Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The Rings of Akhaten

Not a well-regarded episode, and the voting bears this out. Maybe next time they'll just go for a full-on musical episode of Doctor Who. I bet Smith could have CRUSHED that.

A

BeefyTaco
BSam
Colonel Cool
Dave Brookshaw
ewe2
fatherboxx
Gandalf21
jng2058
Lipset and Rock On
onetruepurple
Organza Quiz
Random Stranger
Regy Rusty
Rochallor
Well Manicured Man

B

Angela Christine
Bicyclops
Blasmeister
Capfalcon
DoctorWhat
MikeJF
Mo0
Paul.Power
Senerio
Sinestro

C

adhuin
Ali Aces
And More
Jsor
Labratio
Ohtsam
Xenoborg

D

Stumiester

F

Attitude Indicator
cargohills
Grouchio
LabyaMynora

Overall Average Guess: C+. Tied for second-worst so far with Power of Three, and we had at least one person guess every grade this time around.

Current rankings:

Labratio: 5
And More: 7
Grouchio: 8
Paul.Power: 8
Xenoborg: 8
Ali Aces: 9
DoctorWhat: 9
LabyaMynora: 9
Ohtsam: 9
Angela Christine: 10
Bicyclops: 10
Capfalcon: 10
Dave Brookshaw: 10
ewe2: 10
Mo0: 10
Senerio: 10
Well Manicured Man: 10
adhuin: 11
Blasmeister: 11
Colonel Cool: 11
Jsor: 11
Rochallor: 11
Attitude Indicator: 12
jng2058: 12
MikeJF: 12
Sinestro: 12
Stumiester: 12
BeefyTaco: 13
fatherboxx: 13
Lipset and Rock On: 13
Organza Quiz: 13
BSam: 14
Gandalf21: 14
onetruepurple: 14
Random Stranger: 16
Regy Rusty: 16
cargohills: 17

Labratio retains the lead with a spot-on guess for this episode. And More sneaking back up the ranks a bit here, and everyone else just falling further behind. The top ranks are still all within one episode of bad guessing, though, so still plenty of time this season for the lead to change.

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I like that they got the actor who played Davos to more or less play the same character, but as Sean Connery a British Russian sub commander.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Forgot this episode existed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This was such a waste of David Warner. I thought it was an okay episode, not quite as good as I would have liked but not particularly bad outside of a couple of really bizarre choices (why the gently caress did that dude decide to melt the ice cube early?) but the thin part David Warner gets is unforgivable.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Toxxupation posted:

i was originally going to give it a B and while rewatching it for the review i found the first act so interminably overlong I could barely stomach it

it's a really bad first act

*smoke bombs away*

"I've seen longer first acts."
"Really?"
"Are you joking? It's massive."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

i was originally going to give it a B and while rewatching it for the review i found the first act so interminably overlong I could barely stomach it

it's a really bad first act

*smoke bombs away*

I don't remember much of it, so you're probably right. I know there's a market in which Clara gets lost and I don't recall much of the story in which she's on her own following the child.

Cold War has David Warner in it, and some bad CGI, and maintains Clara problems, but I think is otherwise pretty decent? I can't believe how much of this season I forget!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

Not a well-regarded episode, and the voting bears this out.

The vast majority voted A or B.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Diabolik900 posted:

Right? I was about to say.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

At least It has Davos still being the best captain ever and Edmure still loving everything up.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i'm watching black mirror

how the gently caress has charlie brooker not written for doctor who

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

idonotlikepeas posted:

The Rings of Akhaten

Not a well-regarded episode, and the voting bears this out. Maybe next time they'll just go for a full-on musical episode of Doctor Who. I bet Smith could have CRUSHED that.

A

BeefyTaco
BSam
Colonel Cool
Dave Brookshaw
ewe2
fatherboxx
Gandalf21
jng2058
Lipset and Rock On
onetruepurple
Organza Quiz
Random Stranger
Regy Rusty
Rochallor
Well Manicured Man

B

Angela Christine
Bicyclops
Blasmeister
Capfalcon
DoctorWhat
MikeJF
Mo0
Paul.Power
Senerio
Sinestro

C

adhuin
Ali Aces
And More
Jsor
Labratio
Ohtsam
Stumiester
Xenoborg

D

Stumiester

F

Attitude Indicator
cargohills
Grouchio
LabyaMynora

Overall Average Guess: C. Tied for second-worst so far with Power of Three, and we had at least one person guess every grade this time around.

