Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
My first LP was from this guy named [url=https://www.youtube.com/user/gnrfan5000/playlists]GNRFan5000[url]. From what I remember it wasn't bad, but I don't think I'll rewatch his stuff. Better to keep nostalgia nostalgic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The LP subforum is actually what got me onto SA in the first place beyond casually glancing at it when I was reading front page stuff for years. I liked a lot of screen shot ones, and this is one of the few places that do them. Though I didn't read Dangan Ronpa, it's responsible for my :10bux: because I got tired of the paywall going up when like, I'd want to read the thread for anything and being restricted to maybe hoping I would remember the youtube account of some LPers. I decided screw it, I'm a grown man, I can spend that.

syriquez
Apr 7, 2011

Woosh
Ran across a freshly-uploaded Heart of Darkness video (2nd or 3rd episode) by Squint back in 2007. I don't know how but I actually found the videos on Google's old streaming service prior to the YouTube buyout which linked me back to SA. I had watched the occasional video on Ancient YouTube prior to that, never really bothering to source back the material, though.

The paywall coming up in the middle of Haller's Infamous LP made me fork out the cash for an account.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ohh yeahhh speaking of Google Video, B00n's Half-Life 2 LP was actually my very first SA LP after hopping from UltraJMan to SA. Then Kaizo Mario. Oh how time has passed :unsmith:

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"

Doc Morbid posted:

Same here. :eng99:

I discovered the LP Archive soon after that, although I mostly read SSLPs on there until... I think it was pokecapn's Sonic 06 or Voidburger's Silent Hill Origins that got me into watching VLPs.
I also fell victim to UltraJMan's trap of his IWBTG LP introducing me to LP, and I'm even willing to go so far as to say that he and Cloud8745 are to blame for that whole effin' IWBTG LP bandwagon (that I was also stupid enough to jump on).

Of course, then again, I'm willing to also bet that PDP and Markiplier are just the new age UltraJMan/Cloud8745, producing a new wave of terrible LPers that are jumping on the Slender/FNAF bandwagon. LP never changes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SnakemanMn posted:

(that I was also stupid enough to jump on).

I thought your name was familiar.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I believe it was either an LP of Paper Mario by Chuggaconroy or the Kaizo Mario videos, so around 2008-ish. I think took about 2 years or so for me to notice the LPs on SA, although I remember reading through some screenshot LPs on the archive before joining.

Roaper
Mar 23, 2012

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Waffleman_ posted:

I thought your name was familiar.

Of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsPlgVgCRSo

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
There's only one way to go from the top.
The first LP-like entity I remember seeing was this video about the development of the original Halo. It's really more like developer commentary since everybody actually worked on the game, but they basically just poo poo around on the mic for 13 minutes and it's still pretty hilarious even today.

The first proper LPs I read were all screenshot LPs, but after a while, I discovered Retsupurae and thought it was funny. Once I ran out of slowbeef's videos, I started watching Chip and Ironicus' restupuraes. And then I realized they were doing a Lego Star Wars LP and started watching that, along with the rest of their content. I joined SA shortly after that and the rest is history.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Klaus88 posted:

:frogout:

:thejoke:

I can't remember my first lets play, but my first good lets play was probably Vexation's VLP of Blood.

Like I said, I was a shameful teenager.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
Frankomatic was the first LPer I ever saw and I remember hearing he used to post here. We follow each other on Twitter too, he's a really great guy.

Captain Sheepy fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 24, 2015

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

For me it when when I was reading NGamer UK, they had an article about Kaizo Mario World. I looked online and found the video of Psychedelic Eyeball doing the Yellow Switch Palace with no savestates, and was really impressed.

Roaper
Mar 23, 2012

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
How do people here feel about JonTron. I don't know if what he does really counts as 'Let's Play' but I certainly find him entertaining.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
https://twitter.com/Jumbso/status/509574580143276032

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like Jon but any time he tries to argue about anything on the old Game Grumps episodes I just skip ahead five minutes. He's good at presenting an argument but not directly articulating on the spot, which is the entirety of Game Grumps because they do live commentary.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

He has become infamous for reacting badly to being asked to stop using "retard" in his videos.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Roaper posted:

How do people here feel about JonTron. I don't know if what he does really counts as 'Let's Play' but I certainly find him entertaining.

Funny story. I took the Amtrak to PAX East this year and went in the last car. In walks JonTron, Shane (a streamer from Twitch), Jimmy Whetzel, and this guy Josh (ReallyFreakinClever).

