Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
We'd never get to keep the loot, but heck, let's fight her anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Alright, it's time to kill us a gorgon!

First, though, you'll forgive me if I use the healing snuff, I want to be in top shape for this fight.

Healing snuff roll: 2 + 1 + 2 + 6 = 11 LIFE POINTS recovered, we're back to 30 near our max ot 32 so I think that's enough for the fight.

Section 136 posted:

What a brave decision! A little greedy, perhaps, but brave.

Now for the bad news. The Medusa has 100 LIFE POINTS. She can turn you to stone any time she gets two successful hits against you in a row. She needs to roll an 8 or better to hit. If you decide to use your Invisibility spell during this fight, she can still get you, but she will need to make THREE successful hits in a row. Good luck.

:stonk:

Well, I hope you're satisfied guys :shepicide:

Serious threat analysis: there's no way Medusa can kill us via LIFE POINT depletion, since she can do a maximum of 4 damage and we have 6 worth of protection. It's the petrification that's the real danger, though: two hits in a row and we're done.

Nothing to do but to get rolling. I'll be using magic too, since I seriously doubt we'd make it without.

Pip's initiative roll: 3 + 1 = 4
Medusa's initiative roll: 5 + 4 = 9

Medusa attacks! 4 + 1 = 5, missed.
Pip casts PiRsquared! 3 + 6 = 9, Pip is down to 27 LIFE POINTS but now will move twice as fast!
Medusa attacks! 1 + 1 = 2, another miss.
Pip casts Fireball! 1 + 4 = 5, the spell fizzles and Pip is down to 24 LIFE POINTS.
Pip casts Fireball again! 6 + 1 = 7, Pip is down to 21 LIFE POINTS but now we have two Fireballs of our own :getin:
Medusa attacks! 4 + 3 = 7, yet another miss.
Pip launches a Fireball! 1 + 2 = 3, a chest explodes in the background far behind Medusa.
Pip launches another Fireball! 3 + 5 = 8, Medusa is hit squarely in the chest for 75 LIFE POINTS and is down to 25!
Medusa attacks! 4 + 5 = 9, Pip is hit (first time)!
Pip casts a Firefinger lightning bolt! Medusa is thunderstruck for 10 LIFE POINTS and is down to 15.
Pip puts some distance between himself and Medusa and casts PAD! 3 + 3 = 6, the spell fizzles and Pip is down to 18 LIFE POINTS, but Medusa is too far away and skips a round!
Pip casts a Firefinger lightning bolt! Medusa is electrocuted for 10 LIFE POINTS and is down to 5.
Pip casts another Firefinger lightning bolt! Medusa is burnt to a crisp for 10 LIFE POINT and falls down dead.

:woop:

Honestly, we were quite a bit lucky with Medusa's dice rolls, since she only hit us the one time. I'm not complaining. We used up quite a bit of magic though.

Let's see what rewards await us in the treasure piles!

Section 136 posted:

If the Medusa kills you, go to 14.

If you kill the Medusa, you will find you can comfortably carry treasure worth 200,000 Gold Pieces.

There are two passages leading out of the cave. They go to 138 and 128. Take your pick.

I don't think there's a :signings: big enough for this.

Let's hope we don't lose it all by mistake. In fact, I'll use the magic snuff again just to be sure.

Magic snuff roll: 1 + 2 + 5 + 1 = 9, we're back up to 24/32 LIFE POINTS.

Onwards to 138!

Section 138 posted:

The passageway opens abruptly so that you find yourself standing on the rocky shore of a vast, underground lake. There is no road around these still, dark waters. But there is, at least, a rather battered, leaky rowboat tied up only a few metres away from you.

If you have previously discovered on this adventure that you can swim, you might like to try swimming the lake. (If you don't know whether you can swim, don't risk it.) To attempt to swim, go to 123.
If you want to risk that rowboat (although it does look very leaky) it will take you, via a corridor, to 102.

Here we're forced to take the boat, since we don't know if we can swim. (We find this out at the very beginning of the book, where we died the first time: if we hadn't fallen to our death, we would have ended up at the bottom of the ravine, where we would have had to roll to cross the river, and on a failed roll we would have had discovered we can't swim.)

This is a supreme dick move on the book's part, by the way, since it's forcing us to go through 102. What's in 102, you may ask? Well...

Section 102 posted:

The corridor takes you without mishap to a small, apparently empty cave. The exits are:

South to 108.
North-west to 99.
East to 112.

