Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

video games as power fantasies is great because you can immediately tell who would be a tyrannical fascist if you gave them an ounce of authority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Hog Inspector posted:

video games as power fantasies is great because you can immediately tell who would be a tyrannical fascist if you gave them an ounce of authority

woah woah woah not true at all

Being a Tyrannical fascist is required to plat a game sometimes, you really don't have a choice.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
is there a specific phrase for encouraging people to try achieving platinum on a game, like "tap dat plat" or "plat dat" or "hittin plat"

if not I'd like to submit any of the above for consideration

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"you shat if you ain't plat" could also work

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
"gat mad plats" obviously

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

CJacobs posted:

And to be honest he kinda deserved it for saying slavery is good and a fantsay video game like The Witcher provides an example of good slavery like a goddamn moron

edit: Also, the writer did not go on "A rant" about how goons are neocons and the worst liberals (the latter of which is totally true), it was two one-line posts in response to people saying the guy who said slavery and mass murder for the greater good is good was not wrong

His responses about how goons are facist were to people other than the slavery lover. People who were saying that slavery isn't as bad as genocide.

He also used a pedophile metaphor even though he seems to support the country whose king wanted to marry an 8 year old.

Another poster said marrying an 8 year old isn't that weird in medieval times.

Like I said, the rabbit hole is deeper than a looney that thinks slavery is ok.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
It's hard to tell if Namco was being sarcastic or ironic or something when they added fat loser Bad Art Megaman to SFxT. I suspect that game may have been the director flipping off Namco altogether

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
If I wanted to play a game where I can shoot bad guys online on my PS4, what game would I get?

I was thinking either Battlefield 4 or Hardline, but I hear those games have awful online support and lovely netcode.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
My opinion on DK64 has been somewhat soured by 101% and Beaver Bother, but I'm pretty sure that by the end of this I am still going to loving love the poo poo out of Banjo-Tooie

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I think DK64 was the last time I ever 100% (or %101 WHO CARES) a game, in whatever year DK64 came out

I still look back fondly on the boss battles :allears:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
The boss battles in DK64 are seriously one of the best parts of that game, they are really loving cool.

I still wish they didn't repeat Beaver Bother twice in one world, or even have the second instance of Beaver Bother at all, because goddammit.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 28, 2015

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

is beaver bother the one where you play an alligator herding beavers into a tiny hole, because if so I remember spending so long playing and replaying a round of that in some kind of floating horror castle level that I approached some kind of zen state and it's still kind of burned into my brain

same with trying to beat Archives on 00 Agent in Goldeneye in whatever absurdly low time limit they give you to unlock the invisibility cheat

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Goldeneye 007 Water Caverns on 00 Agent, Perfect Dark Area 51 Rescue and WAR! on Perfect Agent and Beaver Bother are the hardest things Rare has put out since Battletoads.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Excels posted:

It's hard to tell if Namco was being sarcastic or ironic or something when they added fat loser Bad Art Megaman to SFxT. I suspect that game may have been the director flipping off Namco altogether
You aren't a true Megaman fan unless you love Bad Boxart Megaman. He even got his own game mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PYhKSXBQjY

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My favorite bad Mega Man box art is Mega Man 2.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Beaver Bother is not hard, I just got done running through DK64 on the VC and I got all of 'em first try. You just have to treat it like chasing food down a sink drain with a water spray.

The harder difficulties of Goldeneye can gently caress right off though

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Colonel posted:

I just beat King K. Rool. Think I'm done 101% replaying DK64 for the rest of my life

Congratulations, my DK brother.

The problem with Beaver Bother is that you have to play it TWICE in creepy castle, as two bananas are Beaver Bother mini-games, if I recall correctly, and I probably do, because I only finished it last month

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Great Joe posted:

You aren't a true Megaman fan unless you love Bad Boxart Megaman. He even got his own game mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PYhKSXBQjY

i remember someone did this at an actual tourney to time out the opponent and it was considered legal.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Excels posted:

i remember someone did this at an actual tourney to time out the opponent and it was considered legal.

http://youtu.be/WAJUelWRWBs

?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

What's even better is that the guy who created Vanilla Diablo 3 is running World of Warcraft now.

As in the Vanilla Diablo 3 with only the campaign to play, had the real money auction house, and every time a player found an easy way to get a legendary they destroyed the area from being able to be farmed within hours. He wanted a bare minimum of 35 hours on average to farm just to get a single legendary item. Oh and also everything 1 or 2 shot you especially in act 2.

His whole mentality is that you have to work to have fun while playing a videogame.