Current rankings:

Labratio: 5
And More: 7
Grouchio: 8
Paul.Power: 8
Xenoborg: 8
Ali Aces: 9
DoctorWhat: 9
LabyaMynora: 9
Ohtsam: 9
Angela Christine: 10
Bicyclops: 10
Capfalcon: 10
Dave Brookshaw: 10
ewe2: 10
Mo0: 10
Senerio: 10
Well Manicured Man: 10
adhuin: 11
Blasmeister: 11
Colonel Cool: 11
Jsor: 11
Rochallor: 11
Attitude Indicator: 12
jng2058: 12
MikeJF: 12
Sinestro: 12
Stumiester: 12
BeefyTaco: 13
fatherboxx: 13
Lipset and Rock On: 13
Organza Quiz: 13
BSam: 14
Gandalf21: 14
onetruepurple: 14
Random Stranger: 16
Regy Rusty: 16
cargohills: 17

Labratio retains the lead with a spot-on guess for this episode. And More sneaking back up the ranks a bit here, and everyone else just falling further behind. The top ranks are still all within one episode of bad guessing, though, so still plenty of time this season for the lead to change.

I'm on D, not C unfortunately...

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I love Cold War. But then, I love submarine movies, and Cold War history, and Liam Cunningham, and David Warner. So I'm not exactly impartial.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Toxxupation posted:

Charlie Brooker writing for Capaldi's doctor is suddenly something I need. Desperately.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

Because much as I love Charlie Brooker I don't think he could write for the under-18 crowd to save his life.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Diabolik900 posted:

Quite so. And yet the average vote is still one of the lowest in this season. People seem to have learned the lesson that Toxx votes high based on the last two seasons, and have been skewing things that way. I converted all the grades to numeric scores (0-4) and averaged those to figure out what people thought, and this episode has a 2.8. Which seems pretty good, until you notice that's exactly the same number as Power of Three and only .2 more than the 2.6 for Angels in Manhattan. People appear to be voting for preferences this season on the three-point video game review scale, where if something gets a C average it's basically a disaster.

Stumiester posted:

I'm on D, not C unfortunately...

All set, sorry! I actually had you in both places due to a paste error.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

David Warner is also in the weird David Tennant cartoon with Anthony Stuart Head and he plays the Doctor in some the Unbound stories of those audio dramas some of us are always going on about.

It's also worth mentioning that Nicholas Briggs plays yet another monster voice in this one, and considering what a friendly, goofy voice he has in real life, it's pretty drat incredible that he does all of the Daleks, Cybermen and apparently Ice Warriors. The voice modulation does some of the heavy lifting, but, well, that is also him, for the most part.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Diabolik900 posted:

Though the votes are based on what Toxx will give it, not what people actually think of it. I'd have guessed he'd have loved it too.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Clara has been efficiently and mercilessly turned into a plot device with a pulse, the reverse-Rose, which makes her sense of self virtually nonexistent and thus her stories unimpactful.

A+, would agree again. Clara is flat, underwritten, underdeveloped and underutilized. She's friggin' boring. She seemed to stay that way for a long rear end drat time, too.

Toxxupation posted:

Oh, and as an aside - let's just be clear here. That speech from Eleven at the end was in no loving way any worse than both what Smith has said before and what The Doctor has triumphantly yelled to the Big Bad of the episode. People arguing otherwise are incredibly myopic - for Christ's sake the episode is Impossible Planet Redux, with the exact same setup and conceit of The Doctor yelling about how much more capable he is then the monster who happens to either be or represent an evil sun that wants to destroy everything. It's fine if you don't like that hammy bullshit in general but arguing that it's in any real way worse or texturally different than Tennant's shoutfests, or Smith's previous shoutfests, is just plain wrong. It's wrong. You're wrong. Wrong.

It feels strange to say this about a Doctor Who shouty speech, but this one was a little too shouty. I like me some hamminess, but this was beyond hammy fun, it was just ... He could have been shouting the telephone directory during a hurricane, for all the meaning it retained.

I remember very little about "Cold War". There's an ice cube alien on a submarine and ... that's about all I got. I'm not going to rewatch, though; I want to see how much comes back from reading comments about it.