A flicker at the corner of your eye! You spin round, but there is nothing there. Another flicker. You turn again. Still nothing there. Something touches your left arm, chilling it to the bone. For the briefest instant you are staring into the glowing, ethereal eyes of a Wraith. Then the creature vanishes instantly.

A Wraith? Those things are deadly. And they can only be fought with spells: physical weapons do them no damage whatsoever. The Wraith is attacking you, Pip. That single touch cost you 10 LIFE POINTS! (If this kills you, go to 14.) You must use your spells! The Wraith has 25 LIFE POINTS. It will strike back successfully on a roll of 6 or better, scoring +3 damage at a touch.

If you kill the Wraith you may choose your exit.

If the Wraith kills you, go to 14.

...It forces us through a right bastard of a fight. Now we have 14 LIFE POINTS and we have to do battle.

Pip's initiative roll: 5 + 2 = 7
The Wraith's initiative roll: 2 + 1 = 3

Pip casts Firefinger lightning bolt! Wraith is down to 15 LIFE POINTS.
Wraith attacks! 5 + 3 = 8, Pip is hit for 2 + 3 - 6 = no LIFE POINTS.
Pip casts Firefinger lightning bolt! Wraith is down to 5 LIFE POINTS.
Wraith attacks! 5 + 5 = 10, Pip is hit for 4 + 3 - 6 = 1 LIFE POINT and is down to 13.
Pip casts PAD! 5 + 4 = 9, Pip is down to 10 LIFE POINTS but the Wraith is hit for 10 LIFE POINTS and dissipates.

If you'll excuse me, I'll use the snuff again. Gotta keep our strength up.

Magic snuff roll: 3 + 6 + 5 + 5 = 19 (!) LIFE POINTS, and we're back up to our max of 32.

Now, we've seen both 108 and 99, so let's go to 112.

Section 112 posted:

The passageway opens abruptly so that you find yourself standing on the rocky shore of a vast underground lake. There is no road around these still, dark waters. But there is, at least, a rather battered, leaky rowboat tied up only a few metres away from you.

If you have previously discovered on this adventure that you can swim, you might like to try swimming the lake. (If you don't know whether you can swim, don't risk it.) To attempt to swim, go to 123.

If you want to risk that rowboat (although it does look very leaky) go to 117.

Section 112, you may note, is exactly the same as 138, except for the Section it points us to when we pick the boat.

Let's start rowing and go to 117.

Section 117 posted:

You climb into the rowboat and fish out the oars from the scummy pool of water in the bottom, fit them into the rowlocks and pull away from shore. The dark water swallows up the light from your torch, which you have jammed at the prow, so that you seem to be rowing through an endless night. Water from the boat's many leaks is already lapping around your feet as you strive to cross the lake before this old tub sinks. Roll two dice to find out if you make it safely.

Score 2 - 4 and go to 124.
Score 5-12 and go to 132.

Roll: 3 + 6 = 9, lucky or unlucky?

Section 132 posted:

Glug ... glug ... glug ... glug

That's the sound of you drowning, Pip. Want to hear it again?

OK:

Glug ... glug ... glug ... glug

The reason you're drowning is that the boat has sunk. So what are you going to do now? Your P. A.N. I.C. spell (if you still have it and can work it) will cast a bubble around you with enough air to keep you alive long enough to get to 124.

Alternatively, there is a slim chance you may leam to swim terribly quickly (some people are fast learners when they have to be). Roll dice exactly as if you were rolling for your LIFE POINTS all over again. If your new score is better than your old, you may keep it as your new maximum and add swimming to your abilities.

Finally, you might just get lucky. Roll 11 or 12 on two dice and you've made it. (Use your Luckstone if you have one.)

Providing you can survive this mess by any of the three possible methods, go to 124.
If none of them worked, go to 14.

Unlucky! Let's take the easy way out and cast PANIC! Roll: 2 + 3 = 5, down to 29 LIFE POINTS and a fizzle! Let's try it again! Roll: 2 + 5 = 7, down to 26 LIFE POINTS but just made it. On to 124.

Section 124 posted:

You have strong arms, Pip. Or maybe just a lot of luck. Whichever way, you made it! You squelch off across the cavern floor to the entrance of an exit passageway to the east.

Enter the passageway and go to 130.

