Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the 250k sales mandate had to do with both the tellius games and the remakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also are you getting that 250k sales for SD in the US from vgchartz? because if so, lol

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Personally I think all the weird pandering sex stuff they added has really ruined the series.

Yup, Fire Emblem 4 looks like it's going to be bad.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
What the gently caress did I come back to? I was just taking a moment to say that Agro got 12 track music working on a GBA and I come back to a discussion about titties, asses and Fire Emblems Quantum Zombie existence. Also Fire Emblem's never really been a system seller or a unit mover except for 3 and 13 its scale of low-mid-high sales are strange.

Cake Attack posted:

Personally I think all the weird pandering sex stuff they added has really ruined the series.

Never stop Cake

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Onmi posted:

What the gently caress did I come back to? I was just taking a moment to say that Agro got 12 track music working on a GBA and I come back to a discussion about titties, asses and Fire Emblems Quantum Zombie existence. Also Fire Emblem's never really been a system seller or a unit mover except for 3 and 13 its scale of low-mid-high sales are strange.

Fire Emblem will only truly be a top-tier franchise with Mario and Pokemon when they find a way to put anime butts in the sprites, alongside the anime boobs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Fire Emblem will only truly be a top-tier franchise with Mario and Pokemon when they find a way to put anime butts in the sprites, alongside the anime boobs.
have you seen the asses of the generic fighters in awakening? yum

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

cheetah7071 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkqSNS9va5k

This really should be the in OP of this an all future FE threads.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Seriously though, the public bath scenes might be one of the best things added in the game. Because it means characters will actually be able to interact with each other and have things to say outside of supports, which is fantastic. Sure, it seems like it'll mostly be limited to the gender of your protagonist and a bunch of the dialogue will probably be generic but if the characters actually have things to say it will be a great addition.

They seem to be adding a bunch more stuff to give characters more things to do and presence outside of supports which is one of the big things i've wanted for this series. Now they just need to bring back base conversations as well, and this will be my favourite Fire Emblem game before it even comes out.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

public baths are literally suikoden, which is universally beloved

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I hope I can take hot baths in oil drums like suikoden

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They're saving that for #FE

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kamui: Harold...I wish I could quit you.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I just want to take a sword person and hit people with swords. Or perhaps an axe lady and hit people with axes. As long as the game has that, I'll be satisfied.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Cake Attack posted:

FE4 did have really creepy awful stuff though and apparently Tear Ring Saga was even worse? The series didn't die but they definitely overhauled it after 5.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FE4: a couple of 'oh, that was weird' moments

Tear Ring Saga: If you send your cleric to a specific village early on in the game, she gets captured and sold into sexual slavery. you can find her twenty chapters later as a dancer, via her brother seeing her at a bar and getting horny

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if there's one thing i'm glad this series dropped after a certain point, it was the way every single bandit enemy went 'kill the men and capture the women' 'couple of fine looking women in there' 'i want to capture, violently rape, and then sell these women into slavery'

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

also are you getting that 250k sales for SD in the US from vgchartz? because if so, lol

EnGadget said 250k but didn't cite where they got that number (and that's the article that wikipedia cites for 250k sales.) I wouldn't be surprised if SD outsold the Tellius games, but if it did I don't really know why Nintendo didn't bring over 12. 250k is pretty respectable for a niche title like Fire Emblem and they probably aren't too expensive to localize.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Endorph posted:

Tear Ring Saga: If you send your cleric to a specific village early on in the game, she gets captured and sold into sexual slavery. you can find her twenty chapters later as a dancer, via her brother seeing her at a bar and getting horny

Kind of glad Kaga stopped working on these games well before I got into them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WrightOfWay posted:

250k is pretty respectable for a niche title like Fire Emblem and they probably aren't too expensive to localize.
these games have a lot of text, though

though 11-12 has the advantage of not requiring voice actors. awakening doesn't, which is probably why they flipflopped on it for so long.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Endorph posted:

Ahahaha, okay, I was clearly too harsh earlier. If that's the alternative, bring on the face-touching.

