Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Zigmidge posted:

I don't see anything introduced in EU/EW not making it to here. They had world class designers put all that poo poo together, it would be a waste of money and manpower to drop them wholesale. There might be a new veneer on them but I'm sure we'll see all the old mechanics coming back, if tweaked to fit new designs.

Yeah there's no way the basic turn-by-turn gameplay is significantly different from XCOM 1. There'll be new enemies and new weapons and new abilities and so on and so forth, but it'll still be the same solid tactical game.

...which is good, mind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

I think the story won't really matter just like the first game. :shrug:

Anybody who unironically argues about "canon" needs a big ol wedgie.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Third World Reggin posted:

I am going to gently caress a snake lady
XCOM 2: I am going to gently caress a snake lady

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope we get to go on covert ops missions with giant robots with flamethrower arms and grenade launchers again.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

XCOM 2: We are going to gently caress a snake lady

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Going Dreadnaught/Pacific Rim on foolish aliens is half the fun of saving humanity.

What I'm saying is I don't want to live in a world where aliens invaded and we DIDN'T invent a way to punch them in their smug giant faces.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Every XCOM game has always made it a point to at least inform you how much collateral damage you did to the poor environment/civilians, if not telling you outright to keep it a clean operation.

To the contrary, on abduction missions Bradford usually tells you that the site is clear of civilians and collateral damage is not a concern.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Darkrenown posted:

I'm a little disappointed there's only going to be 5 classes. I was worried enough about going back down to 6 after LW, but maybe they'll have more varied skill trees?
I think technically there were only 4 classes in unmodded XCOM, since I don't think MECs and Gene Troopers counted as their own classes, really.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Vib Rib posted:

I think technically there were only 4 classes in unmodded XCOM, since I don't think MECs and Gene Troopers counted as their own classes, really.

Yeah EU only has Sniper, Assault, Support, and Heavy. Psychic perks were also in vanilla but not available until late game. EW adds MECs and Gene Troopers, but there's no MEC classes (although you do get different bonuses depending on what your class was pre-MEC). We're spoiled by Long War's class choices and I'm not at all surprised that XCOM 2 has less than Long War.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Vib Rib posted:

I remember when Enemy Within was announced that they were touting MECs as a new fifth class, so it seems likely the fifth unrevealed class could be MECs.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Yeah, you're right: Assault, Heavy, Sniper, Support? It's been a while!

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Notorious QIG posted:

Yeah EU only has Sniper, Assault, Support, and Heavy. Psychic perks were also in vanilla but not available until late game. EW adds MECs and Gene Troopers, but there's no MEC classes (although you do get different bonuses depending on what your class was pre-MEC). We're spoiled by Long War's class choices and I'm not at all surprised that XCOM 2 has less than Long War.

what? mecs were a class

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Jetamo posted:

I remember when Enemy Within was announced that they were touting MECs as a new fifth class, so it seems likely the fifth unrevealed class could be MECs.

I doubt it, if only because they're teasing us along with the fifth class and it would be a huge buzzkill for them to reveal that the fifth class is a thing we already had in the last game.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Ernie Muppari posted:

what? mecs were a class

I meant that there's only one MEC class: MEC. I guess technically it's a fifth class but it's not available from the start of the campaign so it doesn't really feel like one to me.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Jetamo posted:

That would come off a bit flat, though. "You remember our fifth class reveal? Guess what! It's the same thing as last time!"

Unless, of course, it was some sort of cyborg trooper that isn't a mini-mecha, like a humanoid infiltrator SHIV or something.

Serf
May 5, 2011

5th class is a mercenary alien that's just like the alien options from XCOM 1 multiplayer. Hire a muton, it's cool.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Non-upgradable chaff alien troops would be cool, but little different from long-term mind control. There needs to be more...

Serf
May 5, 2011

Zomborgon posted:

Non-upgradable chaff alien troops would be cool, but little different from long-term mind control. There needs to be more...

No I mean like a selection of specialized alien soldiers to choose from. Head down to the alien bar, you can hire Murzz'l the muton elite with a heart of gold or Narzagon the thin man who longs for death. Perks and all, each one randomly generated.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

XCOM2 takes place in the timeline where the Commander died of heart disease. XCOM:EU/EW takes place in the time line where Future Trunks went back in time with a MELD canister to cure the Commander's heart condition. XCOM3 will takes place the timeline where after Future Trunks returns to the present in XCOM2, his time machine is carjacked by a Snakeman who then also travels back in time.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Beagle said so it must be true: the new Sectoids are officially named "Pectoids".