130, you may remember, is the Section where we found the treasure hoard. This means the book has had us going around in circles :argh:

I'll spare you the time to think about where to go: we have to backtrack to the Minotaur's den and pick a different direction. At first we had 114, 137 and 128 available, and we've fully explored all that can be reached from 128, so now we have to pick something else.

Do we go to 114 or to 137?

Since I'm a kind soul, I'll give you a warning:

:frogsiren: For maximum bullshit, one of those two is the way forward, the other leads to instant death, no saving throw. :frogsiren:

Choose wisely.

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: :siren: 26/32 :siren:
EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 3 :siren:
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4 or higher, +5 damage, +10 damage against dragons), dragonskin jacket (-4 damage), leather armour (-2 damage), dagger (+2 damage), food pack, backpack, waterbag, rope (15 metres), torch x12, healing potion x24 (heals two dice rolls), sack x6, climbing spike x12, roll of bandages (15 metres), tinderbox, container of oil, fish hook x12, carpentry hammer, blanket, horn, dragon cavern scroll (head to Section 101 to read it), horseshoe x1, tinglering x1, large key x1, bottle of SNAKE VENOM ANTIDOTE x1
MAGIC:
Pip's First Spellbook (costs 3 LIFE POINTS per spell, maximum 3 uses per spell, need roll 7 or higher on two dice or spell doesn't work, :siren: used: PANIC x2, PAD x2, PiRsquared x1, Fireball :siren:), The Wizard Ansalom's Globule Wand (roll 6 or higher on two dice, holds enemy for four rounds, five charges), :siren: Firefinger Lightning Bolt x5 :siren:, magical snuffbox (heals four dice's worth of LIFE POINTS, can be used only once per Section)
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
:siren: Gold and other valuables, worth 200,000 Gold Pieces (!!!) :siren:

Roll of the Dead posted:

Death the first: got dizzy while climbing down a chasm (worst possible time to discover a fear of heights...)
Death the second: slowly strangled and digested by creepers (who grows creepers indoors anyway?)
Death the third: ate from a poisoned banquet
Death the fourth: buried under a collapsed cottage
Death the fifth: buried under a cave-in

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Weeellll poo poo.

Let's go to 137.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Yeah, let's not go to the section with a 14 in the number. 137!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So what does a map of this place even look like at the moment? I mean i get we were going around in circles just now but i'm just curious as to how it's all laid out.

Regardless i have a good feeling about 137

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

idonotlikepeas posted:

Weeellll poo poo.

Let's go to 137.

Sure. What's the worst that could happen?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
I have a bad feeling about 137. Let's do it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Just caught up with the thread.

I am really wondering what would've happened if you'd decided to stay with the monks in the village.

Also, another mistake in the book. It speaks of the smell of burning sulfur and about a new smell: the unmistakable smell of methane.

Methane has no smell whatsoever. Most sources have some sulphuric component added to it, either naturally, or artificially to make it easier to detect leaks. So, I don't know what Pip smelled but it certainly wasn't methane.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So what does a map of this place even look like at the moment? I mean i get we were going around in circles just now but i'm just curious as to how it's all laid out.

It looks like this!

(Marvel at my terrible handwriting!)

Carbon dioxide posted:

Just caught up with the thread.

I am really wondering what would've happened if you'd decided to stay with the monks in the village.

Also, another mistake in the book. It speaks of the smell of burning sulfur and about a new smell: the unmistakable smell of methane.

Methane has no smell whatsoever. Most sources have some sulphuric component added to it, either naturally, or artificially to make it easier to detect leaks. So, I don't know what Pip smelled but it certainly wasn't methane.

It's dragon farts :ms:

You'll see what happens if we choose to stay with the monks in the post-book wrap up, just like you'll see what the death trap we had to avoid here looks like... Supposing we do manage to avoid it.

Everybody seems to be in agreement about 137!

You chose...

Section 137 posted:

This cavern is completely lined with metal! Floor, walls and ceiling! And the whole north wall is taken up with bank upon bank of truly massive machinery! This was never made by dragons! Or by anybody else in the time of King Arthur. If you weren't really a young person from the twentieth century occupying another body, you might be tempted to think it was magic. But you are a young person from the twentieth century, so you know perfectly well you are facing some strange sort of giant machine. But who made it? How did it get here? And what does it do? What a mystery.

...Well. Trap avoided, good job goons.

Section 137 posted:

What a puzzle. What a glorious opportunity to poke around a bit and get yourself into no end of trouble!