I saw somewhere there was a character called "Ganz" in If who was talking to Kamui, and appeared to be a Nohr general drawn like one of the regular level bosses (that is, a sinister-looking thug). I had a thought that along with killing people you'd have recruited on the other path, you'll also probably rub elbows with all the low-level villains on your own side that would've otherwise been bosses. That's actually pretty neat, since normally I wonder how those one-shot brutes could possibly interact with other people when they're not sneering at the hero who's coming to kill them.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Please help it's not working.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
FE12 has obscene amounts of text.

e: fe4: a good game with some nice incest

fe14: a bad game because you can pet people

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nanomashoes posted:

Please help it's not working.
careful, too much friction can make things catch fire

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

SC Bracer posted:

FE12 has obscene amounts of text.

e: fe4: a good game with some nice incest

fe14: a bad game because you can pet people

Does FE12 really have any more text than a standard JRPG? Shadow Dragon definitely didn't. 12 has supports but it's still not Trails in the Sky or something. I'm not a buisness person, though, so maybe it made financial sense at the time not to bring 12 over.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't suppose there was any confirmation on reclassing being in or out?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Internet Kraken posted:

Yes, it's back. There's an article on the maid and Butler able to change, at the very least.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

WrightOfWay posted:

Does FE12 really have any more text than a standard JRPG? Shadow Dragon definitely didn't. 12 has supports but it's still not Trails in the Sky or something. I'm not a buisness person, though, so maybe it made financial sense at the time not to bring 12 over.

Considering it was late in the DS' life and 12 had an assload of supports (along with base conversations), they probably figured it just wasn't worth the effort.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Endorph posted:

if there's one thing i'm glad this series dropped after a certain point, it was the way every single bandit enemy went 'kill the men and capture the women' 'couple of fine looking women in there' 'i want to capture, violently rape, and then sell these women into slavery'

again you forget nowi

WrightOfWay posted:

EnGadget said 250k but didn't cite where they got that number (and that's the article that wikipedia cites for 250k sales.) I wouldn't be surprised if SD outsold the Tellius games, but if it did I don't really know why Nintendo didn't bring over 12. 250k is pretty respectable for a niche title like Fire Emblem and they probably aren't too expensive to localize.

Yeah, it was a NoA press release after Awakening came out that many publications reference but I can't find directly. As mentioned 12 has a whole lot of text, but the real reason is that it just came out too late. The 3DS was already announced and would have been out by the time the US version would be ready. It's the same as Mother 3, really.

People scapegoat Shadow Dragon for various things but it did pretty well all told.

fe4 is bad but thracia is cool (and also bad)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

It's in, an item called Parallel Seals. We don't have any explicit details yet, but from what we've speculated: characters have two base classes, and both of those can promote into two different classes (Awakening characters had three base classes), and Sealing no longer resets your level.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Francis posted:

again you forget nowi

Yeah, it was a NoA press release after Awakening came out that many publications reference but I can't find directly. As mentioned 12 has a whole lot of text, but the real reason is that it just came out too late. The 3DS was already announced and would have been out by the time the US version would be ready. It's the same as Mother 3, really.

People scapegoat Shadow Dragon for various things but it did pretty well all told.

Hey, what's your favorite anime?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shadow Dragon did pretty well all told except for the part about being in any way a good game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tae posted:

Yes, it's back. There's an article on the maid and Butler able to change, at the very least.

Terper posted:

It's in, an item called Parallel Seals. We don't have any explicit details yet, but from what we've speculated: characters have two base classes, and both of those can promote into two different classes (Awakening characters had three base classes), and Sealing no longer resets your level.

Thanks. So far this game is bringing back everything I liked bout Awakening while adding tons of new stuff so this looks great. Even if it does have weird face rubbing stuff.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

WrightOfWay posted:

It had regular supports, Avatar supports, and then base conversations on top of that. Also the regular script+BSFE+Gaiden chapters. It had assloads for text for a Fire Emblem game. Only Awakening surpasses it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Francis posted:

again you forget nowi

MMBN4 was the best selling out of all the Battle Network games and was top 5 among Megaman games.

It also condemned it's franchise and the entire series thereafter to a slow death

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Localization, especially good localization, would probably cost around a million or close to it, which is a lot for portable game budgets. Like, I'm pretty sure you can hire whatever garbage that did the Sword Art translation for 10k, but that would hurt the sales and future franchise attempts by a huge margin.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also, keep in mind that Nintendo's, well, Nintendo. They won't settle for anything less than meticulously proofread, very well-edited, constantly checked translations. They have a brand image to maintain. That makes them more expensive too - proofreaders gotta eat.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Too bad Nintendo didn't catch the bug in Awakening where you could put 2 units in 1 square, making every fight really easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

Also, keep in mind that Nintendo's, well, Nintendo. They won't settle for anything less than meticulously proofread, very well-edited, constantly checked