After an internal bout of "This is gonna be really hard to explain if it's not JonTron", I said hi and was sort of surprised that he'd heard of me. Really a super nice dude in person. People came back to the car to get autographs and pictures. At one point, the loving conductor came back, said he was a fan and would be honored if JonTron "pushed the button." I don't know if it started the train or sounded the horn or what, but yeah.

Anyway, JonTron spent most of his time talking to an elderly gentleman sitting next to him; but not like about video games and such, just regular talk. I asked him if he wanted to grab a drink as we dismebarked, we exchanged numbers and ended up having sex.

Okay, well, not the last part. I happened to run into him at a bar Friday night with Matt and Woolie of SBFZ, along with Smooth McGroove and we ended up going back to his hotel. THEN we had se- er, anyway, we had like an after-party thing. Fucker had a suite at the W.

So after that whole experience, I'll admit I have a pretty positive impression of the guy. He was more down to earth than you'd think despite the success, etc...

paradoxGentleman posted:

He has become infamous for reacting badly to being asked to stop using "retard" in his videos.

And there's this.

TotalBiscuit came to his aid when this started turning into a big deal and contended that "retarded" could also mean retrograde and that JonTron's comment (about how he didn't like Playstation Now) was accurate. I have to admit, I thought this was a pretty weird defense since I think it was pretty clear he meant it in the schoolyard sense, and even so, the JonTron brand does not live or die on technology reviews via Tweet, so it'd just be easier to back off the whole thing.

It's one of those situations where JonTron would've been better off just letting it go if nothing else. But I think he was getting fed up with being told things were offensive, etc. and if someone tells you stuff like that 100 times, maybe the 100th time, you don't handle it so well. But that's the time everyone remembers.

As I understood it, he eventually did back off of this on a later Co-Optional Podcast but people took it upon themselves to create the ridiculous #IStandWithJonTron (which he wanted nothing to do with), and when that sort of fizzled, well, we got another hashtag in its place.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I think the first LP I watched was either Dead to Rights or Tipping Forties doing FFX.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

JonTron seems okay, except for that whole retarded thing, or that little twitter spat with Tim Schafer (but who doesn't have some dumb argument on twitter).

Totally can't stand his videos myself by they're miles better then a lot of crap out there.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dislike the whole "let's shout for no real reason just because we can" gimmick.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 26, 2015

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Unfunny Poster posted:

I dislike the whole "let's shout for no real reason just because we can" gimmick.

Well the target audience likes it, so more power to 'em.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dreezy posted:

Well the target audience likes it, so more power to 'em.

Oh I have no doubt his fans like it, and like you said more power to him. I just think it's not entertaining in the slightest.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Unfunny Poster posted:

Jon is like the one person I'm okay with watching despite him doing that, because having watched some of his twitch streams with Shane, he really is like that in real life (especially when he has had alcohol). He's just a super excitable person, it's not some character he's putting on for views or whatever. If it was faked then yeah I would be annoyed by it but personally I don't think it's hypocritical or anything to like him and not other generic yelling Youtube videogame people.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I want to like bisnap but the dude seriously needs to cut his videos.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Jon is like the one person I'm okay with watching despite him doing that, because having watched some of his twitch streams with Shane, he really is like that in real life (especially when he has had alcohol). He's just a super excitable person, it's not some character he's putting on for views or whatever. If it was faked then yeah I would be annoyed by it but personally I don't think it's hypocritical or anything to like him and not other generic yelling Youtube videogame people.

He's actually good at ham though, like he's playing to the strengths of his acting background. I don't mind the style if there's talent behind it. He's also one of the first, so unfortunately that makes him a setter of awful trends.

Here's an example of someone very obviously and unsuccessfully aping his style:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX0evdePzww

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

watho posted:

I want to like bisnap but the dude seriously needs to cut his videos.

I'd say that's more of a force of habit from his other videos. He does a lot of games where you go from start to finish in a run and you can't really edit those.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Twitch updated its Rules of Conduct and "banned games" list to more or less nip the Hatred thing in the bud, but also say that any game rated as Adults Only by the ESRB isn't permitted on Twitch (M rated versions of a game, eg. Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy are fine but the AO "Director's Cut" isn't).

http://blog.twitch.tv/2015/05/rules-of-conduct-update-adult-oriented-games/

As usual, people are losing their god drat minds over Twitch saying "nah, we don't want this sorta stuff on our platform"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Kudos to Twitch for that. I am still disappointed in Steam for not sticking to its guns and rejecting that poo poo.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Unfunny Poster posted:

As usual, people are losing their god drat minds over Twitch saying "nah, we don't want this sorta stuff on our platform"

I mean, it's a cynically transparent rules rewrite specifically to ban out one particular game (with like two others that nobody cares about anymore getting caught in the crossfire) that probably annoyed someone who works there's ideals. That strikes me as kind of iffy on general principle but Hatred doesn't seem like the kind of game I'm willing to go to bat for over this.

like I don't think finding that move dodgy is unreasonable but it's not the hill I want to die on, put it that way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's not really a rewrite though, when you consider how it used to be. AO games have always been banned on Twitch, but previously it was on a by-game basis instead of an umbrella that encompasses all of them. So really the rule hasn't changed, per se, just been reworded.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I still remember screenshots of a mod trying to ban a guy streaming MGS4 because of the "No movies allowed" rule.