You might be sorely tempted to walk directly to that control panel on the north wall were it not for one small thing. The machinery is being tended by no less than a dozen hunchbacked Dwarves of evil countenance. Twelve of them, Pip! Could even an adventurer of your reputation and experience fight them all? The choice is yours.

You may use your Invisibility spell here to get away safely. (Although that means going back the way you came, since there are no other exits to this place.)

You may try to creep away quietly. If so, roll two dice. Score 2-8 and you made it without any of the Dwarves noticing. Score 9-12 and they spot you and hurl themselves upon you shrieking evilly, in which case you're stuck with a fight so go to 131.

You may hurl yourself upon the Dwarves and hope to hack them to pieces. If so, go to 131.

Nothing else to do but fight!

Section 131 posted:

Each nasty Dwarf has 10 LIFE POINTS. They are slow movers, so you can certainly have the first strike against some of them. Roll two dice to find out how many you can hit first. (If you manage a 12, it means you can take one bash at every one of them before any of them gets to strike you back.) When you have taken your first hit or hits, the Dwarves will strike you back in sequence. They aren't particularly good fighters and need 8 or better to hit. As against that, they are armed with swords which do +3 damage.

If the Dwarves kill you, go to 14. If you manage to kill ten of the Dwarves, the other two will run off in the direction of the Minotaur's cave, leaving you to do what you will in this cavern. Go to 134.

Roll: 6 + 5 = 11 :getin:

Pip attacks! 1 + 4 = 5, Dwarf 1 is hit for 1 + 5 = 6 LIFE POINTS, is down to 4 and falls down unconcious.
Pip attacks! 6 + 6 = 12, Dwarf 2 is hit for 8 + 5 = 13 LIFE POINTS and is chopped in half.
Pip attacks! 4 + 4 = 8, Dwarf 3 is hit for 4 + 5 = 9 LIFE POINTS and slumps to the ground with 1 LIFE POINT left.
Pip attacks! 5 + 1 = 6, Dwarf 4 is hit for 2 + 5 = 7 LIFE POINTS, is down to 3 and crumples to the floor.
Pip attacks! 6 + 2 = 8, Dwarf 5 is hit for 4 + 5 = 9 LIFE POINTS and joins his pals on the floor of the cave.
Pip attacks! 5 + 5 = 10, Dwarf 6 has a brief moment to contemplate how fleeting life is before being hit for 6 + 5 = 11 LIFE POINTS and being killed.
Pip attacks! 2 + 5 = 7, Dwarf 7 is hit for 3 + 5 = 8 LIFE POINTS and is knocked out.
Pip attacks! 4 + 2 = 6, Dwarf 8 is hit for 2 + 5 = 7 LIFE POINTS and blacks out from the pain.
Pip attacks! 6 + 5 = 11, Dwarf 9 is hit for 7 + 5 = 12 LIFE POINTS and hits the floor. A few seconds later his head hits the floor too.
Pip attacks! 5 + 4 = 9, Dwarf 10 is hit for 5 + 5 = 10 LIFE POINTS and is dead. Nothing spectacular, just dead.

Dwarf 11 and Dwarf 12 exchange a brief glance, then turn tail and run for dear life.

Now we're free to tinker with the machine.

Section 134 posted:

Picking your way carefully over the bodies of dead Dwarves, you reach the bank of controls on the north wall. Inlaid in the gleaming metal floor beneath your feet is a blue metal plate. You test it carefully, but it seems secure to stand on. Before you are three large levers, surmounted by a notice in red. The notice reads:

PLACE KEY IN SLOT
BEFORE ACTIVATING LEVERS.

Beside the notice is a slot big enough to take quite a large key. The levers are numbered 1, 2 and 3. You can see that each one may be pushed upwards or pulled downwards. Make your choice carefully when you decide what to do with these levers because they will obviously determine the course of the remainder of your adventure. Here are your various options:

If you have a key to place in the slot, then the following results will arise:

Push all three levers up and go to 139.
Push all levers down and go to 141.
Push one lever up and two dovm and go to 144.
Push two levers up and one down and go to 147.

If you do NOT have a key to put in the slot, then the following results will arise:

Push all three levers up and go to 142.
Push all levers down and go to 145.
Push one lever up and two down and go to 148.
Push two levers up and one down and go to 149.

Which way do we push the levers? (After inserting the key, of course. We could for extra hilarity not insert the key, but I honestly do not recommend it.)