Jay Wilson is the producer for World of Warcraft, but he was the lead designer for Diablo III. He is awful, and before Diablo III he only had at most senior programming duties on some smaller games, he never led a team before, especially not one as massive as a Blizzard title and a sequel at that. He doesn't have the experience and considering the state Diablo III was left in when he was kicked off the team, I doubt he learned anything.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
From what I have seen, the developers kicked off of Titan went back to Wow, possibly since BC. Seems like internal fighting, when the last message was "grinding is good" when asked about catchup mechanics. Everything is funneled into the worst ideas possible for someone to progress, hell the best was with Cata, at least they let you catchup.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

i miss coverdisks

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
enough with the viral marketing evangelicals

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
https://groupees.com/vn1
The only one of these I've played is Demonbane. Demonbane is pretty much Textbook VN Problem as it's got a cool, fun concept (Hey, what if the Cthulu Mythos was a Super Robot anime?) and then proceeds to absolutely ruin it with lovely otaku pandering and poorly written sex scenes shoehorned in.
I have rarely been so drastically turned around on a thing from "gently caress YEAH" to "gently caress THIS" than I have with Demonbane.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

KaosMachina posted:

ruin it with lovely otaku pandering and poorly written sex scenes shoehorned in.

That's pretty much all VNs, unfortunately. Thankfully most of them let you turn the sex scenes off but no amount of options menu toggling can fix the former.

edit: Lol that bottom one though

:wtc:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 28, 2015

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Obscene Medical Records of a Married Nurse. It just rolls off the tongue.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

CJacobs posted:

Thankfully most of them let you turn the sex scenes off but no amount of options menu toggling can fix the former.

And I could live with the pandering "I look prepubescent but I'm actually thousands of years old!" horseshit if it was one of those games that had that option, but it is not. SIGH.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Nasgate posted:

His responses about how goons are facist were to people other than the slavery lover. People who were saying that slavery isn't as bad as genocide.

He also used a pedophile metaphor even though he seems to support the country whose king wanted to marry an 8 year old.

Another poster said marrying an 8 year old isn't that weird in medieval times.

Like I said, the rabbit hole is deeper than a looney that thinks slavery is ok.

goons are fascist I don't see the problem here

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Grump posted:

If I wanted to play a game where I can shoot bad guys online on my PS4, what game would I get?

I was thinking either Battlefield 4 or Hardline, but I hear those games have awful online support and lovely netcode.

call of duty aw or destiny

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Broseph Brostar posted:

They're talking when Inferno was a difficulty, where those and every other enemy were damage sponges and you had to kite everything around in a huge area while slowly whittling everything down. Also they nerfed those insects to make the projectiles a lot slower, it used to be bullet hell with them.

yeah I played at release they were never an issue unless you were trash im sorry

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I seem to remember the problem with the game at launch was that it was long and boring and mashy like all Diablo games with the added benefit of being more grindy and having a cheesy set of characters I was supposed to care about. Not some bugs that shot lightning or something.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
also worse way worse music than Diablo 2

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

bloodychill posted:

also worse way worse music than Diablo 2

Yup

http://youtu.be/fDtWBTwIL8Y

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I like Mario Kart 64 more than Diddy Kong Racing.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

The Colonel posted:

I like Mario Kart 64 more than Diddy Kong Racing.

i like MK64 better than MK8. It's at least eight times better.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Vita is my favorite system to play Female Anime Face and/or Chest on

KaosMachina posted:

https://groupees.com/vn1
The only one of these I've played is Demonbane. Demonbane is pretty much Textbook VN Problem as it's got a cool, fun concept (Hey, what if the Cthulu Mythos was a Super Robot anime?) and then proceeds to absolutely ruin it with lovely otaku pandering and poorly written sex scenes shoehorned in.
I have rarely been so drastically turned around on a thing from "gently caress YEAH" to "gently caress THIS" than I have with Demonbane.
"Darkness hangs over Arkham City. Arkham’s protector, the young Hadou Ruri, is the only shield keeping the forces of the evil Black Lodge at bay. Amateur detective and former magic student Daijuuji Kurou wants nothing to do with the turmoil, but when Ruri herself shows up on his doorstep with an offer he can’t refuse, Kurou is sucked back into the world of supernatural intrigue that he swore to leave behind.

His task: to find the key that will unlock the power of the giant robot Demonbane, the city’s last hope. your choices will decide the fate of Kurou as he unravels the mystery behind Demonbane, gaining friends, foes, and lovers along the way. Can you harness the power of the dread Necronomicon and save Arkham from the madness threatening to consume it?"

Man the Batman Arkham games are getting really weird. I mean first the batmobile, now a giant robot...

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 29, 2015

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

There is a Demonbane who exists in every conceivable universe, and they can be called on to help anytime. demonbane has no weakness because there exists a demonbane that counters whatever his weakness is, in another universe.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Do the Demonbanes fight each other for Demonbane supremacy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Level Slide posted:

Do the Demonbanes fight each other for Demonbane supremacy?

There's an annual convention and a lot of contests and you'd think that would be fun and interesting but it's mostly filling out a lot of forms, waiting for points and votes to be tallied, and bureaucratic nonsense. By the end, no one even cares who is best Demonbane.

• Locked thread