Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Man, I hate the first mission with the Movers. It's just so slow and repetitive, and the Movers take so long to kill until you get the anti-mover weapons research. That's the mission I usually lose the advanced ships you get from Mission 2 in. It's just such a meat grinder that it's really hard to keep anything specific alive though it.

Movers themselves are fun, though. I always thought of them as Corvette-class bombers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I was going to say how the niches the ships get put in, like the Destroyer here, compared to the previous game make it a lot more rock paper starship, but then I realised I'd just described the frigates

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I like the x16 transition, and don't think you need any music. I jut like being able to see the really impressive backgrounds.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Well they sure reverse-engineered million year old hyper-advanced technology pretty fast. Though it is the Hiigarans we're talking about here. I like to think they're just continuously rotating the frequency of their phasers so the Borg can't adapt fast enough...wait.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't know why I didn't realize it before but the Megalith has nothing to do with the Progenitor debris. It's a whole other wreckage.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Say what you will about the game, but the background does manage to convey a sense of actual awe. That one "rib" looks like it would completely dwarf the Mothership, and so the actual wreck seems like it would be an almost incomprehensibly large vessel or structure. It's definitely the feeling of ants crawling over the ruins of a mighty civilization whose greatness is entirely beyond their ken.

Over this, all the cries of "frigate lost" is so much meaningless wind. Oh wait, that's every mission :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kw0134 posted:

Say what you will about the game, but the background does manage to convey a sense of actual awe. That one "rib" looks like it would completely dwarf the Mothership, and so the actual wreck seems like it would be an almost incomprehensibly large vessel or structure. It's definitely the feeling of ants crawling over the ruins of a mighty civilization whose greatness is entirely beyond their ken.

This and the visual design are about the only things I've liked so far about this game. Those broken pieces of the Progenitor ship's engineering bay are bigger than your carriers and destroyers.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

kw0134 posted:

Over this, all the cries of "frigate lost" is so much meaningless wind. Oh wait, that's every mission :v:

Somewhere deep in my brain I seem to remember they're the remnants of a Dyson sphere.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe
Mission 6 feels like the first asteroid field mission from Homeworld to me. It's a neat idea that ends up being kind of too long. But oh well.

Mission 7 misses so many Homeworld beats though. The no-fanfare Destroyer introduction (new research options unlocked! You're playing an RTS, haha!) is par for this game, I guess, but the radiation stuff is just...why? Sure the Hiigarans would reverse-engineer and reproduce the Mover, but they'd also say "oh look, dangerous radiation. Research thinks they can adapt our ships to it!"

ESPECIALLY once the Vagyr show up in radiation-proofed vessels. I think I'd have been happier if they'd jumped in, been radded to death, and then had to jump in elsewhere.

Makaan and the Vagyr are just such uninspired foes. They menace, vaguely, in the most annoying ways possible: by being basically everywhere, by getting random immunity, by having scouts show up without it really seeming to matter what you do to them.

Man, maybe the general lack of apparent motivation/agency is part of the problem I have with the mystireligious plot, too. Everything just seems inexorable. Your destiny will be fulfilled, and all you can do is try to leave the smallest number of friendly frigate bits littered behind you and try to rebuild before the next wave spawns. The other two Homeworlds feel uncertain. Desperate.

Top-notch art, though.

And thanks for trying the speedup! I hadn't thought about how popping through interfaces and going to various battles during that would look--I'd imagined it while remaining focused on a single ship for a long battle or somesuch. I still liked it though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

ESPECIALLY once the Vagyr show up in radiation-proofed vessels. I think I'd have been happier if they'd jumped in, been radded to death, and then had to jump in elsewhere.

The radiation-proof Vaygr are the primary reason I gave up trying to beat the original HW2. Combined with the scaling it was just too much.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

The radiation-proof Vaygr are the primary reason I gave up trying to beat the original HW2. Combined with the scaling it was just too much.