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: 26/32
EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 4 :siren:
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4 or higher, +5 damage, +10 damage against dragons), dragonskin jacket (-4 damage), leather armour (-2 damage), dagger (+2 damage), food pack, backpack, waterbag, rope (15 metres), torch x12, healing potion x24 (heals two dice rolls), sack x6, climbing spike x12, roll of bandages (15 metres), tinderbox, container of oil, fish hook x12, carpentry hammer, blanket, horn, dragon cavern scroll (head to Section 101 to read it), horseshoe x1, tinglering x1, large key x1, bottle of SNAKE VENOM ANTIDOTE x1
MAGIC:
Pip's First Spellbook (costs 3 LIFE POINTS per spell, maximum 3 uses per spell, need roll 7 or higher on two dice or spell doesn't work, used: PANIC x2, PAD x2, PiRsquared x1, Fireball), The Wizard Ansalom's Globule Wand (roll 6 or higher on two dice, holds enemy for four rounds, five charges), magical snuffbox (heals four dice's worth of LIFE POINTS, can be used only once per Section)
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
Gold and other valuables, worth 200,000 Gold Pieces (!!!)

Roll of the Dead posted:

Death the first: got dizzy while climbing down a chasm (worst possible time to discover a fear of heights...)
Death the second: slowly strangled and digested by creepers (who grows creepers indoors anyway?)

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Okay, let's work this out logically...

Two dwarves have escaped. This is not by happenstance - the dwarves very deliberately turned tail and ran when they were down to the last two. Therefore, having two dwarves is somehow significant.

The dwarves are here to tend the machine. They must know how to operate it. Remaining able to do so is so important to them that it takes precedence over attacking the person who just murdered their ten brothers. Therefore, the minimum number of dwarves required to operate the machine is two.

Dwarves are short. A dwarf could probably pull a lever down easily enough, but a single dwarf is too short to push a lever up. However, two dwarves (one on the other's shoulders) have a notably higher reach. Therefore, it takes two dwarves to push a lever up.

We have precisely enough dwarves remaining that they could raise one of the levers.

Push one lever up and pull two levers down.

(I note also that the two surviving dwarves have run off towards where the key was stored, doubtless hoping to use the machine to get revenge on us. But we're too smart for them!)

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

inflatablefish posted:

Okay, let's work this out logically...

Wow. That's quite some tortured logic, there.

Still, it's better than anything I've got. ^vv it is.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Section 144 posted:

Go to 108.

108 Is the entrance to the Dragon Cavern; the up-down-down combination of levers apparently teleported us here.

Since there isn't anything else we can do, let's make our way back to the machine!

Section 134 posted:

PLACE KEY IN SLOT

Push one lever up and two down and go to 144.

If you do NOT have a key to put in the slot, then the following results will arise:

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: 26/32
EXPERIENCE POINTS: 4
INVENTORY:
MAGIC:
Pip's First Spellbook (costs 3 LIFE POINTS per spell, maximum 3 uses per spell, need roll 7 or higher on two dice or spell doesn't work, used: PANIC x2, PAD x2, PiRsquared x1, Fireball), The Wizard Ansalom's Globule Wand (roll 6 or higher on two dice, holds enemy for four rounds, five charges), magical snuffbox (heals four dice's worth of LIFE POINTS, can be used only once per Section)
MONEY AND VALUABLES:

Roll of the Dead posted:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Let's try two up, one down this time.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Let's try two up, one down this time.

Seems reasonable enough.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, teleporters. Watch out for flies, Pip!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'd say Push all three levers up and go to 139 ] because that's the only one without the Dreaded 14 in it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Up-up-down!

Section 147 posted:

There is a hum of machinery. A vibration thrills through your body. For a moment you feel dizzy, disoriented. A spiral of light emerges from the plate beneath your feet and coils around you. Your head spins. You feel dizzy . . .

Then blackness.

Go to 108.

Aaaaand we're back at the start of the cavern yet again.

Since we have two possible combinations left to try, I'll stop to smell the snuff again. Just a precaution.

Snuff roll: 4 + 1 + 2 + 5 = 12, we're back at our max of 32 LIFE POINTS.

Section 134 posted:

PLACE KEY IN SLOT

Push one lever up and two down and go to 144.

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: :siren: 32/32 :siren:
EXPERIENCE POINTS: 4
INVENTORY:
MAGIC:
MONEY AND VALUABLES:

Roll of the Dead posted:

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Comstar posted:

I'd say Push all three levers up and go to 139 because that's the only one without the Dreaded 14 in it.