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I hope the fifth class is "Rogue Alien who turned back on Ethereals" or something of the sort.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Serf posted:

No I mean like a selection of specialized alien soldiers to choose from. Head down to the alien bar, you can hire Murzz'l the muton elite with a heart of gold or Narzagon the thin man who longs for death. Perks and all, each one randomly generated.

Exactly the "more" I was thinking. It doesn't seem like a "class" in the traditional sense, but I'd love an elite merc market. Reminds me of Starcraft II's a bit.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Serf posted:

5th class is a mercenary alien that's just like the alien options from XCOM 1 multiplayer. Hire a muton, it's cool.
I have wanted this since the first XCOM.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
My hope is for a leadership class kind of like long war's officers but less restrictive.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I hope the developers take a good look at Long War and ignore the hell out of it when making XCOM 2.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
If this game had blood types and a school it would be a good dating sim.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I hope the developers take a good look at Long War and ignore the hell out of it when making XCOM 2.
About that...

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
The thread title inspired me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZwlC4lSID8

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
hiring alien defectors sounds like a great idea that i can't imagine a way could possibly backfi-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxXioYZyTlM&t=200s

err

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Cosmic Afro posted:

You've got about two squads of dudes firing at a building while dual wielding the game's strongest weapon -- a Disruptor Cannon -- and just leveling the entire thing instead of going inside and flush all the aliens out with room-to-room exploration.

It's a very effective, valid tactic if you're dealing with a fully infested building. Or even just partially. Oh, sure, the faction ain't happy, but who gives a gently caress about them.

xcom apocalypse was amazing imo

Destructible environments, the cityscape thing with huge ufos and kaijus wrecking poo poo, the rival corporations and hostile takeovers and stuff :allears:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Sexpansion posted:

PROCEDURALLY GENERATED MAPS!!!!!!!

!!!!!!

I seriously cannot get over how excited I am about this.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
I took a closer look at the unit battlescape menu and I had a couple of observations I wanted to spit out (TIMG'd to protect tables):

Moving from the far left to right:
  • The to-hit chance side panel has some sort of arrow next to it. Is this to cycle between your units, or just a way to expand/hide the %-to-hit panel? The arrow direction seems to indicate that it's meant to contract the side panels, but why would you ever hide your % chances?
  • Damage is given in a range rather than a single average number like it was in EU/W.
  • The action bar is mostly understandable: 1 is "get in the Skyranger" or something similar and is currently unavailable as an action, 2 is Shoot, 3 Overwatch, 4 is Hanzo Steel, 5 is some kind of class ability usable once a fight, 6 is Hunker Down, 7 is Reload, and 8 has a new green action color– maybe that's the "request Skyranger extraction" action?
  • The chance for a critical hit is much lower than it would have been for targeting a flanked character in EU/W. I guess this is so that ambushes don't immediately turn into a turkey shoot.
  • There's a tiny backpack to the right of the critical chance side panel with three unfilled bars. It looks like this indicates a unit's scavenging carrying capacity. Perhaps it can be increased?
  • The amount of ammo you have for your weapons isn't shown as a filled up silhouette– instead it's a segmented bar. I guess that makes keeping track of shots a little easier. Also, shotguns have just 3 Ammo units now instead of 4 like in EU/W.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
the moddability support is the biggest feature in my eyes. For a game like this it could be huge

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Will XCOM 2 have gamepad support even though it isn't coming out on consoles? I liked playing the game on pad.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I can't wait for the nexus and lovers lab modders to get a hold of this.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Xcom: fuckpocalypse

in this mod you can build your own fuckbase full of sex dungeons where you can bring the captured aliens for extensive interrogation sessions

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Also, if there are any inexplicably invulnerable children, you can be sure some jagoff will decide to add some extra collateral damage abilities.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zzulu posted:

Xcom: fuckpocalypse

in this mod you can build your own fuckbase full of sex dungeons where you can bring the captured aliens for extensive interrogation sessions

Hell, they don't even have to be alive :huh:

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
New gameplay footage of X-Com shooting down a Xenos craft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au4dUJDY50U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Jetamo posted:

I don't know, I think that makes it kinda unlikely. Because it's too obvious.

I'm thinking human-alien hybrid psychers. We're long enough after XCOM1 for those to exist.

• Locked thread