Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ningyou posted:

what if i was just funnin' about the whole hypnokink thing and creeping existential dread is my REAL fetish :wink:

also my fetish: "suffering in perpetuity at the miserable hands of the great Leviathan known as Traditional Games" like JEEZ WAHAD WAY TO just SHARE THE SECRETS OF MY HEART WITH LIKE EVERYONE

What if you wrote to communicate ideas clearly instead of whatever it is you're doing now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Effectronica posted:

What if you wrote to communicate ideas clearly instead of whatever it is you're doing now?

That sounds like a personal problem

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

My first anime elfgame was Mekton Zeta, but we only ever played a couple of one-shots.

I really liked Big Eyes, Small Mouth back in the day, but looking at it now it seems to be slightly bad. :( Just picked up OVA 2nd which seems to owe a lot of its basic design to BESM, though it's certainly not a clone.

Overall though, anime-elfgame is a bit of a wierd genre, as anime itself is a medium, not a genre; I'd probably pick a system that matched the anime system I was trying to model rather than use one of the specifically anime games unless I just wanted a LOL-Random. Where they do win out is being fairly light, effects-based multi-genre games.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

ideas and the clear communication thereof = dumb nerd bullshit

this is the cool ppl fun zone

real talk though if you straight up can't parse my posts idek what to tell you

like, they're not that convoluted or messy or w/e!

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ningyou posted:

ideas and the clear communication thereof = cool ppl fun zone

this is the dumb nerd bullshit

real talk though if you straight up convoluted or messy or w/e!

like, they're not that can't parse my posts idek what to tell you

I ran your post through a translator and I think I see the problem.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

.............how could i have been so blind?

This was....t-this was the dumb nerd bullshit all along! We were the dumb nerd bullshit! We chuckled and sniped and snarked and storygamed, fat on our own self-satisfaction, but we never realized that the dumb nerd bullshit was inside us from the first moment!

Oh, I'll never even see the faintest glimpse of the cool ppl fun zone now...

Dec 26, 2012

Fungah! posted:

they post better there

I don't know about that. There's been some quality posting here that puts it to the test.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

01011001 posted:

I don't know about that. There's been some quality posting here that puts it to the test.

i mean i read this thread too so

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

MEANWHILE, HOPPING BACK ON THE DUMB NERD poo poo TRAIN FOR A SEC

com truise is pretty great and you should listen to them if you're one of those garbagechans who enjoy weird mopeybroody bleep blorp Artpop Refrigerator Hum music later Boards of Canada and stuff i guess

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.

Effectronica posted:

Hypnofetishism is one of those paraphilias that strikes a creeping, existential dread into me, and then coupling it with saccharine gabble adds nausea to the mix.

Well, I mean. We can talk more about math, if you really want. But mathematics strikes me as so...dull. Is not the heart of RPGs, at least in this era, interaction and conversation? To reduce characters to base assemblages of 3d6 rolls and proficiency selections utterly disregards the heart of why many people play these games - and why so many people are uncomfortable when being The Fighter, without ever knowing why.

That Markov chain idea sounds pretty, uh...I don't know, pointless and dumb? It seems like one would have to be in on the joke to get any interest of it. Like a bad XKCD strip. Plus, using people's 'bad LiveJournals' seems pretty lovely - this is a way a lot of people use to express thoughts that they can't really get out anywhere else, a lot of people with confusing feelings on sexuality and gender and all sorts of other things. Even 'ha ha fanfic' invokes, in part, a reaction against people trying to understand themselves in the only way they know how.

As for hypnofetishism, well...that has a long history with RPGs, ever since the first ~bewitching~ female monster, the first enchantment spell...the first White Wolf game. Really, this is stuff White Wolf is trying to accomplish behind all the creepy, and a certain part of the appeal; the power dynamics, the politics, the sensual interactions, that it just feels so uncomfortable removing like so many people do. It's like removing the cream filling from a twinkie - it's kind of what it's for.

01011001 posted:

What, you don't like my SHODAN references? :smug:

Queen Fiona fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 3, 2015

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Queen Fiona posted:

I like them. :smith: Also, to play devil's advocate, I think someone brought up the hypno-monsters in a different chat thread and noted that it was suggestive of some deeply childish thinking on women from the creators.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.
That is, of course, completely true. The whole basis of these monsters was deeply unhealthy views on women, both going back into myth and into the wargaming scene of the time. I was by no means trying to suggest otherwise, just noting that such themes could be found throughout tradgames history.

And, well...some things can be reclaimed, can they not? :h: Besides, I'm sure a Davin wouldn't mind bishounen versions of some of those monsters.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
what the...

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Queen Fiona posted:

That is, of course, completely true. The whole basis of these monsters was deeply unhealthy views on women, both going back into myth and into the wargaming scene of the time. I was by no means trying to suggest otherwise, just noting that such themes could be found throughout tradgames history.

And, well...some things can be reclaimed, can they not? :h: Besides, I'm sure a Davin wouldn't mind bishounen versions of some of those monsters.