Let's do this.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Section 139 posted:

There is a hum of machinery. A vibration thrills through your body. For a moment you feel dizzy, disoriented. A spiral of light emerges from the plate beneath your feet and coils around you. Your head spins. You feel dizzy ... Then blackness.

You are standing in an underground corridor of worked stone, well lit by torches placed at intervals in brackets on the walls. The metal-lined cavern has vanished. You are at a sort of three-quarter crossroads. Corridors run north-south and west, and they look equally dark and treacherous.

Not much to go on, but where do you go from here?

Go north and go to 151.
Go south and go to 154.
Go west and go to 141.

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: 32/32
EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 5 :siren:
INVENTORY:
MAGIC:
MONEY AND VALUABLES:

Roll of the Dead posted:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Let's go North.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
North. 151 is the only option without an implicit 14, and 139 worked for us at the machine...

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Let's go up! I mean North.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

One thing I want to point out: this part is significantly different in my print version of the book versus the electronic version I'm using for the LP. I'll point out the difference in the post-book commentary, but for now let's head north.

Section 151 posted:

You exit the chamber into a tunnel cut through solid rock, which has all the indications of a
natural fissure widened here and there to allow clear passage. One thing does occur to you quite strongly. Whatever that great machine was, whoever put it here, it has sent you to a different place . . . and there is no way back! Never mind, Pip: a brave adventurer can still go forward. Which is exactly what you do; until, quite suddenly, you reach another cavern.

You hesitate. This cave is very different from any you have seen before. It looks for all the world as if it had been formed from liquid rock, for the surfaces are smooth and the whole cave funnels downwards at a steep incline. You move forward cautiously, aware of the narrowing of the walls around you. Further and further you move, senses alert, as the funnel effect grows more and more pronounced. Oh, no! The funnel is blocked!

What now, Pip? The boulder blocking the only exit looks massive: far too large to move. You may have a try, of course (one try only), by rolling two dice.

Throw 10, 11 or 12 to move the obstacle by brute force.

If you fail in this throw, a Fireball will clear the way for you.

If you have no Fireballs left, or would prefer to save them, try using the wand you found. It will gently dissolve the boulder into mud . . . but at the fearful cost of 25 of your LIFE POINTS (which may kill you, of course, so count them first otherwise you'll end up in 14).

Once you manage to get past this obstacle, by whatever means, go to 153.

What wand? We didn't find any wands on our way here :confused:

It's another small mistake in the book, we could have found the wand, and it would have been alright if it'd said "have you got a wand, by chance? You can use it to clear the way".

Roll: 6 + 4 = 10, we manage to hulk out and move the boulder.

Section 153 posted:

A short passage, still descending, stops abruptly at the head of a flight of steps. They are crudely cut - very crudely cut - and worn smooth as if by the tread of many feet over aeons of time. But what feet have trod here? Not those of adventurers, surely, for only the strong, brave, intelligent adventurer could survive long enough to reach this spot: and such are rare. No, Pip, those steps have been worn smooth by some creature of the cave, some creature of darkness and evil intent.

Is that a sound you hear below? A gentle, sinister sound. A slither...

The creature sliding up the steps is green, a little more than two metres in length with blood-red eyes and a long, flicking tongue. A very long flicking tongue, bulbous at the end. Flick! That tongue snakes towards you like a whiplash. Roll two dice to discover if you are fast enough to avoid it.

Score 2-8 and you've managed to avoid it. Score 9-12 and the tongue wraps around you like flypaper, trapping your arms and drawing you reluctantly into that gaping maw. Take time to be digested, then go to 14.

Escaping the tongue doesn't mean you're out of the woods by any means. It simply gives you the opportunity to fight the Slither. The creature has no more than 20 LIFE POINTS but if it scores even a single hit, you are trapped and digested. The Slither strikes successfully on a roll of 8 or better.

If you are killed in the fight, go to 14.
If you kill the Slither (and very good riddance if you do) go to 154.

"Hey, you remember that bullshit snake fight from the first book? Here, have another one!" :smithicide:

Roll: 2 + 3 = 5, dodged the tongue.

Pip's initiative roll: 6 + 4 = 10.
Slither's initiative roll: 2 + 1 = 3.