Yeah, I really hate it when they make a hazard and then make it so all the enemies are immune to it.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

The next mission is the only one of Homeworld 2 I've actually played, and the only one I remember because of its badass soundtrack.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

For me HW2 ships are much better looking than HW1 and CATA ships. So much in fact that I kinda feel like the bananaship is the odd duck in your fleet. The comm chatter sucks tho, equatorial hells are much better than ships under attack.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I have to say that I'm not a big fan of the Destroyer, not just because of the change in role but the design: I don't think the "WWII in space" design meshes well with Homeworld. :shobon:

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

radintorov posted:

I have to say that I'm not a big fan of the Destroyer, not just because of the change in role but the design: I don't think the "WWII in space" design meshes well with Homeworld. :shobon:

Well, to a point most RTS games are 'World War II in X', because modern warfare involves a lot of tactics that you wouldn't really find engaging as a game. I kind of doubt you'd enjoy a game where all you did was fire high-powered guided missiles or large railguns from an entire map away. For the destroyer though, it makes sense that you can load a lot more huge guns by putting them on the broadside of the ship. I don't know why they stopped at four, though. It would have made more sense to have 3 on the top and bottom and a heavy missile tube in the front, but I guess that was too many guns.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

radintorov posted:

Well it is a destroyer, after all. :v:

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

It looked like the Destroyer's turrets were actually able to hit strike craft though.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
That is a weirdly underwhelming destroyer.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
I like the HW2 destroyer.
Is it qualitatively as good as the old one? In a word, no. Is it as good as it ought to be, no. Should it really have had ion cannons, yes.

Despite that, the sheer oomph of the large-caliber kinetic weapons in HW2 pleases me massively.

Put an ion cannon turret on either side and a couple of pulsar turrets and it would be perfect.

VKing fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 2, 2015

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I remember hearing a complaint about the Hiigaran ship design in that they are too much based on ocean-going ship design, making them rather uninspired, and I have to admit that seems especially true of the destroyer and carrier vessels.

Also, why exactly does turning large pieces of debris into small pieces of debris help remove radiation in space?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I remember hearing a complaint about the Hiigaran ship design in that they are too much based on ocean-going ship design, making them rather uninspired, and I have to admit that seems especially true of the destroyer and carrier vessels.

Also, why exactly does turning large pieces of debris into small pieces of debris help remove radiation in space?
Reducing the mass of the radioactive material makes less radiation :v:

The Destroyer is kind of lackluster though it's big guns do pack a decent punch against anything they can hit. Especially since the only heavy weapon that applies their damage faster than it are ion beams (missiles have travel time.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I kinda wish Homeworld 2 actually showed the intact Progenitor ship, or megalith. One of my favorite moments in general space-based gaming was group mission in Star Trek Online where the ships you thought were big - the kilometer long Klingon carriers and Romulan warbirds - have to destroy an absolutely colossal ship, so large there's plenty of room for dozens of fully sized ships to slug it out in the ship's hangar and then in each of the main engineering spaces. That sense of scope is amazing when done well, and space-based games can get away with doing it on a magnificent scale.

Instead, just random chunks of debris and broken megaliths in the skybox. Disappointing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So much of this game's plot happens offscreen, it's ridiculous. There's just all this showing rather than telling. Here's what's happened offscreen so far:

-an ancient and powerful mcguffin was found somewhere
-an armada was put together and a vast galactic war was waged
-The Taiidan were wiped out
-the Bentusi were almost wiped out
-most of the Hiigaran fleet was destroyed
-Hiigara is under assault RIGHT NOW
-The Progenitors had the coolest ships in town, but they blew up

Here's what happened onscreen:

-The dockyard was destroyed
-The Bentusi said "hey go to a place" and the mothership went to that place
-The oracle monkeyed around with the mothership
-We found some useful stuff while rummaging around in a cosmic dumpster

Also, is it just me, or has the empty void of space been orange for a really long time now?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

We saw missiles raining down on Hiigara in a cutscene but yeah.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SlothfulCobra posted:

So much of this game's plot happens offscreen, it's ridiculous. There's just all this showing rather than telling. Here's what's happened offscreen so far:

-an ancient and powerful mcguffin was found somewhere
-Hiigara is under assault RIGHT NOW

These two things happened on screen but the first happened a couple games ago. Well, the one time the macguffin was found anyway.

quote:

Also, is it just me, or has the empty void of space been orange for a really long time now?

The Great Wasteland and outer parts of the galaxy are bluish, the nebula is red, the galactic core is orange and yellow. It was that way in HW1 too!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Xenoborg posted:

It looked like the Destroyer's turrets were actually able to hit strike craft though.

I think that's a result of the dice rolls combined with the number of bullets the destroyer (and other, larger turrets) can put out combined with that they'll only need one to kill a fighter. Put out enough bullets and the RNG will score enough hits, especially if the fighters in question are charging straight at the ship in question and it can fire as fast as the game allows.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Kibayasu posted:

I think that's a result of the dice rolls combined with the number of bullets the destroyer (and other, larger turrets) can put out combined with that they'll only need one to kill a fighter. Put out enough bullets and the RNG will score enough hits, especially if the fighters in question are charging straight at the ship in question and it can fire as fast as the game allows.

