fun overall.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I will never not read that acronym as Rule of Rose and laugh at people recommending it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
You might like TagPro if you like games where the primary mechanic/challenge is movement. It's multiplayer though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Guacamelee might be worth a look too.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
If I wanted to play a game where I can shoot bad guys online on my PS4, what game would I get?

I was thinking either Battlefield 4 or Hardline, but I hear those games have awful online support and lovely netcode.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Grump posted:

If I wanted to play a game where I can shoot bad guys online on my PS4, what game would I get?

I was thinking either Battlefield 4 or Hardline, but I hear those games have awful online support and lovely netcode.
Killing Floor 2 is getting a PS4 port, keep an eye on that perhaps because its real fun already in its early access state on PC.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bouchacha posted:

Picked this up last night and put a few hours in, it's a total blast!

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Grump posted:

Helldivers. The next level of twin stick shooters, it's so elegant and tactical. Very fun.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Grump posted:

Don't do what I did and buy Killzone. Its boring.

Destiny is fun if you approach it like Halo-PhantasyStarOnline and not Halo-WorldofWarcraft. With the new expansions it has more to do and its less grindy. The expansions are $30 but you should be able to get the base game for $30 used easy.

Wolfenstein is your classic single player campaign FPS.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Helldivers. The next level of twin stick shooters, it's so elegant and tactical. Very fun.

Is a fun game with shooting (but not an FPS) although I feel like Helldivers is losing steam. It was fun for awhile to co-op but its too repetitive and most of us have burned out by now.

Also gently caress the never ending illuminates war.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

I have Destiny and hate it.

Looking for a good FPS mostly. Though, I looked up Helldivers, and it looks super fun.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Grump posted:

I have Destiny and hate it.

Looking for a good FPS mostly. Though, I looked up Helldivers, and it looks super fun.

Wolfenstein.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

The New Order? Does that not have an online mode?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Looking to hang out with a friend online via a PC game. Both of us used to play wow together but can't live like teenagers anymore, but we both had a lot of fun in that game. After browsing steam for a while here's a list of games that look like what I'm thinking of.

Torchlight 2
Civilization 5
Don't starve together
Rust
Company of heroes 2
Team fortress 2
Warhammer Dawn of war 2
The forest
Chivalry

Any others to consider? My internet is not great so fps or twitch gameplay is discouraged, as is anything requiring good graphics. The main goal is to hang out and casually explore and conquer a world or campaign together, but no minecrafts either.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Olaf The Stout posted:

Looking to hang out with a friend online via a PC game. Both of us used to play wow together but can't live like teenagers anymore, but we both had a lot of fun in that game. After browsing steam for a while here's a list of games that look like what I'm thinking of.

Torchlight 2
Civilization 5
Don't starve together
Rust
Company of heroes 2
Team fortress 2
Warhammer Dawn of war 2
The forest
Chivalry

Any others to consider? My internet is not great so fps or twitch gameplay is discouraged, as is anything requiring good graphics. The main goal is to hang out and casually explore and conquer a world or campaign together, but no minecrafts either.

Divinity: Original Sin is a very good co-op RPG for two players. Magicka 1 and 2 also fit the bill. Regarding Civ V, Endless Legend is a superb turn-based strategy game in the same genre.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Anyone got any games for crappy laptops that they swear by? I'm on a trackpad so preferably stuff that is either slow or keyboard only, it can be anything at all.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Anyone got any games for crappy laptops that they swear by? I'm on a trackpad so preferably stuff that is either slow or keyboard only, it can be anything at all.

That's a seriously broad question. Almost any indie strategy game would fit (Paradox's for example), any roguelike (most are built with vi key commands in mind, which is perfect for laptops), and even absurdly addicting esoteric games like Cook, Serve, Delicious. If you're willing to add a controller, you've broadened the field even further.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Anything on GoG.com would probably run just fine, considering how old they are. If you like adventure games, the Wadjet Eye ones are all fantastic. Their latest title, Technobabylon, has a good 12-odd hours of content and a great cyberpunk story.

Also, why can't you drop $10-20 on a cheap wired mouse? Even one of the little travel ones?

And a general recommendation for the rest of you; If you like point-and-click adventure games, go try Technobabylon. It has a demo available and it's one of the best titles in recent years.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Grump posted:

The New Order? Does that not have an online mode?