Pip attacks! 6 + 5 = 11, Slither is hit for 7 + 5 = 11 LIFE POINTS and is down to 9.
Slither attacks! 6 + 1 = 7, just narrowly dodged.
Pip attacks! 4 + 5 = 9, Slither is hit for 5 + 5 = 10 LIFE POINTS and is killed.

Note how we could have gotten directly to Section 154 if we'd gone South from the chamber we teleported in...

Section 154 posted:

You stare about you in the evil-smelling and menacing darkness before you make your way carefully down the steps into a smallish chamber. Another chamber, Pip, definitely man-made, but very old and long-abandoned by all appearances. The rotted remnants of a door hang by the entrance. The ceiling is half hidden by spider webs. An exit to the north leads into another passage, slanting downwards. But between you and the exit are some items of considerable interest: a chest, well preserved despite its age, and a newish-looking scroll dropped near the exit tunnel.

If you wish to read the scroll first, go to 170.
If you wish to open the chest first, go to 156.

Pip's Stat Block posted:

EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 6 :siren:
INVENTORY:
MAGIC:
MONEY AND VALUABLES:

Roll of the Dead posted:

Mikl fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 31, 2015

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I'm probably going to get us killed here, but I'd like to suggest that we read the scroll first.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I'm probably going to get us killed here, but I'd like to suggest that we read the scroll first.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Jazzimus Prime posted:

The author prepared Explosive Runes this morning. Let's get it over with.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Wait, there's an electronic version? Where from?

Read the scroll.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Comstar posted:

Wait, there's an electronic version? Where from?

Read the scroll.

It's a PDF scan of the book. As far as I know there's no official electronic version (and I would be surprised if there was, since the books were published in the late '80s - early '90s). I use it for ease of copy-pasting the text into the LP and to avoid having to translate everything back into English, since the actual-book edition I own is the Italian edition (since I live in Italy).

Section 170 posted:

The scroll, which was plainly written very recently, reads:

'I, Ethelbert, monk and warrior, loyal subject of Arturus Rex, son of Uthur Pendragon and rightful Liege Lord of the Realm of Avalon, do hereby attest that by the grace of God and fleetness of foot, I have avoided the foul slithering creature which guards this accursed chamber and have, to my misfortune, explored the chest herein.

Be warned, you who may follow after me, that while the chest contains an artifact of inestimable value, it contains also death; and death in many forms. These I have discovered:

Within the hasp is a needle tipped with virulent poison.

Inlaid in the lid is a precious stone which, if pressed, will open the chest and place a curse upon the adventurer who touched it, causing the immediate loss of 30 LIFE POINTS.

Within the chest are webs, like unto spiders' webs - yet not natural webs, for these foul strands will hold firm any creature. Naught but a magic blade may cut them with impunity, else they may be burned through with magic fire.

Beneath the webs are creatures of the night, shadows no larger than the hand of a man, six in all, each so weak that a single blow might render its extinction, yet so strong that it can remove 15 LIFE POINTS in an instant.

Beneath these creatures is the treasure of the chest, a magical Orb which, so it is claimed, is the only means whereby an adventurer may survive in this foul cavern. But I for one do not believe this, trusting as I do in the grace of God. Thus have I left the Orb for those who follow after me.

This I aver.

Signed,
Ethelbert, monk and warrior.'

Now go to 156 to examine the chest.

Ethelbert, my man! I knew I could count on you!

Section 156 posted:

The chest is banded in brass, closed with a hasp. Inlaid on the lid is an ornamental and ornate design in gold leaf, surrounding a large carbuncle ruby. There seem to be several possible ways of opening the chest, Pip. You might, for example, simply flip back the hasp and try the lid. If so, go to 171.

You might, alternatively, consider that a chest of this type (which obviously holds something very important) must have a secret catch, probably triggered by the gemstone on the lid. If so, press the gem and go to 164.

Or you may by now be too impatient for these subtleties. If so, use any convenient sword or blunt instrument to smash the chest open and go to 169.

How do we open the chest, goons?

Pip's Stat Block posted:

EXPERIENCE POINTS: 6
INVENTORY:
MAGIC:
MONEY AND VALUABLES:

Roll of the Dead posted:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Can we still cast PIP (Pip's Immunity to Poison)? If so, do that before doing anything.

Then don't press the stone, and then cut the webs with EJ.

And then... maybe someone knows better than I do how to deal with the shadows?

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
well if we can be immune to poison, then we just open it that way.