Filox fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 1, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Filox posted:

It feels strange to say this about a Doctor Who shouty speech, but this one was a little too shouty. I like me some hamminess, but this was beyond hammy fun, it was just ... He could have been shouting the telephone directory during a hurricane, for all the meaning it retained.

While I'm not saying you were wrong to feel that way, I legitimately teared up the first time I heard the speech because it blindsided me and felt so full of emotion that I could relate to. Now maybe that really does objectively make me a big ol' pussy but it also means that there clearly was some kind-of meaning that translated from the screen to the audience given that at least one person reacted instantly without bias towards nor against the speech the first time he saw it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I suppose if there's a theme for this half of series 7 it's major league continuity references; it was the year of the 50th anniversary after all. So far there's been the Great Intelligence from the Second Doctor's day, using primitive snowmen constructs and then advanced robots, Clara's birthday is the 23rd of November, same as the show, and her mother died in March 2005 when the revival began airing, now there's an ice warrior. Moffat has always been a continuity nerd but it feels like they really ramped it up for this set of episodes.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

While I'm not saying you were wrong to feel that way, I legitimately teared up the first time I heard the speech because it blindsided me and felt so full of emotion that I could relate to. Now maybe that really does objectively make me a big ol' pussy but it also means that there clearly was some kind-of meaning that translated from the screen to the audience given that at least one person reacted instantly without bias towards nor against the speech the first time he saw it.

Different people react in different ways, nothing wrong with that. When I read the speech, I like it, it's very Who-ish. It's the delivery that didn't grab me.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

2house2fly posted:

I suppose if there's a theme for this half of series 7 it's major league continuity references; it was the year of the 50th anniversary after all. So far there's been the Great Intelligence from the Second Doctor's day, using primitive snowmen constructs and then advanced robots, Clara's birthday is the 23rd of November, same as the show, and her mother died in March 2005 when the revival began airing, now there's an ice warrior. Moffat has always been a continuity nerd but it feels like they really ramped it up for this set of episodes.

Well yeah, it was the show episodes that aired during the 50th Anniversary season. If there was ever a time to pull this poo poo out of the drawer it was during a major Anniversary year.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 1, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

okay after watching 202 of black mirror how the gently caress has charlie brooker not written for doctor who

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

black mirror is the version of doctor who I desperately wish existed, because jesus christ is black mirror loving unbelievable

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Black Mirror also doesn't have the Doctor or any sense of intellect, romance, or optimism in a world that favors brute force and cynicism, instead favoring a showcase of the worst aspects of human nature and how our best attribute for survival-- our ability to make and refine tools to interact with our environment and meet our needs--can create prisons and hells that seem inevitable but were never intended by anyone.

Besides do you want to break our children's sense of hope before they've even gotten out of the gate?

Plus you haven't watched episode 203 yet, and I hate to say it but it suuuuuuucks.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

mind the walrus posted:

Black Mirror also doesn't have the Doctor or any sense of intellect, romance, or optimism in a world that favors brute force and cynicism, instead favoring a showcase of the worst aspects of human nature and how our best attribute for survival-- our ability to make and refine tools to interact with our environment and meet our needs--can create prisons and hells that seem inevitable but were never intended by anyone.

Besides do you want to break our children's sense of hope before they've even gotten out of the gate?

Plus you haven't watched episode 203 yet, and I hate to say it but it suuuuuuucks.

actually it also ruled

but more to the point the way many-to-most episodes of DW are constructed, the doctor is essentially the avatar for humanity bringing optimism and hope to a cynical, dead, or lifeless world

there's been many episodes of DW that would play out in the same hopeless, despairing way the average episode of black mirror (not to even bring up the episodes of DW that are actually hopeless and despairing - they're rare but they happen) if it weren't for the fact that the doctor intrudes upon and changes the established narrative within it to bring the episode to either a hopeful or at least a not negative solution by the end of it

I'm not saying that charlie brooker should be the next showrunner, because you're right, his specific viewpoint and perspective on humanity and its relationship with technology is opposed to DW's overall aims, but I am saying that if one episode out of every 13 were this dark sort of depressing commentary it wouldn't throw off the general balance of the show

not even to mention how brooker is both a huge fan of and seems to fundamentally understand what Who is and its specific appeal, and contending that he couldn't change the specific maturity of his scripts to more fit DW's child demographic is i think a faulty assertion, I mean the guy who wrote "The Christmas Invasion" wrote this ludicrous horseshit