Quite true. I've caught Ion Frigates in HW1 hitting fighters, so it's not impossible.

Still doesn't excuse the lack of Ions on the Destroyer.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Gothsheep posted:

Yeah, I really hate it when they make a hazard and then make it so all the enemies are immune to it.

Having not played this at all, the radiation-proof Vaygr are one of the things that's made the most sense to me. After all, a megalith graveyard is an ideal place for a secret shipyard - the Bananaship II was built in a similar one! The 'boss fight' is once again a semi-stationary shipyard, following up on that. So once they picked out Karos for a yard, it obviously follows that they would need to shield the ships here specifically to deal with deadly, deadly radiation.

Now, not letting the Higaarans steal that rad shielding is obviously inexcusable, though.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
What we get in this mission is what made me forbid drinking games regarding reused plot points. That is all.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

berryjon's latest video posted:

See you next time, when our Siege Cannon does the expected thing.

It fires one shot, overloads, and is completely useless for half the game?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Man, the sci-fi and fantasy are jarring here. We hear about AI, crossing galaxies and then literally the next line we're talking about prophecies about them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ZeeToo posted:

Man, the sci-fi and fantasy are jarring here. We hear about AI, crossing galaxies and then literally the next line we're talking about prophecies about them.

It's been done before, Dune and Warhammer 40k springing to mind, but they both execute and sell it quite a bit better than this game.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

propatriamori posted:

Mission 6 feels like the first asteroid field mission from Homeworld to me. It's a neat idea that ends up being kind of too long. But oh well.

Mission 7 misses so many Homeworld beats though. The no-fanfare Destroyer introduction (new research options unlocked! You're playing an RTS, haha!) is par for this game, I guess, but the radiation stuff is just...why? Sure the Hiigarans would reverse-engineer and reproduce the Mover, but they'd also say "oh look, dangerous radiation. Research thinks they can adapt our ships to it!"

Makaan and the Vagyr are just such uninspired foes. They menace, vaguely, in the most annoying ways possible: by being basically everywhere, by getting random immunity, by having scouts show up without it really seeming to matter what you do to them.

I have NO idea why did the writers felt the need to introduce such uninspired and out-of-place religio-enemy factions does when an ideal one already exist in the universe: Imperialist Talidan. It will certainly be much more interesting to see conflict between them, the Republican Talidan and Hiigarans as the baby race builds a credible force to handle the affairs of the galaxy, and if the writers just want use the bananaboat again all they need was to retrofit the already existing mothership orbiting Hiigara.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
"Give us five minutes and we can copy Movers, you know, ancient, forgotten technology clearly operating on principles not normally in use by us(AI controlled, etc.)."

"But this here Dreadnought? Nope, can't copy it. Only one we've got. The Keeper? Its drones? Stuff that, even if not clearly superior to a lot of our own things, would add a lot of tactical variety to our arsenal? Nope! Not a chance!"

This expedition is not being lead by real Hiigarans.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Does anyone have the written lyrics for that theme when the Keeper appears? It's supposed to be a chant of some kind - Arabic, or Urdu maybe? I've always wanted to know what those words are.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Seriously, the keeper theme is awesome. For all this game's flaws, musical direction is most definitely not one of them.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 8, 2015

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Great design, too. Very cool ship.

E:and if I recall right it always focuses on the biggest warship it can find. Destroyers are bait.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

John Liver posted:

Does anyone have the written lyrics for that theme when the Keeper appears? It's supposed to be a chant of some kind - Arabic, or Urdu maybe? I've always wanted to know what those words are.

I remember hearing back in the day that the language is Sanskrit but the lyrics are nonsensical, chosen only to fit the "mood" of the piece. Definitely a rad track, though!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I remember hearing back in the day that the language is Sanskrit but the lyrics are nonsensical, chosen only to fit the "mood" of the piece. Definitely a rad track, though!

I'm guessing the same is also true of my favorite song in Homeworld 2, one we'll only hear in the final mission and its name is a spoiler. I can't offer any fault to the art or music teams for this game, just a shame about the game they're attached to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The music would be amazing if you weren't constantly reminded that you're living through Generic Fantasy Plot 101 But In Space. Takes away a lot of the pathos.
Oh, and then you remember Sajuuk.

edit: Also, the cutscene that plays very strongly suggests it should go like "Transmitting Progenitor language, it is an automatic broadcast: Please hold the line, one of our employees will attend to your obliteration in a minute."

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 8, 2015

• Locked thread