Else, PIP SMASH.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

We can indeed cast PIP!

Roll: 4 + 3 = 7, just barely enough to make it, though we're down to 29 LIFE POINTS as a result.

Section 171 posted:

A needle springs from the hasp to penetrate your thumb, which begins to sting almost instantly then quickly flares into a flame of agony, spreading in a massive swelling along your arm. Pretty nasty, huh? That needle was obviously poisoned, Pip. If you were not protected against poison, roll two dice.

Score 2-4 and you're naturally immune. Return to 156 and try another (hopefully safer) method of opening the chest.

Score 5-12 and you're dead. Go to 14.

We're immune to poison so we can avoid this difficult roll, but we still have to figure out how to open the chest :arghfist::(

PIP SMASH then!

Section 169 posted:

It must have been many years since the chest was used - a tangled profusion of dusty spiders' webs makes it quite impossible to see inside. How do you tackle this one, Pip?

Brush them away with your hand ? Go to 161.
Cut them with EJ? Go to 158.
Risk using one of your other weapons on them? Go to 167.
Burn them away with a Fireball or similar spell? Go to 159.

We don't have any Fireballs or similar left, so we can't pick the last option. All others are available though.

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: :siren: 29/32 :siren:
EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 7 :siren:
INVENTORY:
MAGIC:
Pip's First Spellbook (costs 3 LIFE POINTS per spell, maximum 3 uses per spell, need roll 7 or higher on two dice or spell doesn't work, used: PANIC x2, PAD x2, PiRsquared x1, Fireball, :siren: PIP x1 :siren:), The Wizard Ansalom's Globule Wand (roll 6 or higher on two dice, holds enemy for four rounds, five charges), magical snuffbox (heals four dice's worth of LIFE POINTS, can be used only once per Section)
MONEY AND VALUABLES:

Roll of the Dead posted:

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Let's use EJ. Ol' Bert's advice hasn't let us down yet.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Section 158 posted:

That seems to have worked all right: the webs are cleared.

Go to 165.

Section 165 posted:

Oh, oh. There are small black Shapes flitting from the chest, Pip. Just little things, about the size of a man's hand; maybe even a bit smaller. Six of them, flapping up out of the chest like bats or butterflies. Except they aren't bats or butterflies, Pip. Or birds or moths or anything like that. They aren't even solid! They just look like . . . well, like shadows. They're probably nothing, Pip. Probably not dangerous. They're probably nothing at all to worry about. All the same, they're flitting towards you.

If you decide to attack the Shapes, go to 157.
If you decide to wait and see if the Shapes are friendly, go to 168.

Maybe Ethelbert was wrong, and the Shapes are friendly. Wouldn't that be nice?

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: 29/32
EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 8 :siren:
INVENTORY:
MAGIC:
Pip's First Spellbook (costs 3 LIFE POINTS per spell, maximum 3 uses per spell, need roll 7 or higher on two dice or spell doesn't work, used: PANIC x2, PAD x2, PiRsquared x1, Fireball, :siren: PIP x1 :siren:), The Wizard Ansalom's Globule Wand (roll 6 or higher on two dice, holds enemy for four rounds, five charges), magical snuffbox (heals four dice's worth of LIFE POINTS, can be used only once per Section)
MONEY AND VALUABLES:

Roll of the Dead posted:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Haha no kill the fuckers.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Ethelbert hasn't steered us wrong yet. Since we can't take two hits from these things anyway, first cast PiRsquared so we have a better chance of killing them all before they get us.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

If we have time to use the snuffbox or quaff a healing potion before killing them, let's do that too.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good old Bert. Always ready with a wise word in a dark place.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'd love to do a Lets Play 2 team version of Duel Master 2 - Blood Valley, but I don't want to type out an entire book to do it, and there dosn't seem to be any scanned versions I can find.

You decide to attack the Shapes, go to 157.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Shadows, eh? We should cast PANIC first, for the light-shield thing, and then attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Section 169 posted:

It must have been many years since the chest was used - a tangled profusion of dusty spiders' webs makes it quite impossible to see inside. How do you tackle this one, Pip?

Brush them away with your hand ? Go to 161.
Cut them with EJ? Go to 158.
Risk using one of your other weapons on them? Go to 167.
Burn them away with a Fireball or similar spell? Go to 159.
In my copy of the book, 158 and 167 were switched in this section. Spoilers: 167 is bad times, especially if it applies to EJ.

• Locked thread