My point more is that brooker is so incredible at thinking through a situation and being able to really come up with an outside-the-box sci-fi premise and then honor that with well-written and deep characters and plotting that all locks into place by its end, I want to see what he could do on Who

Like to use an example the premise and plot of 202 of Black Mirror (speaking vaguely because it's incredible television) would work perfectly as an episode of DW, just with the change of having The Doctor bust in as it's going on and stand in as the audience surrogate for the plot reveals

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't really disagree, but I do think you're also on a bit of a fan-kick from being introduced to Black Mirror and are in that phase where you wish everything was as brutally honest and aware of itself and humanity, and especially willing to commit to the horrific consequences of one's actions. It's an admirable quality and one Doctor Who could use more of, but also one that won't arrive there for the same reason we don't actually have many other shows on the level of Black Mirror-- honesty, awareness, and consequences are three things humans actively avoid and Doctor Who at its worst is more than happy to reinforce.

And I didn't really mean that I didn't think Charlie Brooker could write for kids, that was me being flippant.

And episode 203 really wasn't on the level of the rest of the show, at all.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Charlie Brooker is the kind of guy who would rather claw his own eyes out than write for a show like Doctor Who.

anyway it turns out I've watched Cold War too. I remember thinking it was pretty good (best Gatiss episode yet probably) if not that special and then I went to AV Club and they gave it an A and I realised just how much of a fanboy AVC's current Who guy is.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

202 was an episode of Black Mirror I liked a lot while watching and then got more and more annoyed at the reveals as I thought about them. Better than 203, which was the worst of the show hands-down.

Bown posted:

Charlie Brooker is the kind of guy who would rather claw his own eyes out than write for a show like Doctor Who.
Pretty sure he likes the show a lot, for one.

I'd really like to see him write for it; lots of my favourite non-Moffat episodes of the revival have been done by people who don't regularly write for Who (eg Gaiman on Doctor's Wife, Curtis on Vincent and the Doctor).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm not saying Brooker couldn't write for Who, he's absolutely capable. But with his persona and general opinions on everything there's no way in hell he would ever tone down his writing for a BBC family show.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've never seen Black Mirror, but everything I've heard made it sound like every episode is basically a Doctor Who story where the Doctor doesn't turn up. So while I'm sure Brooker could write a good episode of Doctor Who, I'm not sure we'd necessarily gain anything from that. It would just be Black Mirror with the edge filed off.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 1, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bad Wolf is a bad Doctor Who episode crashing in on a bad Black Mirror episode.

Cleretic posted:

I've never seen Black Mirror, but everything I've heard made it sound like every episode is basically a Doctor Who story where the Doctor doesn't turn up. So while I'm sure Brooker could write a good episode of Doctor Who, I'm not sure we'd necessarily gain anything from that. It would just be Black Mirror with the edge filed off.

Some of them are like act 1 of a Who story, except the Doctor doesn't turn up and so everything turns to poo poo / remains poo poo. They tend to be smaller in scale than Who stuff though, and more like Twilight Zone episodes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Black Mirror is more like a modern-day Twilight Zone than Who in any way really.

And that's the best description of Bad Wolf I've ever read

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Toxx, you should take a short break between S7 and S8 and do up reviews for the three Black Mirror episodes. Partially to give you a little bit of a palate cleanser before Capaldi, partially so you can rewatch them all before digging into them, and partially because I only just recently watched the three episodes on Netflix and want to see someone do a nice examination and foster some discussion on the themes of each episode. :v:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

there's six episodes on netflix

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

THE gently caress

poo poo

E:Dammit, there goes my idea and my free time tomorrow afternoon

bawk fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jun 1, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

also there's a christmas special that aired last year in december, it stars jon hamm from mad men and is Very Good

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I do agree it might be an idea to have a lil break before Capaldi (hence why I recommended LMS in IRC) but I am interested to see how your feelings about Clara and such develop over that season too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cleretic posted:

Eh, I dunno, a fair few of the Black Mirror episodes tended to be based around a socially-entrenched nasty scenario that couldn't really be solved by a single heroic figure popping up, doing some dashing stunts, and vanishing the next day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Jesus Christ, I didnt know there was a season 2 because i checked out of 103 and never finished it, and never had Netflix tell me to hit play for season 2.

How did I miss 202. 201 was eh and 203 was dumb but 202 hit me right in the balls. Xmas special tagged 202 out and planted another forearm jab for the 1-2.

• Locked thread