Oh, I missed that you wanted online.

There's just not really any good console online shooters right now dude, sorry. Destiny is your best bet.

Turn-based stuff like Heroes of Might and Magic or Civilization or XCOM work fantastic on laptops that run a little slower and have trackpads.

The older HOMM games are even 2D, as are the old XCOM games. (I guess the older Civ games are too!)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Olaf The Stout posted:

Torchlight 2
Civilization 5
Don't starve together
Rust
Company of heroes 2
Team fortress 2
Warhammer Dawn of war 2
The forest
Chivalry

You've got torchlight 2 there so I'll suggest adding Diablo 3 and Path of Exile although Torchlight 2 is probably better than both of them.

You might like Factorio which will be released on steam "soon".

Edit: Take a look at Age of Wonders 3.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Torchlight 2
Civilization 5
Don't starve together
Rust
Company of heroes 2
Team fortress 2
Warhammer Dawn of war 2
The forest
Chivalry

Torchlight is a Diablo-like, but Diablo 3 itself might be a better option at this point. Torchlight is cool too though, but it feels pretty shallow in comparison.

I love Don't Starve Together, but it will only really be good for quick games and constantly restarting gets a bit old if you're really hoping to conquer a world.

The forest is fun as co-op, but it's pretty limited still. You'll really dig Rust, but it's heavily PvP based, so that might factor into your decision if you're not interested in joining up with a larger group to avoid your naked butt being ganked repeatedly and erasing every scrap of progress you make. A better option might be 7 Days to Die. You may have discounted it as a Minecraft-alike but if you want to build a fortress and scavenge for supplies it's fantastic multiplayer with lots of freedom to build cool poo poo, and plenty of challenge. A similar, but far more buggy game in the same style is Life is Feudal. It's pretty MMO-ish where you work toward building your own castle / village, but with private servers that crash all the time and have god awful bugs :v:

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Wow, thanks for the replies! Will definitely check out endless legend, 7 days to die, age of wonders 3, and divinity.

If I had Diablo 3 on the 360 and got bored halfway through the campaign is the PC version worth looking at?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Maleketh posted:

I've got an odd one: I'm looking for a fighting game that has AI vs. AI as a fight option. My friends and I like to sit around and occasionally make wagers on the fights, because we are dorks. A visually nice game would be ideal; having to play it to unlock stuff is fine as long as the gameplay is decent. A create-a-character feature would be good but isn't mandatory. For platforms, we've got a PC (a few years old; it can run all but the newest games reasonably well), a WiiU, and a PS4. I could probably also drag my 360 out of storage for a solid recommendation.

Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 allows for CPU matches and tournaments.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Olaf The Stout posted:

Wow, thanks for the replies! Will definitely check out endless legend, 7 days to die, age of wonders 3, and divinity.

If I had Diablo 3 on the 360 and got bored halfway through the campaign is the PC version worth looking at?

It's the exact same game, so no. IMO it's more fun on the console since there's less fatigue from using a controller instead of keyboard and mouse and playing together on the same couch is more like hanging out than chatting on teamspeak or skype.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Any recommendations for a good turn-based game? rpg/4x/tactical combat/roguelike or any combination of the above.

I'm waiting for the upcoming updates to Divinity:Original Sin and Wasteland 2 before I finish them, and am at a bit of a loss as to what to try next.

Stuff I have played and enjoyed:
Age of Wonders 3
Endless Legend
X-COM
Jagged Alliance 1.13
Baldur's Gate
Pillars of Eternity
TOME
DCSS

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any recommendations for a good turn-based game? rpg/4x/tactical combat/roguelike or any combination of the above.

I'm waiting for the upcoming updates to Divinity:Original Sin and Wasteland 2 before I finish them, and am at a bit of a loss as to what to try next.

Stuff I have played and enjoyed:
Age of Wonders 3
Endless Legend
X-COM
Jagged Alliance 1.13
Baldur's Gate
Pillars of Eternity
TOME
DCSS
Shadowrun Dragonfall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Shadowrun Dragonfall.

Well that was easy. I vaguely remember deciding to wait on Shadowrun after hearing it needed patching, and lo and behold, now there is even a director's cut of the expansion. Is Shadowrun Returns worth playing first or should I jump straight into Dragonfall?