Also the Twitch mods keep citing Polygon as a source for some reason, practically shooting themselves in the foot.

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014

Roaper posted:

At the cost of changing the subject. Does anyone remember the first LP they ever saw and have you seen it again. I just recently found the first LP I saw way back in 2008 and haven't brought myself to watch it again. But if there is anything to judge by the creator's page banner, it's probably awful. But even if it is bad at least if he's having fun then it all works out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kVqNU5J9z8

I remember how I found out about LPs and how I eventually stumbled into this subforum pretty clearly. Way back at the end of 2007 someone I know online posted a link to Deceased Crab's Merry Gear Solid LP, but it wasn't until the same person linked his Peasant's Quest one the better part of a year later that I realized Let's Play was this thing he did regularly. After DC stopped posting videos regularly in early '09 I looked into a few of the channels that were frequently mentioned in the comments of DC's videos. Among those was UltraJMan, who had just posted a video apologizing for participating in this thing called the Shildkrote Foundation. After watching a few of the Foundation's videos out of curiosity I saw a recommendation for a video titled "Super Bummerman 2" by Retsupurae. That's still one of the most hilarious RPs, but man, that first time when you don't know that part about Muscle Bomber's favorite "Amy's" is coming... Anyway, I eventually learned there was an thread about RPs somewhere and I managed to catch the original two "Let's Play with YouTube!" threads before they got archived.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Twitch updated its Rules of Conduct and "banned games" list to more or less nip the Hatred thing in the bud, but also say that any game rated as Adults Only by the ESRB isn't permitted on Twitch (M rated versions of a game, eg. Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy are fine but the AO "Director's Cut" isn't).

http://blog.twitch.tv/2015/05/rules-of-conduct-update-adult-oriented-games/

poo poo, now where will I stream my Mario ROM hacks where Mario is replaced by a giant dong?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I was going to joke, but Reddit actually IS already claiming the SJWs did this and that twitch hates freedom of speech.

A particular post I liked:

"I don't understand why it's okay when the polygons you shoot are "Nazis", but when it's "civilians" there's a big deal about it."

:shepface:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well I mean the game is developed by nazis so I guess it makes sense that they would want to turn the tables every once in a while

edit: Sorry, NEO-nazis. Last time I said nazis someone :goonsay:-ed me on it as if I give a drat

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Danaru posted:

I was going to joke, but Reddit actually IS already claiming the SJWs did this and that twitch hates freedom of speech.

A particular post I liked:

"I don't understand why it's okay when the polygons you shoot are "Nazis", but when it's "civilians" there's a big deal about it."

:shepface:

The more dumb poo poo that comes out of Reddit, the more I want to make a Reddit.txt thread in PYF.

Problem is that I'm scared I'll make a bad OP. :ohdear:

quote:

Ask me about how I don't understand massacres, serial murders and war crimes! :shepface:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
How the hell do you end up with Polish nazis? That seems like an oxymoron.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HGH posted:

How the hell do you end up with Polish nazis? That seems like an oxymoron.

The only criteria to join is being white and hating jews/communism. Same reason you have British Nazis or French Nazis.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The Russian Neonazis are a pretty big club as well :v:

On the topic of people who don't edit their videos into a decent-sized chunk:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Totalgamefreak

He's great background noise while playing other games - never annoying, doesn't scream, perpetually amusing but holy poo poo, that viewer to video ratio is hosed up.

Azran fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The only criteria to join is being white and hating jews/communism. Same reason you have British Nazis or French Nazis.

The nazis were obsessively concerned with lineages though, so not all whites were okay with them. Anglo-Saxons and Normans are Germanic, and thus superior. The same can't be said for Slavs (or, presumably, Celts, which makes French nazis a little strange too), which were decidedly un-Germanic and thus inferior. Oddly, they considered some Slavs to "actually" be Germanic tribes and thus okay. It's... no one's ever accused nazi racial ideology of being anything but hosed up, but you kind of have to wonder sometimes. Also, for some reason, Tibetans were considered awesome because they believed Tibet was founded by Aryans.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 28, 2015

• Locked thread