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting you were deliberately ignoring the nasty parts of the whole hypno themes issue. Just saying that they might be why someone is uncomfortable with them in their TTRPG.

You're definitely right about the second part, though :swoon:

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

"don't like" "SHODAN"

....I'm sorry but I don't know what these words mean in that order

Dec 26, 2012

Queen Fiona posted:

Solid choice of source material, iffy execution. Took too long to get to the point.

Ningyou posted:

"don't like" "SHODAN"

I could easily understand being iffy on her, she only shows up for real just before the level quality in SS2 starts to tilt downward so it's hard for me not to associate her with that and she's not quite as memorable in SS1. Fantastic reveal though.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Ningyou posted:

"don't like" "SHODAN"

Never not post SHODAN.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

GLaDOS best scarydommey AI though

Also all I really know of SS1 is that I tried playing it a few years ago and oh my god
modern gaming has ruined me when it comes to trying blobby old games with janky old interfaces

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

01011001 posted:

Solid choice of source material, iffy execution. Took too long to get to the point.

It would probably help if I actually played through the drat games sometime.

Ningyou posted:

You monster. :h:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Ningyou posted:

This is what divides the thread ningyou!

vs

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Unpopular opinion option #3:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Wahad posted:

Unpopular opinion option #3:

Ahhh drat. Wildcard option looking strong.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

The problem with Samaritan is it's not a lady, it's a whiny snot-nosed kid. :smith:

I've come to appreciate SHODAN a lot more, but I'm distinctly a GLaDOS booster. If I were to start a religion based on a female character, until a couple of years ago, it would have been her hands down.

That said, a lot of the things I liked about GLaDOS were made retroactively moot by Portal 2, which sort of sucks. :smith:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Queen Fiona posted:

The problem with Samaritan is it's not a lady, it's a whiny snot-nosed kid. :smith:

Yeah I guess, and the Machine is a kindly mother who just wants to be loved :3:

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

I'd post the Machine as an option, but I don't think the Machine counts as scary or evil.

Dommy, on the other hand? Hell yes. Just look at Root!

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Queen Fiona posted:

This.

oh my god why did the writers think this was a good idea

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Speaking of disappointment, i guess Hannibal is starting up again and I really, really hope that doesn't somehow go bad this season? Because the first two seasons were amazing but then I didn't think PoI would feature Smarmyteen McChildlaborlaws, Samaritan avatar (or resolve the Dominic/Elias thing by some rando shooting both of them because ~~~~~outliers~~~~) either so idek.

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jun 3, 2015

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Ningyou posted:

Speaking of disappointment, i guess Hannibal is starting up again and I really, really hope that doesn't somehow go bad this season? Because the first two seasons were amazing but then I didn't think PoI would feature Smarmy McChildlaborlaws, Samaritan avatar (or resolve the Dominic/Elias thing by some rando shooting both of them because ~~~~~outliers~~~~) so idek.

They're going to reveal next season that the kid was the shooter. dun dun duuuuuh!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ningyou posted:

Speaking of disappointment, i guess Hannibal is starting up again and I really, really hope that doesn't somehow go bad this season? Because the first two seasons were amazing but then I didn't think PoI would feature Smarmyteen McChildlaborlaws, Samaritan avatar (or resolve the Dominic/Elias thing by some rando shooting both of them because ~~~~~outliers~~~~) either so idek.
They already got away with Autism Superpowers in the first season, which is basically the dumbest thing a procedural can do, I think they'll be okay from here.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The only good procedural was Bones, starring David "Megahunk" Boreanz.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Clearly, the new hot procedural is CSI Cyber, now featuring, no joke, very prominent product placement for Blacklight Retribution, available now on PS4 from Perfect World Entertainment!

warning: episode may not feature a PS4 and, in fact, may feature a ripoff of the 360 as its console

also, the scary part? this was the best episode so far, by a considerable margin

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

I WAS JUST GOING TO POST ABOUT THAT

i-is there a hivemind emoticon because i want to find the words for a thing here but all i've got is searching for an emote that may not exist or quoting tabico

also what are you talking about surely the "V box" is an actual console that actually exists i mean painstakingly accurate docudrama CSI Cyber wouldn't lie to us right

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 3, 2015

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Why are there two of you.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Why is there one of you.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Trigger warning that poo poo please

I dunno most posters come in pairs, I make bad puns like Winson, you and FAU post pretty similarly.

It's always good to have a backup in case of emergencies

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

NachtSieger posted:

Why is there one of you.

There is but one God.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

There is but one God.

God has nothing to do with this.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

NOT GONNA LIE THIS IS P. HOT

or at least it's not making the whole hivemind thing any less hot, leeeeet me tell you~♪

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ningyou posted:

NOT GONNA LIE THIS IS P. HOT

or at least it's not making the whole hivemind thing any less hot, leeeeet me tell you~♪

Would you say you don't hive mind the comparison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

NachtSieger posted:

God has nothing to do with this.

If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

• Locked thread